• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Watched FUD Ep1 a bit ago, and don't really have strong feelings one way or the other. Although I do wonder if they are intentionally making Lasky an unlikable character. Reeks of Hayden's Anakin.

Hm, I didn't find him unlikeable- his reservations about the insurrectionist conflict seemed fair, while many of them are clear cut crazy terrorists, many of them are just over taxed outer colonists who want to become independent of the UNSC. Its understandable why he would empathize with them. As for his disobeying of orders? I imagine he has personal reasons not to obey dumb orders, possibly
his brother was sent on such a mission and wound up dead. We also know nothing about his father, so I imagine there is some interesting history there as well.
He clearly seems to be leadership material as he doesn't seem to be the type who thinks rushing in guns blazing is the only option, and has a knack for playing chess implying he is a good strategist.. Ultimately, I think the appearance of the Covenant will make him find his potential, especially when those close to him start getting killed.

Makes a whole lot of sense. You act as though I've never seen them, come on now.
You're the one that said "I don't watch cartoons," but apparently you're qualified enough to say that most of them are terrible.. Your words. Doesn't make a whole lot sense, but okay, that's your prerogative.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Hm, I didn't find him unlikeable- *snip*

Probably just a case of the actor undermining the role. One of my big petpeeves with shows/movies is when a character is written a certain way, but comes across completely different when you hand the role over to a wishywashy actor.

Yeah that made me sound like a huge asshole, but I'm just being honest.

Murder Miners:

I now have:
A new version of Lockout that is much closer to scale
A new version of Guardian to scale
Foundation
Beaver Creek
Sword Base (Actually good in this game)
Warlock
Midship
The Pit

In addition to the old maps:
Lockout v1
Chillout
Hang Em High

And our GAF maps:
Zanzibar
Sanctuary

Thanks to Ex2x from murderminers.com

GhaleonEB

Quick thoughts on Forward Unto Dawn, Episode 1. I had enough down time to watch it over the lunch hour today, though not enough to sit down post impressions.

I have two critiques, both having to do with filming style of certain sequences. The opening dash through the woods is the first. It's clearly intended to convey the chaos of battle, and shot in such a way that we share in the disorientation of the protagonist as he has to go from zero to combat in 30 seconds. Shaky cam can be a good tool to convey chaos and confusion. But in this sequence, it felt exactly like someone shaking the camera around and guys ran through the woods, rather than the chaos of the situation. I didn't think it worked well, and got the episode off to a rough start. It makes me a little nervous for how action will be handled later; I hope it's a technique that is only employed here, for the specific reasons of what the character was experiencing.

The other moment is quieter. Our hero (I do not know any of their names yet, sorry) is getting justifiable grief from this squad mates in the locker room. He leaves his locker and goes over to the other, where the female squad mate delivers her line about "at least I believe in something". During that exchange, the camera is bobbing around and is at these weird angles; again, they're going for a certain style, but I really "felt" the camera, if that makes sense, and wanted it to step back and stop being tilted around.

But that's about it as far as the negatives go. This was a very well put together piece. I liked that it didn't try to cram in too much. There's the opening action, which is brief, and then all the rest of the episode is fallout from it. The conversations between the squad members feels authentic, without lines that really jump out as feeling overly written.

In particular, I liked that there were awkward silences during some dialogue scenes. Some of the best character work comes not from what people say or how they say it, but from those moments when people are just sizing each other up, figuring out what to say next. There are pauses and stumbles. They spoke like people actually speak, which made them instantly relatable.

Maybe that speaks to how I'd set fairly low expectations for the series. But it's just very well done. The episode does not rush, does not force moments that don't need forcing, didn't bite off more than it could chew, and almost effortlessly set up a decent number of characters effectively enough that I already care for several of them. Those were the goals of the episode, since that ending shot is the signal they're about to be put through hell. In fact, the entire production wisely stays exactly within its means; it's clearly on a budget, but it's not cheap either, and every dollar is there on the screen. They seem to have hit the sweet spot between a reasonable budget and an achievable ambition.

It's very well made stuff. I'm impressed and really looking forward to story.

PNut

Banned
I watched the FUD episode after being reminded every single time I get on Reach. It was okay. Made me want to watch Aliens again. That's about it.

Excited for Halo 4 and skill based playlists reveal though!

Also, FUCK MLB! Braves got robbed. FUCK OFF

Yeah the Braves game tonight was crazy. Hard to believe that Atlanta fans were throwing things on the field; THAT is when you know you've made a bad call. So long Chipper, we will miss you!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/halo-4-requires-8gb-install-for-multiplayer-6385431

I just ran across the article, and this is completely new to me. F***, I only have like 2gigs left on my hard-drive.........

Haven't you learned? Modern gaming requires....more.

Yeah the Braves game tonight was crazy. Hard to believe that Atlanta fans were throwing things on the field; THAT is when you know you've made a bad call. So long Chipper, we will miss you!

Haha, yes, as a braves fan who lives in Atlanta, its been a strange sports night. Poor Chipper ending like this.

nillapuddin

If your reading this, your not playing Project Lumoria

If your not playing Project Lumoria, your missing out on the best thing that happened to Halo single player, since Halo

not exaggerating.

I know someone who works on it, I havent spoken to him in about a year
Now I know why, they just released part 2 of their Halo Custom Edition Campaign expansion

and its fucking amazing.

literally I cannot emphasize this enough, Part 1 was really fun, but Part 2 is a must play

HUGE Battles, vehicles, weapons, bad guys, its all there

I dont want to spoil it with pics, heres the 2 tamest pics they have up, just to give you an idea
ep15b.jpg

If you have Halo: Custom Edition (theres no reason you shouldnt)

Go download this right now and play it
http://www.lumoriace.com/index.html

its a fuck ton better than murder miners.

edit:
I wont see if anyone responds, gotta finish the fight

If your reading this, your not playing Project Lumoria

If your not playing Project Lumoria, your missing out on the best thing that happened to Halo single player, since Halo

not exaggerating.

I know someone who works on it, I havent spoken to him in about a year
Now I know why, they just released part 2 of their Halo Custom Edition Campaign expansion

and its fucking amazing.

literally I cannot emphasize this enough, Part 1 was really fun, but Part 2 is a must play

HUGE Battles, vehicles, weapons, bad guys, its all there

I dont want to spoil it with pics, heres the 2 tamest pics they have up, just to give you an idea

If you have Halo: Custom Edition (theres no reason you shouldnt)

Go download this right now and play it
http://www.lumoriace.com/index.html

its a fuck ton better than murder miners.

Last I heard they were working with CMT. I need to get Windows again to play.

Pop

Murder Miners finally downloaded for me and this game is great fun. This month should be killed pretty fast playing this until H4 drops.

wwm0nkey

No way... you played ACV? What clan were you in?

Will do in a second. Off to bed. Long day tomorrow with the Forge Challenge being launched.

Well I was on the Anarchy group for awhile then me and some GAF people made that NeoGAF one which I can't remember off the top of my head.

I remember your damn avatar though! lol

Well I was on the Anarchy group for awhile then me and some GAF people made that NeoGAF one which I can't remember off the top of my head.

I remember your damn avatar though! lol

lol you were with Anarchy... good times. I hear ACV has taken quite the turn since they got all the patches and the title update. lol... my forum runs a decently active ACV community. But that's pretty awesome bro.

Hehehe... I did a montage of my first day of ACV fun. I'm no video editor though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCYx78ECpJM

Off to bed for now... night GAF.

wwm0nkey

lol you were with Anarchy... good times. I hear ACV has taken quite the turn since they got all the patches and the title update. lol... my forum runs a decently active ACV community. But that's pretty awesome bro.

Hehehe... I did a montage of my first day of ACV fun. I'm no video editor though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCYx78ECpJM

Off to bed for now... night GAF.

Was mostly on the GAF squad, was only on Anarchy for about 2 days.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Our hero (I do not know any of their names yet, sorry) is getting justifiable grief from this squad mates in the locker room.
Heh, I'm surprised you don't already know. He's Thomas Lasky, who later on becomes an officer on the UNSC Infinity during the events of Halo 4.

GhaleonEB

Heh, I'm surprised you don't already know. He's Thomas Lasky, who later on becomes an officer on the UNSC Infinity during the events of Halo 4.

Oh, I've heard the names. I'm just spectacularly bad at name recall. This applies in many contexts, to much embarrassment. I can meet someone several times, talk with them at length, and then realize I have no idea what their name is. I think it's related to my "where the fuck did I park" problem.

Oh, I've heard the names. I'm just spectacularly bad at name recall. This applies in many contexts, to much embarrassment. I can meet someone several times, talk with them at length, and then realize I have no idea what their name is. I think it's related to my "where the **** did I park" problem.

What's worse is when they remember your name perfectly, and you can not recall their name nor where you met.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I've heard the names. I'm just spectacularly bad at name recall. This applies in many contexts, to much embarrassment. I can meet someone several times, talk with them at length, and then realize I have no idea what their name is. I think it's related to my "where the fuck did I park" problem.
Heh, gotcha.

What's worse is when they remember your name perfectly, and you can not recall their name nor where you met.
I've lived in the same city my whole life and have passed through a ton of different social circles, so this happens to me all the time, haha. I'm usually just honest about it, and we both laugh it off.

I suffer from this badly. Takes me about 2 weeks to learn teammates names, sometimes longer. Avoiding names is how I deal with it. The use of names like "bud" has helped me get by for a long time lol.

FyreWulff

I have a similar problem. I remember a person's appearance, what I did with them and where I met them - can't remember their name.

At the HBO breakfast, I remembered everyone's faces. But I had to have Wu tell me who was who.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Man, bad hit detection aside, Halo 3 is so much more fun than Reach.
I was flip flopping for a while, but that's the opinion I've currently settled at, too. The maps, the sandbox, the vehicle physics, and the absence of AAs make it play a lot better.

Ramirez

You were that TJ Ramirez guy with early Recon, right?

Yea.

I was flip flopping for a while, but that's the opinion I've currently settled at, too. The maps, the sandbox, the vehicle physics, and the absence of AAs make it play a lot better.

I just played it for about 2-3 hours, and obvious stuff aside (quitters), we had a blast. So good to get the old crew back together, play some Halo, and actually enjoy it. I really hope 4 can bring it back together like 3 had us...

Ramirez

Oh man. I remember I vsed you at least twice in MM back in the day. One time I was rushing you on default Sandbox and you ninja'd me on flat ground. Probably my most embarrassing H3 moment ever. Sorry if this is off topic.

Those were my glory days, I'm washed up now.

I taught Tashi everything he knows though, he picked up my torch when I went into fatherhood!

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Welp, Reach goal has been set. Hit "Mythic" before H4.

About halfway between Legend and Mythic. Won't take too many days.

Yea.

I just played it for about 2-3 hours, and obvious stuff aside (quitters), we had a blast. So good to get the old crew back together, play some Halo, and actually enjoy it. I really hope 4 can bring it back together like 3 had us...

This is pretty much exactly how I feel after playing Halo 3 after Reach.

Omni

Welp, Reach goal has been set. Hit "Mythic" before H4.

About halfway between Legend and Mythic. Won't take too many days.

I'm mythic in Reach :D Pretty sure I'm about half way to the next one... Too much to get in a month though. Coincidentally once I got mythic in Reach, I also got mythic on the Bungie.net forums on an old account.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I'm mythic in Reach :D Pretty sure I'm about half way to the next one... Too much to get in a month though. Coincidentally once I got mythic in Reach, I also got mythic on the Bungie.net forums on an old account.
Join the Mythic Members chapter if you dare :)

It's kinda silly, mostly stupid, but a fun waste of time every once in a while.

Top Bottom