• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

'New' FUD pic

kOMPz.jpg

MC's codpiece is noticeably made of foam.

Someone posted impressions the other day that added one point to the global ordnance system that I hadn't considered.

I was thinking of it from my team's perspective: cannot predict what will appear where, and therefore cannot base plans or strategies around ordnance acquisition or control.

He mentioned the flip side: you can't predict what the other team has, or will get. Big problem.

Whether they got sniper or rockets is important. If they got the freaking Binary Rifle is really important. What Duncan did with it on Ragnarock on his video was dismaying, to put it mildly.

Yup, the new system takes away a true fair chance at even weapon distribution.. I really wish they would have went with a symmetrical, predictable weapon spawning system with the occasional wildcard drops.

Tunavi

Banned
I wonder if the juniors (lead by zoojoo) talk about Tunavi as some sort of death lord while pending approval. That would make a good canon way to put you into the GAF machinima that'll be coming out. :lol
I have defied gods and demons. I am your sword. I am your shield. I know you. Your past, your future.

This is the way the world ends.

fuck halo 4 desperately needs an ad like this asap

Gui_PT

That'd be the same as standing next to the rocket spawn though right? Only difference is a random power weapon would drop. So instead of, in Halo 3, knowing you're dead 100% of the time in that scenario, you could get lucky and see a sword drop by him, and have a chance to kill him.

Well in Halo 3 I'd know what would spawn in a certain spot. Since I can't control every important spot in a map, I'd control(or try) to control the ones that would guarantee me the win.

Now with these random drops, and in this scenario, controlling a spot means nothing

GhaleonEB

Can someone define random and the differences between personal and global ordance?

Global Ordnance:

Used on most modes for power weapons. They spawn at initial, predictable points at the start of the match, as in past Halo games. Thereafter, they spawn in at set times at any number of predetermined locations, with the location selected at random by the spawning system. The exact weapon is also not fixed, but is randomly selected from the map-specific set of possible options for the system to choose from. So you know when something will spawn, but not what, or where. But you know the range of possible locations and range of possible things that will spawn.

Personal Ordnance:

Used in Infinity Slayer. Players accumulate points, fill a meter, and then get the chance to call down ordnance to their location, chosen from one of three options. Again, the three options are random but chosen by the game sytems from a pre-determined set for that map/mode.

I have defied gods and demons. I am your sword. I am your shield. I know you. Your past, your future.

Apparently it's getting a gameplay ad, along with a live action ad.

This makes me happy.

Can someone define random and the differences between personal and global ordance?

Random means that given all the data of a given system, you cannot determine the outcome of an event.
What people mean by random is that an event is unpredictable, i.e. we don't know enough to be able to determine the outcome of an event.

Personal ordnance has three options, each item (left, right, down) fall under a certain category, but the item you get to chose from for each position is chosen unpredictably from a set. Personal ordnance only exists in Infinity Slayer (so far)

Global ordnance is also unpredictable, but weapons are from a fixed weapon set, and initial drops are always the same, afaik.

Overdoziz

Banned
Someone posted impressions the other day that added one point to the global ordnance system that I hadn't considered.

I was thinking of it from my team's perspective: cannot predict what will appear where, and therefore cannot base plans or strategies around ordnance acquisition or control.

He mentioned the flip side: you can't predict what the other team has, or will get. Big problem.

Whether they got sniper or rockets is important. If they got the freaking Binary Rifle is really important. What Duncan did with it on Ragnarock on his video was dismaying, to put it mildly.
They could've just put waypoints above power weapons the moment they spawn and be done with it. (I'd rather keep it the way it is but hey we need to appeal to inexperienced players) Why they bothered creating the global ordnance system is beyond me. They said it's to prevent weapon spawn camping but I really don't buy that. I don't remember that ever being a big a problem in any of the previous Halo games so it doesn't make much sense. Sounds to me that they just want to prevent experiences players from grabbing all the power weapons all the time and want to give new players a greater chance of obtaining them.

Gray Man

Banned
Global Ordnance:

Used on most modes for power weapons. They spawn at initial, predictable points at the start of the match, as in past Halo games. Thereafter, they spawn in at set times at any number of predetermined locations, with the location selected at random by the spawning system. The exact weapon is also not fixed, but is randomly selected from the map-specific set of possible options for the system to choose from. So you know when something will spawn, but not what, or where. But you know the range of possible locations and range of possible things that will spawn.

Personal Ordnance:

Used in Infinity Slayer. Players accumulate points, fill a meter, and then get the chance to call down ordnance to their location, chosen from one of three options. Again, the three options are random but chosen by the game sytems from a pre-determined set for that map/mode.

Will you be updated HaloGAF's impressions of the game this weekend into the OT?

Ordnance generally can fuck off, and I think you're going to see an awful lot of bitching about it once the honeymoon is over, but I'm pretty resigned to it at this point. Roll on, dice of fate, roll on.

I agree. The idea of ordnance drops didn't bother me at all until this was brought up. Still though, and I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I think placed weapons in previous halos is actually worse in other ways, for reasons I won't bring up unless someone wants to hear them and watch me get slaughtered. Which is better with all pros and cons taken into account, however, I don't yet know.

Not feeling the armor style in that pic. Hopefully it's filmed well.

Its a little too blocky and inorganic, I think basing it off the anime armor wasn't the best decision. On top of that, the paint job leaves a bit to be desired, the visor looks fake and the helmet has a huge chin. So yeah, MC's armor is not a win in my book.. He also looks like he was filmed like a cliched action hero judging by the trailer.. even so, Ill live if everything else is good. Hell, maybe Fred and Kelly will look better... judging by what I have seen so far they actually do look better.

BigShow36

Global Ordnance:

Has there been any confirmation that the power weapons are on a static timer? I was under the impression that they spawn during a window, so, for example, every 1:30 to 2:30 a power weapon will spawn at one of the spawn locations rather than exactly every 1:45.

I wonder if the juniors (lead by zoojoo) talk about Tunavi as some sort of death lord while pending approval. That would make a good canon way to put you into the GAF machinima that'll be coming out. :lol

They fear me as party leader.

Also I just watched FUD. Frankie's cameo made me laugh.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I haven't paid much attention to the ordinance drops in the vids. Is it actually random, or is it something similar to the spawning system, where they drop in a "neutral" location- or where locations are weighted by if you are looking at the spawn point, etc.?

Beckx

I still watch this from time to time, never deleted it from my Xbox after it came out at E3. It's so good.

So many mixed feels. Loved the ad. Loved the music (mainly because whenever I hear it, it brings me back to Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, where it's used in an amazing sequence). But then I remember playing campaign and waiting for when this scene was going to happen.

Is it, though? Didn't he headshot most of them? To be honest my favorite times in Reach were in Customs playing with and against guys who were far, far better than me and usually would get most of those shots as headshots w/ the sniper. Going against them, it's almost irrelevant whether they have a binary rifle or a sniper - I'm dead, either way. To me the big implication of the Binary Rifle is that guys like me will also be getting 1SKs with it (it's narrowing the skill gap).

I don't think that's a balance concern so much as it is a competitive one.

LD2k

Neo Member
Probably goes without saying in this thread, but if you want to avoid spoilers for Halo 4, right now would be a good time to start avoiding forums and clicking on random internet links.
We had this issue with our releases too (2K Sports), sucks but it's part of the beast. Def. staying dark now.

<3 Gaf though.

Personal ordnance is going to really annoy people.

It really sucks when you get weapons like the needler and then your teammate gets a Railgun like a second later.

GhaleonEB

IIs it, though? Didn't he headshot most of them? To be honest my favorite times in Reach were in Customs playing with and against guys who were far, far better than me and usually would get most of those shots as headshots w/ the sniper. Going against them, it's almost irrelevant whether they have a binary rifle or a sniper - I'm dead, either way. To me the big implication of the Binary Rifle is that guys like me will also be getting 1SKs with it (it's narrowing the skill gap).

I don't think that's a balance concern so much as it is a competitive one.

The Binary Rifle is one-shot kill no matter where you hit them. Toe, finger, body, head. I know you know that, but it does matter. It's going to be far more lethal.

Even I'll get kills with it!

Beckx

The Binary Rifle is one-shot kill no matter where you hit them. Toe, finger, body, head.

Right - having a hard time making this clear - in the hands of a great player it doesn't really matter whether they've got bifle or sniper. In my hands, it does.

It's not affecting balance, but it is narrowing the gap between players.

Initial Global Ordnance:
Forge object, placeable. Occurs only at the beginning of the match, effectively "setting the table" for the battlefield's power weapons. It seems Initial Global Ordnance uses fixed weapons (so for example, a Railgun that spawns by Red Base will always be a Railgun). Whether or not it has the capacity to be random is unknown. They are visible via HUD waypoints.

Global Ordnance:
Forge object, placeable. Have a tendency to be in similar spots to Initial Global Ordnance. They spawn at fixed intervals (much like power weapons in past games) but rather than have fixed weapons, they all use a single weapon pool and can be random. Weapon pool selection in custom games is likely; however, weapon rarity customization is unknown. That is, it may be easier to get a Needler with a possibility of 25% than a Binary Rifle with 5%. However, this is unconfirmed. These spawn in the same locations and while they may not be permanently indicated on the map, rely on a fixed set of spots.

Global Ordnance replaces the traditional Power Weapon system and will be evident in the majority of gametypes, even outside of Infinity.

Global Ordnance has only shown weapons and grenades as available bonuses so far.

Personal Ordnance:
Forge object, placeable. Seemingly restricted to Infinity gametypes. These depend on player skill, and rely on the user's individual "skill points" within a match that are also what give you EXP post-game. For example, let's say Spartan Alpha and Spartan Charlie are both at 5 kills in a match. Spartan Alpha has two killjoys, three rocket kills, an assassination, and a Pull! medal. Spartan Charlie has one shotgun kill and four melee kills. Because Spartan Alpha is using a more varied skill set, his points have likely earned him a Personal Ordnance drop first. The Ordnance drops do not use pathfinding; instead, they are placeable in Forge. Global Ordnance is less common and placed on key points (such as bottom mid in MLG maps), while Personal Ordnance pods are likely to be as common as Respawn Points. This way, you can have Personal Ordnance spawn close to you, but on some maps (such as Haven) it may be a considerable distance depending on where you request a drop.

Personal Ordnance is only in Infinity matches.

Personal Ordnance allows you three options for a bonus: a power weapon (which seems to have identical properties as Global options, so it could be anything from a Needler to a SAW to an Incineration Cannon), more grenades, or a powerup. Powerups include Overshield, Damage Boost (exact modifier unknown), and Speed Boost (which boosts base speed, possibly gravity/jump height, as well as reducing frames to reload and switch weapons, much like the Dexterity package).

So I feel like the forge videos were unclear, are we able to do traditional weapon spawning on maps?

We definitely can. The main categories for item placements listed "Weapons, Human," "Weapons, Covenant," and "Weapons, Forerunner" as options. I'm glad we can spawn Forerunner weapons now. Wasn't the Sentinel Beam listed as a Covenant weapon in 3?

Conor 419

Banned
Making something bipedal work right under full physics would be too annoying. Flipping it back into position would look very weird as well.

Flipping vehicles in Halo has always looked weird, especially with the larger ones. Giving the Mantis proper physics would make a decent balancing tool, I hope it can be knocked over.

Gray Man

Banned
Holy shit, just saw that Frankie Cameo. Maybe they are trying to say something deeper here...

Maybe Frankie is like, the CUSTODIAN of Halo...

I'm here all night folks.

Flipping vehicles in Halo has always looked weird, especially with the larger ones. Giving the Mantis proper physics would make a decent balancing tool, I hope it can be knocked over.

A vehicle like that seems pretty heavy, you would need A LOT of force...

I generally do not rage at games, but that could very well change with ordnance drops if they start to completely screw me over. I am still very confused about the system though so I will reserve my judgement. Although it does seem as if the weapons still have assigned areas that they spawn. Hopefully the timing will not be completely random, I wouldn't mind thinking that since rockets haven't spawned for a while, maybe our team should lockdown a certain area of the map that could spawn at.

FyreWulff

I doubt it's legs are even simulated in the physics for movement. It probably actually works like the Scorpion. Kind of like how the rear tires on the Warthog aren't actually simulated as turning.

It's not affecting balance, but it is narrowing the gap between players.
For a lot of people, these are very dirty words.

Also, it may not affect balance over the long haul, where people get their 'share' of Binary Rifle drops, but in individual games it is absolutely a gamechanger if someone rolls a lucky double-6 and gets a Binary Rifle in their personal ordnance. And individual games are where balance is assessed. Or they used to be.

Because in modern FPS 'design', individual games pretty much don't matter anymore, only career stats.

Top Bottom