• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

J10

Banned
Got a few there that are perfect, thanks!

Any one know which planet the Covenant are attacking here? I know it is the first planet they attacked, but I can't for the life of me remember First Strike.

Harvest, but I'm pretty sure Harvest wouldn't look anything like that, unless that's what a rural setting looks like in the 26th century..

renderoz.jpg

Guess what this is?

Its from Metroid Prime, Great tree chamber or something.

Right?

Edit: Maybe not, sure looks like it tho

m23

So it looks like all my campaign progress has magically been erased. Anybody run into the same issue and find a fix?

Moa

It did almost get shut down though (Wars stats). Everyone yelled about it at 343 until they changed their mind and kept it on.

Really?

I literally didn't know about 343i until they announced Halo 4, didn't pay any attention to Halo Waypoint at all.

kylej

Banned
looks like a persons face in the background of that cortana/chief pic

haven't beat campaign so maybe thats obvious i dunno

snip[/img]

Was it Chief she was concerned about touching, or the fact that she was touching anything at all? A cutscene or two before, she was lamenting on about how she'll never be able to feel the sun, and about not being able to feel real, despite her intelligence, ie: "I can give you over 40 000 reasons why that sun isn't real."

Edit: dunno

Omni

AIs only being able to survive 10 years or whatever is a really lame construct in the halo universe
Yah. I think it originated from Marathon

I remember reading some conjecture a few years back which speculated that Cortana had surpassed rampancy in Halo 3. I was kinda hoping that Halo 4 would follow on from that, but meh. Hopefully in 5 they focus on the bigger picture

So spoilers are fair game now?
It's been two months. I think if anyone was going to finish it, they'd have done so by now. Just my opinion though

I remember reading some conjecture a few years back which speculated that Cortana had surpassed rampancy in Halo 3. I was kinda hoping that Halo 4 would follow on from that, but meh. Hopefully in 5 they focus on the bigger picture

The story beats in Halo 4 follow a familiar trilogy pattern, and so I'd say it suggests that that will likely be the case.

I actually thought that scene was very well done.

Agree. Chief's utter refusal to accept "defeat" as it were really portrayed how Earth-shattering that moment was for him. He's rarely ever had to do that before. At least not since he lost the rest of his Spartans. Cortana had always been pretty much his only friend, and guidance. Chief had only ever lost someone that important to him with Sam, which was likely part of what cause him to lock up more than the average Spartan - and I would argue Cortana was even more important to him. The end of Halo 4 marked a transitioning for John's character. He moves away from considering himself a machine, to realizing that he's had feelings all along. At least, I seem to think so.

Havok

That cutscene was so awkward.

The audio log from Halsey at the beginning of Requiem suggests the same...but then they kept barreling down the path anyway.

They've written themselves into a really weird corner. They can (endgame events)
either bring her back, which feels like a cop out and makes that event feel cheap and meaningless, or they don't bring her back and it feels like there were a bunch of story threads about her left dangling.

Considering the potential I thought the setup for Halo 4 had (Chief and Cortana alone on an alien world, her approaching the end of her life, no contact possible with anyone, no UNSC barking orders at you, a mysterious ancient evil lurking somewhere), the story they decided to tell just falls kind of flat for me. It feels like a massive waste of potential to immediately step right back into a grand galactic war where not really a whole lot has changed (UNSC vs. Covenant (now + Forerunner), UNSC is outmatched technologically (this time by Forerunner tech)) instead of utilizing the unique situation that the end of Halo 3 left them in.

GhaleonEB

I actually thought that scene was very well done.

It didn't work for me a on a few levels. I was frustrated from the gameplay that took place right before, and confused about what was happening during the cut scene itself. I still have no idea.

I always thought the relationship between Cortana and the Chief was one of more companionship/utility so the romantic tension came off as really awkward to me.

Moa

AIs only being able to survive 10 years or whatever is a really lame construct in the halo universe

When they made Cortana, it was seven years.

It is mainly seven purely because Bungie wanted to slap a seven reference on everything.

Considering it is now 2557, I'd expect they've managed to at least let AIs live a lot longer than seven years, time will tell.

I'm just extremely interested in where they are going to take the story, the whole focus of the Campaign was Chief finding his humanity, hence the
"She said that to me once, about being a machine"
line at the very end, and with Chief
back home on Earth, well, on Infinity at least, you can't get any more human than that.

It didn't work for me a on a few levels. I was frustrated from the gameplay that took place right before, and confused about what was happening during the cut scene itself. I still have no idea.

I always thought the relationship between Cortana and the Chief was one of more companionship/utility so the romantic tension came off as really awkward to me.

The rampant personalities she split off to disrupt the Didact's shields were still in his ship when Chief made it go kaboom, Cortana herself was in the hardlight bridge, once he pressed the boom button on the nuke, she got it out of the way, and formed a protective shield around Chief, made of her rampant personalities & hardlight.

Well, that's my guess any way.

That cutscene was so awkward.
The audio log from Halsey at the beginning of Requiem suggests the same...but then they kept barreling down the path anyway.

They've written themselves into a really weird corner. They can (endgame events)
either bring her back, which feels like a cop out and makes that event feel cheap and meaningless, or they don't bring her back and it feels like there were a bunch of story threads about her left dangling.

Considering the potential I thought the setup for Halo 4 had (Chief and Cortana alone on an alien world, her approaching the end of her life, no contact possible with anyone, no UNSC barking orders at you, a mysterious ancient evil lurking somewhere), the story they decided to tell just falls kind of flat for me. It feels like a massive waste of potential to immediately step right back into a grand galactic war where not really a whole lot has changed (UNSC vs. Covenant (now + Forerunner), UNSC is outmatched technologically (this time by Forerunner tech)) instead of utilizing the unique situation that the end of Halo 3 left them in.

Wait, I was under the impression the entire game + Spartan Ops was a demonstration that that is absolutely no longer the case any more. Rather than go the peace-time route, 343 decided to escalate, while also showing Humanity's period of transformation - to becoming Reclaimers, the rightful heir to the "Forerunner" throne. The fact that this is called the Reclaimer trilogy seems to suggest a focus on that theme. The question that's posed throughout the current fiction, and here is: Who deserves it, Humanity, the Forerunners, or someone or something else?

Havok

Wait, I was under the impression the entire game + Spartan Ops was a demonstration that that is absolutely no longer the case any more. Rather than go the peace-time route, 343 decided to escalate, while also showing Humanity's period of transformation - to becoming Reclaimers, the rightful heir to the "Forerunner" throne. The fact that this is called the Reclaimer trilogy seems to suggest a focus on that theme. The question that's posed throughout the current fiction, and here is: Who deserves it, Humanity, the Forerunners, or someone or something else?
On the ground, sure, they can hold their own. In space, look how impotent the UNSC was against a single Forerunner ship. And that's basically the same situation, albeit taken to the extreme, that they were in during the war with the Covenant. Now humanity can blow the Covenant away, but then are immediately brought to their knees by something even bigger! The DBZ-style power level escalation just kind of bores me at this point. I'm not going to argue that the story they decided to tell wasn't well told (though I think some breathing room for exposition throughout the game instead of one big info dump would have made for a better experience), just that I don't think it's all that interesting compared to what could have been, mostly tonally.

Omni

In Halo 5 or 6, I really want the Precursors to come back and wipe out humanity
for not being worthy of the mantle
. I like the idea of a final stand. Or even Chief dying for the cause, at least.

On the ground, sure, they can hold their own. In space, look how impotent the UNSC was against a single Forerunner ship. And that's basically the same situation, albeit taken to the extreme, that they were in during the war with the Covenant. Now humanity can blow the Covenant away, but then are immediately brought to their knees by something even bigger! The DBZ power level escalation just kind of bores me at this point. I'm not going to argue that the story they decided to tell wasn't well told, just that I don't think it's all that interesting compared to what could have been, mostly tonally.

Fair enough. But it's worth noting that I don't think the direction they took in Halo 4 was all that surprising, considering the story up to that point. They've been going bigger and better, talking about Precursors, and Graveminds
(some say they are the same thing)
for awhile now. Still, I maintain that the important story told in the game is the one between Chief and Cortana, and to appreciate the state of where the overall Halo story is at this point, it is still, largely, with respect to the Terminals and the novels, absolutely essential to have an understanding of them. The game still doesn't compare, unfortunately, in my opinion - which sucks. The weird part is I both love/hate 343 for this. I love them because they are responsible for the excellent fiction thus far. And I "hate", nay that's a strong word, I'm somewhat displeased, with how they integrated that fiction into the Campaign. But, I was always annoyed at Bungie for doing the same damn thing, so it's nothing new for me, haha...

Central characters going forward are: Halsey, Lasky, Arbiter, Chief, Ur/Bornstellar-Didact, Librarian, 343 Guilty Spark/Chakas/Lord of Admirals, Master Builder Faber. I'm sure some more will be introduced, but these are the ones the games should focus on, for sure.

Edit: Just want to clarify: I think choosing to having the focus be on Cortana and Chief, and leaving the overall story mostly out of the campaign was born intentionally, not out of ineptitude. I just think that still is a mistake, in my opinion, but I suppose you don't want to make the story too complex for the casuals. Hence terminals, etc.

FyreWulff

I thought they were going to do it.

Ha ha, my roommate told me the same thing when he got to that.

My issue with the whole thing is okay, she's suddenly hardlight and real.. they should have emphasized this by properly making her transparent throughout the whole game like she was in the previous Halo games, THEN go for the solid look at exactly that scene. It would have driven "she's real now" home much more clearly and been more obvious as to what was happening.

Instead, they make her solid for the most of the game, and it's inconsistent whether a terminal or button she's being projected out of makes her solid or transparent. So you get to that scene and you don't even really understand wtf is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom