• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Any of the novels (especially the Reach hardback!)

In order of preference:
1. Reach Game Guide
2. Graphic Novel
3. Primordium
4. Silentium

Super awesome, Ghaleon! And I'd love to grab the Reach guide, monster. <33333333333

Primordium and Silentium are yours, the other two went first.

Is Primordium still available? I'd like that please if so.

Sorry, I missed Enfinit's post.

I will take whatever I can get, lol.

I read Reach, and started the second Halo book and didn't finish it. Started the first Gears book and never finished it. Started the first Dexter book and never finished it..

Wait, the Prometheus artbook and the 2 hard books is a go?

You want the Promethus book? The other two went first.

GhaleonEB

Halo 2 soundtrack?

Im kind of just posting, didnt read the rules that well c:

*Im a junior, I dont think Im in ?*

I feel kind of like a dick for ignoring this post, to heck with the jr. thing. You got it, shoot me a PM with your address.

The Halsey journal is the only item left.

Moa

I feel kind of like a dick for ignoring this post, to heck with the jr. thing. You got it, shoot me a PM with your address.

No one likes Halsey :(

I'd totally take it if no one else does, but that's just being greedy.

Ghaleon freeing himself from the cages of Video Games. Congrats! Go live! Send us a message from beyond to tell us what its like!

(Anyways super awesome of you)

GhaleonEB

<3

Just to be clear, I didn't give away all the stuff. I've loved Halo for a decade and have accumulated a fair amount of swag over the years (not to mention the games themselves), and I'm hanging onto much of it.

But it just felt wrong to hang onto a lot of stuff I was given (or aquired) when I ultimately didn't care for the direction things went. Like it was swag that went off target. So I wanted to send them to folks that would appreciate it more than I.

Edit: here's what I've got. I'll check for PMs in the morning and then work on shipping.

Code:
Items	GAFer
Halo 4 and Guide	op_ivy
Posters	Moa
Reach Guide	monsterfracas
Halo 2 Soundtrack	Nowise10
Halo Anniversary	OverHeat
Cryptum and Primordium	Enfinit
Bootcamp Novel	Hey You
Batman Book	Eye Drop
The Orange Box	Franklinator
Prometheus Book	malfcn
Let me know if I messed anything up.

789shadow

Banned
Anyone else attempting to challenge the Gods in this Winnie the Pooh Home Run Derby flash game?

Owl is zig-zagging his pitches. I don't even.

<3

Just to be clear, I didn't give away all the stuff. I've loved Halo for a decade and have accumulated a fair amount of swag over the years (not to mention the games themselves), and I'm hanging onto much of it.

But it just felt wrong to hang onto a lot of stuff I was given (or aquired) when I ultimately didn't care for the direction things went. Like it was swag that went off target. So I wanted to send them to folks that would appreciate it more than I.

You know, I've been lurking HaloGAF for quite a long time. You're pretty much a god-tier poster in my books. Truly an end of an era, as it were. :/ Thanks for the reads.

Moa

OpTic (CoD champions) vs Warriors (Halo champions) about to go down.

www.twitch.tv/ninja

6f6.gif

D'awww, OpTic aren't on :(
Zombies instead.

Cashed in what would've been Halo time in exchange for some The Cabin in the Woods watching time. It was a good trade. I don't understand how people can like horror movies and not like The Cabin in the Woods.

Anyways: thanks go to Halo 4 for motivating me to finally watch that movie.

Hot damn, not caring about the default shit on juniors standing...this is truly end times.

The Halsey Reach journal is really cool.

Kibbles

Wasn't there some site someone posted where you could make custom speaker tags for Astros? Need that just got me some a40s

MIMIC

Banned
Just played on a map called "Harvest" while playing SWAT. When did they add new maps?

And I can't even view it in Theater Mode. I get a message saying "The film cannot be played. It is damaged, DLC is missing, or it is from a different Halo 4 version"

lolwut

EDIT: Oh, it's part of the Crimson map pack.? Hmmmm....I didn't buy Crimson yet. lol

DeadNames

Banned
Just played on a map called "Harvest" while playing SWAT. When did they add new maps?

And I can't even view it in Theater Mode. I get a message saying "The film cannot be played. It is damaged, DLC is missing, or it is from a different Halo 4 version"

lolwut

Did you get the DLC?
Edit: Did you do the 14 day trial thing?

Ryaaan14

Banned
Cashed in what would've been Halo time in exchange for some The Cabin in the Woods watching time. It was a good trade. I don't understand how people can like horror movies and not like The Cabin in the Woods.

Anyways: thanks go to Halo 4 for motivating me to finally watch that movie.
GREAT movie.

Yeah movie time has been sucking my video game time away. Realized lately that I really don't give a shit about vidya games when I lost touch with all the people I poured hundreds of hours into Halo with.

Interesting interview with David Jaffe: edit:apparently can't link to that site.

One part in particular stood out to me, when asked about how the industry is coping with respect to the economy:
...we are seeing two trends, one I consider very bad, one I consider very exciting.

Trend #1 (the bad one): More and more game creators are having a hard time settling down in one area because- chances are- a move is in the future. This makes adult life and family life very hard. And thus it motivates more and more experienced people to walk away from the industry. This is a big problem because such a nascent medium needs vets who have experience that is much needed-as creators, mentors, and/or teachers- if the definition of 'game' is going to move well beyond where it currently is.

Trend #2 (the exciting one): Remote teams. Because of the growing age of many in the biz, because the uncertainty of long term employment at most game making studios, because smaller games are now a viable business, and because today's tech makes it so easy, we are seeing more and more teams work out of virtual offices. I think this is wonderful for the medium because it means- like in the movies- you can assemble the right, best people for the specific game.

Makes me think about how Halo might be developed in the future.

Hirednoobs rage post incoming in 15 minutes.

GreenCastle: 343 DID that already. They pick and chose what companies to do what parts of Halo4. Look how that turned out. You need passion to make a great game and that requires people getting together in the same building day after day and building most of the game. Gaming isn't the same as Movies.

You need passion to make a great game and that requires people getting together in the same building day after day and building most of the game. Gaming isn't the same as Movies.

Agreed. Keep in mind that Hollywood has been working under this model of project-by-project team building for decades and their success rate is still way below 50%. I'm not excited to see video games move in that direction at all.

Yep, video games really aren't the same as movies. Having different parts of a game go to different companies reduces cohesion and the soul from a game. But I expect this trend to continue, it makes development costs cheaper.

In Halo 4's case, the game feels like it has no soul and solely exists to make money.

Yep, video games really aren't the same as movies. Having different parts of a game go to different companies reduces cohesion and the soul from a game. But I expect this trend to continue, it makes development costs cheaper.

Also, when a movie goes to, let's say, an effects house for post-production, that effects house is usually getting 100% of the sequence that they have to apply industrial grade lights and magics to.

If a video game company sends some MP map designs to an extreme digital company of some kind while they are still in the middle of balancing their MP, how is the extreme digital company supposed to know what will work and what won't? They don't have the completed sandbox.

Interesting interview with David Jaffe: edit:apparently can't link to that site.

One part in particular stood out to me, when asked about how the industry is coping with respect to the economy:

Makes me think about how Halo might be developed in the future.

He was remote for much of Twisted Metal's dev with Eat Sleep Play and released a game that was totally broken and it was like he had no fuckin idea. ESP is no more and Jaffe went on to form something stating didn't like being remote as the studio was in Utah and he was in San Diego.

Love Jaffe and Twisted but that was as bad of a release as I have ever seen, a shame because the play mechanics were stellar.

Sounds familiar.

Ryaaan14

Banned

In Halo 4's case, the game feels like it has no soul and solely exists to make money.
Halo 4 is guilty of begging for money but so are the army games that come out constantly. People lap that shit up so that is what video games have become.

Hopefully the indie game scene will learn to move past 2D platformers, then we'll be in for a treat.

Edit: And the day AAA titles have to change to compete with indie games is the day gaming is saved.

Hirednoobs rage post incoming in 15 minutes.

GreenCastle: 343 DID that already. They pick and chose what companies to do what parts of Halo4. Look how that turned out. You need passion to make a great game and that requires people getting together in the same building day after day and building most of the game. Gaming isn't the same as Movies.

Agreed. I was more trying to point out that other big developers are thinking the same way as perhaps 343 was when they made Halo 4.

Halo 4 is guilty of begging for money but so are the army games that come out constantly. People lap that shit up so that is what video games have become.

Hopefully the indie game scene will learn to move past 2D platformers, then we'll be in for a treat.

Edit: And the day AAA titles have to change to compete with indie games is the day gaming is saved.

Yuuuup, been waiting for the 3D platformer reset and it's gonna happen through indie games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom