• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:MCC special cellector edition kickstarter launched in China

KS is pretty good for Early access games like these.

We already got to try the Alpha version, looks like other get in on the fun now. Good stuff MS.

Gskyace

Why are they calling it a kickstarter? This is just selling a product if demand reaches a certain threshold, right?

EDIT: Did the source call it a kickstarter or is this just the OP calling it that?

光环:士官长合集 珍藏纪念版
2015/07/30-2015/08/29 火热筹款中

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Special Collector Edition
2015/07/30-2015/08/29 In Kickstarting

weird... MS really shouldn't be calling it that. Dumb move from a PR standpoint. People will run with this even though it's nothing like what people assume from a kickstarter project.

demigod

It looks like both. The 1RMB thing is a lottery ticket for just the game, the higher ones are the product itself.

I read that at first too but reading it again its for the xbox bundle.

Their distributor probably has too many xbox ones collecting dust and can't afford to lose more money :p.

moered6

Banned
I read that at first too but reading it again its for the xbox bundle.

Their distributor probably has too many xbox ones collecting dust and can't afford to lose more money :p.

considering these are halo bundles ( a game that has not released there yet, you aren't making a lot of sense)

I don't understand.

The game is being released as normal. If you want a special edition, you pledge, and if it hits a certain amount the project is official and you get your special edition. Seems to just be gauging interest for a special edition of the console and game.

eFKac

Michael-Scott-What-reaction-gifrific.gif

Nzyme32

weird... MS really shouldn't be calling it that. Dumb move from a PR standpoint. People will run with this even though it's nothing like what people assume from a kickstarter project.

I'd take a strong guess that that is a bad translation of the wording

Gskyace

How to explain 众筹 means kickstarter in Chinese?
The project is on JD's website, and that website is for their kickstarter project.
And the tag for it is kickstarter, with the stat saying kickstarting.

Nzyme32

The project is on JD's website.

"Kickstarting" doesn't mean the same thing there as it does here. Here you are basing it off the company and what they do. This has nothing to do with that. It has no relevance to China

watership

OP. Is this XBOX/MICROSOFT doing the kickstarter, or is this a 3rd partying doing it? Please be more clear. Your post is huge with detail but completely confuses this issue. Half the comments already think MS is doing it.

Edit: Now i'm more confused. :)

Gskyace

So why say Xbox China is doing the kickstarter?

Check out for yourself, if you understand Chinese.
http://z.jd.com/project/details/19189.html

The project is started by Microsoft Xbox, verified by JD.com
All projects under this tag in this website are kickstarter project, because the tag is called 众筹, which means kickstarter in Chinese.

The project is on JD's website.
Saying this is because I can not just post google translated copy of this page to you to explain.
Because there is no kickstarter in the project's name if you do the search and google can't even translate this word.

The site that this..."fund raising" is hosted on, is basically China's version of Kickstarter.

The alternative would be literally translate it and call it a MCC Special Edition Fund Raiser.

watership

Ahh okay. It's a crowdfunding site but not called kickstarter. And it is from MS/Xbox China. That's so weird that it's just for a special edition set.

Title is misleading as fuck, though.

So it's a seller doing a sort-of kickstarter with Microsoft for a special chinese physical edition of the game, which is releasing anyway regardless of this.

Guess a lot of people don't read the op. xD

Iorv3th

Title is misleading as fuck, though.

So it's a seller doing a sort-of kickstarter with Microsoft for a special chinese physical edition of the game, which is releasing anyway regardless of this.

Guess a lot of people don't read the op. xD

Yourself included. It is by MS China.

All projects under this tag in this website are kickstarter project, because the tag is called 众筹, which means kickstarter in Chinese.

Saying this is because I can not just post google translated copy of this page to you to explain.
Because there is no kickstarter in the project's name if you do the search and google can't even translate this word.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Okay, but it seems to me that this is more of a "let's see if people are interested in this" rather than "let's get people to throw money that we can use to make this" thing. Could just be me, though.

Thread title is misleading and should read that it's a collector's edition being kickstarted if I'm understanding this correctly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Okay, but it seems to me that this is more of a "let's see if people are interested in this" rather than "let's get people to throw money that we can use to make this" thing. Could just be me, though.

That is the same thing. Gauging interest is the whole premise of the Kick-starting project. If nobody has interest, chances are the project will not take off. It is just semantics to fit a narrative otherwise.

The gray area between "gauging interest" and "use the money to make this thing" is the fact that this project still has a "monetary goal" of $80k for this project to go-ahead.

Yes, like all KS, the backers at certain tiers are rewarded with the game, etc,etc, and even those donating just 15 cents get a lucky draw chance to win an XB1 bundle, but structurally, it's pretty much a KS, even if it's pretty much more a marketing scheme than anything else.

etta

my hard graphic balls
That is the same thing. Gauging interest is the whole premise of the Kick-starting project. If nobody has interest, chances are the project will not take off. It is just semantics to fit a narrative otherwise.
But aren't these bundles already ready to be given out, lottery style? How is this the same as crowdfunding a new watch that you only have concepts of and haven't started making any components yet?

Gskyace

Still some kind of strange. If they will do it anyway, they can announce it on Halo night.

I just don't understand why 29999RMB is 10x2999RMB.
They could make it more attractive. Fans are not reseller anyway, they don't need to buy 10 sets to claim love.

Still some kind of strange. If they will do it anyway, they can announce it on Halo night.

I just don't understand why 29999RMB is 10x2999RMB.
They could make it more attractive. Fans are not reseller anyway, they don't need to buy 10 sets to claim love.

some people are like that. Like in Korea fans of K-pop idols will litterally live off their parents forever while using their salaries to 'support' their favorites by buying heaps and heaps of every album.

Chobel

Halo MCC released yesterday in China, but there's a twist: They removed the blood from the game (Most likely to bypass the Chinese censorship)

Source: ZhugeEX

ikr its almost as if its a preorder thing. Its so fucking weird.

Y'know, this would actually be a neat way to release physical copies for stuff like Yakuza 5.

Put it on kickstarter, make it a $60 pledge to get a copy.
If they reach their goal they print enough copies for backers and that's that.
If they don't reach their goal then nothing lost.

Justinh

Y'know, this would actually be a neat way to release physical copies for stuff like Yakuza 5.

Kinda reminds me of this
https://www.gamersedition.com/product/papers-please

man I wanted this, I wish it had gotten made. oh well
edit: actually, it's probably good I couldn't get one. I already have so much junk...

TomShoe

Banned
Whoa, how did ZhugeEX get banned?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175504644&postcount=970

Sounds like a cool idea, but I don't trust publishers not to abuse the system. I'm already seeing the "Kickstarter" term been thrown around more than I'd like.

Top Bottom