• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Master Chief Collection: H1-4. H2 full remaster. 1080p60. $59.99 Nov 11 Xbox One

ChrisD

Don't own an Xbox One, and I've never cared much for Halo, and this is still amazing. Unless something isn't being said here, this has to be one of the biggest steals ever in the Console space.

Oozer3993

So a tweet from the official Halo Twitter account mentioned 93 multiplayer maps. But the numbers don't quite add up.

Halo: Combat Evolved - 13 Maps
Halo 2 - 12 (on disc) + 11 (DLC)
Halo 3 - 11 (on disc) + 13 (DLC)
Halo 4 - 10 (on disc) + 11 (DLC)

That's 81 maps. If you include the 6 re-done maps, then 87. That leaves 6 PC only maps.

The number of campaign missions from that same tweet is dead on though. 45 between all 4 games, counting the non-playable prologue and epilogue levels from some games and the Armory tutorial from Halo 2.

Metfanant

Excuse me if I missed an earlier explanation...

But how does the multiplayer for this work exactly?...I know they said there is a straight poet of H2's multiplayer...and there is 100 maps..but do we get all 100 maps ported into H2's multiplayer...or does each game have it's own multiplayer mode?

Meaning if I wanna play "Hang em High" for instance..I have to fire up Halo CE's multiplayer...

blamite

9ipzqofl.png

39y9bcvz.png

Okay, so it sucks that they're doing playlists this way, but the fact that they're gonna let you see what maps are in a given playlist before you enter it rad. Hopefully that's something they'll carry forward to Halo 5 as well, it's always been annoying to have to go to out-of-game sources to find out what's going on in all the different playlists.

Excuse me if I missed an earlier explanation...

But how does the multiplayer for this work exactly?...I know they said there is a straight poet of H2's multiplayer...and there is 100 maps..but do we get all 100 maps ported into H2's multiplayer...or does each game have it's own multiplayer mode?

Meaning if I wanna play "Hang em High" for instance..I have to fire up Halo CE's multiplayer...

Each game runs in it's own engine, although you'll seemingly get to all of them through one set of matchmaking playlists.

I onder how stuff like XP and armor unlocking and customization will work? A new system for unlocking items across 3 and 4? There's gonna have to be a huge-ass customization menu to offer separate options for each one of the games.

Tawpgun

The way the playlists are structured is something that they can change in literally a day. I do think there should be a way to filter by game

Hatchtag

Banned
Okay, so it sucks that they're doing playlists this way, but the fact that they're gonna let you see what maps are in a given playlist before you enter it rad. Hopefully that's something they'll carry forward to Halo 5 as well, it's always been annoying to have to go to out-of-game sources to find out what's going on in all the different playlists

Yeah, that seems cool. But they really need to add in the ability to select just one multiplayer. I don't care about fragmenting people, people are gonna want to play different things anyways.

So a tweet from the official Halo Twitter account mentioned 93 multiplayer maps. But the numbers don't quite add up.

Halo: Combat Evolved - 13 Maps
Halo 2 - 12 (on disc) + 11 (DLC)
Halo 3 - 11 (on disc) + 13 (DLC)
Halo 4 - 10 (on disc) + 11 (DLC)

That's 81 maps. If you include the 4 Forge environments Halo 4 has, then 85. And 91 with the 6 remade maps. But that's still two short. I probably just missed 2 maps somewhere. The two extras might just be the Grifball specific layouts for Foundry from Halo 3 and Erosion from Halo 4.

The number of campaign missions from that same tweet is dead on though. 45 between all 4 games, counting the non-playable prologue and epilogue levels from some games and the Armory tutorial from Halo 2.
Are you counting CE and 2's PC maps?

FrankT

Just now watching on my X1 a proper version of the show as I had to make do on my phone earlier.

Holy smokes that Halo 2 multiplayer.

Stunning and dreamy.

Prologue

At least in the IGN video there was no playlist based on which game you wanted. If you pick slayer, when the map vote comes there are 3 options and they could be Team Slayer on Blood Gulch (Halo 1), Team Slayer on Blackout (Halo 3), Team Slayer on Warlock (Halo 2). Vote winner gets loaded up and you play the MP of THAT game.

Meanwhile, multiplayer matchmaking will offer the usual assortment of playlists you’ve come to expect from Halo games – Team Snipers, Rumble Pit, etc. – and let players vote on which map they want next. But what’s cool is that you may be presented with three choices that span three different games. Say, Halo: CE’s “Wizard,” Halo 2’s “Lockout,” and Halo 3’s “The Pit.” Whichever gets the most votes is the game that MCC will launch, after which you’ll be taken back to the multiplayer lobby with your friends."

Expected but really a bummer. At least theres the custom game option. Guess I will be roaming the community thread for this.

ugh...not a fan of this. I don't want half the people leaving as the game starts.

Exactly, all four games play vastly different. I just want to be able to hop into halo 2 matchmaking and just enjoy myself. But now I have to worry about getting matched into three different types of games.

To be brutally honest I'm a little underwhelmed by Halo 2's visuals. I was expecting a much larger leap from Xbox to Xbox One.

Maybe it's about consistency (at 1080p/60) throughout the series (and reusing assets).

And I guess development began early on, after Halo CE Anniversary (They look pretty much the same after all).

Next remake is going to use the Halo 5 engine, hopefully.

Even if these games just had visual touch ups and were still 30fps it's a great bundle, but for halo 2 to have the full anniversary treatment and all titles 60fps 1080p? damn fucking awesome, son.

I was going to finish up my legendary halo 4 run at some point but i'll wait it out, also bullet sponge guardians can get out.

RetroStu

Banned
To be brutally honest I'm a little underwhelmed by Halo 2's visuals. I was expecting a much larger leap from Xbox to Xbox One.

I think they have updated it like they did with the first game, so all 4 games will kind of look like good 360 games.
It would be a bit weird if Halo 2 looked a lot better than Halo 3 and especially 4. Now they will all look at a reasonably similar level and all 4 at 1080p/60fps.

I think they have updated it like they did with the first game, so all 4 games will kind of look like good 360 games.
It would be a bit weird if Halo 2 looked a lot better than Halo 3 and especially 4. Now they will all look at a reasonably similar level and all 4 at 1080p/60fps.

I have a feeling halo 3 will just be higher res and smoother without any new models otherwise they would have said so, they said that halo 2 has had the treatment like halo 1 did, but never bought up halo 3 at all.

Halo 4 looks great as it is due to good art so that's ok.

Whoops. I knew I forgot something in that post lol. No, I'm not including the PC exclusive maps. Frankie mentioned in the IGN stream that they are not included in the Master Chief Collection.

All except for 2 of those maps will be included
Infinity has been confirmed not involved
Timberland and Gephyrophobia have been confirmed
Both Vista PC maps confirmed via Screenshot

So one of Ice Fields, Death Island, Danger Canyon will not be included

Hatchtag

Banned
I think they know people will want to play a single game online.

qDdOepi.png

I don't want to be super negative, but what if he's referring to the campaign?
But a good sign, just want it to be super clear. I need to officially see in big letters that I can just play Halo 1, Halo 2, or Halo 3 before I drop $400 on an Xbox One.

Schmitty

qDdOepi.png

Now I have zero hesitations for this collection. Pretty crazy to think just yesterday I would have never considered getting an Xbox but combined with Kinect out of the box now, this has pushed me over the edge.

Being able to play Halo CE online for the first time on Xbox + getting Halo 2 back after the servers shutdown is awesome.

I'm curious whether our existing service records will carry over to the games (i.e Halo 3) I don't see why not seeing as though its tied to gamertag as well as halo waypoint servers anywho, but it is a new platform....

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
It makes sense that they want to combine all the games into one playlist. The fragmentation issues this collection is going to deal with online are massive.

RetroStu

Banned
I have a feeling halo 3 will just be higher res and smoother without any new models otherwise they would have said so, they said that halo 2 has had the treatment like halo 1 did, but never bought up halo 3 at all.

Halo 4 looks great as it is due to good art so that's ok.

Yeah thats what i mean, they aren't touching Halo 3 and 4 (apart from the 1080p/60fps update) so it would be a little weird if Halo 2 blew the other 3 games away.
I'm pretty sure Halo 2 Anniversary will look like what it would of done if it had come out on the 360 except now it will be 1080p/60fps.

Not sure why they can't have seperate playlists.
Halo 1 playlist
Halo 2 playlist
Halo 3 playlist
Halo 4 playlist
Etc

I'd like H4 to be shoved in its own playlist, just so it never gets to see the light of day again. Well, except for the few hundred people or so who'd play it.

This said, I can't see Halo 4 gaining much share of the votes in matchmaking. It's already failed once.

It's still a very weird way of doing things. From a gameplay perspective, I'd have thought that porting the maps over to H2A (or a new engine based on it) would have been far superior than having a game that plays completely differently from game to game, along with inconsistent feature sets.

Oozer3993

He has said (at least some) Halo PC maps are included.

And there's this screen showing H2V maps.

All except for 2 of those maps will be included
Infinity has been confirmed not involved
Timberland and Gephyrophobia have been confirmed
Both Vista PC maps confirmed via Screenshot

So one of Ice Fields, Death Island, Danger Canyon will not be included

Huh. He specifically said on the IGN stream that no PC maps were included. I guess he misspoke.

E92 M3

qDdOepi.png

Excellent - they'd be crazy to do so much good work and make it where the community decides what gets voted in. If I want to play Halo 2, I want to play Halo 2 and just vote for maps. Skipping around Halo games is too wild - considering they are all rather differently played.

Top Bottom