• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Master Chief Collection: H1-4. H2 full remaster. 1080p60. $59.99 Nov 11 Xbox One

Holy shit at this. With so many great memories of playing Halo 2 online in college, it will be a blast to queue for multiplayer again in the same maps.

ramuh

Holy shit at this. With so many great memories of playing Halo 2 online in college, it will be a blast to queue for multiplayer again in the same maps.

I was stationed in Germany during that time. We ran Cat5 cable through the barracks and had a server and everything (broadband internet was too expensive). That's the only way we played it! I loved those days.

I still remember the cliff hanger and waiting 3 year for halo 3, memories

halo 2 was really amazing when i was a freshman , my cousin and I would play a ton and we lived on opposite sides of the US so it was perfect, all the battles, shit talking, fighting stand by people lol, was amazing

:)

HTupolev

Any 1080p shots of Halo 3 yet?
Shit, I have tons of 1080p Halo 3 screenshots on my computer. Here you go:

G9wzRD4.jpg

Unless of course you mean Master Chief Collection gameplay screenshots ;)

~~Hasan~~

about the multiplayer. how does it work ?

its me who is going to pick what halo multiplayer I want to play from 1 to 4 ?

are all the maps integrated together in a single multiplayer game ?

if its the first, wouldn't that dived all the Halo players to 4 ?

Toa TAK

Banned
Halo CE needs Forge/MAJOR NITPICK

This is literally the best announcement at E3 for me. It's a damn dream come true to have Halo 1-3 on the One, with 1+2 with Anniversary visuals.

THANK YOU 343i!!! This is all I need this fall.

No, armor abilities are gone in Halo 5. Confirmed by Frankie. Spartan abilities are just things like e.g. dual-wielding or boarding in Halo 2 (so: new movement-based game features for Halo 5 multiplayer).

Also, I want to point out a post I wrote a few weeks ago. I still think I wasn't that far off.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113170408&postcount=3052

Maybe the details I wrote about weren't right - but I think something like this in its core is the route 343 will go. Especially if you keep in mind what ntknrl said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98909012&postcount=2246

Oh sweet jesus amen and hallelujah. Reach and Halo 4 killed Halo for me. Killed it. I was more excited for a remake of a 10-year old game (Halo 2) than I was for a new 'next gen' (current gen) game (Halo 5).

If armor abilities and all the bullshit that came with them are gone in Halo 5, maybe, just maybe Halo will be Halo again. It's been a long time, my friend.

I've tried to get into other shooters. Don't care for the MP in CoD. BF is ok but not super fantastic. Got Killzone:SF day one with my PS4 and enjoyed it a bit but felt a little 'meh'. Nothing has ever filled that role again the way H2 and H3 MP did. It's the only FPS that I truly enjoy playing MP. The rest I always just prefer the SP campaigns and skip the MP unless it has achievements.

about the multiplayer. how does it work ?

its me who is going to pick what halo multiplayer I want to play from 1 to 4 ?

are all the maps integrated together in a single multiplayer game ?

if its the first, wouldn't that dived all the Halo players to 4 ?

Dear god somebody please update the OP with these questions that pop up twice on every single page PLEASE.

You can choose if you want to play a mixed playlist containing maps from all four games or playlists that stick to individual games. It sounds like there will be plenty of options to choose from.

Glassboy

I still cannot believe what they did with this collection. Absolutely fucking insane value. I was incredibly disappointed when halo anniversary came and went with no remastered halo 1 multiplayer. I never thought this would happen. Thank you to everyone who made this such a generous package. Really fucking class act by Microsoft/Bungie/343. Bring on halo 1 system link!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The concept of this game sounds amazing.
For Halo 3, what ranking system will be available? The original, or the post update.
Also, will you be able to obtain Recon in H3 without doing some extraordinary? The requirements for Recon in the original were too demanding. :/

Shit, I have tons of 1080p Halo 3 screenshots on my computer. Here you go:

Unless of course you mean Master Chief Collection gameplay screenshots ;)

Shit. I wish the H3 textures got a res upgrade, but I guess that's too much to ask.

ryan299

No, armor abilities are gone in Halo 5. Confirmed by Frankie. Spartan abilities are just things like e.g. dual-wielding or boarding in Halo 2 (so: new movement-based game features for Halo 5 multiplayer).

Edit: Saw the link.

I really think 343 is going to judge halo 5 multiplayer around Chief collection and the beta. People are not going to play Halo 4 at all in the collection's multiplayer, showing that fans want to go back to the roots of Halo.

I really think 343 is going to judge halo 5 multiplayer around Chief collection and the beta. People are not going to play Halo 4 at all in the collection's multiplayer, showing that fans want to go back to the roots of Halo.

We can only hope. I posted this exact idea on TA actually. I have a very strong sense that fan service is part of the equation for why the MP is intact on all 4 titles, but the other part is that they want to use it as a barometer for where to take the franchise.

The player counts dropping off a cliff in Halo 4 (and to a lesser extent Reach) was a big red flag, so they're probably thinking they can see which of the 4 titles maintains the highest player counts on average for the first 3-4 months, and 'tweak' Halo 5's MP to be more inline with that.

So basically we gotta hope the great unwashed masses don't flood Halo 4's playlists for the first few months because of its 'easy mode' armor abilities.

sja_626

So I know it's a Master Chief collection but I notice the Campaign menu has the 4 different games listed under a "Master Chief Saga" subheading or something similar.

Almost as if others, aka ODST, Reach, H4 Spartan Ops? could be included one day under a different subheading. I'd love that. It'd be nice to have full Halo Reach multi and ODST/Reach Firefight too of course but even just their campaigns as DLC or something would be nice to have for completion's sake.

So I know it's a Master Chief collection but I notice the Campaign menu has the 4 different games listed under a "Master Chief Saga" subheading or something similar.

Almost as if others, aka ODST, Reach, H4 Spartan Ops? could be included one day under a different subheading. I'd love that. It'd be nice to have full Halo Reach multi and ODST/Reach Firefight too of course but even just their campaigns as DLC or something would be nice to have for completion's sake.

Spartan Ops was already confirmed by IGNs footage - it's in the multiplayer section.

It would definitely be awesome to see Reach and ODST thrown in too though, and even Halo Wars and Spartan Assault because why not. :p I pitched the idea of an ONI-themed "Halo: Declassified Ops" expansion including all of those games to a friend sort of jokingly, but I could see it happening. Would totally buy too.

mcfrank

So a lot has happened today, but I just keep going back to the fact that in a few short months, I will have a fully online copy of Halo CE. This is the biggest and best gaming news I could have gotten at E3.

I started Halo CE like most people by playing Blood Gulch split screen 2v2. We eventually got a 2nd Xbox and graduated to LAN play specifically because I wanted to practice Microsoft sponsored Halo tournament which HP-Darkman ended up winning. I played in the first round with Darkman in Olathe, Kansas and afterward I went to a 4 Xbox LAN at a gaming center. My brother and I were so hooked on the Halo tournament scene after this experience that we immediately began planning to host a local tournament in Wichita, Kansas. After a few months of planning we had 50 or so people show up for the tournament and I actually ended up winning the tournament. From this tournament we met enough people to form a group on Bungie.net called Wichita Halo which we used to organize LANs and tournaments for the next 3 years. 3 or 4 nights a week we would have at least 12 people at my brother's house playing and we moved from Blood Gulch to the much more competitive and fun game styles like CTF Damnation and TS Chillout. We began creating online tips and trick videos for how to pick up weapons through walls and how to blow the rocket launcher to yourself on a few maps. We began to compete in national tournaments and host more and more local tournaments until I could say that most of my friends were people I met through playing Halo. But, most importantly, from this experience my brother and I grew to be friends again. We had been drifting apart for a while and Halo rekindled our relationship. For that, I have to say thanks to Bungie.

Halo CE was a transformative game in my life, but for the last few years I have only been able to play it with my friends when I was home for Christmas. On November 11th, that all changes. I cannot wait.

Oh geez. really not wanting to spend money on a second console right now; I'm totally enjoying my recent wii u purchase and have plenty of games to keep me busy. But Nov 11 is looking pretty epic at the moment. I've dreamed of playing Halo:CE multiplayer on xbox live for many many years. And halo 2 is pretty fantastic. Frankie you dirty dog!

Odst/reach/wars would be amazing dlc. If they all received the same treatment I'd be so pumped. Maybe the off year after Halo 5? I doubt it'd happen then to be honest, but if it happened somehow it's be really cool.

Well damn, this is incredible news and a huge step in the right direction to getting Halo back to where it belongs

Is there a link to that quote, want to keep it handy for future threads.

Cairo Station. Liek dis if u cry evry tiem
Oh man. I tried Halo Annniversary legendary co-op with a buddy of mine and it fucking broke him. Don't know why, but he lost his shit so many times he just quit out. And that was after very fun and successful legendary runs of Halo 3, ODST, Reach and Halo 4. ODST's final highway section being the hardest of the bunch weirdly enough.

Now I'm scared that Cairo Station might put him in the hospital or something.

Hatchtag

Banned
Odst/reach/wars would be amazing dlc. If they all received the same treatment I'd be so pumped. Maybe the off year after Halo 5? I doubt it'd happen then to be honest, but if it happened somehow it's be really cool.

ODST, Wars, and especially Reach seem likely to me. Reach deserves to be part of this collection, I found it to be really fun up until the bad support for DLC.

What do you mean fuck with it? What was wrong with CEA? And we haven't even heard Halo 2 Anniversary's soundtrack, not really.

What was wrong with Halo: CE that they had to fuck with it in the first place? What's the point? Does music need an HD remake?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/halo-master-chief-collection/

All four games will be practically unchanged, though they will come in 1080p and will run at 60fps; in Halo 2 you'll have the option to switch back-and-forth from the original graphics to the Xbox One engine whenever you want, much like the anniversary edition of Combat Evolved. The soundtracks from the first two games will also be replaced with new music. Every difficulty level, map and mission from all four games will come unlocked, which means you'll be able to play everything from the start, as well as curate playlists and mission types.

The soundtracks from the first two games will also be replaced with new music.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

This will probably end up being my favorite game of all time. I literally am still in disbelief that it has all this content. I thought I would never be able to play Halo 2 online again...

On the flipside, how could Halo 5 even compete with this package? 100 maps is just too crazy.

Woah woah woah...

I think I just had an epiphany...

What... what if they just added the Halo 5 MP to the same "shell" (pool, Hub?) as the master chief collection or vice versa whenever it comes out?!?!

Keanu-Reeves-in-Bill-and--001.jpg

I will admit, I may be suffering hot flashes due to all this great Xbox news.

cool_dude

Banned
So a lot has happened today, but I just keep going back to the fact that in a few short months, I will have a fully online copy of Halo CE. This is the biggest and best gaming news I could have gotten at E3.

I started Halo CE like most people by playing Blood Gulch split screen 2v2. We eventually got a 2nd Xbox and graduated to LAN play specifically because I wanted to practice Microsoft sponsored Halo tournament which HP-Darkman ended up winning. I played in the first round with Darkman in Olathe, Kansas and afterward I went to a 4 Xbox LAN at a gaming center. My brother and I were so hooked on the Halo tournament scene after this experience that we immediately began planning to host a local tournament in Wichita, Kansas. After a few months of planning we had 50 or so people show up for the tournament and I actually ended up winning the tournament. From this tournament we met enough people to form a group on Bungie.net called Wichita Halo which we used to organize LANs and tournaments for the next 3 years. 3 or 4 nights a week we would have at least 12 people at my brother's house playing and we moved from Blood Gulch to the much more competitive and fun game styles like CTF Damnation and TS Chillout. We began creating online tips and trick videos for how to pick up weapons through walls and how to blow the rocket launcher to yourself on a few maps. We began to compete in national tournaments and host more and more local tournaments until I could say that most of my friends were people I met through playing Halo. But, most importantly, from this experience my brother and I grew to be friends again. We had been drifting apart for a while and Halo rekindled our relationship. For that, I have to say thanks to Bungie.

Halo CE was a transformative game in my life, but for the last few years I have only been able to play it with my friends when I was home for Christmas. On November 11th, that all changes. I cannot wait.

Great story. I'm also from Wichita, but I went to KU where my Halo experience began. 16 player parties was amazing, and we had one team playing off a 13" screen, haha. Good times, man.

HTupolev

What was wrong with Halo: CE that they had to fuck with it in the first place? What's the point? Does music need an HD remake?
Strictly speaking, CEA's sound was recorded with noticeably better fidelity. Though I still tend to prefer Marty's arrangements; they're less punchy, but better-articulated. The CEA arrangements fit reasonably nicely with the Anniversary visuals, though.

Ha this is going back to the origins of my xbox live gamertag. When I went to my very first Halo LAN, i used the name Dark Child and everyone thought I was trying to copy Darkman. So I changed it to Moonman and it stuck through xbox live. Slightly updated to Deputy Moonman when I couldn't get my old live account back. Nostalgia trip! At one of our LAN's in Joplin, MO we had a group from Wichita, KS come down, but I didn't know any of the people. Totally know that feel though regarding Halo:CE matchmaking. It gun be real on Nov 11.

Tagyhag

So I haven't seen any info about it but, will the collection be getting the exclusive PC maps for Halo 1 and 2? I need some Death Island and Uplift.

Well, guess next month is time to buy Xbox One. I'm really happy about the fact multiplayer is untouched, but the hopper playlists idea is kinda bad for me. Sure, release them 1080p 60fps, every multiplayer included, but please do not force me to play hopper, cause if i'd want to play H4 multiplayer (which i dont want) I'd just play H4 multiplayer. My interest is focused on good ol' Halo 2 multiplayer (100% Middy and Locky remastered :))

Top Bottom