• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Aggrotek

No idea what that is.

Taken from the XBConnect website:

XBConnect was formed in March 2002 by Tod Liverseed. His main goal was to give users a place to meet new people who share a common interest. Since then we have evolved into one of the best known Xbox tunnels available.

XBConnect works by making your Xbox think it is participating in a local area network (LAN). Best part of all, it's completely legal, and completey free to use. Any System Link game for the Xbox console is available to play on XBConnect. Setup is easy; we have a help staff, forums, and help web pages to get you started. So what are you waiting for? Grab your friends and head over to the downloads page and get hooked.

With the release of the Xbox 360 we are pleased to announce we are still going strong. Why pay a fee to enjoy online gaming? Grab your favorite title and join in on the free alternative to online gaming. Backwards compatible games can play with regular xbox consoles on XBConnect as well. Still hooked on Halo2, no need to go back to the original XBox, challenge your opponents on the Xbox 360.

XBConnect also supports the online play of the Sony PSP. If you have not checked out the latest of what Sony has to offer, be sure to get your hands on one of these bad boys.

Edit: is this against the rules to talk about? :x

Karl2177

Just tried to install and play Halo 2 PC.

"Live gaming on Windows failed to initialize"

Fuck.
I had that happen when I went to install it the first time. Basically just kept attempting to install it, and eventually it worked.

nah, i'm no fan of uncaged, but pinnacle is fucking awful in reach - maybe it always was. i think even the community maps in rotation are better then it. well, maybe not eden prime.

The reason it worked in Halo 2 was because of the LoS, Banshee, homing rockets, lack of fall damage, and the range of the BR versus that of the DMR. Plus AAs fucked over part of the map flow and made certain parts accessible that shouldn't have been. I will say that it is better than many of the community maps, but I only can name 3 off the top of my head(Select[good], Eden Minor[shit], Enclosed[shit])

Isn't that just the new Super Slayer vote setup? All 3 are the same map with the 3 diff gametypes to choose between?

Nope. A week or two ago. Even after the changes, it's just going to be ZB guaranteed in the third slot.

LOL you die a lot in military shooters... don't you?

No, I'm pretty good, depending on the game.

It's obviously not as clear cut as what I laid out, but I said it that way to try to more clearly illustrate the differences of ADS in a military/modern shooter as opposed to an arena one.

Same. What we've heard for the pistol so far is so depressingly bad it has to be an elaborate troll or misunderstanding. 6 shot kill? Bloom? 8 bullet clip? Just scrap it already at this point lol. Who is going to use it? Of course, I'm sure the AR is going to be turned into another

Well I'm in the group now that thinks (until we get more/clearer info) that the "bloom" on the DMR and Magnum is just a visual indication of when you can fire again with the fixed rate of fire.

If it is an 8 bullet clip, which I hope there is some way that changes, I also don't believe that it's a 6 shot kill, because that is just silly for lack of better term.

Assuming the Magnum is a secondary weapon for loadouts, I thought a good compromise for the weapon would be the following: 6 shot kill, fires faster than the DMR or BR, but is quite squirmy (significant recoil), and has a 12 bullet clip. I understand the design decision of not giving it 3 kills per clip like the primary rifles, but at least give it 2 kills per clip. I feel that makes the Magnum function differently than the DMR and BR, fills a secondary role well, but is also still very useful. 343 read that, put it in the game, ship it.
It's that simple right? :p

feel

During Halo 2 or the Halo 3 days it would be sacrilege to even mention it, but now I'd say put ADS in Halo, who gives a shit at this point after all the terrible stuff that has been brought over from COD since Reach, one more thing won't make a difference in this mess and it will please a lot of people.

Karl2177

Halo 4 is a Sandbox shooter, not an arena shooter; why are people treating it otherwise?

(Not that I support ADS in Halo though)
I always grouped those two together. It's just a semantics argument anyways; nothing worth arguing about.

No, I'm pretty good, depending on the game.

It's obviously not as clear cut as what I laid out, but I said it that way to try to more clearly illustrate the differences of ADS in a military/modern shooter as opposed to an arena one.

Well I'm in the group now that thinks (until we get more/clearer info) that the "bloom" on the DMR and Magnum is just a visual indication of when you can fire again with the fixed rate of fire.

If it is an 8 bullet clip, which I hope there is some way that changes, I also don't believe that it's a 6 shot kill, because that is just silly for lack of better term.

Assuming the Magnum is a secondary weapon for loadouts, I thought a good compromise for the weapon would be the following: 6 shot kill, fires faster than the DMR or BR, but is quite squirmy (significant recoil), and has a 12 bullet clip. I understand the design decision of not giving it 3 kills per clip like the primary rifles, but at least give it 2 kills per clip. I feel that makes the Magnum function differently than the DMR and BR, fills a secondary role well, but is also still very useful. 343 read that, put it in the game, ship it.
They maybe want to bring it to a sidearm style weapon. It's entirely plausible given our custom loadouts now. If you're balancing a game, one of the worst things you can do is make players press 'Y' at the start of a game, because that shows you've overlooked something in your primary.

Super Slayer is such a joke. Can't say it enough.
That and Arena are the only two playlists I can hop in alone and not rage quit or get donged on.

I always grouped those two together. It's just a semantics argument anyways; nothing worth arguing about.

They maybe want to bring it to a sidearm style weapon. It's entirely plausible given our custom loadouts now. If you're balancing a game, one of the worst things you can do is make players press 'Y' at the start of a game, because that shows you've overlooked something in your primary.

That and Arena are the only two playlists I can hop in alone and not rage quit or get donged on.

I agree. Several sidearm-type weapons, like the pistol, PP, etc. would be actually interesting. Remember, I think a whole lot of people are forgetting about the other weapons that haven't been announced that may or may not be a part of loadout selection.

Aggrotek

My mind immediately went to the FMG9.

I love Uncaged!

Teehee!

*runs away giggling*

R2qFh.gif

kylej

Banned
lol, early signs point to maps being all about atmosphere and not about long term playability. Expect many low grav portions to help Immerse you in Stunning Canonical Visual Clarity.

I agree. Several sidearm-type weapons, like the pistol, PP, etc. would be actually interesting. Remember, I think a whole lot of people are forgetting about the other weapons that haven't been announced that may or may not be a part of loadout selection.

I assume that's what we are getting. From the most recent event, they had the Magnum and Plasma Pistol as secondary starting weapons (of course, that doesn't mean for sure that they will be in the final game, but I'd say it's likely). Based on that information, I made that pistol suggestion in the above post. I feel those attributes make it a fair, but also quite useful secondary weapon.

To me, Arena implies one perfect weapon for each task, with little overlap. Sandbox implies many weapons for a specific task, each with their own pros and cons.

I don't really think of an Arena shooter as having a single weapon for everything, but I'll call Halo a sandbox game if you want.

It may not be the only pistol in the game though.

Different pistols (secondary load out), different attributes perhaps?
I keep forgetting that there will likely be more weapons, including possible pistol variants.

Still don't know how i feel about a 6 shot kill weapon. That's really excessive. What is the drive behind making weapons take more and more shots to kill someone with every new halo game? Halo6: 10 shot kill weapons. BELIEVE!!! It's just getting stupid.

I don't mind making the pistol into something unique that isn't just a clone of the DMR/BR, but it better be useful. And I mean useful as in able to get more than a single kill before your ammo runs out. Also, I don't like the idea of trying to balance weapons from a primary and secondary role. I'd rather all the weapons be thrown on the table and balanced against each other as primary weapons. As soon as I hear secondary role i think, "useless" or not as good.

Like Invasion?

Or, crazier, different maps "phasing" in and out of the match via the Holodeck thing on the Infinity.
Not like invasion. The maps stays the same but the geometry changes. Like for example certain areas become flooded as the game goes on, or the lake dries up and more routes are exposed

789shadow

Banned
Still don't know how i feel about a 6 shot kill weapon. That's really excessive. What is the drive behind making weapons take more and more shots to kill someone with every new halo game? Halo6: 10 shot kill weapons. BELIEVE!!! It's just getting stupid.
I personally think that it's a good think. I think the DMR in Reach kills too quickly. With Reach's slow ass movement speed in there, it makes it nearly impossible to get behind cover when being shot.

kylej

Banned
I mean, I know it's Kyle, but he literally responded to a confirmation of no zero G by stating that meant there would be low g everywhere.

What? My response was to

"Thank god. Let's hope no zero g for all maps"

where's the confirmation of no low grav sections in H4 MP?

Arnie

I mean, I know it's Kyle, but he literally responded to a confirmation of no zero G by stating that meant there would be low g everywhere.

Beneath the facetious remarks there's a genuine point, at least for me and perhaps a few other competitive players about how the maps will hold up after 200 matches, and whether this is a consideration for the artists.

I may sound naive asking that, and perhaps that's just because 343i as yet haven't shipped a Halo game that I can use as a barometer, but it's something that's as important to me as, for example, Firefight is to someone else.

I ain't planning on leaving the Infinity often.

I think the fact that they said the maps are being purpose built for competitive play points to a high likeliness that they are being designed for replay-ability.
They are not limited to the scope of the campaign as Reach was.

Top Bottom