• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

49 sleeps

WyGLX.gif

Oh god, hopefully its not like the noob/vet commercial that cod had...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
No. But tomorrow, I don't know. Literally no idea what will be on and what won't. I don't control Team CoCo. But I will be watching.

Oh it's tomorrows show? ok. And I hope you're on TV, the gifs will be classic!!!

Also, letters just submitted a HaloGAF Radio logo and holy balls. Everyone who's submitting better step their game up, this is sick! Nice job letters.

feel

^ Really? Thanks! Was a bit rushed and I wasn't really fully feeling it tbh, almost didn't submit.

No. But tomorrow, I don't know. Literally no idea what will be on and what won't. I don't control Team CoCo. But I will be watching.
From 1 to Frankie, how glorious will the gifs be?

Tashi

^ Really? Thanks! Was a bit rushed and I wasn't really fully feeling it tbh, almost didn't submit.

From 1 to Frankie, how glorious will the gifs be?

Nah I love it. It's clean, it's simple and it's recognizable. I'm sure the cover art, like in iTunes or something will just be the right half of the logo. Or actually it might be better off more square? You know what I mean?

FyreWulff

I hate to say it, but simply burst firing a weapon isnt complex, nor does it make people who burst fire skillful, ultimately burst firing is a pretty standard thing. I dont know how you can possibly claim its such a rare unknown concept that only you and three others do it. Sure its a thing, but it doesnt make the AR more tactical and it sure doesn't make it more fun. Its still pretty laughable to watch.

If people are going to be reductive like that, then pacing your shots on a DMR or cancelling recoil in Halo 4 aren't levels of complexity either, because all you're doing is learning to pulse the trigger a certain way or hold the stick slightly down. For something to have a complexity to it, it does not need to be Sistine Chapel levels of depth.

Take note the next time you actually see someone pace their AR or DMR correctly, and watch how many people will actually learn to properly cancel recoil in 4 (because people are going to be bitching about it anyway this time next year).

I didn't say it made the AR more tactical or more fun, either. All I was doing was responding to "make the AR more interesting" is that it already has some interesting-ing qualities to it, and putting them on isn't really going to do much when doing it in existing Halo games goes ignored, especially when the game -never- trains the player for it. Bungie outright mentioned the AR burst fire in the Halo 3 vidoc and people still didn't know burst firing helped you (although not as much as it does in Reach).

Of course, the TU threw that out the window, I don't even bother with the AR anymore in TU playlists, or any other weapons that are no longer relevant in the now broken sandbox unless I'm doing it for laughs. The lack of a ROF cap on the DMR makes it the prime choice in most every situation now, and the zero bloom off crouching is icing on the cake. The 85% magnum takes care of the rest of the situations you might find yourself in. The situation did improve a lot when bleedthrough was removed, at least.

Best we can do now is at least get maps into matchmaking that will improve the experience. That's all I'm focused on doing right now, when I'm not getting buried in mountains of code. It's not like 1.2 is ever going to happen so might as well make the best out of the situation.

ps. 343 really needs to update Firefight already. It's starting to feel like they just lost the keys to Firefight matchmaking or something.

Captain Keyes is dead.

Sergeant Johnson is dead.

Halo 4 needs someone with a cigar...

xOlNM.jpg

"Master Chief's new armor is great...

for me to poop on!"

jNJ1D.jpg

"These nerds are all in line for Halo 4. This is the most sun they've gotten since Mom put new curtains on the basement window."

dpCKN.jpg

"Halo Four? More like Halo - Forever A Virgin!

I keed, I keed!"

Falagard

"Master Chief's new armor is great...

for me to poop on!"

"These nerds are all in line for Halo 4. This is the most sun they've gotten since Mom put new curtains on the basement window."

"Halo Four? More like Halo - Forever A Virgin!

I keed, I keed!"

Haha, that'd be awesome. Except, you know, for Microsoft's marketing team.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For some reason Firefight and co-op lag for me, yet matchmaking is fine. In firefight my spartan feels heavy and there is some bad input lag.

For some reason Firefight and co-op lag for me, yet matchmaking is fine. In firefight my spartan feels heavy and there is some bad input lag.
those use synchronous netcode, matchmaking is asynchronous. Meaning that for coop, if one person lags, everyone lags, whereas matchmaking one person lagging mostly just affects them. The reason for this is that the AI won't work right on asynchronous, I think

Karl2177

That's normal when off-host. Although something I've noticed since the transition is how much better the FF and Campaign connections have been for me. Regular MP and customs have been a bit laggier though. Maybe I'm just imagining things.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Those modes use radically different netcode. You will often see improvements for co-op and Firefight by doing any one of several wireless network tricks:

Change the radio broadcast channel (there's a range in your router)
Plug in directly
Make sure router isn't near a fridge/magnet/subwoofer, etc.

If you have a wired connection, there's not much to be done.

GhaleonEB

Those modes use radically different netcode. You will often see improvements for co-op and Firefight by doing any one of several wireless network tricks:

Plug in directly

My two tips for a better connection in Firefight:

Play Doubles (only one other player to network to)
Select Good Connection as a search preference

95 times out of 100, I get a good connection, if not host. It extend seach times a bit but I've found it well worth the trade off.

I hope Spartan Ops is at least able to make incremental improvement; when Firefight's code worked, it was glorious. At its worse, it is literally unplayable.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Plug in directly

Interesting. Thanks all.

Haven't tried the broadcast channel, but I was on wireless for a while. Ended up plugging in this weekend, same issue. I have decent internet (30 down/5 up) but some people I play with don't have the best. That's probably it.

Too bad, I love firefight but never play it because of the input lag that happens.

That's normal when off-host. Although something I've noticed since the transition is how much better the FF and Campaign connections have been for me. Regular MP and customs have been a bit laggier though. Maybe I'm just imagining things.

those use synchronous netcode, matchmaking is asynchronous. Meaning that for coop, if one person lags, everyone lags, whereas matchmaking one person lagging mostly just affects them. The reason for this is that the AI won't work right on asynchronous, I think

Tashi

My two tips for a better connection in Firefight:

Play Doubles (only one other player to network to)
Select Good Connection as a search preference

95 times out of 100, I get a good connection, if not host. It extend seach times a bit but I've found it well worth the trade off.

I hope Spartan Ops is at least able to make incremental improvement; when Firefight's code worked, it was glorious. At its worse, it is literally unplayable.

I think the whole, "quick matching, good enough quality vs longer waiting and better quality" is kind of ridiculous. I seriously do not mind waiting an extra minute of 2 or even up to 4 or 5 minutes if I know the quality of the match I'm going to play (which is usually 8-15 minutes long) will be of better quality. And by better quality I mean, against a similar sized party, similarly skilled teammates and opponents, and good connection. The benefits of waiting far out weigh the time spent finding the better quality match. Obviously studios are going to push and push to make everything more efficient but there's nothing wrong with waiting a little longer to ensure I have a good experience in matchmaking, consistently.

edit: Oh and twitter is @tashi0106

FyreWulff

Super simplification of the whole concept: You can do AI on asynch, it just can't be as complex or numerous as lockstep. Which is the pitfall.

On asynch, each AI takes up the bandwidth of a normal player. So 4 people playing against 12 AI would be like playing a BTB match (roughly). MS also has bandwidth limits, so you couldn't add much AI.

On lockstep, all you're networking is button presses. So it doesn't matter if you have 4 AI or 30 AI, your bandwidth cost is the same. All that's happening is the lead Xbox is waiting for everyone to send button presses, then it updates the frame. So when you press your button off host, it has to go to the host, to the other players, then back to you. Essentially, your ping is no longer the one between you and the host, but the cumulative ping of all the players together. (By the way, this is how Halo 1 multiplayer was networked. Now imagine playing multiplayer off-host with Anniversary's netcode.) Ghaleon playing in Doubles is a good idea to follow because you've only got the one ping. You go into one 4-man and the guy with 400ms ping is going to shit it up for everyone else.

And there's only so far you can take lockstep because you don't have the benefit of being able to predict what the player might do in the next frame. You can guess in asynch and your next update will fix it if you guessed wrong. If you were to guess wrong in lockstep, then you've just created two realities and everything is very wrong and desynced and bursts into flames.

If people are going to be reductive like that, then pacing your shots on a DMR or cancelling recoil in Halo 4 aren't levels of complexity either, because all you're doing is learning to pulse the trigger a certain way or hold the stick slightly down. For something to have a complexity to it, it does not need to be Sistine Chapel levels of depth.

Take note the next time you actually see someone pace their AR or DMR correctly, and watch how many people will actually learn to properly cancel recoil in 4 (because people are going to be bitching about it anyway this time next year).

I didn't say it made the AR more tactical or more fun, either. All I was doing was responding to "make the AR more interesting" is that it already has some interesting-ing qualities to it, and putting them on isn't really going to do much when doing it in existing Halo games goes ignored, especially when the game -never- trains the player for it. Bungie outright mentioned the AR burst fire in the Halo 3 vidoc and people still didn't know burst firing helped you (although not as much as it does in Reach).

Of course, the TU threw that out the window, I don't even bother with the AR anymore in TU playlists, or any other weapons that are no longer relevant in the now broken sandbox unless I'm doing it for laughs. The lack of a ROF cap on the DMR makes it the prime choice in most every situation now, and the zero bloom off crouching is icing on the cake. The 85% magnum takes care of the rest of the situations you might find yourself in. The situation did improve a lot when bleedthrough was removed, at least.

Best we can do now is at least get maps into matchmaking that will improve the experience. That's all I'm focused on doing right now, when I'm not getting buried in mountains of code. It's not like 1.2 is ever going to happen so might as well make the best out of the situation.

ps. 343 really needs to update Firefight already. It's starting to feel like they just lost the keys to Firefight matchmaking or something.

You cant compare the type of combat that happens with a DMR to the type of combat that happens with a AR even when the thing is on burst fire. I do agree though that burst firing and pacing shots for bloom are equally as simplistic. Things dont need to be complex to be fun, but at the same time a lack of complexity wont make them fun either. Im sure something can be done with the AR to make it fun and or more tactical, burst fire alone isnt it.

Top Bottom