• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

TheOddOne

Ron Artest elbow spread >
Speaking of Ron Artest, did anybody rock his album?

945469.jpg

Bahhahahahahahha.

Gui_PT

They're pretty good as a distraction - baddies will turn and shoot at them, showing you their backs.

But I get a checkpoint where they're looking directly at me.

So all 8, coming at me in a straight line, 8 shots and they're all dead. 8 shots or 2 grenades.

m23

I really hope this is the year COD falls. I'm tired of that game representing the gaming community, other games should be looked at when describing the industry rather than Call of Duty.

Ah who am I kidding, it'll break records again.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really hope this is the year COD falls. I'm tired of that game representing the gaming community, other games should be looked at when describing the industry rather than Call of Duty.

I'm gonna make the prediction that BO2 sells less than MW3, but still beats Halo. I think it'll be close though.

Really hoping that list of perks is real.

kylej

Banned
As long as we're getting a new trueskill system that is different than Reach, I"m happy.

McQEe.png

Man... that gives me good memories of playing Unlimited Slayer on Rat's Nest, Standoff, Valhalla, etc. So much fun.

halo3_29683253_Full.jpg

halo3_29680293_Full (1).jpg

halo3_29680165_Full.jpg

that's just one of my old group's games lol. I miss good Halo BTB.

heckfu

Banned

I would never wish for a game or any developer to fail, that's a bit much, don't you think?

kylej

Banned

Halo 4 is trying to replicate COD. I'm not being snarky, or trying to troll. That's reality. I mean, if you hope games like COD start to flounder in the market, or if you guys are searching for innovation and a new take on FPS games... that doesn't bode well for Halo 4. Hopefully H4 didn't miss the bandwagon, Halo has spent enough time in declining popularity, and as someone who loves watching competitive Halo, I can kiss those days goodbye if the next game flops.

Part of me thinks traditional Halo is something that would work better now than ever, given that people are getting a little fatigued of leveluplevelupperkperklevelup. We'll see.

Part of me thinks traditional Halo is something that would work better now than ever, given that people are getting a little fatigued of leveluplevelupperkperklevelup. We'll see.
Perhaps, but I think that a fair amount of people are also sick of traditional Halo too, because they've had some close variant of that a lot in the past 8 years.
I think if they brought out "another" game with Halo 2/3 MP people would roll their eyes before they even gave it a chance.

Tawpgun

Halo 4 is trying to replicate COD. I'm not being snarky, or trying to troll. That's reality. I mean, if you hope games like COD start to flounder in the market, or if you guys are searching for innovation and a new take on FPS games... that doesn't bode well for Halo 4. Hopefully H4 didn't miss the bandwagon, Halo has spent enough time in declining popularity, and as someone who loves watching competitive Halo, I can kiss those days goodbye if the next game flops.

The vocal minority (us) is tired of that shit. That's why it seems like every CoD after MW2 was going to fail.

But please, they have that casual crowd by the balls.

Recarpo

If those black ops 2 details are true, that looks like the most frustrating game to play. Shoot enough to kill somebody/one bullet doesn't connect/bad connection, but they fall down and fake death only to shoot you while lying on the ground...

I dunno about all this competitive Halo is dead crap. Sure it might not get funding from some sponsors right now but eventually it'll be back. Remember MLG basically spawned out of peoples basements playing Halo. Maybe it got too big and people lost interest but it'll be back in some form forever til Halo is done and a bit past that.

Perhaps, but I think that a fair amount of people are also sick of traditional Halo too, because they've had some close variant of that a lot in the past 8 years.
I think if they brought out "another" game with Halo 2/3 MP people would roll their eyes before they even gave it a chance.

The question then is, would Halo 4 have gone in the direction it did if CoD 4 didnt come out? I dont think it would have done. I think it would have gone in another potentially more suitable direction. CoD has certainly impacted a lot of games, Halo being one of them, that is unquestionable. Im kind of happy Halo 3 came out before the CoD phenomenon got so big.

I dunno about all this competitive Halo is dead crap. Sure it might not get funding from some sponsors right now but eventually it'll be back. Remember MLG basically spawned out of peoples basements playing Halo. Maybe it got to big and people lost interest but it'll be back in some form forever til Halo is done and a bit past that.

I think that with Reach the game just wasnt enjoyable enough to watch or even play. Hopefully with Halo 4 as long as its entertaining and has a decent skill gap MLG will pick Halo back up.

kylej

Banned
The vocal minority (us) is tired of that shit. That's why it seems like every CoD after MW2 was going to fail.

Maybe. Totally anecdotal, but of the 20 or so people who I played COD with regularly, all moved over to different games after MW3 (well, one died but I think he moved on first), and I vaguely recall reading an article about how MW3 sales aren't matching Blops.

Activision did it to Guitar Hero, they did it to Tony Hawk. I'm very, very curious to see if they'll burn COD out in the same way. I still think the COD arcadey level up stuff is brilliant conceptually but it's very overboard right now.

heckfu

Banned

Indeed. The casuals get off to boasting about their rank which only require you to put in hours. I play COD but never prestige because I honestly don't give a shit about that emblem.

Halo 3 on the other hand hooked me more because the little emblem expressed so much more than just hours grinded. I sincerely hope the next game understands that and implements it along side spartan points (which sounds like the case maybe)

CyReN

I dunno about all this competitive Halo is dead crap. Sure it might not get funding from some sponsors right now but eventually it'll be back. Remember MLG basically spawned out of peoples basements playing Halo. Maybe it got too big and people lost interest but it'll be back in some form forever til Halo is done and a bit past that.

Misconception really.

Halo Reach competitively is dead for live tournaments. Some will spawn at locals and online but I doubt it will be back at MLG this year. Along with that at least 90% of Halo Pros aren't doing anything at all. On the other hand we have a lot of customization and hope for Halo 4 so far, if there's a possibly of spectator mode (I'll pay for it with 343i Pro if they have it) It will be a game changer for tournaments and the competitive scene with today technology (twitch,youtube, etc). Either way my guess is it will be at the opener for 13'.

Halo is not trying to replicate Call of Duty, it is borrowing a few things that series does well.

No not really, it thinks that.

The reason people think CoD is popular:
1. Perks
2. Cool level up systems
3. Guitar riffs and explosions
4. Really quick deaths so anyone can get kills

The reason CoD is actually popular is because
1. 60fps
2. Incredibly responsive controls
3. Great simple fast gunplay

Halo is replicating all the wrong parts...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I hope that sprint crawling perk is real. I just pictured what that might look like in my head and it could be the funniest looking thing ever.

kylej

Banned

1. Perks
2. Cool level up systems

1. 60fps

This dude right here gets it. ^^^

Misconception really.

Halo Reach competitively is dead for live tournaments. Some will spawn at locals and online but I doubt it will be back at MLG this year. Along with that at least 80% of Halo Pros aren't doing anything at all. On the other hand we have a lot of customization and hope for Halo 4 so far. My guess is it will be at the opener for 13'.

I agree, I was going to respond to Bobs with the word misconception. I had a shitload of fun watching the majority of every Reach event. I'm sure they will pick up 4 and hopefully continue with Reach in SOME fashion.

Fracas

#fuckonami

1. Perks
2. Cool level up systems

1. 60fps

I couldn't disagree more. The reason the small but hardcore crowd likes CoD is because of the frame rate, controls, and gunplay. The vast majority of people I know who play the game freak out because of the explosions and guitar music. Call of Duty is their annual game, the only one they buy. Pop in a mic and enter any playlist, outside of objective (where the small but hardcore groups tend to stay), and listen. How many teenagers and kids do you hear ranting "fuck yeah, just shot that pussy ass bitch"? There's no way in hell that kid plays the game because of its frame rate. He plays it because everytime he does something, he feels like a boss because the game plays a guitar riff and things are exploding.

Karl2177

iUeKu5aCLPxvq.jpg

ixmYRv4tH6b4u.jpg

My back. It hurts.

More examples of how population is affecting TrueSkill. I have one good opponent in one game, followed by 3 shitty teammates for both teams.

I agree, I was going to respond to Bobs with the word misconception. I had a shitload of fun watching the majority of every Reach event. I'm sure they will pick up 4 and hopefully continue with Reach in SOME fashion.

This isn't just a personal opinion though, I must admit, I dont know the numbers, and if im wrong it nullify's my entire argument, but I would be willing to bet that entrance tickets and online viewers for the Reach MLG stuff has been significantly lower than with the older games. Which would indicate its less interesting to watch. As long as Halo 4 is interesting to watch and brings in the viewers I would assume MLG would put more into it. It seems to me like with MLG the level of interest dictates the importance a game is given. Reach killed a lot of that interest for me, and im kind of betting im not alone, which is why MLG isnt so hot on it. Is there public information in terms of the numbers and statistics of viewers per event per game? I also wonder if participation has decreased for the Halo events? In terms of how many people attend to play competitively.

To me it seems like the general reaction to Reach is why Halo is less 'popular' hopefully Halo 4 being good will bring people back.

I couldn't disagree more. The reason the small but hardcore crowd likes CoD is because of the frame rate, controls, and gunplay. The vast majority of people I know who play the game freak out because of the explosions and guitar music. Call of Duty is their annual game, the only one they buy. Pop in a mic and enter any playlist, outside of objective (where the small but hardcore groups tend to stay), and listen. How many teenagers and kids do you hear ranting "fuck yeah, just shot that pussy ass bitch"? There's no way in hell that kid plays the game because of its frame rate. He plays it because everytime he does something, he feels like a boss because the game plays a guitar riff and things are exploding.

So yes you are one of the people in the first category. That's fine.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It is very much trying to replicate Call of Duty. Semantically you can call it whatever you want.

Unless you're talking about sales, it's not. The team at 343 did not sit down and say "let's make Halo 4 Call of Duty" they said "what modern shooter elements can we borrow from other games to add into Halo."

People acting like when you put in the Halo 4 disc MW3 will start playing annoys me. Call of Duty has some things that the series does right, why not utilize them.

1. Perks
2. Cool level up systems
5. 60fps
6. Incredibly responsive controls
7. Great simple fast gunplay

1. Perks
2. Cool level up systems
5. 60fps
6. Incredibly responsive controls
7. Great simple fast gunplay

How I see it

Fracas

#fuckonami
So yes you are one of the people in the first category. That's fine.

Didn't really explain myself well, I'm not saying CoD can't be played competitively. It most definitely can. It's just that the vast majority of its playerbase don't wander outside of the TDM playlist, and even when they do go into something like Domination, they don't play the objective and instead go for kills.

edit: haha, think i misunderstood you.
How I see it
I would guess quite a bit of its playerbase doesn't even know what "frames per second" means.

789shadow

Banned

1. Perks
2. Cool level up systems

1. 60fps

This is the fundamental flaw that makes Call of Duty unplayable in multiplayer for me.

Top Bottom