• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

Didact concept art/models.

original.jpg

Listen to the epilogue cutscene with this as the image. It makes him seem so much more badass.

Computron

343, outsource MP maps to these guys.

http://imgur.com/a/QNbrl

A lot of the things that are technically impressive about the way Mirror's edge did its lighting have been in Halo's lighting system since Halo 3.

The execution and aesthetic on the other hand...

...Well, I will just say that some of the human, indoor architectural maps like in Reach were a missed opportunity.

Swordbase was pretty flat and clinical.
Countdown was bland.
Courtyard as well.
Anchor 9 was headed in the right direction but fell short.
Condemned was allright.
And Reflection was actually pretty interesting.

Halo 3 had some really slick indoor lighting with Orbital.
Last Resort was decent as well, if you wanna count that map as indoor.
High Ground as well
Ghost town was good.
The Pit was also.
Blackout was meh.
Foundry as well.

Ken

More Power Rangers than Halo.

That's only because he's on screen for 5 seconds. He puts it on as soon as he can.

I won't lie; I've yet to finish the campaign so I'm going off of cutscene videos on Youtube. Stopped playing after you stop the Didact's Pokeball from capturing the Infinity or whatever.

New important enemy
Everyone knows about him but you (read the books bk)
Takes helmet off, even Cortana laughs
Tries to blow up California
CoD QTE
He dies, 50% of the US' debt is saved (go Chief)

Lets give the Didact badass armor and stick him in a floating ball the whole game.
What is that ball anyway? If its his prison he sure likes it. He uses that Didactipod to control the planet and fly around and control his ship. It's weird. Is he super-hero crouched inside that thing the whole time? Or did he just do that to look cool when he emerged in front of the Chief?

BigShow36

One of my biggest gripes with the game. You have this new world to explore with endless possibilities, yet you are given just more of the same.

Alright Chief, lets gear up for this epic trek to reach the next button to press. We're going to cross snowy mountain passes, traverse a forrest of massive old-growth trees, trudge through murky swamps, and finally reach the Cliffs of Insanity.

Or we could jump into this random portal that just conveniently opened. I assume it's going to take us where we need to go. Your call, but not really because we're taking the portal.

But.. but... you get to explore this vast new forerunner world in Spartan Ops. Right?

You have to break a few eggheads to make an omelette.

Dirtbag

damn I destroy at Anniversary. Just went +20, +16, +15
Played 1 flag on damnnation, miss 1 flag, but boy is that a bad map for 1flag.
Literally only 2 ways to the flag.

Tawpgun

It just wasn't anything special is all.

No WOW encounters. Nothing I was talking about for days after it happened...

Actually I will say the trench run was awesome. Other than that...

Fracas

#fuckonami
I liked the campaign on my first playthrough, but I'm not enjoying it nearly as much on my Legendary run. The dialogue and presentation are still good, but the combat leaves much to be desired.

Promethean combat needs to be revamped. First off, every time I engage in a firefight, my first thought shouldn't be "oh shit where's the watcher". In my experience, every encounter begins with me scanning for watchers and taking them out. No variety at all. You basically have to attack them first, or Knights are nearly impossible to kill.

Secondly, improve feedback. It's difficult to tell how close I am to finishing off a Knight. They don't really react to my shots either. Reach was sublime in this regard. Crawlers are acceptable for the most part. Only complaint I have regarding them is it feels like headshots aren't registering consistently.

After years of lurking I have finally joined your ranks my HaloGAF friends.

Welcome! We're a speedrunning community now, though.

Fuchsdh

It just wasn't anything special is all.

No WOW encounters. Nothing I was talking about for days after it happened...

Actually I will say the trench run was awesome. Other than that...

Woulda been better in a Longsword and with less StarFox style gun enemies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That Urban Dictionary posting is hilarious. Mike Dongblain, tell us what made you want to post it.

Oh wait.

That's because it was, regardless of it's story flaws.
I like it the more I play it. We'll see if that holds after doing a few more weekly campaign challenges.

Its all pretty good except for the level-that-shall-not-be-named.

Playable scale and imposing verticality seems to have been ditched in a concession to the graphics overhaul, but I expect amazing things once 343 isn't limited by the 360's hardware.

Petrichor

I liked the campaign on my first playthrough, but I'm not enjoying it nearly as much on my Legendary run. The dialogue and presentation are still good, but the combat leaves much to be desired.

Promethean combat needs to be revamped. First off, every time I engage in a firefight, my first thought shouldn't be "oh shit where's the watcher". In my experience, every encounter begins with me scanning for watchers and taking them out. No variety at all. You basically have to attack them first, or Knights are nearly impossible to kill.

Secondly, improve feedback. It's difficult to tell how close I am to finishing off a Knight. They don't really react to my shots either. Reach was sublime in this regard. Crawlers are acceptable for the most part. Only complaint I have regarding them is it feels like headshots aren't registering consistently.

Just ditch the prometheans altogether. They don't work from a gameplay perspective nor a design perspective. In fact I'm beginning to suspect that the lack of foreshadowing in the campaign was a deliberate contingency plan, just in case the didact / prometheans weren't well received, so they could easily be cut from Halo 5 and Halo 6 without necessitating retcons.

At least, I hope that's the case.

I was enjoying myself up until the 6th level. After that, I started to see how boring the Prometheans were to fight. As you said, pretty much every encounter played out the same. Kill the watchers, than the crawlers and then all the knights. That's pretty much it for me in every scenario. In previous Halo games when you were fighting the Covenant, I'd depend on the situation. Elites or Grunts first? Are there any Jackel snipers that could be annoying when engaging Elites/Brutes? Hunters or the surrounding enemies? That's the variety that made the Covenant so much fun to fight for me. And I'm not even talking about the AI behavior of the Promethean behavior. That's another big factor that makes the Prometheans much less fun to fight.

I think Ghaleon once said that most of the time, there wasn't one good way to combat the Covenant. It'd depend on the situation and the weapons you're carrying and even then, the same encounter could play out very differently if you choose to tackle the encounter differently. That's pretty much gone now in Halo 4. Even the Covenant seems less fun to fight. Elites just stand still when being shot at from a distant, you're spammed with Fuel Rod grunts. 343 really has to revamp the Enemy behavior for Halo 5. Maybe give the Prometheans some vehicles to use and/or change some of their unfair behavior (teleporting, hard to headshot). There're many things to change. Not learning from this would be a huge mistake.

Wat the what.

https://waypointprod.blob.core.windows.net/blogfilestore/storage/blogs/headlines/2013/1/11/spops3.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It was known since the announcement of the Infinity Challenges that the person who leads the Spartan Ops Leaderboards will become a face in a future Halo title.

[quote="enzo_gt, post: 46330911"][URL="http://kotaku.com/5975084/sorry-joker-this-guy-knows-edi-better-than-you"]Didact concept art/models[/URL].

[IMG]http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18b4rjisssh5bjpg/original.jpg
original.jpg

original.jpg
Yes. I am one of the few but goddamnit I love the Didact. I even like his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom