• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

IHaveIce

Banned
This was my biggest disappointment of Reach. When the Noble Team sillohuettes were released with that promo image everyone thought they were Spartan II's. And it all fit. Kelly was the slim, fast one. So and so was the guy with the knife, so and so was the big and bulky spartan II, Linda was the sniper, etc.

I think the game would have been a lot more ambitious if they tried making a storytelling experience based on the book. Imagine having the tutorial missions being running through the obstacle course as kids. Or having the first missions being without the MJOLNIR armor. Then with the shieldless armor. And so on. It would be Chiefs origin story and a PERFECT lead in into Halo 4 (had they planned that far ahead)

But I can understand their reasoning for going with a seperate story line. Just wish it had been a tad more consistent. Lots of dropped balls.
Damn that would have been awesome, and the ending would really be the start of Halo CE

Awesome. A game that just retreads a book and fiction we've already gone over, and would have still needed changes to work as a game, and you know, not a book. Snore.
Yeah, because 100% of the fans know the book right? And book adaptions work pretty well for movies and other way round. Don't know can't agree with you

What? Aquaman rules!

His Pepsi Card was actually cool

idd-aquaman-dc-comics-pepsi-cards-metalica-2-tarjetas_MLM-O-50332028_5458.jpg

Tawpgun

I do not need a game to retell a story I have read a few years ago. Give me new stuff. The same stuff applies for Spartan Ops. Let Spartan Ops tell new stories, not retelling of battles people have read in the books.

Would pay so many space bucks for a "famous missions of the Halo universe" SpOps season. And while I could see this being possible, it would break the illusion of the Infinity Multiplayer environment.

Actually no it wouldn't. They'd train Spartan IV's by simulating missions that happened in the past. MAKE IT SO 343. TAKE MY MONEY.

Overdoziz has done a fantastic version of Haven - (did you make it Over?) - anyone else come across any Halo 4 maps made in Reach forge? I know Fyre has remade Relay which is also cool.

Would love to get some more games going on these maps/ try new maps if people are up for it.

Tunavi

Banned
I do not need a game to retell a story I have read a few years ago. Give me new stuff. The same stuff applies for Spartan Ops. Let Spartan Ops tell new stories, not retelling of battles people have read in the books.
Its hard to defend reach when the story was just so mediocre

if you didn't want the actual events from the fall of reach, then you shouldn't have wanted Reach to be a game in the first place

Fracas

#fuckonami
Overdoziz has done a fantastic version of Haven - (did you make it Over?) - anyone else come across any Halo 4 maps made in Reach forge? I know Fyre has remade Relay which is also cool.

Would love to get some more games going on these maps/ try new maps if people are up for it.

I wouldn't be able to make it today, but I could play tomorrow. I'd definitely be interested in playing those maps.

Would pay so many space bucks for a "famous missions of the Halo universe" SpOps season.

Infiltrating that insurrectionist base on the asteroid would be so amazing. This was actually what I had envisioned SpOps as before we knew the details, reliving small, iconic battles of Halo's past. I too would pay for that.

I could never get into using Sketchup for Forge maps. In the time I spent making the map in sketchup, I could have already made it in Forge. I also learn what won't work much faster, and allows a map to form more organically for me.

That's just me though. In my personal opinion, there's a lot of Forgers that make some nice ideas in sketchup, soak the praise for the idea, but then never actually make a map out of it. I prefer seeing maps in the engine first. A notable lack of Sketchup for me is it's a poor tool to determine your sight and firing lines from.

AutoCAD for life

We all have our preference. I actually use the forge pieces as a reference. How I am doing it is start with shape/layout creation on sketchup, make a rough draft in forge, then use the forge pieces on sketchup to make something much more accurate while using forge as a scale reference, and then finally transfer it to forge and adjust for texturing and minor piece details.

I find it to be a much more efficient process because there are times where I need to shift a whole section of a map by 0.2 or 0.5, or 4 whole units and I have to inch each piece individually in forge. I can do it all at once in sketchup and much more accurately. Then if I find I don't like it I can undo back to where I started. Sketchup has been wonders for quick iterations. If I have a couple ideas for a section I can dupe the whole map at once, then make to different versions and decide which one is best from there. I just happen to be very nitpicky when it comes to precision.

As for LoSs... that is what Unity is for. A quick export and a FPS asset package and I'm running around checking sightlines. For presentation purposes I have to go through and remove z-fighting. But once I do I can host it and show off just the layout. This allows me to share the layout with people not on the xbox rather easily, and because of the generic texturing it allows people to focus on the layout over the aesthetics. It also helps drive in the fact that this is a work in progress, not a final product. I always love blocked out maps. :)

This is the older version of Think Again: http://think-again.comuf.com/. It's has changed a LOT since this version and I should be ready to put out the new version in a couple days. :) I'm very happy with the results. I'll probably quickly add in a quick feature that will allow people to switch between the two versions to see the changes.

Also having my map accurately built out on Sketchup allows me to have a direct reference when building it in H4 rather than building from memory from a map I designed on Reach. :) Bonus side benefits. :)

Enfinit

Personally I think Reach would have been better if it was the story of the book. I didn't like the story or characters in Reach at all.

To me, the best part, the shining moment of Reach, was the final mission. While it wasn't my favorite campaign overall, Lone Wolf was and is the best ending in any Halo game, if not one of the best video game endings of all time. From the "Rally Point Omega" to the final cutscene, it was perfection.

I think I'm gonna buy this.
It looks sick, especially if it's a hardback. 343i needs to stop making products I want to buy.

Cool. I got an e-mail from Halo4Soundtrack with a download link for the full album.

Its hard to defend reach when the story was just so mediocre

if you didn't want the actual events from the fall of reach, then you shouldn't have wanted Reach to be a game in the first place
I am not defending Reach. The story was bad. Most of the characters were too. But it had his potential to tell a story which could have existed besides the books. It failed in that case.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
If you don't like something I like, get out!

Yb98t.gif

That's not what I'm implying.

If you don't like a specific retcon, then just ignore it.

Look at how Star Wars fans have dealt with Midi-chlorians. Repulsive rejection. Outright denial. Eventual acceptance. Outright denial again. Take your stance and move on.

Retcons don't disrespect older material.

And perfect continuity can't exist in a franchise as big as Halo. Or Star Wars. Or Star Trek.

If Halo was simply a book series I'd be fighting the canon anti-retcon fight but it is what it is and stamping your feet won't change the nature of the beast.

Like Super Man Prime destroying the Reality with his bare hands

A rip off of mitochondria. Supposedly they are what allow Jedi to channel the Force- the more midichlorians, the more powerful the Jedi.

It was pretty dumb.

That sounds REALLY stupid. I'm gonna keep pretending it doesn't exist. And since this is all pretend anyway, that actually works out just fine!

Gui_PT

That's not what I'm implying.

If you don't like a specific retcon, then just ignore it.

Look at how Star Wars fans have dealt with Midi-chlorians. Repulsive rejection. Outright denial. Eventual acceptance. Outright denial again. Take your stance and move on.

Midi who? Just kidding

Folks here should try to say things in a nicer way though

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Small warning for folks afraid of the spoiler fairy.

@SelenaisaQueen

The above arsebag just spammed me and some other GAFers with major Halo 4 spoilers via Twitter. The dude has been busy doing this for ever since the leak and it seems he's finally made his way around the Twitterverse and reached some of HaloGAF.

If you don't want spoilers, ignore him at all costs. If your spoiler immune, report the dude for spam if he bothers you.

And a message to @SelenaisaQueen, you can't spoil a spoilerwhore like me. ;)

Karl2177

Also, people stop bad talking Reach's campaign. Sword Base is a legitimately awesome level. Open multiple pathways, huge landscapes to traverse, great interior battles (Hunter shotgun scene).
I disagree. Sword Base was one of the better levels of Reach's campaign, but it would place it mid-tier overall. The huge landscapes are marred by their maneuverability. The large area near the base is awful to traverse because of the ruts and bridges. The multiple pathways are just whether you want to activate the comms or the AA guns. Ultimately those two paths don't lead to any interesting gameplay. And the Hunter shotgun section is okay. The shotguns are handed to you immediately before the encounter, which I feel lessens the importance of the 2 weapon system. And it gives the encounter less of a challenge with the shotgun.

Honestly my favorite part of the level was where you traverse the multiplayer map area. It could have been better with more walkways, but it was still good.

CyReN

Small warning for folks afraid of the spoiler fairy.

@SelenaisaQueen

The above arsebag just spammed me and some other GAFers with major Halo 4 spoilers via Twitter. The dude has been busy doing this for ever since the leak and it seems he's finally made his way around the Twitterverse and reached some of HaloGAF.

If you don't want spoilers, ignore him at all costs. If your spoiler immune, report the dude for spam if he bothers you.

And a message to @SelenaisaQueen, you can't spoil a spoilerwhore like me. ;)

That's the person who ruined the ending for me last week:(

ps: Ghaleon I sent you a f/r on twitter.

Top Bottom