• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

According to Reddit:

No VIP Gametype
No Assault Gametype
New Map is called
Vortex
(Pic proof : http://imgur.com/CTu4V)
You can disable radar
No new Theatre features
No Theatre rewinding - same 10 second jump like Reach
Theatre confirmed for Campaign, Multiplayer and Spartan-Ops

Damn, someone buy these guys better cameras. :lol

No new theater stuff is expected, but it does really suck. No assault is not expected and it really really sucks. No VIP is expected, and thats too bad cause it was fun. The Mantis being the only new vehicle sucks also, same with no exciting returning vehicles that we didn't know about. Blah.

Also, no Covenant themed maps? Wtf. And no Mammoth in MP.

JonCha

No, because touching the flag means you get a worthless blooming pistol and can't drop it.
The thing is about this, if we looked at the pros and cons of carrying a flag in past Halo games, the new system balances out.

As is, Carryingn the flag means I'm carrying the flag but have reduced speed and no weapons. Dropping the flag increases speed and gives access to weapons. Flag juggling allows me to move the flag at a quicker speed.

In Halo 4 your regular movement speed is maintained and you have a weapon, the Magnum, though I have no idea how powerful the weapon is. The downside is the flag can't be dropped, unless your're killed. If the magnum is pretty weak then its inclusion seems inoffensive to me.

Vire

Damn, someone buy these guys better cameras. :lol

No new theater stuff is expected, but it does really suck. No assault is not expected and it really really sucks. No VIP is expected, and thats too bad cause it was fun. The Mantis being the only new vehicle sucks also, same with no exciting returning vehicles that we didn't know about. Blah.

Huh?

Did I play the same VIP as you?

Also:

New map description

ONI personell remain convinced that these ancient structures harness the planets' torrential? wind for power.

GhaleonEB

According to Reddit:

No VIP Gametype
No Assault Gametype
New Map is called
Vortex
You can disable radar
No new Theatre features

Good enough. Sounds like a copy exact from Reach, so long as we can also take clips in Campaign and Spartan Ops. After all the silence I was getting very nervous.

Shame they're not advancing the surrounding features like Forge or Theater as much as they could/should, but the focus here was clearly in remaking the core game and investments systems, and carrying the rest forward.

Now hoping for video rendering somehow, but at the very least picture stories will live on.

Overdoziz

Banned
Thank god. The people that enjoy that gametype on that map are the same ones that give Muse money.
It's good in 4v4 with 10 second respawn timers.

Edit: No upload to Youtube/Waypoint feature? Get with the times 343, Jesus.
Hopefully it's just because the website isn't updated yet and doesn't support it for now.

Tunavi

Banned
Where'd you get it?
mcNhW.gif

Huh?

Did I play the same VIP as you?

Also:

New map description

ONI personell remain convinced that these ancient structures harness the planets' torrential? wind for power.
I know, I know.. It wasn't perfect, but it was an interesting mode and in the right scenarios it was fun.

BigShow36

The thing is about this, if we looked at the pros and cons of carrying a flag in past Halo games, the new system balances out.

I strongly disagree. The old system gave you a choice and made you think about whether you wanted to drop the flag and fight or keep it and try to sneak away. There were pros and cons to both and it was up to the playe how to best accomplish the objective. Now, there is no choice; you can't react to the changing battlefield once you pick up the flag; you're stuck with a frustratingly inept pistol and the flag.

As is, Carryingn the flag means I'm carrying the flag but have reduced speed and no weapons. Dropping the flag increases speed and gives access to weapons. Flag juggling allows me to move the flag at a quicker speed.

In Halo 4 your regular movement speed is maintained and you have a weapon, the Magnum, though I have no idea how powerful the weapon is. The downside is the flag can't be dropped, unless your're killed. If the magnum is pretty weak then its inclusion seems inoffensive to me.
I'm not sure how it balances out, you only have one option when you touch the flag, get pointed out and have a singular means of defense. You can walk at normal base speeds, but it still serves as a movement hit because you can't sprint while everyone else can. Being a flag carrier means you're losing options.

Karl2177

I strongly disagree. The old system gave you a choice and made you think about whether you wanted to drop the flag or keep and try to sneak away. Now, there is no choice; you can't react to the changing battlefield once you pick up the flag, you're stuck with a frustratingly inept pistol and the flag.

To amend to this, you now don't have the option of stealth at all with the waypoint over your head at all times.

So last week Lasky was like the guy who goes -15.

This week
Lasky is a camper.

I really hate Lasky.

Absolutely loving Forward Unto Dawn though. Amazing intro. Nice Frankie appearance (Happy bday btw!)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, Halo 4's maps feel like the most aesthetically boring launch maps ever. Well, aside from Halo CE, hah. The Halo 4 maps are all human laboratories or Forerunner structures, which are fine in and of themselves, but I'd like more variety. Human maps especially have a lot of diverse potential. Look at Reflection, The Pit, Boardwalk -- all human maps, all totally different, all interesting. Forerunner designs have less potential for variety, but I feel like 343 handled their Forerunner maps fairly well. I wish Solace had a bit more of a dense jungle feel, more like Guardian, but what they came up with is cool, too.

The maps look like they play really well, at least.

Good enough. Sounds like a copy exact from Reach, so long as we can also take clips in Campaign and Spartan Ops. After all the silence I was getting very nervous.

Shame they're not advancing the surrounding features like Forge or Theater as much as they could/should, but the focus here was clearly in remaking the core game and investments systems, and carrying the rest forward.

Now hoping for video rendering somehow, but at the very least picture stories will live on.

GIF_110579_cuando_te_ries_por_obligacion.gif

Good enough.
It's not a fucking reel of tape.

But I'm sure if they hired community whiners all engineering problems would simply melt away.

It's disappointing that we're not hearing news about technical improvements to Theater at this time, but implying it's because of complacency is unfounded and obnoxious.

DeadNames

Banned
Honestly, Halo 4's maps feel like the most aesthetically boring launch maps ever. Well, aside from Halo CE, hah. The Halo 4 maps are all human laboratories or Forerunner structures, which are fine in and of themselves, but I'd like more variety. Human maps especially have a lot of diverse potential. Look at Reflection, The Pit, Boardwalk -- all human maps, all totally different, all interesting. Forerunner designs have less potential for variety, but I feel like 343 handled their Forerunner maps fairly well. I wish Solace had a bit more of a dense jungle feel, more like Guardian, but what they came up with is cool, too.

Thank you... finally someone else notices.

I hope we can get some variety with the DLC.

About VFX filters in Forge:

"There's a new type of explosive (UNSC themed)/ FX filters and lights looked almost the same as reach, nothing really crazy or totally new."

About cutscenes:

"The most amazing surprise for me are the cutscenes (really, they look outstanding) your jaw will drop when you see the
Prologue.
" <-- Not really a spoiler, but better safe than sorry

Eh, Im not sure about that.. Each of these maps look stellar, the biggest issue is the structures could have used more pallet variety. The environments all look great though (well, minus Ragnarok.. I really think that maps looks visually drab). I do agree we need more map visuals like Guardian or reflection.. The Pit was boring as hell visually though, it looked unfinished. So, ok..not most aesthetically boring, but certainly most astetically reptitive. Its too bad we don't any any real maps in space or the cave, the space/meteor would look great with a covenant theme.

Vire

So now that we know there are no Covenant maps, is this due to it being a massive amount of work with all new textures that can't be repurposed like the Forerunners? Canon reasons? Why? :(

Hopefully the first DLC pack puts a little more purple in our hearts.

BigShow36

So now that we know there are no Covenant maps, is this due to it being a massive amount of work with all new textures that can't be repurposed like the Forerunners? Canon reasons? Why? :(

Halo 4 only comes with Grey, White and Green. You gotta pay extra for Purple.

Fracas

#fuckonami
According to Reddit:

No VIP Gametype
No Assault Gametype
New Map is called
Vortex
You can disable radar
No new Theatre features
No assault, yet fucking grifball and infection get their own featured mode.
Also

You cannot enable flag dropping or disable the auto-grabbing.
So stupid.

Akai__

Relay, beta 2

koth slayer and ball supported.

How should I name my
p
remake? There wasn't a name for that map, I think. It was just someone from 343i messing arround in Halo 4's Forge.

Couldn't work on the map too much, today, but it is mostly finnished. I just don't know, where I should put the spawn points and etc.

I will put a "test version" of that map in my file-share and I would appreciate it, when you could look over it. I'll message you over XBL, when I get home and have uploaded it, to my file-share.

Are you okay with this?

According to Reddit:

No VIP Gametype
No Assault Gametype

New Map is called
Vortex
You can disable radar
No new Theatre features

Pretty disappointing, but not surprising.

No assault, yet fucking grifball and infection get their own featured mode.

I can understand not being in matchmaking...but not even custom game options? Seriously?

Vire

To be honest I'll miss Headhunter and Invasion a hell of a lot more than VIP and Assault.

Oh well, not the biggest deal.

G17

Can multiple accounts view the same film when they are in a theatre lobby like Halo 3? If not, then theatre is still a downgrade from Halo 3.

Yes please 343, make it so.
Halo 4 only comes with Grey, White and Green. You gotta pay extra for Purple.
Wait. Wut. Nooooo

Overdoziz

Banned

It's because there's no Covenant singleplayer levels.
Also

You cannot enable flag dropping or disable the auto-grabbing.
Fuck this shit. That new CTF mode may work for BTB where nobody gives a shit but I really don't see it being any fun for 4v4 (or 5v5 in Halo 4 for whatever reason).

Beckx

This alone is why I never bothered with Theater in Reach..

?

You never wanted to render a film or make a screenshot?

I mean, look, I want full rewind & want export to YouTube [snark]hire Dave Lang[/snark], but that doesn't mean Reach's theater (or H4, by extension) is suddenly useless.

The lack of Covenant themed maps sucks, but I still think 343 is missing a huge opportunity by not featuring Precursor architecture in the game. They really flushed it out and made it sound great in Crytum. I know things happen to their architecture and tech in the book, but whatever, I wanna see it regardless of canon.

Hey Fyrewulff, having a run around Relapse, and it seems like you have put some killzones on the bottom floor of the map. Just running around and keep triggering them. (Running around in classic slayer to check the map out)

Anyone want a custom game on it?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The lack of Covenant themed maps sucks, but I still think 343 is missing a huge opportunity by not featuring Precursor architecture in the game. They really flushed it out and made it sound great in Crytum. I know things happen to their architecture and tech in the book, but whatever, I wanna see it regardless of canon.

We're kinda late on seeing it by about 100,000 years.

If we're going back in time, I'd rather have a first hand look at the active Forerunner civilisation before it fell. Some of these stuff in Cryptum and Primordium... I'd love to see.

kylej

Banned
no flag juggling, no classic ctf settings, no classic oddball settings, only remake is a BTB map, all maps designed for at least 5v5, forge is grey legos again

so much for that competitive halo revival.

We're kinda late on seeing it by about 100,000 years.

If we're going back in time, I'd rather have a first hand look at the active Forerunner civilisation before it fell. Some of these stuff in Cryptum and Primordium... I'd love to see.

Yeah I know but... CRYTUM SPOILERS!
I know the Halo effect destroys their tech, but I think it could have made for an awesome story element, and universe element if the Forerunners constructed Shield Worlds around Precursor worlds to protect them from the Halo effect. I would LOVE that.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So it really looks like each gametype will get its own playlist.
no flag juggling, no classic ctf settings, no classic oddball settings, only remake is a BTB map, all maps designed for at least 5v5, forge is grey legos again

Why must i cry

Talents

Banned

Adapt bitch.
I feel your pain

Top Bottom