• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would games like GTA 5 and Splinter Cell release this year if the next console is coming out in just a few months? They are confirmed to only be released on the 360. Someone who works at Rockstar said that there is still a lot of life in the 360 too. It doesn't make sense.

Because as Garrett said, the consoles have the largest and most active install base possible. Some of the most successful game come right at the "end" of a console's lifecycle, Rockstar has no interest in releasing a game in arguably the largest franchise in gaming in the first 12 months of a consoles lifecycle. By doing so, they are just limiting the amount they can make.

So now season 4 starts with us in control of both spartan 2s and 3s. Then obviously season 4 would now allow dual control of either spartan 2 or 3 for the beginning of the season. This story then begins weaving its way into post Bungie halo. We see the deployment of infinity and the planning for spartan 4s. We see our past Spartans reenlisted as spartan 4s. We get to control our same group of Spartans that we've come to care about but also see how the universe is changed post Halo 3. This eventually ties into spartan ops season 1 so yeah that kinda is the only bad part.

From the beginning, you know the end.

So 343 I think it's clear that I am the perfect man for Spartan Ops design, story, and any hope of making it worth a damn man. But I need to put this is my contract to guarantee our success.

1. My first goal is to enhance Spartan Ops, this will take time, so our first minor task is to put Halo ODSTs firefight mode in. This will distract people in the mean time. Next.
2. Me and my team soley work on Firefight and Spartan Ops. That is it. We are not the mp guys. They stay away from us and and we from them. We can't work together it's like 2 different sides of the brain us and them. So don't ever let anyone have the idea that me and my badass team touched or influenced mp in any way.
3. Hire juices

So 343 I think it's clear that I am the perfect man for Spartan Ops design, story, and any hope of making it worth a damn man. But I need to put this is my contract to guarantee our success.

1. My first goal is to enhance Spartan Ops, this will take time, so our first minor task is to put Halo ODSTs firefight mode in. This will distract people in the mean time. Next.
2. Me and my team soley work on Firefight and Spartan Ops. That is it. We are not the mp guys. They stay away from us and and we from them. We can't work together it's like 2 different sides of the brain us and them. So don't ever let anyone have the idea that me and my badass team touched or influenced mp in any way.
3. Hire juices

I look forward to working with you. Let us rule with an Iron Dong.

Nope. Can't do it. Can't play this MM much longer.

Puts friend and I into JIP game...down 0-2 caps, we cap 1, teammates have enemy flag. Game ends. No OT.

Puts friend and I into MULTIPLE slayer games where BOTH other teammates die 20+ times

Puts friend and I into a CTF game where I LITERALLY saw a teammate spray a Supressor while wildly shooting in a circle because 3 enemies were around him...it's like he went blind for several seconds and he decided that was his best option.

Randy teammate sees me defending flag against someone around the corner, does nothing, crouches next to enemy around corner waiting for his boltshot kill.

I ragequit, turn off Xbox.

Get dressed to go workout...back car up out of garage, hit Dad's truck. DAD NEVER PARKS IN THE DRIVEWAY.

Nope. Can't do it. Can't play this MM much longer.

Puts friend and I into JIP game...down 0-2 caps, we cap 1, teammates have enemy flag. Game ends. No OT.

Puts friend and I into MULTIPLE slayer games where BOTH other teammates die 20+ times

Puts friend and I into a CTF game where I LITERALLY saw a teammate spray a Supressor while wildly shooting in a circle because 3 enemies were around him...it's like he went blind for several seconds and he decided that was his best option.

Randy teammate sees me defending flag against someone around the corner, does nothing, crouches next to enemy around corner waiting for his boltshot kill.

I ragequit, turn off Xbox.

Get dressed to go workout...back car up out of garage, hit Dad's truck. DAD NEVER PARKS IN THE DRIVEWAY.

I love the ending to this anecdote.

If there was one red flag (that I totally agree with) it is this.
I can play COD on playstation, and I can also play it for free. Along with a multitude of other first party studio games.

I know it kind of goes without saying but the hardware failures I've experienced with the 360 are completely unacceptable. I'm on my fifth (fifth!) Xbox 360, I've had a variety of failures, red rings, can't read dvd drive and freezing. I made excuses for it and kept sending them off/buying another because of Halo. If it got to a point where I no longer really play Halo, I'd be really hesitant to put my money down on another microsoft console next gen.

Omni

I know it kind of goes without saying but the hardware failures I've experienced with the 360 are completely unacceptable. I'm on my fifth (fifth!) Xbox 360, I've had a variety of failures, red rings, can't read dvd drive and freezing. I made excuses for it and kept sending them off/buying another because of Halo. If it got to a point where I no longer really play Halo, I'd be really hesitant to put my money down on another microsoft console next gen.

I've been through one console since initial release (It RROD'd...). Currently using an Arcade model with a 250GB HDD (had it for years now) and it runs perfectly.

I guess it's just the luck of the draw though. Saying that however, I don't think Microsoft is stupid enough to screw up next gen's console like they did with the 360 - I imagine that they lost a fair bit of money replacing consoles and would be hesitant about shipping a new product without properly testing.

I think there's too much evidence supporting a 2013 launch. I mean, you've got Major Nelson putting up a countdown to E3 timer over 160 days away. There's what, 2 exclusives to Xbox 360 coming out this year? And then you have the tons of rumors, devs are talking about next gen, that giant document talking about the Xbox's future...I don't see how it couldn't be a fall 2013 launch, spring 2013 at the very latest.

I'm guessing 2013, too. Not sure if I'll buy it, though.

reggie

Banned
People act like the RROD was to Microsofts benefit. They lost a ton a money sorting it out, no way they make the same mistake again. Unless they're stupid... they did finance Halo 4..

People act like the RROD was to Microsofts benefit. They lost a ton a money sorting it out, no way they make the same mistake again. Unless they're stupid... they did finance Halo 4..

Well, they've had more than 7 years to get it right, this time. I don't think it'll be the rush job the 360 was.

I've been through one console since initial release (It RROD'd...). Currently using an Arcade model with a 250GB HDD (had it for years now) and it runs perfectly.

I guess it's just the luck of the draw though. Saying that however, I don't think Microsoft is stupid enough to screw up next gen's console like they did with the 360 - I imagine that they lost a fair bit of money replacing consoles and would be hesitant about shipping a new product without properly testing.

I too don't think they'd be silly enough to mess up their next console. I just won't forget the tribulations I've had with their current console and I certainly wouldn't have kept on buying/refurbing 360's if it wasn't for the pull Halo has on me.

TheOddOne

People also forget that RROD cost Peter Moore his job, cost them 1 billion dollars, multiple revision were made to correct it and they finally fixed it with the Slim. They won't go that route again.

Akai__

Wonder if "and its on" might be referring to how they announced the 360 at E3 2005. They finished the show with "Xbox 360 is here and it's on."

Holy shit, this can't be coincidence, right? I really hope so.

---

Also Sony patented a technology, which can block used games on a system. This was speculated by many analysts and if Sony decides to block used games on their PS4, I wonder what Microsoft will do?
The whole "trade in a game" thing will die, if this comes true.

---

For those, who are wondering about the next Bulletin:

bsangel said:
In the 12.12.12 Bulletin, we shared it was the last one until January. Now that January is here (yay!), we'll be picking them back up. Next week's installment will not contain information about our upcoming Title Update, though. Like the previous TU, we'll share a complete change list once it has been released, in order to not spread information about glitches and exploits that are live in Matchmaking (we don't want them abused any more than they already might be). Please know we monitor the forums closely, though, so feel free to post your feedback in this or any other thread.

TheOddOne

its not the Nextbox
its Kinect 2.
WE ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE A NEW CORE GAME, STAR WARS KINECT 2!

tumblr_m8o5cq66DC1qaii6yo1_500.gif

Holy shit, this can't be coincidence, right? I really hope so.

---

Also Sony patented a technology, which can block used games on a system. This was speculated by many analysts and if Sony decides to block used games on their PS4, I wonder what Microsoft will do?
The whole "trade in a game" thing will die, if this comes true.

---

Someone in one of the used game threads made the argument that if only one of the HD twins blocks used games it could very well be a PR disaster/gold mine.

Shadders

Next Xbox will come out in 2014 or 2015

It will get some sort of release in 2013, I'm willing to put money on that if you'd like.

I say some sort of release, because I have it on very good authority that there were production issues and they don't have the full number of chips they ordered (I forget if it was GPU or CPU). They may only release in the US, and there will probably be a very limited supply, but it will release in 2013.

Overdoziz

Banned
Next week's installment will not contain information about our upcoming Title Update, though. Like the previous TU, we'll share a complete change list once it has been released, in order to not spread information about glitches and exploits that are live in Matchmaking (we don't want them abused any more than they already might be).

Meanwhile at DICE:

DICE have released the new Battlefield 3 patch details, which fixes a number of issues and tweaks several weapons and vehicles. The biggest changes include PlayStation 3 input lag fix, which has been an issue ever since the game launched last year. In addition, about a dozen weapons have been tweaked and some have received long-awaited bug fixes as well. Finally, several maps have been fixed in various game modes.
The patch will be released in the next few days across all platforms. Check out the full patch change log after the break.
  1. Addressed “input lag” on PS3
    If you have been experiencing “input lag” playing Battlefield 3 on PlayStation 3, we now believe we have significantly improved this situation for all players.
  2. Improved audio stability on PS3
    The audio dropouts reported by some PlayStation 3 gamers playing Battlefield 3 should now be fixed for the majority of players .
  3. Weapons balancing
    Based on detailed community feedback and data analysis we have made some minor weapon tweaks to recoil and accuracy. The goal of these tweaks, and the overall goal in Battlefield 3, is to give each weapon a unique feel and competitive performance to other weapons of a similar type.
    • M416: First shot and horizontal recoil slightly increased. This should make the choice between M16 and M416 more interesting again.
    • L85A2: Slightly reduced horizontal recoil.
    • AUG: first shot recoil slightly to increase weapon controllability.
    • FAMAS: Slightly reduced horizontal recoil.
    • G53: Vertical recoil reduced to make this weapon more controllable.
    • QBZ-95B: Slightly reduced horizontal recoil.
    • LSAT: Hip accuracy has been increased to highlight the weapon’s role as a highly mobile LMG.
    • Type88 LMG: Recoil has been decreased to make it a viable option when compared to the M249.
    • M5K: Increased horizontal recoil and decreased vertical recoil to focus this weapon as a high damage, low control PDW.
    • UMP45: Decreased fully automatic fire to differentiate this weapon from the PP2000.
    • MP412: Increased its accuracy to better distinguish it from the .44 Magnum.
    • M26: Increased aimed accuracy to be in line with the other shotguns.
  4. Weapons bug fixes
    • Fixed the MTAR’s range not being correctly reduced when equipped with the sound suppressor.
    • Fixed a bug where suppressive fire had reduced effect on the M16 and M5K when compared with other weapons.
    • Fixed a bug where the M5K’s Flash Suppressor had no effect on accuracy.
    • Fixed the L86A2 Heavy Barrel’s hip accuracy penalty being far larger than other weapons.
    • Fixed an issue with the Mk3 shotgun’s ACOG being low resolution.
  5. M-COM disarm fix
    Fixed an issue where M-COM stations couldn’t be disarmed from the left side while standing up.
  6. Alborz Mountains rock fix
    Rocks and stones collision tweaked on Armored Kill maps. Players should no longer be able to exploit a collision issue that allowed them to hide inside rock formations.
  7. Operation Shield/Alborz Mountains Tank Superiority area fix
    Tank Superiority visual combat areas fixed on Operation Shield and Alborz Mountains. There was earlier a 10×10 meter patch on the mountain that became out of combat for US. This was technically already fixed server side, however this will update the actual visuals to be correct.
  8. Death Valley collision fix
    Collision tweaked on the railroad tunnel roof. This fix prevents players from being able to hide inside the railroad tunnel roof.
  9. Sharqi Squad Rush spawn fix
    Players would sometimes spawn out of combat if spawning shortly after the first M-COM explodes on Squad Rush on Sharqi Peninsula. With this fix, spawn points have been moved back to prevent this from happening.
  10. Alborz Mountains Squad Rush fix
    Cameras were incorrect in the spawn menu, pointing to old locations and not where you would actually spawn in. This has now been fixed.
  11. Gunship balancing changes
    We have now removed the gunship FLIR view (the position is still available, just not the black/white view) and decreased the damage radius of cannon explosions. This was done because of balancing reasons. Previously it was too easy for the gunner to get visual contact on enemy soldiers on the maps, and the splash damage is reduced to make it harder to kill infantry from the cannon seat.
  12. Mobile Artillery spawn bug fixed
    Two players can no longer spawn into the Mobile Artillery. This was a spawn-in-menu bug on the Operation Shield map which has now been fixed.
  13. Tweaked hard to get medals
    Looking at the persistence system, we could see that a number of the hard to get medals were actually too hard to achieve (in our opinion based on our intended design). While we never meant for all medals to have an equal distribution, the hardest ones were still intended to be more achievable than they have proven to be so far. Therefore, we have slightly decreased the prerequisites to achieve a number of the hardest to get medals in the game. One positive side effect (if you like playing Recon) is that we will likely see a slight bump in the Recon kit’s average Score Per Minute overall.

Should start a pool/draw for guessing next year's Halo.

20/1 odds on Halo Wars 2 for 360/Durango
5/1 odds on Halo 2 Remake for 360
10/1 odds on Halo Trilogy Durango Exclusive Launch Title
9/2 odds on Halo 4 Special Edition (ALL DLC+Spartan Ops) for 360
200/1 odds on ODST 2 for Durango
If season 2 of Spartan Ops were to blatantly rip off the story and mission design of ODST and give it a coat of Halo 4 paint, it would be a guaranteed purchase from me. As it stands now with what we've been given, my money's staying in my pocket.

No Tombstone or Desolation though right?
Pretty sure it has everything.

Fuchsdh

If season 2 of Spartan Ops were to blatantly rip off the story and mission design of ODST and give it a coat of Halo 4 paint, it would be a guaranteed purchase from me. As it stands now with what we've been given, my money's staying in my pocket.

Pretty sure it has everything.

Does anyone here *not* want Spartan Ops to riff on ODST for a possible season 2? Since it would be created out of whole cloth I don't see the limitations. While I like Ops as it is, it's clearly a tiny percentage of its true potential, and fixing some of the narrative and gameplay elements won't really take it to the next level.

Halo episodic content would be awesome, and should be awesome.

Meanwhile at DICE:

I don't understand this statement. She just said they aren't releasing a changelog until they release the TU. Isn't that a fairly normal practice? The reasoning makes sense to me.

Does anyone here *not* want Spartan Ops to riff on ODST for a possible season 2? Since it would be created out of whole cloth I don't see the limitations. While I like Ops as it is, it's clearly a tiny percentage of its true potential, and fixing some of the narrative and gameplay elements won't really take it to the next level.

I'd love it. But I want Season 1 to fix itself first.

GhaleonEB

They need to overhaul the underlying game systems and encounter design to get me interested. If it's the same wave based unlimited life instant respawn no scoring trudge we have already, no new setting will make that compelling to me. I didn't make it halfway through the first five episodes before losing interest.

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't understand this statement. She just said they aren't releasing a changelog until they release the TU. Isn't that a fairly normal practice? The reasoning makes sense to me.
DICE releases (expected) patchnotes often months before the patch hits and they keep descriptions of exploits vague enough so people can't abuse it, but precise enough so people know what it's about. Being transparent about what you're going to do with the game and what you're working on will cause a lot less frustration, especially for the people who want certain things changed. There are enough companies who openly share upcoming patches so people can discuss it so they get even more feedback. Would it kill 343 to have a blog or separate section for patch and matchmaking updates where the playlist manager says what changed they're making and why they're making them? Now we get a short section in a bulletin where BS Angel pretends to know anything about what's going on in Halo multiplayer without any sort of proper explanation. Be transparent for once, 343.

I don't know, I just dislike companies keeping people in the dark like that. Maybe I'm too "entitled".

I would much rather have something like Tayari Plaza released as weekly (hell, I'd settle for monthly) episode, complete with everything that ODST offered with skulls, scoring, theater, etc. Start the entire season with the introduction to the hub world, where every resulting mission/episode stems from. Then, even if you're tired of the missions, you can fart around in the hub and still fight bad guys for space points. Seems like a no-brainer, but what the hell do I know from my computer at a decidedly non-gaming workplace.

Not Tombstone or Desolation. They were released after that disc came out.
Oh well, not missing much.

They need to overhaul the underlying game systems and encounter design to get me interested. If it's the same wave based unlimited life instant respawn no scoring trudge we have already, no new setting will make that compelling to me. I didn't make it halfway through the first five episodes before losing interest.
I will say that playing Heroic solo is kind of a sweet spot, right up until you get killed for the first time. Then it's just a downhill tumble of respawning right in the middle of enemies with no hope of escape. You're right though; the enemy AI design needs a complete overhaul, not the least of which is scaling based on the number of people in the party.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So... that guy is still legit?

I honestly don't know. In the back of my head I feel like this is all a scam. He's going to be playing with Ghostayame in about an hour and I've sent a friend request trying to join. I'm going to find out for myself I guess lol

I honestly don't know. In the back of my head I feel like this is all a scam. He's going to be playing with Ghostayame in about an hour and I've sent a friend request trying to join. I'm going to find out for myself I guess lol
THAT was supposed to be the dude from Virgin Gaming? okaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy...

Happy Birthday, Hydra. I'm sure you're still just a kid.

Fuchsdh

I would much rather have something like Tayari Plaza released as weekly (hell, I'd settle for monthly) episode, complete with everything that ODST offered with skulls, scoring, theater, etc. Start the entire season with the introduction to the hub world, where every resulting mission/episode stems from. Then, even if you're tired of the missions, you can fart around in the hub and still fight bad guys for space points. Seems like a no-brainer, but what the hell do I know from my computer at a decidedly non-gaming workplace.

Oh well, not missing much.

I will say that playing Heroic solo is kind of a sweet spot, right up until you get killed for the first time. Then it's just a downhill tumble of respawning right in the middle of enemies with no hope of escape. You're right though; the enemy AI design needs a complete overhaul, not the least of which is scaling based on the number of people in the party.

Definitely. Like I said, they need to adjust season 1 as much as they can first, and I'm hopeful they will.

Personally, I've played Ops as much as Firefight, and I find it fixes a lot of the issues I had with the latter, while introducing some new ones (the lives and scoring element being the main one.) There's so much more potential and I think they need to grab some of it now or else no one will want a Season 2, even if it is great.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
THAT was supposed to be the dude from Virgin Gaming? okaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy...

Happy Birthday, Hydra. I'm sure you're still just a kid.

No no, that wasn't him. That was some other guy. I don't know what their relationship is.

Happy Birthday Nockz! 2 days before mine eh? January bros 4lyfe

Why would games like GTA 5 and Splinter Cell release this year if the next console is coming out in just a few months? They are confirmed to only be released on the 360. Someone who works at Rockstar said that there is still a lot of life in the 360 too. It doesn't make sense.
because the 360 install base is huge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom