• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

eeblogue

Neo Member
Just before the event Nexy and Animal approached me wondering if I could get a Halo news hub going for competitive people to go to, thought cool why not. So we did our thing and I got a PM today from the moderating staff and was told to cease covering everything about TheHaloCouncil besides the podcast on their site. The irony of the thing is MLG DOESN'T cover Halo in any aspect anymore.

This isn’t some new stance by MLG; you’ve just jumped over the fence and are seeing firsthand how backwards they are. Good for you though, the best thing the competitive community can do is get off their website and stop using their name.

Davidge is answering questions now.

Q: Will we hear any Gregorian Chants on the soundtrack?
A: Possibly. Something reesembling Gregorian Chants but not exactly like the original chant you are familiar with.

Q: Why change the music to something new rather than sticking with the old?
A: It's ten years later and the Chief has been on a journey and the music should travel with him. We should always be moving forward and looking for new ideas. The music needs to evolve as the story evolves.

Q: Living up to composer Marty O'Donnel must be stressful. What do you hope to bring to Halo that you think will make your work distinct from his, while still maintaining the classic sound of Halo?
A: It is indeed very daunting to live up to Marty's stuff. he was a groundbreaker for video game music and he set the bar very high.I'll be using more electronic production and sound creation techniques.

Q: What made you team up with 343 industries?, and have you played the halo games before? *Editors Note: >_>*
A: First of all I have played them and have done so from the start, since 2001. And yeah, you guys [343] are making it, so that's why. :)

Q: There will be electronic music or any other kind of music in addition to classical music?
A: I think that would be a BIG YES.

Q: Will there be songs from Halo 1-3? again :D
A: I think there is a thematic Halo score approach that I have tried to continue, but I haven't actually adapted any of the original themes.

Q: With Halo being a huge franchise and its fan base wide, what are you planning to 'bring to the table' that wont upset Halo fans and at the same time make them filled with that original Halo feeling?
A: I guess the most important thing is that I am a huge Halo fan myself, so I am the first to judge myself if I am not stepping up to the mark. I want the music to be the best it can be and I am on the same page as the majority of the players who care about this franchise.

Q: If there's one character you could choose from the halo series who would it be and why?
A: I'm not going to say Cortana! *Editors Note: Gurl gonna be in paaain* The Master Chief of course. He's the man of action, the hero, I want to be the MC, save the galaxy in my own small way.

Q: How did you get into music? Also, how did you decide you wanted to do the music for Halo?
A: I started as a singer songwriter, had a record deal when I was a teenager, playing in bands. My first success was Suzanne Vega, where I remixed Tom's Diner. That was a worldwide hit.

Q: What programs do you use to create the music?
A: Protools, and I sue COntact for sample instruments and I have a load of plugins, pretty much everything under the sun, but Protools is the main workstation.

Q: What do you think about making video game soundtrack?, what is the difference between them and the movies soundtrack,for you?
A: That caught me out initially - i though they would be very similar in aaproach but I have since found out it's a completely different medium to write for. For the most part with a game I have to use my imagination and put myself in that particular setting and write from that emotional feeling - unlike a movie where I am writing for what's on the screen, I am writing from the heart

Q: I noticed in the sample that you are using a large amount of drums in the music, is this to create a more 'heroic' feel to Chief?
A: A more "muscular" Chief, more physical.

Q: How many tracks have you composed?
A: Wow. It's gotta be in the hundreds. Not all of them are going to be used, obviously. Some are on the cutting room floor or the shelf. There's about four hours twenty minutes of music now, with forty to fifty pieces intact.Normally for every major moment within the game, I would write three pieces, I would play those to 343 and get their feedback and pick the one that best suits the action.

Q: Can you talk about the difference in music you have created for the Covenant vs the new enemy?
A: How would I put that into words... the Covenant themes are more direct, whereas the [REDACTED] are far more complex themes. With more variation.

(My Question, for Ghal)
Q: Is there a central theme for Halo 4, like the chanting from the previous trilogy?
A: That's down to 343 to answer. I think there are several key themes, memorable themes for this game. But it's up to the fans to decide, and attach themselves to a favorite theme.

Q: You will make parts with electric guitar solos?
A: In my own way... I have played some guitar myself on this score, but you may not actually recognize it as guitar....

Q: When was your first encounter with halo, and what were your first impressions ?
A: Yeah - it was way back in 2001 ina very dark studio in Bristol, making the second album I did with Massive Attack, whilst waiting fro them to arrive at the studio. the Xbox had just arrived and it was the first game I picked up. I loved the music, was particulalry taken with the monk theme and the use of choir on a video game. I thought it was outstanding.

Q: What was the hardest part of working on the score for Halo 4?
A: I don't know if there was one, there were many challenges, indeed the biggest challenge was the fact that there were so many. I had never worked in this medium before, so I was learning on the game.

Q: How long would you say the complete soundtrack will be? How many hours of compositions?
A: It will be hours long, depends how long it takes you to complete the game! *Editors note: Wasn't a great question but this response :-/*

Q: I'm a violinist and loved some of the scores done for the original Halo trilogy. How heavily will violins and string orchestra be integrated into the new electronic medium?
A: We've spent a lot of time working on orchestral arrangements for this project, spending many days in Abbey Road studios working with the top London session players and the top UK orchestrator working with us, who's scored many, many successful films. And a sixty piece orchestra.

Q: What is your favourite Halo game and soundtrack?
A: I would go back to the first one. It made the biggest impression on me. It was unique both as a game and a score.

Q: Will there be anything special done for the soundtrack such as breaking benjamin, hoobastank, and incubus for Halo 2?
A: I'd love to get different modern, contemporary artists and different remixes to take these tunes and rework them in their own style. I'll have to talk to 343 about that.

Q: Neil, answer honestly. Have you ever had inappropriate thoughts about Cortana?
A: ABSOLUTELY. I have been trying to get my GF to dress up in a Cortana suit. *Editors Note: Best response.*

Q: In the recent video, I spotted some extended techniques (bowing a table/using the ebow, etc). What unique/new sounds/instruments are you excited about bringing to the Halo universe
A: Generally I am loving experimenting with sonics in the studio and adding completely unique sounds and textures to the score to help flesh out this new universe that is being created. The instrument you point to is called a Kantele, it's from Finland, a traditional folk instrument.

Q: Will we get an idea of Forerunner or Covenant music? Do the grunts have their own music? For some reason, I see them as country music fans...
A: Well maybe there's a theme [Grunts] we haven't written yet....

Q: In the vidoc that was released today, when you said that you were bringing something new to Halo a dubstep-ish type music started playing. Will Halo 4 have dubstep-ish elements in the music?
A: Loosely, techniques yes, but no wub wub *Editors Note: Someone get this man a GAF account*

Q: sound quality For halo 4 will no doubt be amazing but what can we expect IE 5.1 Digital surround sound 7.1 ?
A: It's going to be 5.1

Q: Where do you personally look for inspiration?
A: In life. It's inspiration all around me. In the clouds, the streets below, my friends, my family.

Q: What are your greatest musical influences?
A: I hate answering this question. The very first album I ever owned was Abbey Road by the Beatles, so I have come full circle.

*Editors General Note: This is a much better Q&A than what normally happens. Props to 343, Neil & anyone else involved*

Q: What does a typical recording session entail?
A: Getting up early, meeting all the artists and performers, and settling in for a long day.

Q: Are you passionate about halo? or any other games?
A: No I'm not. :) Quite simply it's Halo all the way for me.

Q: As you have probably noticed, gamers are some of the most vocal critics in the entertainment industry. How do you deal with criticism for your work?
A: I love criticism as long as it's well thought through. i always listen to what people say, what they think about the music I make. I see it as a very positive thing as long as it's intended to be helpful.

Q: When you were a litle kid did you know this is what you wanted to do for the rest of your life make music? and how did it start for you.
A: Funny enough, the job that I wanted to do when everyone asked what you want to be when you grow up, nurse, doctor, train driver - I wanted to be a pop star. And I was an artist too, a painter.

Q: Will we be seeing various slow piano pieces, as we saw in the previous games?
A: There are some very beautiful, slow pieces, most of those are orchestral, there is some piano, but with the rest of the orchestra.

Q: What are your favourite collaborations with massive Attack? Which of their tracks would you recommend I listen to to better understand your style?
A: A cover we did with David Bowie, Nature Boy, that was pretty special. But Liz Frazier singing Teardrop would be the best intro to Massive Attack, that was magical, sitting there listening to her perform that vocal.

Q: Are you staying at 343i to compose the music for longer than Halo 4?
A: I hope, if everyone is happy with what I have done, to stay with 343 until they kick me out.

Statement: SO that's it from me. Thanks to everyone for tuning in and I hope you enjoy the game, and enjoy the music for the game. Thanks and goodbye, Neil.
Statement: If you want more from Neil, tune in to the 343 Sparkast this afternoon.
Coming soon

Selective editing policy.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, where's the vidoc? I can't find it. Are you guys just talking about the "Soundtrack Samples"?

Recarpo

Just saw the new video and heard the music and I think it all sounds fantastic. I think Neil will be a good fit from the big we've heard.

Wait, where's the vidoc? I can't find it. Are you guys just talking about the "Soundtrack Samples"?

This video was the one I was talking about and I assume what others were as well.

CyReN

Nothing worse than being called a liar. Clap is making it like I said Halo isn't allowed on the site now at MLG, untrue. Never said that, the links to THC are disallowed.

Nothing worse than being called a liar. Clap is making it like I said Halo isn't allowed on the site now at MLG, untrue. Never said that, the links to THC are disallowed.

Maybe they consider it to be advertising? I don't use the MLG forums, but maybe it's against the rules?

I got your back 'fracas, just read this in 4/4 time:
hmmmmmmmmmm HMMMMMMMMMMMM
hmmmmmmmmmm HMMMMMMMMMMMM
dedodeodeodeodoedo deedo deedo deedo do
dummmmmmmUMMMMMMMM DUMMMMMMM
Weeewwwoooooweeeewoooo deeeedooooooo

That should give you an idea of what it sounds like.

You forgot the Christmas female chant at the beginning of the ViDoc.
Pffft

This link is way better.

Thanks for the download! :)

Recarpo

Sorry to here that MLG is going downhill with halo. I've been following MLG halo for almost 6 years now so if there's anything any of us can help with, just let us know. It seems like MLG doesn't even want to try to keep halo around now that they have a bigger cash cow in starcraft.

GhaleonEB

I've put the links to today's videos, and David's download link, at the top of the OP if anyone needs a quick link to them down the road. Thanks for the DL link, David.

Overdoziz

Banned
On a slightly different note: I don't get why they don't promote the game (Halo) that actually needs promoting. Instead they only show off stuff about SC on their frontpage even though they'll make tons on that anyway.

Flipyap

I have to agree with Flipyap on that opening actually, the Chief's Helmet looks a bit ridiculous there. The older, simpler helmet would have looked better in that title screen.
The mouth piece seems particularly egregious.

I really had no idea what I was looking at when it first appeared on screen. All the detail below the visor is incredibly distracting, so the visor is no longer the part that draws your eyes on the design. There's nothing to focus on anymore, it's like looking inside a box full of rivets and other metal junk.
Even now, when I know what I'm supposed to be seeing, I have trouble recognizing it as the Master Chief. Reminds me more of Carter, and I don't like being reminded of that shitty space guy.

m23

Chris Pugh: Can you talk about the difference in music you have created for the Covenant vs the new enemy?

Neil Davidge: How would I put that into words... the Covenant themes are more direct, whereas the [REDACTED] are far more complex themes. With more variation.

Interesting.

Homeboyd

Chris Pugh: Can you talk about the difference in music you have created for the Covenant vs the new enemy?

Neil Davidge: How would I put that into words... the Covenant themes are more direct, whereas the [REDACTED] are far more complex themes. With more variation.

Interesting.
Dammit! When are we going to find out who the damn enemy is?!?!

Sound track sounds great so far. Thanks for the direct download link. I really don't get people harshly comparing Neil's stuff to Marty's at this point though.

First of all, the two of them will always be different composers, with different styles. This music will not be Marty's, whether you think that is a good thing or not.

More importantly though, everyone here has 10 years of history with Marty's music, both in game and alongside other memories. There is no way that the stuff we've heard from Halo 4 can even begin to approach that kind of emotional weight until we all get a chance to play through the game for the first time and have a chance to build new experiences and memories around it.

derFeef

Q: What is your favourite Halo game and soundtrack?
A: I would go back to the first one. It made the biggest impression on me. It was unique both as a game and a score.

Safe answer ;)

Thanks Zeouterlimits for the (live) transcript!

m23

I wouldn't mind not knowing the real enemy until I actually play the game, but I know thats not going to happen. Although I want to know as soon as possible, I just want to experience that moment for the first time when I'm actually playing.

It's nice to know my opinions are provoking you to question things rather than quit out immediately ;)

image.php

Karl2177

Q:
Neil, answer honestly. Have you ever had inappropriate thoughts about Cortana?

Neil Davidge:
ABSOLUTELY. I have been trying to get my GF to dress up in a Cortana suit.
Oh Jesus...

On another note, is there some metric for actually getting your question submitted? I've asked two, and yet stuff like "Frank should be a voice in the game gets on there."

Interesting.

Lol what a tease.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The Fez OT title got an edit: "Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread".

We need that warning on every gaming side Halo thread from now on.

Top Bottom