• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I would have thought their previous IPs were worth something. Guess not.

343 are vastly unproven.

Hydra, you're taking this way differently than I am meaning. Halo is one of the biggest franchises in gaming history, all I'm saying is a lot of people aren't jumping the gun and saying "Destiny will top Halo as one of the biggest franchises in gaming history."

Bungie's past games have been solid, but Halo was on another level of popularity. They have to prove they can replicate that success and level of work before people will blindly follow.

I'm not crapping on Bungie or anything, they are one of my favorite developers. They just have to prove that they can do it again.

Also yes, 343 is still unproven.

I would have thought their previous IPs were worth something. Guess not.

343 are vastly unproven.

For fucking real. How on earth is Bungie unproven? I would say Myst and Marathon are definitely worth noting. Regardless saying Bungie is vastly unproven outside of Halo is like saying the Yankees are vastly unproven outside of baseball.

I know there are quite a few Bioshock fans on here.

The opening few minutes of Bioshock Infinite.

Obvious spoiler warning, it's looking fantastic.
Looks great.
Agreed. In fact, I remember at the Neogaf general outrage when Halo3 was discovered to be sub 720p. And the outrage of not having AA due to the lighting engine. I remember that the general opinion was that, being such an important franchise for the 360, an exlusive and a first party title, it was considered by many to be a total let down.

Some people acts like the lower number of players is a direct result of AA or weapon spawns, but the fact is that Halo3 wasn't that popular the moment COD4 hit the market.
Actually, the fact is the opposite.

Also, LOL at Deadly throwing Bungie under the bus in the way he's doing.

TheOddOne

Don't get the wrong impression, Bungie has done some amazing work on the Halo series (and in tech like matchmaking systems, they basically built Xbox Live). My point is in a new franchise, a new world, new plot, and a new massively multiplayer FPS market. I have 100% faith in their systems, it's more if they can replicate Halo's success with the new universe they are building.
Bungie has always been great world builders, Halo, Marathon and Myth come to mind, but their biggest flaw however is storytelling. They have wonderful stories, but often just focus little on them. What I appreciate about them is that they put gameplay systems at the forefront, everything else is secondary. Which is right, especially if they want players to come back consistently.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm, well apparently no one can understand what I am saying and keep thinking I'm taking shots at Bungie.

So you all are 100% assured that Destiny will be the best thing ever made, and top Halo in all regards? Am I not right to hold back some hype because Bungie's been on Halo for 10 years and nothing else?

Should I not wonder if they can do it again?

I apologize if it's coming off (through text) like I'm throwing them under the bus. Far from it. Bungie is on my short list of all-time favorite developers. I'm just not ready to confirm Destiny as the second-coming of Halo.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Hmm, well apparently no one can understand what I am saying and keep thinking I'm taking shots at Bungie.

So you all are 100% assured that Destiny will be the best thing ever made, and top Halo in all regards? Am I not right to hold back some hype because Bungie's been on Halo for 10 years and nothing else?

I apologize if it's coming off (through text) like I'm throwing them under the bus. Far from it. Bungie is on my short list of all-time favorite developers.

i think bungie deserves the benefit of the doubt. however, since we know virtually nothing about destiny, noone should be absolutely convinced of its greatness.

Halo has been great for 10 years. If Destiny isn't popular, I'd put it down to the market first. I don't doubt they'll make a fun game.

Pop

Why would we? Halo 4 is a solid game and a lot of fun to play. I could give a shit about the numbers as long as they stay high enough for me to find games. With the patches that 343 noted are coming the game should get better as time goes on.

I'm in the Heckfu camp on this one.

Also, believe it or not, a lot of users are not enthused with Bungie like everyone here is. A lot of people felt Bungie let Halo go stale on their watch. Maybe 343's version isn't what they wanted either, but the game needed a change. So I'm not so sure people will just jump right into Destiny.

I can't wait to see more of it though.

See above. A lot of people felt burned by Halo in the later years.

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that H4 is a "solid game". Core gameplay is there but when they don't help us out, hardly ever respond to their community and continue to keep the fluff in multiplayer you put a sour taste in peoples mouths. Halo never needed change, maybe some revisions but never anything like this. It's disheartening knowing H4 could be great, even changing/adding playlist(classic) now I think will not help. Numbers do validate how successful a game is after launch, I believe this is the fastest a Halo title has ever fallen in terms of numbers on live.

We were burned cause of what Bungie deemed right in adding to Halo with Reach. See that's the change we didn't need, too dramatic and change the whole landscape of how you played Halo. Now 343i had no way out of not having AA's in H4, it was there the select bunch of people loved them. It was only natural for 343i to add them but however the majority doesn't like them one bit. I rather just play 4v4 weapon and spartan. Static weapons on map, were teams fought and timed them to the last sec. That was Halo to me and Bungie severely changed that with Reach and followed by 343i with H4.

I'm highly excited for Destiny, I love Bungie. If it's anything like a Haloish MMO then count me in with my friends to be playing that game. I'm sure the small few will still be playing H4, hell even Reach but changes is not something we asked for loudly with Halo. Other AAA games don't change there formula why should Halo.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
it had better be great though. it's been in development for years now, hasn't it?

depends on exactly what it is and what we, as individuals, want out of gaming.

i love bungie, but a MMO scares the daylights out of me - and no, i dont expect a MMO in the traditional sense, but still. i dont have huge amounts of time to invest in games anymore.

i expect destiny to be a terrific game, just unsure of if it will be for me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Bungie has always been great world builders, Halo, Marathon and Myth come to mind, but their biggest flaw however is storytelling. They have wonderful stories, but often just focus little on them. What I appreciate about them is that they put gameplay systems at the forefront, everything else is secondary. Which is right, especially if they want players to come back consistently.

Indeed. I'll give you this. I agree.

i think bungie deserves the benefit of the doubt. however, since we know virtually nothing about destiny, noone should be absolutely convinced of its greatness.

I also agree here. My main point is that I'm not going "all-in" so-to-speak on Destiny hype until I'm sure they will deliver.

Halo has been great for 10 years. If Destiny isn't popular, I'd put it down to the market first. I don't doubt they'll make a fun game.

Makes sense, and that's part of my reasoning. The market isn't the same as it was when Halo 1-3 were popular (although it started the shift when Halo 3 was out). Destiny will have some challenges to face. Being one of the first big shooters on a new console won't hurt though.

rakka

depends on exactly what it is and what we, as individuals, want out of gaming.

i love bungie, but a MMO scares the daylights out of me - and no, i dont expect a MMO in the traditional sense, but still. i dont have huge amounts of time to invest in games anymore.

i expect destiny to be a terrific game, just unsure of if it will be for me.

I've never played an MMO before, never had any motivation to whatsoever. hell, I'm hardly into FPS and bungie managed to make pretty much my all time favorite games with the halo series. they have the opportunity and ability to totally change how gamers view MMOs just like they did FPS and I sure as hell hope they do.

Homeboyd

I prefer the gameplay of Halo 4 over Reach.

I also prefer getting stabbed over being shot.
I've only been shot but I hear getting stabbed is pretty awful. Burning metal in your body is no picnic either, but man.. Getting shanked sounds like it would suck. Let's call it a lose-lose.

I had more fun playing Reach a month after release than I have had with 4. I barely have any motivation to play the game. That wasn't a problem with Reach till after a half year of playing.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of Halo's gameplay, but I think it's the direction Halo multiplayer is taking.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I actually don't, I was speaking more on general consensus and opinions of folks I've talked to that used to love Halo. A few of those people were actually brought back by Halo 4.

All of them want Destiny to be awesome, but aren't ready to throw in their 100% support yet. Bungie (outside of Halo) is vastly unproven. We have no idea if they can make a game that's a big as the Halo series, that's not the Halo series.

I hope they can though.

Everything Bungie has made so far was only practice for Destiny. They've been planning this out for hundreds, if not thousands of years. The real Bungie begins in 2013.

As our world ends, theirs will be born.

ElRenoRaven

I... haven't seen as much of that personally.

Ignoring HaloGAF and looking at general GAF & the gaming press: The reaction to the leaked Destiny concept art really surpised me.
I saw bounds of unexpected positivity of people chattering excitedly about a few pieces of concept art, never mind the game itself.

Also, Marathon and Myth. (Not sure if Pathways etc were particularly big in their day)

Yup. Hell even Oni was damn fun and it was made in a very very volatile time in Bungie's History. I to this day long for a proper sequel to that game. That's probably one reason I was so goddamn angry at MS when they bought Bungie. That resulted in Bungie giving up Myth and Oni to take 2.

Of course then Bungie repeated History to get free of MS and gave up Halo. I ironically wasn't as angry because I knew that meant freedom and something new.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Yup. Hell even Oni was damn fun and it was made in a very very volatile time in Bungie's History. I to this day long for a proper sequel to that game. That's probably one reason I was so goddamn angry at MS when they bought Bungie. That resulted in Bungie giving up Myth and Oni to take 2.

Of course then Bungie repeated History to get free of MS and gave up Halo. I ironically wasn't as angry because I knew that meant freedom and something new.
ONI controlled like shit on PS2 from what I remember.

LosDaddie

Banned
The game is great. People get tired of more of the same. I haven't heard a single person who bought Blops 2 who has said it was amazing - everyone has mentioned in one fashion or another that they're getting tired of it. Same with Halo. Same with Guitar Hero.

The universe is amazing. The engine is fun. The design is great, The gameplay is a bit stale. That's the key here. It's a tired song on a tired radio.

Money WELL spend on development. Could have been marketed a bit harder, could have been blah blah blah should have would have... however, the game is great and is a shining example of game development.

I'm inclined to agree. I'm enjoying Halo 4. But hey, I've also enjoyed each new Halo game released (didn't try Halo Wars though).

And theyve been that way since before the game even came out.

One of the reasons i lost a lot of interest in this forum is because of the constant hate. All people do in here is whine. Especially the Halo threads. Just constant bashing of one feature after another until the next game comes out, which then turns that last "crap game" into a suddenly much better game than it actually was when everyone was playing it. Rinse and repeat every new game.

It's very bad here. I was hoping for a community to talk about the game, and set up matches with. :( It's all about how horrible Halo 4 is. :(

ElRenoRaven

ONI controlled like shit on PS2 from what I remember.

It was pretty rough but it was still fun. I've played both PC and PS2 version and do own both. If I remember correctly the PS2 version was ported by Rockstar Toronto. So if you want to play the game at it's best the PC or Mac versions are the way to go. Although I can say even though the controls were pretty rough on the PS2 I still loved it. In fact all this talk about it makes me wanna pop it back in the PS2 or load it up on my PC and play it again.

Interesting side note Rockstar Toronto also ported Max Payne 1 & 2 to PS2.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If you get caught cheating in Halo 4 you should be forced to play in a Complex-only cheating playlist forever.

I believe Reach could well have been an outlier on the basis of

1| It was a 'make it and take the money' game
2| It had a more restrictive development cycle
3| It /seemed/ to have been thematically influenced by Microsoft.

I mean, in terms of quality, Halo was certainly continually on the up from Halo 1 through ODST, so I have no real reason to believe Destiny wont be a great series. Especially as they have creative freedom behind it.

I'll give you those. I just wonder if in a post-CoD4 world if there's any series that can top that juggernaut.

Conor 419

Banned
Why would we? Halo 4 is a solid game and a lot of fun to play. I could give a shit about the numbers as long as they stay high enough for me to find games. With the patches that 343 noted are coming the game should get better as time goes on.

I'm in the Heckfu camp on this one.

Also, believe it or not, a lot of users are not enthused with Bungie like everyone here is. A lot of people felt Bungie let Halo go stale on their watch. Maybe 343's version isn't what they wanted either, but the game needed a change. So I'm not so sure people will just jump right into Destiny.

I can't wait to see more of it though.

See above. A lot of people felt burned by Halo in the later years.

I believe Reach could well have been an outlier on the basis of

1| It was a 'make it and take the money' game
2| It had a more restrictive development cycle
3| It /seemed/ to have been thematically influenced by Microsoft.

I mean, in terms of quality, Halo was certainly continually on the up from Halo 1 through ODST, so I have no real reason to believe Destiny wont be a great series. Especially as they have creative freedom behind it.

ElRenoRaven

What the hell is this Xbox Live security proofs thing?

More security. Basically with Microsoft converting everything to Microsoft accounts they're trying to add more security. So you will have to have 2 ways they can contact you be it an alternate email address, phone they can send texts to or just a phone number.

Welp. I tried to bypass and load up ODST, but then I got signed out. Now it's not letting me sign back in to do the account security thing, and is instead asking for a Microsoft password.

What the fuck.

aries_71

If you get caught cheating in Halo 4 you should be forced to play in a Complex-only cheating playlist forever.

I'll give you those. I just wonder if in a post-CoD4 world if there's any series that can top that juggernaut.

I don't know. I've been playing some Blops2, and I have to say the thing is pretty good. No matter how noob you are, no matter how much experiece the others have, you never come out totally frustrated. Halo frustrates, and it's its main problem. I've played hundreds of games of Halo3, Reach and Halo4 and I still get my ass totally kicked from time to time. It usually happens when you think you finally got it... suddenly, you get your -15 in a couple of games in a row. Very frustrating. It was only a matter of time before a new formula surpassed it, and that was COD4.

Pop

Might as well bring your boltshot to Abandon...

Those "internal" playtesters must have been well rounded players.

ElRenoRaven

Rather the security to losing my CC info on PSN. /still bitter

Yea I have to agree. While annoying I'd rather the security too. And if you don't want them to have your phone just get another email account somewhere and use that. My ISP gives us up to 10 so I just created another through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom