• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

TheOddOne

Elzar picking up chicks.

ipis3O688mRj9.gif

kylej

Banned
So you want every gun to be a pea shooter? Some recoil is fine.

No, I want my aiming ability to determine who wins in a 1v1 battle. I want absolutely no tainting of randomization in any of the precision weapons. Halo 4 takes place in a simulator, with super soldiers holding weapons. There are no canonical or "realistic" reasons for it. Reach already proved that random spawns, and unnecessary variables added to the game do nothing to improve the Halo formula. Now we have killstreaks, perks, random spawns, recoil, it's all superfluous.

Also, if I were a gambling man, I'd bet the AR and vehicle turrets won't have any recoil which'll be an even bigger ballbuster.

You're just trolling now right? Almost all the footage we've seen has shown very little recoil... Some recoil is always necessary on rifles. It looks minimal in the shots we've seen though.

Calm yourself Iago.

Aside from, you know, all the other Halo games.

No, I want my aiming ability to determine who wins in a 1v1 battle. I want absolutely no tainting of randomization in any of the precision weapons. Halo 4 takes place in a simulator, with super soldiers holding weapons.There are no canonical or "realistic" reasons for it. Reach already proved that random spawns, and unnecessary variables added to the game do nothing to improve the Halo formula. Now we have killstreaks, perks, random spawns, recoil, it's all superfluous.

Also, if I were a gambling man, I'd bet the AR and vehicle turrets won't have any recoil which'll be an even bigger ballbuster.

What are you? Some kind of canon nerd? There has always been something about a weapon though. Spread, bloom, recoil, the RoF, charges, bullets in a clip. It's just how games are. The constraints are what make it fun.

You make it sound like you'll be wrestling with a firehose.

I had no trouble at all keeping my reticle on my target a couple of weeks ago.
Who cares what someone who actually played the game thinks? Kyle is on the money, as usual.

But seriously, there are people that want a modern game like CE (I know I would enjoy it), so why doesn't someone just make it?

If all the complaining over the past seven and a half years would have been channelled into something productive, we could all be playing it by now. Shit, we have tools like Kickstarter now, stop setting yourselves up for disappointment and do something about it!

Call it the quintessential Halo-like game from the guys who like Halo.

Trey

I assumed he was joking... as usual.

His point is that aiming should be completely unhindered and be about who can put a reticule to a target faster.

In my opinion that's dry gameplay devoid of any satisfactoy depth, but I agree that any nuances shouldn't be handled by randomization.

I fancy the idea of headshots knocking players out of scope--not just any shot. Also, it can be accompanied by a flash across the tagged players' screen to destabilize aiming somewhat. Gives a reason to take the more difficult shot when in a firefight with someone.

His point is that aiming should be completely unhindered and be about who can put a reticule to a target faster.

In my opinion that's dry gameplay devoid of any satisfactoy depth, but I agree that any nuances shouldn't be handled by randomization.

I fancy the idea of headshots knocking players out of scope--not just any shot. Also, it can be accompanied by a flash across the tagged players' screen to destabilize aiming somewhat. Gives a reason to take the more difficult shot when in a firefight with someone.

And I agree. As I said, the constraints are what make things fun. The less random, the better. Cool ideas too.

Dang namit, the fascinating meme is being run into the ground faster than poor Oonsk.

Hydra - Hearing that the Couch Coop in Minecraft 360 is pretty great. Big praise for that aspect of it on this week's Bombcast.

Trey

An alternative? How about not a flash across your screen that fucks up your aiming?

It doesn't inherently fuck up your aiming, it's just a condition that could possibly throw off your aiming if you can't compensate for it. It incentivizes headshots which up to this point in Halo gameplay only really should be attempted when the target is shieldless or you have a sniper. Gives more risk-reward on play agency (which always widens that oh-so-beloved "skill gap"), gives more impetus on not getting shot, somewhat alleviates people's distaste of getting descoped (especially from automatic weapons), and gives more depth.

All told, it's just an idea to expand the shooting gameplay from simple, mindless, point and squeeze.

Dang namit, the fascinating meme is being run into the ground faster than poor Oonsk.

Hydra - Hearing that the Couch Coop in Minecraft 360 is pretty great. Big praise for that aspect of it on this week's Bombcast.

Hot damn. If HMV only gives store credit and they don't have 3DS cards, I'll get more XBL points.

The UK version of Inside Xbox has just been cancelled, all staff to lose their jobs.

Not cool. :(
I blame Metro.
Had to actively seek out that stuff to find it, when I noticed I hadn't seen it anything. Hidden off in a small corner tab of the UI.

Man, the UI is great on the Phone (and probably similar on a tablet), but it blows on the 360. Destroying the Marketplace.

Shadders

I blame Metro.
Had to actively seek out that stuff to find it, when I noticed I hadn't seen it anything. Hidden off in a small corner tab of the UI.

Man, the UI is great on the Phone (and probably similar on a tablet), but it blows on the 360. Destroying the Marketplace.

I have suspicions that they've made it deliberately hard to navigate to encourage people to use the Kinect voice navigation.

I have suspicions that they've made it deliberately hard to navigate to encourage people to use the Kinect voice navigation.
I think that's paranoia.
Metro wasn't designed with the 360 in mind.
They just did a "put X existing item from the 360 into Y placement on Metro." without any/enough consideration for how it would effect the content or best work on the platform.

If anything the voice commands (and bing) was a way of bandaging the wound as best they felt they could.

No, I want my aiming ability to determine who wins in a 1v1 battle. I want absolutely no tainting of randomization in any of the precision weapons. Halo 4 takes place in a simulator, with super soldiers holding weapons. There are no canonical or "realistic" reasons for it. Reach already proved that random spawns, and unnecessary variables added to the game do nothing to improve the Halo formula. Now we have killstreaks, perks, random spawns, recoil, it's all superfluous.

[7yearold]teehee[/7yearold]

kylej

Banned
It's not random if the gun is raised by the same amount each time it's fired.

It may not be randomization by definition, but it is adding an unnecessary layer to an encounter that muddles with your aiming. Aim should be the only thing that matters in a fight.

Who cares what someone who actually played the game thinks? Kyle is on the money, as usual.

Could you ever actually debate or respond to my points instead of taking pot shots and praying someone quotes you in support? Jesus christ HaloGAF, you don't have to respond to every one of my criticisms or speculative posts by complaining about me. Actually refute what I'm saying if you disagree.

Trey

It may not be randomization by definition, but it is adding an unnecessary layer to an encounter that muddles with your aiming. Aim should be the only thing that matters in a fight.

And when it's as easy and shallow as you described, it leads to a boring game.

This is what I think of all the backlash that Kyle is getting.

He's getting backlash? Let's not drive him away, guys! He doesn't have to post here, there's Waypoint forums.

feel

Do you guys by any chance have PC monitor recommendations? Something IPS with great image quality with as low as possible input lag.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Could you ever actually debate or respond to my points instead of taking pot shots and praying someone quotes you in support? Jesus christ HaloGAF, you don't have to respond to every one of my criticisms or speculative posts by complaining about me. Actually refute what I'm saying if you disagree.

Use the DMR.

You sound really sensitive this morning. You ok?

kylej

Banned
Use the DMR.

You sound really sensitive this morning. You ok?

Not sensitive, just tired of trying to start a discussion about the next Halo or current Halo in a Halo thread, and every reponse is "you are wrong, you hate halo, you are mean, it is fine, tee hee, [animated gif]" and then people move on and start posting more gifs or use the thread as their LiveJournal for the next 8 pages.

It's mind-numbing.

Fuchsdh

Regarding the opinion of someone who's played the fame over your estimation *is* refuting your point. You say it will be horrible, Wu says not in his experience. 'Nuff said.

Hitscan BR with no recoil, that'd be pretty overpowered imo.

Anyway, it didn't look that bad in the few vids we've seen so far, you can always wait for the beta to see how it handles... oh wait!

Not sensitive, just tired of trying to start a discussion about the next Halo or current Halo in a Halo thread, and every reponse is "you are wrong, you hate halo, you are mean, it is fine, tee hee, [animated gif]" and then people move on and start posting more gifs or use the thread as their LiveJournal for the next 8 pages.

It's mind-numbing.
I've got to agree with this. Hell, nigh undeniable.
Regarding the opinion of someone who's played the fame over your estimation *is* refuting your point. You say it will be horrible, Wu says not in his experience. 'Nuff said.
Or he knows that Wu is a very different player to him and is able to account for that somewhat and make a deduction/perspective decision.

Trey

Use the DMR.

Can't wait. I remember hating it in the vidoc. Thought it looked and played corny. Now it's my favorite weapon in the sandbox, and now I can spawn with in whenever I want!*

*after grinding

It's mind-numbing.

Nope.

Although, those still gifs with one or two animated elements need to be destroyed. Y'all can hold that shit.

senador

Banned
Not sensitive, just tired of trying to start a discussion about the next Halo or current Halo in a Halo thread, and every reponse is "you are wrong, you hate halo, you are mean, it is fine, tee hee, [animated gif]"

It's mind-numbing.

You say things like they are fact then wrap them in snide comments. It's hard to discuss things with you with the way you come off. You don't seem open for much and and seem to oniy want things your way. I didn't even know you wanted to discuss anything, just looks like complaining man. ;)

Do you guys by any chance have PC monitor recommendations? Something IPS with great image quality with as low as possible input lag.
Dell U2312HM would fit that criteria, but if you're looking for a 120hz monitor to take advantage of PC framerate, then I'd go with BenQ XL2420T, although it's a TN.

Aim should not be the only thing that matters in a fight.

Positioning, manuverability, gun control, and plain ol intellegence should be the things that matter in a fight.

If aim was the only thing that matters then there will be barely any skill involved. Itll just be a point n click shitfest like those bad sniper browser games online.

This is why games like counter strike and every skill based shooters have recoil to add depth to the complexity of weapon handling.

Recoil in HALO 4 looks to not be over exagerized but to add a little bit of weapon control skill to be learned. Win!

Top Bottom