• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

blamite

The only GTA I've ever played for any real amount of time is IV. I didn't like it at all, the controls are bad, driving isn't fun, and having to restart missions from the beginning after failing was awful. Also they somehow managed to totally ruin the mechanics of firing a gun.

The fact that I played it after Red Dead probably didn;t help, since most of the things I hated about GTA IV are fixed in RDR, but I still don't think I'd have liked it if I had played it first.

Majora's Mask is great, the time limit isn't much of a hassle at all in most circumstances. I need to play it again, now.

Fez is great too.

J10

Banned
Some of the points I intended to spend on Halo 4 maps went instead to Fez and Mark of the Ninja yesterday. No regrets as both are fantastic games. It's amazing how much quality gameplay developers are packing into Live Arcade titles these days.

I've just made a shocking discovery. So gather around the campfire, for I have a Christmas Tale to tell.

We all know neoism, but the truth about the matter is that notion is WRONG!
I spent hours upon hours analyzing hist posts, searching for the secret messages to be revealed within all those ellipses. Then it clicked. "ELLIPSES. ELLIPSES, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!" I shouted so loud all the world heard me, even Santa's little helper Elves. In literature, an ellipse is used to remove sentences and connect thoughts. So it struck me, NEOISM IS A GENIUS! His responses only appear short because of this random use of ellipses to condense his original posts. You see, a typical 'Original' neoism post ranges in the 1,500 - 3,000 range. He is so confident in his ability at this point, that he begins to remove random sentences and throw in random ellipses to his Original work. This now altered, once Original Work is now the Final Post. So as you call can she, this shit is cray.

Stay green my friend.

Tunavi

Banned
Some of the points I intended to spend on Halo 4 maps went instead to Fez and Mark of the Ninja yesterday. No regrets as both are fantastic games. It's amazing how much quality gameplay developers are packing into Live Arcade titles these days.
people can hate on MS all they want, but the XBLA is one of the best things this gen

The only GTA I've ever played for any real amount of time is IV. I didn't like it at all, the controls are bad, driving isn't fun, and having to restart missions from the beginning after failing was awful. Also they somehow managed to totally ruin the mechanics of firing a gun.

The fact that I played it after Red Dead probably didn;t help, since most of the things I hated about GTA IV are fixed in RDR, but I still don't think I'd have liked it if I had played it first.

Majora's Mask is great, the time limit isn't much of a hassle at all in most circumstances. I need to play it again, now.

Fez is great too.

I just love the story. It's nice when a Zelda game breaks from the typical Link, Zelda, Ganon, Master Sword formula. Not that that's bad, or that each game that employs that formula doesn't do it in a unique way, it's just somewhat refreshing. The eerie, dark tone was a definite plus, and fits Zelda games just as well as the ubersaturated one does.

--

Also gameplay-wise, GTA: San Andreas is still the best. GTA IV best for story, although SA is a close second.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I've just made a shocking discovery. So gather around the campfire, for I have a Christmas Tale to tell.

I spent hours upon hours analyzing hist posts, searching for the secret messages to be revealed within all those ellipses. Then it clicked. "ELLIPSES. ELLIPSES, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!" I shouted so loud all the world heard me, even Santa's little helper Elves. In literature, an ellipse is used to remove sentences and connect thoughts. So it struck me, NEOISM IS A GENIUS! His responses only appear short because of this random use of ellipses to condense his original posts. You see, a typical 'Original' neoism post ranges in the 1,500 - 3,000 range. He is so confident in his ability at this point, that he begins to remove random sentences and throw in random ellipses to his Original work. This now altered, once Original Work is now the Final Post. So as you call can she, this shit is cray.

Stay green my friend.
vmOnU.jpg

I remember I played Reach with neoism once

It was groovy
acid parkour

I liked halo because it was about equal footed gunplay. Now its about who can whore out their armor ability better than the other player and guns take the back seat. Feels like you're walking through mud too.

Good God this so much, and it's something that's rarely mentioned. Movement in the past few Halo games is an exercise in frustration. The movement is better than Reach is most regards, but that's far from an accomplishment, and it still sucks. Slow movement, getting stuck on geometry, frustrating jumps, janky transition between sprint and not (both mechanically and animations). I think Global Ordnance system is the single mechanic in Halo 4 that has the most negative impact on the game, but the movement is the thing that primarily and blatantly irritates me while playing.

Not only does playing something like Halo 2 immediately refreshing in how you can smoothly and quickly traverse the map, but going from H4 to Battlefield 3 is arguably equally refreshing in terms of how smooth and effortless movement is. You don't feel like your fighting the controller or the game, the movement is just right, why can't it feel that way in Halo, and why wouldn't you want movement in your game to be that smooth? (BF3 has an absolutely unmatched animation system for player movement and it makes it feel so good).

Is that supposed to be an old Walter White?

------------------------------------------

Posting this on the top of this page again, cause fuck it:

I liked halo because it was about equal footed gunplay. Now its about who can whore out their armor ability better than the other player and guns take the back seat. Feels like you're walking through mud too.

Good God this so much, and it's something that's rarely mentioned. Movement in the past few Halo games is an exercise in frustration. The movement is better than Reach is most regards, but that's far from an accomplishment, and it still sucks. Slow movement, getting stuck on geometry, frustrating jumps, janky transition between sprint and not (both mechanically and animations). I think Global Ordnance system is the single mechanic in Halo 4 that has the most negative impact on the game, but the movement is the thing that primarily and blatantly irritates me while playing.

Not only does playing something like Halo 2 immediately refreshing in how you can smoothly and quickly traverse the map, but going from H4 to Battlefield 3 is arguably equally refreshing in terms of how smooth and effortless movement is. You don't feel like your fighting the controller or the game, the movement is just right, why can't it feel that way in Halo, and why wouldn't you want movement in your game to be that smooth? (BF3 has an absolutely unmatched animation system for player movement and it makes it feel so good).

okay I'll power through it. I don't like it when im sleepy, it just finishes me off. its nice when im well rested.

Good God this so much, and it's something that's rarely mentioned.

Funny, especially coming from Reach, Halo 4's movement seems much nicer to me. May have something to do with me finally making the transition to Bumper Jumper though.

I didn't get to play much Halo 4 for now because I was very busy with university stuff, but so far I cannot agree with the hate that's apparently going on around here. Most of the time, I have a lot of fun playing the game. I like the movement, the weapons sound and feel great, and it's beautiful.

However, I agree that some things have to be fixed or fundamentally changed even.

Yesterday, I played a game against a team of coordinated Promethean Vision users. They were basically camping on the central structure (forgot the name of the map... Abandon, maybe?) with PV and DMRs equipped, so they could see and hit us almost the entire time. Incredibly frustrating.

I guess I'll just list a few random thoughts:

• I still agree with Ghaleon's sentiment regarding the DMR. No matter if in Reach or Halo 4, I still think it holds true that its range goes too far, restricting player movement and more intense medium range shootouts.
  • Instant respawn is annoying, all things considered. It changes the flow of the match by having a crowded map all the time instead of some room to breath. Also, I have to make a conscious effort not to instinctively press X. Most of the time, I simply do it anyway and jump right back into the action without even thinking about my next moves - something that I did in previous Halo games because the respawn timer sort of forced me to. It also allowed me to observe the match and my teammates without thinking that I should rather jump in right away - because I couldn't!
  • I don't think global ordnance is a bad thing, but it should be more similar to the regular weapon spawning of the earlier Halo games. I want specific (or similar) weapons to spawn in specific places at specific times. I think that greatly helps the flow of a map.

Anyway: At its core, I think Halo 4 is a very good game. But I agree with those saying that there's simply too much added on top of that so that it becomes confusing, sometimes even random and occasionally unfair.

I don't want to worry about picking the best tactical package or whatever its called in order to counter someone abusing armor ability X. I want it to be more about movement and aiming while playing, and less about making the right decision before playing.

That said: Might the pro slayer playlist (if anyone even plays that anymore) scratch that itch?

Havok

That said: Might the pro slayer playlist (if anyone even plays that anymore) scratch that itch?
It might, if 343 hadn't cut the playlist to make room for the Infinity Challenge® competition (lol) sponsored by Virgin Mobile, Ford, and Gamesager.
[*] I don't think global ordnance is a bad thing, but it should be more similar to the regular weapon spawning of the earlier Halo games. I want specific (or similar) weapons to spawn in specific places at specific times. I think that greatly helps the flow of a map.
What you're describing is pretty much the antithesis of what global ordnance is, though. Even with the twist that the weapon wouldn't always be exactly the same, having a weapon-class based spawning system with static timing and locations would still be so far from what global ordnance is now that I wouldn't even use that name for it. The randomness is core to the system, remove it and it's no longer GO. I wish they would integrate specific elements of it into the classic system, because I think it could be okay, but I don't expect them to retreat on one of their banner features.

I like Halo 4's movement. At least in the campaign, it fittingly feels like you're a living tank.

If there's one thing 343 needs to steal from another franchise, though, it's the climbing animations from Crysis 2/3.

It might, if 343 hadn't cut the playlist to make room for the Infinity Challenge® competition (lol) sponsored by Virgin Mobile, Ford, and Gamesager.
Great...
What you're describing is pretty much the antithesis of what global ordnance is, though. Even with the twist that the weapon wouldn't always be exactly the same, having a weapon-class based spawning system with static timing and locations would still be so far from what global ordnance is now that I wouldn't even use that name for it. The randomness is core to the system, remove it and it's no longer GO. I wish they would integrate specific elements of it into the classic system, because I think it could be okay, but I don't expect them to retreat on one of their banner features.
Yeah, I guess what I'm thinking about is the bolded. I like how weapons don't simply appear, but are actually "delivered". I also think that the HUD notification isn't necessarily a bad thing, either. But, yeah, the randomness is.

I like Halo 4's movement. At least in the campaign, it fittingly feels like you're a living tank.

If there's one thing 343 needs to steal from another franchise, though, it's the climbing animations from Crysis 2/3.
That thought has crossed my mind quite a few times as well already! I really wonder how it would play...

Halo just isn't halo anymore, the magic is gone.

If Halo 4 was the same halo people know and love (ce/2), the online population of Halo would be even less than Killzone 2. The game would rely on skill, and only on skill. Average player would get 4shotted constantly by skilled player to a point where they stop playing.

Seriously, where the fuck are the forge maps in matchmaking?
I'm so tired of Adrift, and Solace has become my least favorite map given the garbage sight lines... leaving me with Abandon, Complex, Haven over and over.

There are only so many times I can enjoy Haven in a row. Step it up 343~!

Picture3.png

Picture2.png

As far as gametypes go, I've played almost as much FFA Regicide as I have Slayer. This game needs a normal Team Slayer playlist where a thoughtful deduction of base player options and regular weapon spawns are the name of the day. Maybe call it Squad Slayer?

The time limit could get annoying but there were only like 4 dungeons in the entire game. That's what I liked about it, it was more about sidequesting than going through boring ass 3D Zelda dungeons. It's one of the reasons why OoT felt like misery to me, there are like 11 in that damn game it just becomes a blur. There were small refinements that made MM a lot more tolerable to play as well like the increased movement speed and snappier menus. Best yet, you could get the bunny hood and lug yourself around at a respectable pace; it was super convenient.

1. Majora's Mask
2. Wind Waker
3. Ocarina of Time
4. Twilight Princess

MM is such a bravely innovative game. Nintendo could have pushed out OOT-2, a linear trawl through dungeons. Instead they create a central 3 day game mechanic which the narrative hinges on but which can also be manipulated indefinitely so the player can re-experience events from differing perspectives without having to create a new save or anything as plain as that. Seeing the countless side quests out to their fruition is also an absolute joy in MM, far more so than any other Zelda games side quests. The Owl teleporter save statues are great too. Best minigames. Best environments, some of which are downright bizarre. MM is one of my favourite games of all time.

If Halo 4 was the same halo people know and love (ce/2), the online population of Halo would be even less than Killzone 2. The game would rely on skill, and only on skill. Average player would get 4shotted constantly by skilled player to a point where they stop playing.

I take it you've never heard of Microsoft's trueskill? Been around for years, ensures that kind of situation doesn't occur with any regularity providing the player pool is healthy and it's implemented strictly enough ala ranked Halo matchmaking.

..or get better.

The things people are asking for that'll make it more like Halo 1/2 are things that the casual player might not even notice, but would be a huge deal to the competitive balance of the game.

v lol bobs Zeouter just beat ya :b - Destiny's gonna have space combat a la Sabre mission.

Pop

hahaha

You can't truly believe what you just wrote, can you?

People seen the fan made Destiny Concept Art In Motion video?
Bit busy at times, but I enjoyed it.

Also, Fyrewullf's adventiures with Japanese 3 & Reach had me coming across this video of the voices using the Firefight voice selecter.
Did the Japanese fans complaints/petitions have any effect on the Halo 4 JPN VA decision?

Its probably been posted here already - I did skim through and didnt spot it.

Someone took the Destiny leaked art and made a art in motion video with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnGwiEq1IcQ

Guy did a really good job.

Damn if I'm not intrigued by this game, that's a great video.

They won't get better. They'll go play another game that makes them feel awesome for doing relatively nothing in comparison.

I would be ok with that.

Right now its the Halo fans that are going and playing other games which maybe reward some semblance of skill.

The critics were right unfortunately, Epic Micky 2 is mediocre and borderline boring to play. A shame.

I really liked the idea, but the demo did not capture my imagination - was the first one better?

neoism

And this song is playing, fucking incredible.

http://youtu.be/ypNgvc6c6Cc

n...e...o...i...s...m...! S-O!

Stay green my friend.

?............<3
lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom