• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Risen

It may not be randomization by definition, but it is adding an unnecessary layer to an encounter that muddles with your aiming. Aim should be the only thing that matters in a fight.

Speaking in general terms here... but aim is still all that matters in the presence of recoil. Layers of skill are a good thing... they widen a skill gap... Provided it's not random, interactions will be decided by the guy that has better ability under stress rather than who lands first shot. If it's too easy to aim you might as well be arguing for inertia to stay in the game so strafing is irrelevant.

CyReN

Speaking in general terms here... but aim is still all that matters in the presence of recoil. Layers of skill are a good thing... they widen a skill gap... Provided it's not random, interactions will be decided by the guy that has better ability under stress rather than who lands first shot. If it's too easy to aim you might as well be arguing for inertia to stay in the game so strafing is irrelevant.

The only aim thing I'm (and a lot of older competitive players) are concerned about is Aim Acceleration, really hope it's a toggle option or even gone. Recoil not going to be a issue.

Forward Unto Dawn Podcast Episode Five - Poo Monsters and War Games

Dave joins Ben, Dani and Issac to talk about War Games, poo monsters, the Forerunner crystals of Jurassic Park and Promethean midgets.

Link

Available as direct MP3 download, streaming, iTunes or Feedburner. (iTunes will be updated shortly)
Listening. Thanks!

feel

The only aim thing I'm (and a lot of older competitive players) are concerned about is Aim Acceleration, really hope it's a toggle option or even gone. Recoil not going to be a issue.
That toggle makes too much sense, it's easy to implement, would please a lot of people and affect none, don't count on it.

That toggle makes too much sense, it's easy to implement, would please a lot of people and affect none, don't count on it.
It does seem like a good idea, like Smart Casting in League of Legends.
Most people don't use it, requires a lot of skill and dexterity, but can offer lots of earned rewards.

CyReN

So guys, I'm going into self-exile for the next four weeks. Studies call!

Can't wait to see you guys around E3.

Good luck man!

Letters said:
That toggle makes too much sense, it's easy to implement, would please a lot of people and affect none, don't count on it. ]

Anything possible, I never got why they added it in Halo 3/Reach, going back and playing CE/2 you can tell the difference right away. Ironically the issue does enhance "slow turn" controllers too for those familiar with that situation in game.

kylej

Banned
there has never been a Halo game that didn't contain the elements I just mentioned. Never.

SMG had recoil.
Sniper has changed every single game.
DMR has changed between Reach and 4.
BR has changed between 3 and 4.
Rockets used to have lock on.

The recoil you're upset about is trivial. Most people won't even notice it. If you don't like it, try the DMR. If you don't like the DMR, try something else.

DMR and BR have never had recoil. I'm not sure how saying things change has any merit. Change for the Halo franchise these days seems to be almost always go in a direction opposed to the traditional Halo formula that I and many others like. The current crowning achievement of 343 with Reach is implementing no bloom; something that (somewhat) brings the game back to the Halo mp of old.

My point is, I have heard the same exact responses being used before about how things need to be tried and it won't be a big deal and how people need to stop worrying, and then we get Reach and the developers refuse to listen to the community during the beta, the playlist management has been atrocious, etc. Nearly every small piece of news about Halo 4 has been disappointing thus far, while playlist management has been disappointing for about 5 years now. I'd be more apt to believe in positive changes, if I ever saw any ongoing commitment to the exiting franchise outside of $15 DLC, or if I saw anything that looked promising for the future. All I can give is my opinion and what I see, if people disagree with it, so be it.

So to your earlier point about how nobody is prepared to discuss these things with you - what's the point? You literally don't listen anyway.

That's completely false, and as an aside, most people here are too afraid to post anything negative about Halo 4, but I am most certainly not the only one who holds my views.

That's completely false, and as an aside, most people here are too afraid to post anything negative about Halo 4, but I am most certainly not the only one who holds my views.

Why on earth would anybody be 'afraid' to post anything negative about Halo 4?

Oh get the FUCK out of here with this bullshit. How many ribs did you have to remove to slurp your own piece like this?

Jesus Christ

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
DMR and BR have never had recoil. I'm not sure how saying things change has any merit. Change for the Halo franchise these days seems to be almost always go in a direction opposed to the traditional Halo formula that I and many others like. The current crowning achievement of 343 with Reach is implementing no bloom; something that (somewhat) brings the game back to the Halo mp of old.

My point is, I have heard the same exact responses being used before about how things need to be tried and it won't be a big deal and how people need to stop worrying, and then we get Reach and the developers refuse to listen to the community during the beta, the playlist management has been atrocious, etc. Nearly every small piece of news about Halo 4 has been disappointing thus far, while playlist management has been disappointing for about 5 years now. I'd be more apt to believe in positive changes, if I ever saw any ongoing commitment to the exiting franchise outside of $15 DLC, or if I saw anything that looked promising for the future. All I can give is my opinion and what I see, if people disagree with it, so be it.

Kyle, I can understand your arguments (most of the time), the thing that kills it for everyone is that we have literally seen nothing of the final game (might be part of the issue). All we have to go on are a few snippets, gifs, and Wu's (glorious) writings on his playtime. Most of us that you say are "afraid to post anything negative about Halo 4" are not afraid to do so, we just know there is no point on complaining day in and out about that which we do not know.

Yeah, it's on 343 and MS (more MS at this point, as I am certain 343 would release all kinds of info if they could) to get us the multiplayer reveal (E3) and put some of the doubts to rest. The reason you don't see 90% of HaloGaf arguing that Halo 4 is going to suck at this point is that none of us (besides Wu, Frank, David) have even seen the game with our own eyes.

I'd rather save myself the stress of picking apart gifs and being upset for when there is an actual reason (or no reason) to do so.

Sai-kun

Banned

l o fucking l. You can't seriously believe this. There are some folks who will defend everything, but I think Reach and H4 have brought us some of the most negative posting I've seen since I've been here.

GhaleonEB

Yes, HaloGAF is known as a bastion of restraint. There's so many of us just terrified to say bad things, if only we had the courage to speak up.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think we have a good mix of defenders, supporters, skeptics and just down right negative people.

NOKYARD

The couple of times I tried sitting in a spot that was out of the fray, and picking people off from a distance, I used the DMR, not the BR, so I can't really tell you what long-distance spread was like.

How's your shot with the Spartan Laser? Good? Good!

I have a job for you which involves a Spartan Laser, and 343GS in a locked room, if you are interested.

High Speed Halo is announcing Halo 3 Done Segmented tomorrow. Would you be interested in a guest spot where you actually get to shoot something this time?

Shadders

It would be absolutely amazing if Microsoft gave the Reach DLC away for free.
Nah, that $10k they'll get in the next 5 years is way more worth it.

Sorry to drag this up from a few pages back, but this is a fantastic idea! Would really revitalise the player base for the last few months of Reach's life. Would get everyone playing and talking about Halo again in the run-up to Halo 4. It'd also make some of those map-specific achievements doable without boosting.

Make it happen Frankie!

Ultimately the only thing that truly scares me in the game is perks. There are many changes that I am willing to accept(instant respawn in Team slayer) and some that I love(movement acceleration is higher and base movement speed is higher) but perks are the only thing that haven't resonated with me. I think 343i just really needs to show us the perks in action in first person in some vidoc/trailer. That would alleviate most of the fears(and increase them for some but that's always expected)

Even with the recoil, the BR still looks like a peashooter judging from that Conan vid.

Oh, and if there's a legendary edition, I'm not getting it.

senador

Banned
That'd be boring.

If everyone was all super polite, nice, agreeing etc this place would be dry as hell. This is Kyle and he makes this place more fun.

You're right. Everyone should be cynical dicks. ;)

I'm not saying everyone should be super polite and shit. Just be good to each other is all. Jokes are great. Wrapping every damn post in snideness is just lame annoying bullshit. But whatever I guess.

had a good morning of halo, +16 average over 4 games in Super Slayer, including a Sharpshooter. Actually had some decent kids on my team for once

Top Bottom