• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Sneaking around for power weapons eh? Sounds a bit familiar to me....

http://i.imgur.com/MrVVd.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]lol I'll also admit that I thought of the Cornucopia when they were talking about the rush to the power weapons.

[quote="kylej, post: 37038513"]Why not just include a soft helmet and a giant inflatable padded room with the Prestige edition of Halo 4 so people don't hurt themselves opening the case if you're really afraid of alienating retards.[/QUOTE]Promoting safety and voting! 343 is truly amazing.

It's an aspect, and one that still requires skill be applied at the movement/encounter level - but if I set up a game where the secondary weapon is Rocket Launcher, unbeknownst to the rest of the team members, guess who usually gets the first kill? Why did I use that example? BECAUSE I OFTEN DO THIS.

No, you are very highly skilled in this instance because you had the devilishly clever idea to hide rockets in everybody's pockets knowing they probably wouldn't realize it right away, and you earned that first strike by skillfully pushing Y and using those rockets to great effect. This is the skill that Halo is all about and I can't believe 343 is catering to bad players.

daedalius

2. Weapon drops can kill you? :/

Can't believe you listed this.

Either you're afk on an ordnance spawn point or retarded, only way you're going to get killed.

Even if the map tells a new player where a weapon is, you should still win because of your superior map knowledge and skill. If you're a better player, you shouldn't be worried about this.

1. One of the reasons for this "random weapon spawn" is to take away the advantage of knowing the layout before the map starts, but honestly, how is that a big problem? Maybe a couple weeks into the game but after that players know the maps. Still not sold on the idea, and what about Needlers and plasma pistols? Where do they fit into everything? Still not sold.
I think that's there more for players like me who don't put a lot of time into versus. I might put a few hours in at release and maybe put in a little time here and there but because I don't consistently play those modes the maps are almost always a new experience, ie. I can't rely upon map knowledge. The new weapon drop system may make things just a little easier for me to get my bearings and start helping the team right away.

I can't believe I'm defending 343 Industries here. People seriously need to step up their critical game. Attack the idea of weapon and ability unlocks, for God's sake.

Or what about complexity of controls? Reach added a button, and now we're going to have sprint and an AA. It's getting crowded...

Ramirez

I ain't eating nothing! I said they won't release on the same day as BLOPS2, learn to read!

Also, I don't care what they say, one weapon will ALWAYS rise to the top. Bloom was introduced to "give weapons a particular role & define range", the DMR is still hands down the best weapon no matter what situation.

If the DMR is like the Reach DMR in terms of range, not a fan. Completely ruined BTB...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
If you haven't listened to the podcast yet.

Watch the RVB videos while listening and it's like Ellis and the gang are talking to each other as Spartans. :O

/nerdmomentoftheday

They describe the assault carbine being a shield mangler, not a head mangler, and that we've seen this type of gun before. Pretty heavily hints at the ODST SMG, I'd say.

Oh, good point, my mind went to Plasma Rifle. I do really hope the AC is a UNSC weapon, the thought of it possibly being a single shot or burst fire weapon that was closer to an AR had me intrigued.

One thing I'm slightly irked that they haven't clarified as of yet is the whole ethos behind Armour Abilities returning.

I remember when Halo 3 was revealed Bungie had a clear ethos with what they expected, and what they wanted to happen with Equipment, and how that would impact the sandbox. It was creative, and they broke it down from a design perspective.

Then with Reach, even though I didn't enjoy them, they again revealed the ethos, the design document if you will on what they interpreted Armour Abilities to be and why they were a good evolution to the idea of equipment.

With Halo 4 it just seems as if 343 are accepting and ignoring any explanation as to their interpretation of the mechanic, as if Bungie's design was nearly perfect and all that needed changing was balancing. Which to me sounds far too simplistic given the huge gameplay ramifications these have. They haven't given any reasoning or insight into their interpretation of Armour Abilities, and why, like they were originally an evolution of equipment, these are a smart evolution of their Reach brethren, which, I think we can almost unanimously conclude weren't great.
AA's are returning because people liked them. Not everybody, but take them away and a lot of people would see it as a backwards move.

I'd prefer something along these lines:

ibppuKHn4vJZlJ.jpg

So amazing, I need to get a hold of that.. Im still amazed my GF got me the MC vs Flood statue from weta this Christmas.. it is awesome. I do hope Halo 4 will get a collectables line, whether from Weta or Sideshow.

Karl2177

Can't believe you listed this.

Either you're afk on an ordnance spawn point or retarded, only way you're going to get killed.

I bet you've never been moving to take out the Wraith on Beachhead, and it drops the Grunt drop pod on top of you. It's a bullshit addition that can only detriment instead of benefit.

zlatko

Banned
I ain't eating nothing! I said they won't release on the same day as BLOPS2, learn to read!

Also, I don't care what they say, one weapon will ALWAYS rise to the top. Bloom was introduced to "give weapons a particular role & define range", the DMR is still hands down the best weapon no matter what situation.

If the DMR is like the Reach DMR in terms of range, not a fan. Completely ruined BTB...

But on the off chance that Blops 2 DID release same day, do you want your two dicks whole and raw, or would you like them minced with ketchup?

Woorloog

Banned
I suppose the podcast didn't talk about vehicles? Can we get something more in line with Halo 3 than Reach? H3 vehicles were a tad too strong but close to perfection otherwise (ODST's were even better to control).

neoism

I can't believe I'm defending 343 Industries here. People seriously need to step up their critical game. Attack the idea of weapon and ability unlocks, for God's sake.

Or what about complexity of controls? Reach added a button, and now we're going to have sprint and an AA. It's getting crowded...

too late

I bet you've never been moving to take out the Wraith on Beachhead, and it drops the Grunt drop pod on top of you. It's a bullshit addition that can only detriment instead of benefit.
I don't see how that's an applicable comparison to this at all. The game is telling you exactly where the weapons drops are and well ahead of time; the only way you're going to die from it is if you're AFK or trying to get yourself killed.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yea, but you saw killstreaks and power weapons in the same sentence and forgot to read the point I was trying to make.
My entire point was that Halo let you spawn on an even playing field at the start of a game.
Your point was that the balance was quickly disrupted by people picking up power weapons.

Deserved a good stare.

Arnie

AA's are returning because people liked them. Not everybody, but take them away and a lot of people would see it as a backwards move.

I've haven't seen that consensus from this thread, nor my friendship group. In fact, the consensus I've seen is that equipment was a far better way of adding variable elements to the Halo sandbox without breaking it, or making it tilt to a certain side. Of course, this is all anecdotal.

Sneaking around for power weapons eh? Sounds a bit familiar to me....

MrVVd.gif

They kind of copied my avatar, wtf! Im suing. Please tell me that wasnt the cover of the books this whole time...

Podcast answered and created new worries and questions, need to see gameplay to really make my mind up, but it feels as though in some cases the design philosophy goes against what I enjoy in games, glorified rock paper scissors isnt my idea of fun, a strong versatile albeit small sandbox is.

Spartan Ops sounds like its going to be awesome.

*sigh*

Surely you can see the difference between a more deeply-developed skill based on experience, (like being able to navigate around a map without looking in the direction you are moving), and a surface-level skill (like "I know where the Rockets spawn on this particular map and they don't--*tee-hee*)?

When I speak of skill, I'm talking about team skill and not individual skill. A lot of teams can't keep track of weapons when they're moving around the map during an intense game and the better team usually has better awareness. And this is at the highest level. I could care less what happens at the lowest level because the majority don't even know the times at that level, thus the traditional weapon drops didn't affect them (if true skill did its job). For example, during Halo 3, Level 40's didn't know the weapon times. How did they get affected by this if the people they were matched up with didn't know either?

But yes I know the difference. An example is the difference between Kobe and MJ. Kobe is seen as the more skilled offensive player (overall arsenal), but MJ was the smarter player and played closer to the basket raising his fg%, which made him a better player than Kobe. Knowledge is different from skill is what you were getting at.

BTW, this isn't that big of a deal. I was just pointing out a smaller aspect I enjoyed from previous Halos.

I'm hyped for the campaign and Spartan Ops like I was hyped for Halo 3.
I'm so-so for the MP because of my experience with Reach. If Reach never happened, I'd be pretty hyped. I do like what they are trying to achieve but it is hard to understand with no real footage. With no real user experience. I hope the best.

Otherwise when does Conan air? Is it okay to stay up for it?

Karl2177

I don't see how that's an applicable comparison to this at all. The game is telling you exactly where the weapons drops are and well ahead of time; the only way you're going to die from it is if you're AFK or trying to get yourself killed.

It doesn't matter if it's telling you or not, it can only be a detriment. What is the real positive to having a drop pod for a weapon compared to simply spawning it midair MLG style?

Woorloog

Banned
It doesn't matter if it's telling you or not, it can only be a detriment. What is the real positive to having a drop pod for a weapon compared to simply spawning it midair MLG style?

It looks damn cool when the weapons are raining down on drop pods. We need to spawn the same way, drop in with an SOIEV.
People do no understand the rule of cool.

EDIT Before anyone gets mad at me, i do not particularly like random events that can kill the player. Have experience in Reach FF...

It looks damn cool when the weapons are raining down on drop pods. We need to spawn the same way, drop in with an SOIEV.
People do no understand the rule of cool.

EDIT Before anyone gets mad at me, i do not particularly like random events that can kill the player. Have experience in Reach FF...

Man that would be awesome. The level in Reach before the go to space, and you see the Elites pods drop in and the doors blow open....man that's an awesome sight every time.

I think that's there more for players like me who don't put a lot of time into versus. I might put a few hours in at release and maybe put in a little time here and there but because I don't consistently play those modes the maps are almost always a new experience, ie. I can't rely upon map knowledge. The new weapon drop system may make things just a little easier for me to get my bearings and start helping the team right away.
The context of your post is a little vague, but I'll go off how I read it. Why cater to players for a gametype they don't normally play? Why should MLG change up what they're about in order to attract a guy like me?

Havok

Not sold on weapon drops or weapons and abilities unlocking through player progression.

Was immediately put off when the removal of "knowledge advantage" was put out there as a good thing. I'm not going to assume anything about the time it takes to unlock something decent, but having to plow through, at best, an hour of games spawning with a shitty starting weapon isn't a good thing no matter how it's spun.

It'll probably be fine, but I'm not loving the messaging that's been going on.

Not sold on weapon drops or weapons and abilities unlocking through player progression.

Was immediately put off when the removal of "knowledge advantage" was put out there as a good thing. I'm not going to assume anything about the time it takes to unlock something decent, but having to plow through, at best, an hour of games spawning with a shitty starting weapon isn't a good thing no matter how it's spun.

Truthfully I don't think I'll be sold on anything 343i is implementing until I have the actual game in my hands. No offense to 343i or anything, but I'm going to be more cautious this time around.

zlatko

Banned
Just called a place called Halo Construction for my job to offer them a free quote for health life and business insurance. They refused.

Guess Chief is already covered and doesn't want to save Spartan Credits. :(

I really like this nerffing on sprint where you slow down when youre getting hit.

It sounds like it will solve a lot of problems we currently have with sprint.

Why cater to players for a gametype they don't normally play?
Simple: To get them to play. More players in the game mode means more players in the hoppers means more potential matches that fit your criteria (connection/skill/social) means more donging. Of course if you can keep them coming back it also means more players who want to keep their copy of the game, their Xbox Live Gold and buy DLC map packs, but I'm sure that's purely coincidental.

It doesn't hurt skilled players but it does help to inform and guide players who don't have as much time invested in the game. Where's the harm?

I like it because its just another HUD element I can incorporate into the game thats in-band.

Top Bottom