• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

watership

H4's cutscenes were in-engine.

The only ones that weren't, were Halo Wars.

And the opening cut scene with the ONI/Halsey interrogation. Right? I have to rewatch that, I thought they were on a different level than the rest of the game and were like Halo Wars prerendered.

What is the point of not allowing party chat if people will then mute eachother?

FryGlare.gif

OldRoutes

And the opening cut scene with the ONI/Halsey interrogation. Right? I have to rewatch that, I thought they were on a different level than the rest of the game and were like Halo Wars prerendered.

That's not a cut-scene, that's an intro. The outro is CG too.

Sephzilla

Think we will get BR starts across the board on Halo 2 playlists? I cringe at the sight of SMG starts....:(

I'd rather have SMG starts honestly, it's not like BRs are that hard to find on most maps. I love the Halo 2 BR, but when they went to BR starts it felt like Bungie was caving to the people who were too dependent on pistol starts in Halo 1, if that makes sense to anyone else.

I'd rather have SMG starts honestly, it's not like BRs are that hard to find on most maps. I love the Halo 2 BR, but when they went to BR starts it felt like Bungie was caving to the people who were too dependent on pistol starts in Halo 1, if that makes sense to anyone else.

One of the things I'm worried about when returning to Halo 2 is the sniper-like precision of the BR. Turned some matches into bad ping fests.

Sephzilla

One of the things I'm worried about when returning to Halo 2 is the sniper-like precision of the BR. Turned some matches into bad ping fests.

I don't think it will be that bad, even in Halo 2 on the original Xbox it wasn't that rough. So long as you don't get caught out in the wide open or get in a 3v1 fight, you'll be fine. Even with the BR's precision in Halo 2, it wasn't on the same tier as the Halo 1 pistol (but it's the closest we'll ever get to a single dominant weapon like that ever again).

What I'm looking forward to is the fresh meat who've never played Halo 2 before and won't understand how godlike the PP+BR combo was in that game.

I don't think it will be that bad, even in Halo 2 on the original Xbox it wasn't that rough. So long as you don't get caught out in the wide open or get in a 3v1 fight, you'll be fine. Even with the BR's precision in Halo 2, it wasn't on the same tier as the Halo 1 pistol (but it's the closest we'll ever get to a single dominant weapon like that ever again).

What I'm looking forward to is the fresh meat who've never played Halo 2 before and won't understand how godlike the PP+BR combo was in that game.

One of the most aggravating aspect of any Halo's multiplayer.

Sephzilla

One of the most aggravating aspect of any Halo's multiplayer.

The charged plasma pistol shot in that game desperately needed to be nerfed. The charged shot simply traveled too fast and it could make near 90 degree turns if the target tried to run for cover. That shit was scary.

I was a strong believer in the noob combo, but if course if it was used against me they were unskilled scumbags! Death to those who used it against me! ;)

Sephzilla

I was a strong believer in the noob combo, but if course if it was used against me they were unskilled scumbags! Death to those who used it against me! ;)

lol. no joke, it's been years since I've heard the term "noob combo" be used. that takes me back.

I know 343 is adamant about keeping Halo 2's multiplayer the same as it used to be, but I really think they should make a couple of common sense adjustments like tweaking the plasma pistol and taking out some super bounces.

The charged plasma pistol shot in that game desperately needed to be nerfed. The charged shot simply traveled too fast and it could make near 90 degree turns if the target tried to run for cover. That shit was scary.

It was Halo 2's get-of-jail-free maneuver, and was worse than anything in Halo 3 because you could use it over and over again.

lol. no joke, it's been years since I've heard the term "noob combo" be used. that takes me back.

I know 343 is adamant about keeping Halo 2's multiplayer the same as it used to be, but I really think they should make a couple of common sense adjustments like tweaking the plasma pistol and taking out some super bounces.

Super bounces are apparently either gone or changed, on account of the boost to 1080p messing up the pixel-perfect physics bugs. As for the other stuff, I think you might see them do that in H2A. They've axed the button combos, for instance. I don't think a PP rebalance is totally out of the question.

Sephzilla

Super bounces are apparently either gone or changed, on account of the boost to 1080p messing up the pixel-perfect physics bugs. As for the other stuff, I think you might see them do that in H2A. They've axed the button combos, for instance. I don't think a PP rebalance is totally out of the question.

I thought 343 said button combo/exploits (specifically BXR) was going to be kept in the game? I'd rather have a PP rebalance happen to original Halo 2 and not have it be exclusive to H2A, if possible.

*Sigh* It's been so long since I've had any kind of dedicated conversation or thought about Halo 2. I need this game to come out so bad

Bsigg12

I thought 343 said button combo/exploits (specifically BXR) was going to be kept in the game? I'd rather have a PP rebalance happen to original Halo 2 and not have it be exclusive to H2A, if possible.

*Sigh* It's been so long since I've had any kind of dedicated conversation or thought about Halo 2. I need this game to come out so bad

Button glitches won't work on the H2A maps. It'll still happen on classic Halo 2 though.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Exactly, so in turn this kills the social aspect of team based games unless you've got a party chat full of everyone on your team.

My buddies aren't always available to play when I am, so it sucks going into a bigass game like Battlefield and not hearing a single peep out of anyone. "OH SHIT DUDE LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!" *teammate dies because he didn't hear me*

Multiplayer on the Xbox was great because of all the chatter going on, The original Gears was great on the 360 when party chat hadn't hit yet. Great smack talk in the lobby and then you got to gloat or shut up at the end of the round when you did or didn't back up the smack talk.

I know everyone has different opinions on this, and this is just mine :)
Well muthafucking said. I absolutely hate party chat and what it did to online socializing over Live. My fondest memories of Halo 2 are playing in groups with guys all around the US. We all became good online friends and that just occurred through talking around in games. Even taking away the tactical aspects, just meeting new people is enjoyable enough for me to wish the death of party chat.

fig,heather_grey,mens,ffffff.2u1.jpg

beautiful

something i just thought of regarding the MCC and Halo 5

Halo-GAF, what would you think about giving each player at the beginning of their multiplayer career the choice to have their stats recorded or not?
or like battlelog does it, giving the option to hide it except for your friends or yourself

that way the weaker players among us that feel uncomfortable with their K/Ds would not feel exposed
also im sure everyone in here had those games where people checked your teams K/Ds in the loading lobby and quitted directly just to prevent a potential slaughter
it might even help greatly towards general camping among certain players

personally while i dont care that much about my stats i once in a while find myself feeling angry after a game that clearly didnt play in favour of my stats
having the options to not record stats at all or have them private could however prevent that and maybe even increase the multiplayer experience

just think about how it was back in the shooter-days, no stats recording at all
personally i find it a bit unfortunate that nowadays each game is recording your stats without permission, i mean come on, wheres the privacy? ;)

There's hardly any particular "typical" arrangement to encounters in Halo 1, and changing up the order of killing is often very practical. For instance, although elites might be harder to get to when their grunts and jackals are still alive, taking them out can cause the crowd of deadly plasma pistols to disperse and you can finish them super easily.

Also, pistol is pretty wimpy versus elite's shields. It's serviceable for that purpose in some mid-long range situations, but it's simply not very powerful in that role. Even the weakest shielded elites in the game, blue elites on easy, take four pistol shots to kill. I'm not sure where the notion that elites in Halo 1 are a general 3sk comes from, that's baffling nonsense.

There are a lot of ways to play the game (which kinda refutes my point in the first place but whatever). That might have been just how I targeted most of my situations. But to me there seems to be two general ways to go about each encounter. You either take down the elite, everyone scatters, or you pick of the little guys and leave the elite last to take down, It does change depending on volumes of enemies (like if theres 10 grunts and 1 elite, take the 1 elite down and pick off the scattering grunts), but the fact that grunts tend to be the first enemies you see (mostly because they are sent out by their respective elites), the picking can be more effective at times as well.

I will say that in 4 there are slight variations to the Promethan encounters but it stays the same that you have to take out the Watchers before the Knights. But the Crawlers do add a cool element to the game, because they can snipe from the back or be up close, which they remind me of Jackals with melee attributes.

I already explained the pistol issue in an above post. It was my mistake. But I did take most of my information from the Halo Wiki. Again it might be wrong as well, but most of the info there seems reliable to a good extent. It may be 3 direct head shots? I would also assume a plasma pistol and the pistol combo would be a more sure way to kill elites. The same way a plasma pistol and a BR (and DMR in later iterations) work in halo 2 onwards on enemies. I probably shouldn't have added the 3sK part.

Rockyrock

Halo-GAF, what would you think about giving each player at the beginning of their multiplayer career the choice to have their stats recorded or not?
or like battlelog does it, giving the option to hide it except for your friends or yourself

that way the weaker players among us that feel uncomfortable with their K/Ds would not feel exposed
also im sure everyone in here had those games where people checked your teams K/Ds in the loading lobby and quitted directly just to prevent a potential slaughter

personally while i dont care that much about my stats i once in a while find myself feeling angry after a game that clearly didnt play in favour of my stats
having the options to not record stats at all or have them private could however prevent that and maybe even increase the multiplayer experience

personally i find it a bit unfortunate that nowadays each game is recording your stats without permission, i mean come on, wheres the privacy? ;)
would be pretty dumb if you could choose to not save your stats every time you have a bad game.

I see no harm in being able to toggle private/public though.

http://halo.bungie.net/Stats/PlayerStatsHalo2.aspx?player=xImmortal007x
DEM STATS DOE'

Stats mean nothing except to the uber nerds tbh. If someone brings up your stats in an online game to discourage you then they've got bigger problems than you do.

Booties

Banned
Man now I'm looking through my old stats.

Kind of sad that these stats wont carry over into the MCC

Fresh start. I lost my gamertag back in 2006. I did know until just now that when I got my oiriginal name back that all my stats were still intact. Man I used to suuuuuuck.

Stats mean nothing except to the uber nerds tbh. If someone brings up your stats in an online game to discourage you then they've got bigger problems than you do.

for you and me they might mean nothing, but for others they do
so why leave them out in the rain when the solution is so obious

imo halo could greatly benefit from an option to private or public your stats in both ingame and waypoint

- stats become a less personal target in flame-pms
- less cowardish/camping gameplay
- less people going for kills rather than the objective to increase stats (king of the hill eg)
- less people leaving the lobby before the game starts as they saw your parties stats
- less people solely playing vehicles only to gain stats
- less people solely camping for power weapons

(yet i guess sites like halotracker could still grab the server-results so its rather pointless)

Shadders

Prometheans needed hit feedback

Bingo! It was there, but nowhere near as clear as any other enemy in any other Halo game. It's what made them feel so bullet spongy.

If they reacted appropriately to being shot they could have been decent to fight.

The Watchers were just as annoying as every flying enemy we've ever had in Halo, it's just very hard to track an enemy diagonally on an analogue stick,

TTUVAPOR

Banned

I won't get into many details, because if I do, it'll just start a huge debate, but I'll say this, I don't like SMG starts for the reason that when you spawn, you immediately are being punished simply for spawning because anyone with a rifle whether it be a BR, Carbine, or Sniper, immediately can kill you with little to no effort because you only have and SMG and some grenades.

Sephzilla

Your gamertag your username?

Yep

Man, I miss Halo 2 a ton. (The first two pages look like anomalies compared to later pages of matches though)

http://halo.bungie.net/stats/Player...0_mainContent_bnetpgl_recentgamesChangePage=1

I won't get into many details, because if I do, it'll just start a huge debate, but I'll say this, I don't like SMG starts for the reason that when you spawn, you immediately are being punished simply for spawning because anyone with a rifle whether it be a BR, Carbine, or Sniper, immediately can kill you with little to no effort because you only have and SMG and some grenades.

See, I think that should be part of a perk for map control. The people who got the BR/Carbine/Sniper should dominate because they managed to get said weapon. I totally understand that it's very hard to fight back against that on some maps with an SMG, but I think too many people were spoiled in Halo 1 by spawning with the best weapon in the game and didn't know how to adapt in Halo 2.

hehehelizard.jpg

TTUVAPOR

Banned
See, I think that should be part of a perk for map control. The people who got the BR/Carbine/Sniper should dominate because they managed to get said weapon. I totally understand that it's very hard to fight back against that on some maps with an SMG, but I think too many people were spoiled in Halo 1 by spawning with the best weapon in the game and didn't know how to adapt in Halo 2.

Ahhh....I can't help but disagree.

Here's why. You just said "part of a perk for map control"...why should that even be an element of the game in the first place?

That's the diff between Halo CE and H2 default, HCE was balanced because the power weapon holders were not guaranteed "freebie" kills. Saying CE players couldn't adapt to H2's SMG start is a cop-out excuse.

The SMG start is a poor design choice by the original developers. The game needs spawn players with a fair and accurate weapon that can defend themselves from all ranges off respawn.

The perk thing you mentioned, that's exactly what Bungie had in mind when they designed the game. I've heard that same logic so many times since 2004...it's bad, bad logic. Do you really feel that you should be continuously punished with a crappy starting weapon and continue to die till you happen to get a lucky respawn? That's what SMG starts in H2 are. Why should a power weapon holder get more power other than simply having the weapon they have?

In HCE the default pistol could challenge the sniper. It relies on individual skill rather than team work. This is a big reason why CEs skill gap is by far the largest in all of the Halos.

Sephzilla

Here's why. You just said "part of a perk for map control"...why should that even be an element of the game in the first place?

That's the diff between Halo CE and H2 default, HCE was balanced because the power weapon holders were not guaranteed "freebie" kills. Saying CE players couldn't adapt to H2's SMG start is a cop-out excuse.

The SMG start is a poor design choice by the original developers. The game needs spawn players with a fair and accurate weapon that can defend themselves from all ranges off respawn.

The perk thing you mentioned, that's exactly what Bungie had in mind when they designed the game. I've heard that same logic so many times since 2004...it's bad, bad logic. Do you really feel that you should be continuously punished with a crappy starting weapon and continue to die till you happen to get a lucky respawn? That's what SMG starts in H2 are. Why should a power weapon holder get more power other than simply having the weapon they have?

A weapon that gives them a fair chance to survive from all ranges at respawn is effectively like giving them the all around best weapon in the game though. I mean, what's the point of even bothering to find weapons on the map if you spawn with a weapon that can do whatever job you need done effectively? This is a huge problem with Halo 4 and was also an issue with Halo 1 as well.

Map control is almost entirely gone in Halo 4 because most people already spawn with the most all around best weapons in the game. In Halo 1 the sniper rifle was only really viable on Blood Gulch, Sidewinder, and Boarding Action because every other map could easily be covered by the pistol. Rockets and shotties were only viable in somewhat specific situations.

The whole point of "power weapons" is pretty much to score freebie kills, along with dictating the flow of a match. Taking away that aspect of power weapons kind of takes away the point of the weapon entirely.

And here's the thing with SMG starts - in the release build of Halo 2, SMGs were fairly viable weapons. In close quarters maps, SMG+grenade combos could be more effective than ranged weapons. Plus the SMG+Plasma Rifle combination in the vanilla build was actually pretty deadly. The SMG didn't become truly useless until later patches when they started tinkering with the damage output of certain dual wielding combinations.

Do you really feel that you should be continuously punished with a crappy starting weapon and continue to die till you happen to get a lucky respawn? That's what SMG starts in H2 are. Why should a power weapon holder get more power other than simply having the weapon they have?

I feel like there is flawed logic in here. You aren't being punished for not having a lucky respawn, you're being punished for letting the other team get the better weapon before your team got it. Everyone starts off on equal footing at the start of the game, and its up to you and your team to establish dominance on the map and to maintain that dominance.

The entire point of a power weapon is to have more power over your opponent, that's why it's called a power weapon.

Isnt that why theyre including more mid range non power weapons on the maps like the Assault Rifle and Silenced SMG? Theres more to map control than just getting the weapons or waiting for them to spawn. Theres taking advantage of the map itself and maneuvering around it properly to get the upperhand on the opponent with the BR or Sniper

Fatmanp

Yep

Man, I miss Halo 2 a ton. (The first two pages look like anomalies compared to later pages of matches though)

http://halo.bungie.net/stats/Player...0_mainContent_bnetpgl_recentgamesChangePage=1

Map control does not exist with SMG starts because there has to be give and take. The first team to get a BR/power weapon and set up wins the game. With BR starts you actually have to work as a team for the entire game to hold a set up. A perfect example would be team oddball on lockout. As soon as one team has the ball and the BR/Sniper at BR tower/Window, the game is over. With an SMG it is a near unbreakable set up because you put one person on BR3 and on in the window to watch the lower walkways and its over. Also take into account that there are 3 BR spawns on the map, two right next to your set up and one in plain sight. Then you have sword underneath and the sniper spawn again in plain sight.You cannot lay any covering fire down without the rifles thus you get spawn trapped and everybody rage quits.

Rifles starts mean that it is more difficult to hold a set up as well as create one. A starting weapon should never be one that you intend to drop immediately and that is what the SMG and AR in halo games are.

Map control does not exist with SMG starts because there has to be give and take. The first team to get a BR/power weapon and set up wins the game
I mean if youre mindlessly trying to be all "legit" and kill that person by yourself instead of working with your team, and not taking advantage of properly maneuvering around the map, or using grenades, then yeah, youd be right.

Sephzilla

Map control does not exist with SMG starts because there has to be give and take. The first team to get a BR/power weapon and set up wins the game. With BR starts you actually have to work as a team for the entire game to hold a set up. A perfect example would be team oddball on lockout. As soon as one team has the ball and the BR/Sniper at BR tower/Window, the game is over. With an SMG it is a near unbreakable set up because you put one person on BR3 and on in the window to watch the lower walkways and its over. Also take into account that there are 3 BR spawns on the map, two right next to your set up and one in plain sight. Then you have sword underneath and the sniper spawn again in plain sight.You cannot lay any covering fire down without the rifles thus you get spawn trapped and everybody rage quits.

Rifles starts mean that it is more difficult to hold a set up as well as create one. A starting weapon should never be one that you intend to drop immediately and that is what the SMG and AR in halo games are.

The oddball on lockout example is more a case of exploiting level design more so than SMG starts. BR starts didn't change that scenario much at all when they were implemented in Halo 2. Plus that's also an example of superior teamwork. I've seen the lockout sniper position broken by coordinated assaults enough times to know that a coordinated team with SMGs can overpower a less coordinated team that manages to have a couple of BRs & a power weapon. Heck, I've seen solo sword carriers bust that position. (For the record, I've always thought Lockout was kind of an overrated map anyway)

Flipside argument - what's the point of even bothering to look at weapons on the map if the weapon you spawn with is almost unilaterally superior to 70% of the items laying on the ground? Case in point with Halo 1 - unless it's an RPG, shotgun, or sniper, you generally forgot most other weapons on the map existed unless you managed to run out of ammo for your spawn weapon.

If anything, the flaw in Halo 2 wasn't necessarily that you started with SMGs but just that there may have not been enough weapons on certain maps in general.

(I should probably just shut up for the sake of the thread, this is something I can talk about forever)

The oddball on lockout example is more a case of exploiting level design more so than SMG starts. BR starts didn't change that scenario much at all when they were implemented in Halo 2. Plus that's also an example of superior teamwork. I've seen the lockout sniper position broken by coordinated assaults enough times to know that a coordinated team with SMGs can overpower a less coordinated team that manages to have a couple of BRs & a power weapon. Heck, I've seen solo sword carriers bust that position. (For the record, I've always thought Lockout was kind of an overrated map anyway)

Flipside argument - what's the point of even bothering to look at weapons on the map if the weapon you spawn with is almost unilaterally superior to 70% of the items laying on the ground? Case in point with Halo 1 - unless it's an RPG, shotgun, or sniper, you generally forgot most other weapons on the map existed unless you managed to run out of ammo for your spawn weapon.

If anything, the flaw in Halo 2 wasn't necessarily that you started with SMGs but just that there may have not been enough weapons on certain maps in general.

(I should probably just shut up for the sake of the thread, this is something I can talk about forever)

Your issues lie with a fundamental problem Halo hasn't yet addressed since its inception, but starting players with SMGs/ARs would be going backwards.

Players should never spawn without a mid-ranged, headshot capable weapon that has a scope. They need to be able to assist teammates from range, ping snipers watching their spawns, and quickly jump back into the fight. The need to pick up a BR off of the map slows the game down and creates a myriad of other problems regardless of the skill of the teams.

But the fault lies in the way the sandbox treats automatic weapons. These are made to be entry-level spray-and-pray weapons that are easy to get kills with, and that's a big part of the problem. By design, they end up being vastly inferior to the precision weapons. IMO, it should be the opposite. Autos that are placed on the map should have an important and relevant advantage over the other weapons. ARs would have big magazines and give the player better camoflauge; Plasma Rifles would stun players; Brute/Forerunner weapons would leave sustained damage or do more damage when you have an overshield, and so on. By making them powerful, giving them unique traits, and reducing their aim assist and stability, they'll be desirable and take skill to use.

This way, we'd give players a capable utility weapon off of spawn - one that can still outpace these automatics and support you throughout the entire game if you so choose - and then we'd place competent autos on the map and treat them like mid-tier weapons, instead of something you just throw away when you find a BR. If you're going to pick up Camo, maybe you'd go pick up the AR for the increased camoflauge. If you've picked up Overshield, maybe you'll dual wield spikers to make use of those perks.

IMO, this increases the meta game, broadens the sandbox, and doesn't handicap people off of their spawn. The best part is, this was already in the game to an extent. The AR made your camo activate faster in Halo CE. CE's Plasma Rifle also had plasma stun, and Brute weapons did extra melee damage in Halo 3.

FyreWulff

I miss walking up to stationary players and hearing bong rips over my headset.

Or people playing music constantly, and since the voice output was positional if you had it sent to headphones, it constantly told you where they were hiding or coming from in the base. lol

Your issues lie with a fundamental problem Halo hasn't yet addressed since its inception, but starting players with SMGs/ARs would be going backwards.

Players should never spawn without a mid-ranged, headshot capable weapon that has a scope. They need to be able to assist teammates from range, ping snipers watching their spawns, and quickly jump back into the fight. The need to pick up a BR off of the map slows the game down and creates a myriad of other problems regardless of the skill of the teams.

But the fault lies in the way the sandbox treats automatic weapons. These are made to be entry-level spray-and-pray weapons that are easy to get kills with, and that's a big part of the problem. By design, they end up being vastly inferior to the precision weapons. IMO, it should be the opposite. Autos that are placed on the map should have an important and relevant advantage over the other weapons. ARs would have big magazines and give the player better camoflauge; Plasma Rifles would stun players; Brute/Forerunner weapons would leave sustained damage or do more damage when you have an overshield, and so on. By making them powerful, giving them unique traits, and reducing their aim assist and stability, they'll be desirable and take skill to use.

This way, we'd give players a capable utility weapon off of spawn - one that can still outpace these automatics and support you throughout the entire game if you so choose - and then we'd place competent autos on the map and treat them like mid-tier weapons, instead of something you just throw away when you find a BR. If you're going to pick up Camo, maybe you'd go pick up the AR for the increased camoflauge. If you've picked up Overshield, maybe you'll dual wield spikers to make use of those perks.

IMO, this increases the meta game, broadens the sandbox, and doesn't handicap people off of their spawn. The best part is, this was already in the game to an extent. The AR made your camo activate faster in Halo CE. CE's Plasma Rifle also had plasma stun, and Brute weapons did extra melee damage in Halo 3.

I agree with everything in this post. Very well said.

Sephzilla

This is an excellent post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom