• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Master Chief Collection: H1-4. H2 full remaster. 1080p60. $59.99 Nov 11 Xbox One

RetroStu

Banned
Anyone else thinking the graphics for H2A are on par with what the 360 could do. It looks great and all but its not exactly next-gen. CEA looked gorgeous so I was expecting more.

Its not finished but i wouldn't expect it o get much better. It would be a bit silly to have a Halo 1-4 collection where Halo 2 is by far the best looking game. It will imo stay close to Halo 4 level so we have a 1080p/60fps Halo collection where all the games look very similar in quality.

Will there be a full achievement set for every single game? They said there was skulls and terminals added to Halo 2 AE.

And what about Spartans themselves? Will there be a create-a-spartan-mode across all the games? And can you use the Halo 4 playset with powerups on Halo 1 maps in the Halo 1 engine?

Just thinking about all the possible algorithims within this makes my head spin. And if Halo 2 now has Forge and Theater mode, how the hell will that work with the other games?

Finally, won't this mean that Halo 3 will be the "ugliest" game of the bunch now?

Will there be a full achievement set for every single game? They said there was skulls and terminals added to Halo 2 AE.
1000 points allocated to each game

And what about Spartans themselves? Will there be a create-a-spartan-mode across all the games? And can you use the Halo 4 playset with powerups on Halo 1 maps in the Halo 1 engine?
doubtful, how would Halo 3-4 armour work in 1-2.

Just thinking about all the possible algorithims within this makes my head spin. And if Halo 2 now has Forge and Theater mode, how the hell will that work with the other games?
Forge and theatre will probably only be on the updated maps, that's my guess

Finally, won't this mean that Halo 3 will be the "ugliest" game of the bunch now?
scarab encounter/ Ark level will make up for it
Answers in bold

Pepiope

Is halo a continuation of a story? I never played any of the Halo games before, so will 1-4 progress like a story or will it not matter what order the campaign is played?

Skele7on

Banned
Pre ordered from game for £50!

I am so so so excited.

PS did anyone else in the UK win those game shares? I got my email yesterday I won £100! Super stoked.

JaggedSac

Bit of a Mega post but just making it to outline to people still confused everything that is in this Halo collection.

Halo CE:Anniversary Campaign. (2 player co-op)
CE:A Old to New Graphics Switching
Halo CE (XBOX 1) Multiplayer in 1080p 60fps (No graphic changes)
Halo CE + PC Maps

Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign (2 player co-op) completely redone graphics for the campaign, new intro and outro cutscnes, cutscenes replaced with high quality CGI by Blur Studios, Graphic switch feature, New skull(s)?
Halo 2 Multiplayer 1080p 60fps (No graphic changes, possibly superjumping broke)
Halo 2 +DLC* + Halo 2 Vista Maps

Halo 3 Campaign 1080p 60fps 4 Player co-op (no graphic changes)
Halo 3 Multiplayer with Forge and Theater intact 1080p 60fps (no graphic changes)
Halo 3 Maps + DLC

Halo 4 Campaign 1080p 60fps 4 Player Co-op (no graphic changes)
Halo 4 Multiplayer 1080p 60fps + Theater, Forge, Spartan Ops (no graphic changes)
Halo 4 Maps + DLC

NEW HALO Xbox One MULTIPLAYER 1080p 60fps
New engine based on amalgamation of the past engines features, Looks like Halo 4 with Halo 2 features, weapons visible on player bodies. Spartans and Elites playable. Halo 2 weapons.
Forge
6 Halo 2 maps completely redone in this Xbox One Engine

Halo 5 Beta.
More info needed

Multiplayer playlists will have gametypes and maps from all 5 Multiplayer titles as voting options. Playlists for specific games will be possible. Campaign playlists will allow players to play things like "every warthog mission from Halo 1-4 one after another" or start at Halo 1 Mission 1 and Play all the way to Halo 4 Final Mission.

Everything unlocked by default, Skulls selectable for every title.

Great compilation, but when did they say Halo 5 was 1080p?

Guerrilla

Think its just frame rate and res. That said, I'm sure we'll be surprised at how well they hold up with higher resolution.

Oh I agree 100%, to me halo ce in its original form still looks good. All the Halo games age exceptionally well graphically.

God I'm excited for this, gonna play through all of them again in coop with a fellow halo loving friend of mine

Kinyou

Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign (2 player co-op) completely redone graphics for the campaign, new intro and outro cutscnes, cutscenes replaced with high quality CGI by Blur Studios, Graphic switch feature, New skull(s)?
Halo 2 Multiplayer 1080p 60fps (No graphic changes, possibly superjumping broke)
Halo 2 +DLC* + Halo 2 Vista Maps
Wait, what? Don't think I like that :/

RetroStu

Banned

To be fair, easily the worst thing about Halo 2 were the horrid cutscenes. The orig Xbox just wasn't powerful enough to do them justice. The devs said you can switch back to the orig Halo 2 graphics in the cutscenes though if thats what you want.

Shadders

I am so pumped for this game. It's the hero of E3 so far as I'm concerned.

I just want to see more of it!

It's pretty weird Amazon are selling a 360 version of this, which I assume doesn't exist? Did they mock up that boxart themselves?

What's not to like?
From
e3-2014-halo-2-anniversary-comparison---johnson---classic-c994f6c342cb44469e2f8da7a65323da.jpg

To
e3-2014-halo-2-anniversary-comparison---johnson---remastered-35acfa53ff964560867df57c786e3fb2.jpg

No, it won't. It will be the one that benefits the most from the resolution bump. Halo 3's major flaw was its poor IQ. Having the game run in 1080p and 60fps is going to be glorious with that lighting. The only thing that is going to still look like crap is the human models, mostly those of the marines and Lord Hood. I take from Frank's words that some elements had to be redone for Halo 3/4. I bet it's mostly the lowres backdrops that stick out like a sore thumb. Otherwise I expect those games, particularly 4, to look stellar.

What worries me is that the same poor audio compression might still be in during cutscenes in Halo 4. Please, Frank, say it isn't so...

By far the best thing shown off at E3, IMO. I can't wait to play through Halo 1-4 on Legendary again. Also, that exact same H2 MP!! How am I suppose to pass all my finals next semester?

Kinyou

To be fair, easily the worst thing about Halo 2 were the horrid cutscenes. The orig Xbox just wasn't powerful enough to do them justice. The devs said you can switch back to the orig Halo 2 graphics in the cutscenes though if thats what you want.
True, especially the animations were godawful. Though in Halo CE they did seem to manage to upgrade those animations while in the improved graphics mode . Think I would have preferred something similar to that.

What's not to like?
I just dislike a little that it will conflict with the graphics of the actual game. Otherwise I'm a total sucker for CGI done by Blur

NEW HALO Xbox One MULTIPLAYER 1080p 60fps

Or maybe I am misunderstanding you. This not referring to Halo 5?

Nope, Halo 5 is a different beast. This is a modified Halo 4 engine with a Halo 2 feature set and6 Halo 2 maps as a bonus. It's basically a remastered Halo 2 Multiplayer separate from the Halo 2 multiplayer. It seems to have been a Certain Affinity project or at least they have big involvement in it.

The graphic switch button gives you the old cutscenes still but the new CGI content by Blur will be great, The Halo Spartan Ops content they made was pretty mind blowing.

2555047-e3+2014+halo+2+anniversary+cinematic+-+johnson+-+i+know+what+the+ladies+like.jpg

Listen up marines.

FrankT

Got to imagine they are going for 900p with the 60fps for 5. 1080p would be nice but Frankie man would have to pull out some serious secret sauce to pull that off.

I don't know if it would had been more natural going with 1080p 30 if they could pull it. Should be an interesting debate going forward.

RetroStu

Banned
Got to imagine they are going for 900p with the 60fps for 5. 1080p would be nice but Frankie man would have to pull out some serious secret sauce to pull that off.

I don't know if it would had been more natural going with 1080p 30 if they could pull it. Should be an interesting debate going forward.

I would of thought they would be aiming for 1080p/60fps with Halo 5, especially after releasing a Halo Collection that has all the Halo games at 1080p/60fps.
Most consumers who are not as indepth with news as us will probably assume Halo 5 will be 1080p/60fps as the halo Collection is so it could cause confusion/negativity if it isn't.

Imo we shouldn't expect Halo 5 to look drastically better than what Halo 4 will look like at 1080p/60fps.

FrankT

I would of thought they would be aiming for 1080p/60fps with Halo 5, especially after releasing a Halo Collection that has all the Halo games at 1080p/60fps.
Most consumers who are not as indepth with news as us will probably assume Halo 5 will be 1080p/60fps as the halo Collection is so it could cause confusion/negativity if it isn't.

Imo we shouldn't expect Halo 5 to look drastically better than what Halo 4 will look like at 1080p/60fps.

I'm all for it I just think they are going to have a hard time pulling it off. Don't think they are there yet as I'm sure they would have touted the point yesterday.

Akai__

Is halo a continuation of a story? I never played any of the Halo games before, so will 1-4 progress like a story or will it not matter what order the campaign is played?

Yes, it is a continuation of a story. If you want to play all of them in the right chronological order, you have to play them like this:

Halo Wars, Halo Reach, Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 ODST, Halo 3 and Halo 4.

The spinoff titles (Halo Wars, Halo Reach and Halo 3 ODST) are not needed to get Master Chief's story, though. They just give you more insight about the whole story behind Halo.

hlhbk

I am a PS4/Wii U owner and I preordered a kinectless Xbox One just for the rumor of this collection. This is the first collection since the Orange Box to have this kind of Value. I like the Halo Multiplayer but I also love the campaigns. That being said I have never played through Halo 2's or 4's campaigns so I am pretty excited. I have also never played all the way through Reach's campaign. Is it worth playing through that before the collection comes put?

rrc1594

I am a PS4/Wii U owner and I preordered a kinectless Xbox One just for the rumor of this collection. I like the Halo Multiplayer but I also love the campaigns. That being said I have never played through Halo 2's or 4's campaigns so I am pretty excited. I have also never played all the way through Reach's campaign. Is it worth playing through that before the collection comes put?

Yes. Very emotional and sad.

Shadders

This really makes the GTAV and Last of Us next gen rereleases look like a crock of shite.

Those other two are great games (obviously), but in light of this, they're taking the piss a bit if they think they can charge $60/£40 for a game we played last year. Whereas 343 have clearly done everything they can to make this as generous a package as they could.

Realistically, if this was Halo 4 Remastered, they'd still sell a ton of them at $60, so to give us 3 other games too is just an unbelievable package.

TRI Mike

I'm really happy about this collection. I was alwasy a huge fan of the original trilogy and mourned the loss of Halo 2 when the servers of Original Xbox died. So it's really great to see it back.

JB1981

Halo 3 should have gotten the Anniversary treatment since that has a much, much better single player campaign compared to 2. Halo 2 campaign was terrible.

This thread is confusing, all these different engines, a 2nd halo 2 map-engine MP mode? this is not going to help until microsoft clear this all up fully and explain what's going on with the MP side of things other then they can play in the same hoppers.

Part of the halo 2 anniversary thing makes me think it was originally in works for the 360 but was bought over to this collection, the updated visuals match what H1A was given, if not a little worse.

Not since Orange Box has there ever been such overwhelming value in a bundle. I would honestly pay $60 for H3 stand alone and another $60 for H2.

Playing campaign H3 at 60fps and then H2 mp is going to be all I do this fall.

Unbelievable

Top Bottom