• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing the absolute bare minimum in a game should give the player enough of a story to follow. Ignore every optional thing in the game and what you are left with is the core story. Much like the core gameplay, the added things don't define the gameplay, but rather, they just accent it. Terminals are so far removed from the player I don't know how you can say that it is Halo 4's story.

Don't get me wrong, the Terminals absolutely benefit the player that views them but they shouldn't be completely necessary to enjoy the story for what it is. This is all too similar to how AAs/Ordnance/Specilisations work in terms of the multiplayer sandbox.

You only play the game? You should be able to grasp the story at a very basic level. I don't believe this is the case. I think, as integral as the Terminals are, they should not be required reading for people who just want to enjoy a story.
On a fundamental level, I disagree. Every average Halo player I've seen play the game, has absolutely loved the campaign. I would bet that more people have enjoyed Reach's and 4's campaign than 2/3/ODST, because on a fundamental level their stories are simpler and more cohesive.

Halo 4's story is part Master Chief/Degradation of Cortana and part Didact/Librarian/Forerunner conflict, with a much heavier weight on the former. So I am instantly suspicious of people who make a blatant statement of Hao 4's story being bad because MC/Cortana relationship is incredibly well done and surpasses pretty much everything else in every other Halo. The didact and forerunner stuff is confusing, but when inspecting it at a basic level, it works.

The Chief and Cortana are attacked by the Covenant and then crash on a forerunner planet. This Covenant awaken the Didact who is a forerunner, and he doesn't like humanity. He wants to get his hands on a weapon (Composer) which can vaporize humans. At one point, the Librarian, another forerunner of some sort, meets the Chief and changes him in a way that makes him immune to the Composer. The Didact takes the weapon from a Space Station and then fires it on Earth. The Chief stops him with Cortana's help while she's (seemingly) destroyed in the explosion. On a basic level, EVERYONE understands that.

The confused people are the ones that are trying to make sense of every little line and trying to connect things with the extended fiction. The average player who's getting the most basic info from each cutscenes understands who the bad guy is, and what is at stake, and how those things are resolved. Didact is an unleashed forerunner trying to attack humanity with a weapon, meanwhile Cortana is going crazy and dying. The Didact gets thrown into space in some black hole, and Cortana dies protecting the Chief in an explosion. The threat is menacing, and the stakes are high, and the payoff is fairly emotional and well done. THAT is the most basic parts of the story, and it works.

Attacked by Aliens
Crash on Planet/Ring
Unknowingly, threat is unleashed (Didact/Flood)
All life forms are at stake/Humanity is at Stake along with your female companion
Threat is destroyed in big Explosion/Thrown into a black hole
Crotana and Chief fly back to Earth alone/Cortana dies and Chief goes back to Earth alone

The plot is no more complicated or confusing than the plot of the original Halo. It doesn't require extended fiction but reading Fall of Reach/Greg Bear Trilogy will give you more of an appreciation of the story.

my rankings of best to worst halo games are irrelevant because I don't play Halo games for the games, I play them for the people. by that metric Halo 3 is my favorite Halo game because not only was halogaf filled with a small but fun group of people at the time but my long time pals played a lot too. Reach killed off a lot of the cool HaloGAF people and 95% of my old pals, then Halo 4 killed the rest. I don't expect more from Bungie or 343 because I want to play Squad Slayer or Slayer Pro by myself. I expect more because I want cool people to enjoy getting on and playing together.

This.

If a halo game was good enough to make everyone want to play again I would consider it a miracle at this point

mhsilver

Banned
So far, the most fun I've had playing Halo 4 is having some DUMBASS walk straight in front of me while I'm in the middle of a goddamn DMR fight, and then spending the entire match positioning myself directly infront of a his shots, nudging him while he's trying to line up shots, pushing him off ledges, blocking doorways for him, and basically getting him killed repeatedly. He ended the match -9, I ended the match -7, so worth it.

Close second being trying to end a match 0-0-0. I'm even, and I didn't cost the team any kills, but for some reason they seemed upset.

GhaleonEB

The Chief and Cortana are attacked by the Covenant and then crash on a forerunner planet. This Covenant awaken the Didact who is a forerunner, and he doesn't like humanity. He wants to get his hands on a weapon (Composer) which can vaporize humans. At one point, the Librarian, another forerunner of some sort, meets the Chief and changes him in a way that makes him immune to the Composer. The Didact takes the weapon from a Space Station and then fires it on Earth. The Chief stops him with Cortana's help while she's (seemingly) destroyed in the explosion. On a basic level, EVERYONE understands that. .

I can describe the events in Halo 3 or Reach in similar terms, but that doesn't mean they had good stories or that the stories were well told. And it skims over the fact that context, character motivation and crucial details to key events are missing or badly communicated throughout the campaign.

Kujo

Soo.. anyone else getting destroyed by Legendary. I can only do one mission a day.

I thought it was pretty easy actually, I had a harder time doing Heroic the first time through. Make sure to look around for decent weapons to use

How can anyone put Reach above 2, that campaign was super boring. Arby > *

Did Frankie ever figure out that Fyrewulff was secretly working on Halo 4?

I was meaning to ask actually - now that the game is out what where you working on Fyre?

I know you did location based stuff so I want to say the 7/11 app - but that would be a huge assumption.

raindoc

So far, the most fun I've had playing Halo 4 is having some DUMBASS walk straight in front of me while I'm in the middle of a goddamn DMR fight, and then spending the entire match positioning myself directly infront of a his shots, nudging him while he's trying to line up shots, pushing him off ledges, blocking doorways for him, and basically getting him killed repeatedly. He ended the match -9, I ended the match -7, so worth it.

Close second being trying to end a match 0-0-0. I'm even, and I didn't cost the team any kills, but for some reason they seemed upset.

really? some dude walking in front of you once makes you spend the rest of the game harassing him on purpose?

I just got the mancannon achievement from sticking a ghost with a plasma grenade.

which one? there's 3 mancannon achievements:

"Clay Pigeon" (In Crimson DLC matchmaking, shoot an enemy who’s airborne from a Man Cannon)
"Special Delivery" (In Crimson DLC matchmaking, killed an enemy with melee when landing from a Man Cannon)
"ODST" (In Crimson DLC matchmaking, killed a player while airborne from a Man Cannon)

i got "ODST" by sticking a warthog while jumping and "Special Delivery" by meleeing a guy after jumping.

mhsilver

Banned
really? some dude walking in front of you once makes you spend the rest of the game harassing him on purpose?

Yeah, pretty much. Were the core gameplay better, I probably wouldn't be so easily side-tracked by an alternative form of entertainment, but what do you do? You gotta make fun where you can.

mhsilver

Banned
Ghosts are powered by mini-mancannons.

Speaking of the damn ghosts, is there ANY strategy for taking them out that goes beyond 'spawn with sticky grenades and a plasma pistol' or 'shoot from behind'? Cause that this point, it seems like if a ghost sees you, attacks you from the front, and isn't dumb enough to try charging you, the lasers can cut through you pretty damn quick.

raindoc

Yeah, pretty much. Were the core gameplay better, I probably wouldn't be so easily side-tracked by an alternative form of entertainment, but what do you do? You gotta make fun where you can.

Violin.gif

Speaking of the damn ghosts, is there ANY strategy for taking them out that goes beyond 'spawn with sticky grenades and a plasma pistol' or 'shoot from behind'? Cause that this point, it seems like if a ghost sees you, attacks you from the front, and isn't dumb enough to try charging you, the lasers can cut through you pretty damn quick.
Not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. Shoot the driver, and sans that, shoot the ghost. or get out of its line of fire. Or make it too bothersome for it to stick around to play cat and mouse with you. Stay close to cover that you can move in and out of.

Considering your idea of enjoyment though, you might want to try playing as a team and cutting people some slack. At the very least you'll have some help when that overpowered ghost gets the jump on you.

mhsilver

Banned
Not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. Shoot the driver, and sans that, shoot the ghost. or get out of its line of fire. Or make it too bothersome for it to stick around to play cat and mouse with you. Stay close to cover that you can move in and out of.

Considering your idea of enjoyment though, you might want to try playing as a team and cutting people some slack. At the very least you'll have some help when that overpowered ghost gets the jump on you.

Yeah, no. The people the 'matchmaking' (I use the term loosely) matches me up with don't know which end of the assault rifle to point at the bad guys, let alone the concept of team shooting.

No thank you.

malfcn

For those that want to beat Halo 4 on legendary, especially solo..WP kids are saying all you need are the last rally points of each mission..

mhsilver

Banned
Played some Crimson tonight and did not have fun at all. Wow.

343i are not good map-makers. The best, most popular map in the game is a remake of a Halo 3 map.

The second best map in the game is a basic 2-level circular arena.

The rest range from grown-inducing to worst-in-the-franchise.

CyReN

343i are not good map-makers. The best, most popular map in the game is a remake of a Halo 3 map.

I don't think 343 did any of the maps.

;_;

i still love you kynan

donkey kong country returns was amazing

Havok

I finally got through the Rogue specialization tonight, and slapped that Stability mod into my loadouts.

Holy cow, what a difference it makes. It's so much less frustrating to have a scoped fight now, to the point that long range ping fights become trivially easy - I can stay steady on someone no matter what they do. Descope patch please.

Pop

I finally got through the Rogue specialization tonight, and slapped that Stability mod into my loadouts.

Holy cow, what a difference it makes. It's so much less frustrating to have a scoped fight now, to the point that long range ping fights become trivially easy - I can stay steady on someone no matter what they do. Descope patch please.

muhahaha

mhsilver

Banned

Not gonna happen. 343i worships at the alter of CoD, any patches from here on out are just going to make the game MORE like CoD, not less.

Holy shit, does the Crimson playlist have anything besides Shatter Extraction?

I'll trade you. I've played like 2 games of Extraction, they were the first two games on the new playlist that I played, and both lasted all of 5 minutes. I was trying to learn the maps, so I ended up dying a lot and totally confused about the point. Pretty much every single game I've played since has been either Oddball on Wreckage, CTF on Harvest, or Infinity Slayer on Harvest.

Warning: Don't see The Hobbit for the first time in 48fps. I made a huge mistake (to be fair, my GF tolerated it a lot more than I did)

Warning: Other than that, The Hobbit was awesome.

My opinion of ODST has risen over time.

I still haven't watched the terminals in Halo 4. I was just talking the main game. I regret posting the list, though. Dumb thing to do.

Definitely check them out. They don't help Halo 4's story since they were hidden so deep, but they tell a really neat story and are beautiful to watch. They really should have been part of the games cutscenes somehow, but alas. The game really would have benefited from it story telling wise...

Akai__

One thousand thanks kind sir. I've tried countless times on wreckage for that melee achievement. Just nailed it in one match on harvest using a jetpack and dropping in. Awesome.

Only two to go.

That worked, too? Anyways, I was very lucky with this achievement. I got it, the way the description says it.

*goes into mancannon on wreckage for the 1st time; get's the melee* :)

A tip for the Warthog one, that I heared from a friend. A splatter counts, too if you have been in the air a second ago. Like going through the mancannon with the warthog and then splattering someone on the cliff. But the chances, that something like this happens are what? 0.0001%? :lol

You need a lot of luck to do those achievements.

Or you simply boost them :p

heckfu

Banned
Just got done playing Crimson with Domino, Tuna, and Havok...this game is fun and I really enjoy it.

I don't know if I'm easy to please or not a very harsh critic but it's literally 1,000 times better than Reach and 3.

But not 2. Never 2.

I'm going to the 48fps tomorrow. Hope it's not that bad :/

Just try not to think about it. The beginning is going to look AWFUL but I promise it gets better. Also, the CG at the beginning is weak so it hurts it more. Sadly I couldn't stop thinking about it and could never get lose in the movie. 48fps is pretty crazy in multiple ways, so you have an interesting experience ahead of you one way or another. I won't lie though, the soap opera and motion smoothing comparisons are fair at times and it can be weird as hell... It does make full CG characters animate amazingly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom