• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

All those MP streams last night and not a single person went into theater. -__-

Yeah that was a bit strange - one guy spent ages in Forge so I kind of expected him to go through the full set of game features.

Those guys streaming last night must all know eachother right? Considering they all tunnelled into the same game? Pretty strange to think that there is a bunch of people out there with the means to get the game early and the means to play through its full set of features - including multiplayer.

Seems like a really organised thing.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, looking at the last 500 or so posts, in between sleeping and watching the streams, you can really see why companies don't like early leaks.

And it was all due to differences between what pirates and people at NYCC were playing. Thread was actually positive until people just went off while watching a guy who looked like he was playing over Xlink or something like that and the replays looked screwed up. Till the next streamer who was actually playing over XBL showed that replays were just fine on a proper setup.

And really, did some people flip out over Forge because some guy who played a public demo who had a limited amount of time before he had to make room for others to play? I don't care how experienced he is in the older Forges, he isn't going to find everything in that short amount of time, in that environment.

At least wait till the game is out before you all nerd rage, it isn't that hard to just stay neutral till it's out. For all we know, there will be a day one patch for certain things. I miss the skill ranks from the Halo 2 days myself, but I just can't see myself going off on a gaming forum over something like that alone after looking at everything else. Especially since the decision to ignore it completely isn't final yet.

Bungie is with Activision now, they're working hand-in-hand to implement the latest CoD changes into Destiny as soon as they happen.

please god no.

if i dont like halo 4, the only things i have left to look forward to is GTAV and Destiny. Please let bungie do what they want activision

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah that was a bit strange - one guy spent ages in Forge so I kind of expected him to go through the full set of game features.

Those guys streaming last night must all know eachother right? Considering they all tunnelled into the same game? Pretty strange to think that there is a bunch of people out there with the means to get the game early and the means to play through its full set of features - including multiplayer.

Seems like a really organised thing.

I think they are playing over xlink or something like this, not Xbox Live. I read that some guys here watched someone and waited for a live ban, I we won't see a Xbox Live ban in the streams, because they don't play over Live.

Just my guess

S1kkZ

Man, looking at the last 500 or so posts, in between sleeping and watching the streams, you can really see why companies don't like early leaks.

And it was all due to differences between what pirates and people at NYCC were playing. Thread was actually positive until people just went off while watching a guy who looked like he was playing over Xlink or something like that and the replays looked screwed up. Till the next streamer who was actually playing over XBL showed that replays were just fine on a proper setup.

And really, did some people flip out over Forge because some guy who played a public demo who had a limited amount of time before he had to make room for others to play? I don't care how experienced he is in the older Forges, he isn't going to find everything in that short amount of time, in that environment.

At least wait till the game is out before you all nerd rage, it isn't that hard to just stay neutral till it's out. For all we know, there will be a day one patch for certain things. I miss the skill ranks from the Halo 2 days myself, but I just can't see myself going off on a gaming forum over something like that alone after looking at everything else. Especially since the decision to ignore it completely isn't final yet.

^so much this.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yeah, I've got the feeling that he didn't just play it for 15 minutes at NYCC.

No, it implies that any reaction based on a few hours' playtime in an exceptional context (donging on noobs via LAN with the sainted developers whispering in your ear) is likely to be less accurate than one formed over months of play across Live.
If you look at the posts surrounding that one, that wasn't all what he was implying. I bet you he'd take overall negative impressions more accurately than positive ones.

You can detail the "exceptional context" down to the number of the oxygen molecules in the room, but there's going to be stuff that you learn you like that you'll like until Halo 5 games out, same for stuff you don't like, and there's elements you're going to change your opinion on.

Full impressions from me will be posted later tonight or early tomorrow morning. I'll write 'em up on the plane ride home.

Akai__

OT but looks like Baumgartner is going to jump down that ~36 kilometers, from the Stratospherein in some minutes. That is so awesome and maybe he will become the 1st human to break the sonic speed.

You can detailed the "exceptional context" down to the air molecules, but there's going to be stuff that you learn you like that you'll like until Halo 5 games out, same for stuff you don't like, and there's elements you're going to change your opinion on.
Well, yeah, literally every single person who has played the game thinks the basic movement and gunplay has been utterly and totally nailed, and that's something that's pretty immediate and intuitive, so I trust people on it. When they tell me how they feel about ordnance, or loadouts, or gametypes, I'm like... come back to me next January.

Tawpgun

Well, yeah, literally every single person who has played the game thinks the basic movement and gunplay has been utterly and totally nailed, and that's something that's pretty immediate and intuitive, so I trust people on it. When they tell me how they feel about ordnance, or loadouts, or gametypes, I'm like... come back to me next January.

While there were games where we donged on people who barely knew how to shoot... We had some really awesome close games. Everything seemed to work fine. The big thing im worried about is how the netcode will be. They never had a public beta to stress test it.

Writing my writeup/impressions now btw

IHaveIce

Banned
OT but looks like Baumgartner is going to jump down that ~36 kilometers, from the Stratospherein in some minutes. That is so awesome and maybe he will become the 1st human to break the sonic speed.
Oh nice, do you have the stream on hand?
You will love it. Much better than Halo Wars cutscenes.
Damn.
Any Forge footage that has appeared? Would like to see more of the newer Forge environments.

Speaking of Forge, the Grifball area, isn't it a flat area that is big enough for some nice maps to forge? I think in this area could be some nice arena style maps.

But it is hard to get the size right, without playing it

Gray floor with gray walls and gray Forge pieces.
Forge.

Yeah I know :( But better than wasting pieces on the floor.
I think we all should realize if we like new 4v4,2v2 maps, we really should like grey :/

Overdoziz

Banned
Speaking of Forge, the Grifball area, isn't it a flat area that is big enough for some nice maps to forge? I think in this area could be some nice arena style maps.

Gray floor with gray walls and gray Forge pieces.
Forge.

^ yeah, the built in griffball arena is ugly as hell and makes no sense.. why not make it a little.. I dunno, better? It looks like it was built with Reach's Forge pieces. I kinda get the feeling CA was not aware of the what fans wanted from forge.

Man, Im gonna watch this.. I hope it all goes well, cause it seems just a tad dangerous, haha.

You will love it. Much better than Halo Wars cutscenes.

<3

Can't wait, but now I will be sad if it doesn't go online.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yeah, I've got the feeling that he didn't just play it for 15 minutes at NYCC.

I don't know how long he played myself, but there were some notable changes that you wouldn't find on your own that quickly between 3 and Reach, who knows what else changed with 4?

All I'm asking is to wait till these guys get to play the game at their leisure at home with the final version and figure everything out on their own, because those features might just be right there but done in other ways. We've seen that happen between 3 and Reach already with certain things. After waiting for that, the criticism is justified.

Oh? Thanks for posting this, I was waiting for the first attempt when it got postponed and totally forgot to look out for it afterwards.

Raide

Yeah, not sure of the exact size but that goes for all the maps. Without playing we have no idea how big/small they actually are.

The Grifball room will come in handy for some of the Halo remake maps but unless 343i give us some more interesting things to decorate the room with, it will be a big grey block.

I always wondered why Bungie did not add more decorative bits. No big computer screens, no random doodads. Just a few boxes and cones. Memory is always the issue but would that not be sorted if they stopped making really fancy Forge environments?

But I wasn't talking about how you feel about things, I was talking about that other guy. If I told you I didn't like the CTF changes, would you be more likely to accept my opinion than if I said I did like them? What about people that say they're unsure about the changes and list why?

They're just impressions. Take 'em for what they are. Some people will nail the problems or what works with some elements, others people will do the same for other elements. People are going to be wrong about things, some people will be completely right.

kylej

Banned

yeah man, it's the fans fault for wanting Halo 4 information. Let's see, I could go to Halo Waypoint and see BS Angel's top ship themed Halo Reach screenshots, or I could see what the last unrevealed map is somewhere else. People don't give a shit where they get their information from, they care about the information. Lack of transparency is in no way the fault of the consumer.

BigShow36

yeah man, it's the fans fault for wanting Halo 4 information. Let's see, I could go to Halo Waypoint and see BS Angel's top ship themed Halo Reach screenshots, or I could see what the last unrevealed map is somewhere else. People don't give a shit where they get their information from, they care about the information. Lack of transparency is in no way the fault of the consumer.

It's also incentive for developers to be more transparent about their content. Chances are, any big game is going to be leaked about a month early. Why not get out ahead of it and release the content how you want it released rather than a laggy, grainy stream of some guy from Bolivia?

If Bungie or 343 wants to play the game where they pretend MP needs to be a huge secret and that fans don't deserve to know what aspects of MP have been changed thats fine, but if the info is available somewhere else, people are going to get it.

I'm not defending people who seek out leaked games and download them, but I am saying its probably going to happen and it would behoove developers to release the information on their own terms.

It's also incentive for developers to be more transparent about their content. Chances are, any big game is going to be leaked about a month early. Why not get out ahead of it and release the content how you want it released rather than a laggy, grainy stream of some guy from Bolivia?

If Bungie or 343 wants to play the game where they pretend MP needs to be a huge secret and that fans don't deserve to know what aspects of MP have been changed thats fine, but if the info is available somewhere else, people are going to get it.

I'm not defending people who seek out leaked games and download them, but I am saying its probably going to happen and it would behoove developers to release the information on their own terms.
I cannot wait for the developers to tell us the whole campaign missions and story before launch because the majority of people want this information.

BigShow36

I cannot wait for the developers to tell us the whole campaign missions and story before launch because the majority of people want this information.

Campaign and multiplayer are completely different things. You're arguing a false dichotomy; the only two possible outcomes are not "no information or every piece of information from campaign."

Akai__

Halo 4 tourney stream and Panel at the same time? o_O

Guess, I will go with the panel.

OT Edit:

The guy, who is performing a ODST drop later, is in the capsule and they are filling up his balloon. It will take 3 hours to get to the heigth of 36 kilometers.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

That wasn't my point at all.

I'm as anxious as anyone here for non-spoiler info, or else I wouldn't be here still with all the leaks. I'm not even knocking negativity for confirmed stuff. I'm knocking people popping off the instant something is found without actual confirmation, only to find out it was wrong anyways soon after.

I'm enjoying watching (at least decent players) willing to get their 15 minutes of fame streaming direct-feed Halo 4 multiplayer till they get hit with the banhammer since there aren't tons of official sources yet. I'm actually agreeing with you.

As long as it's all based on confirmed facts that is.

Top Bottom