• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tashi from 2008 said:
That may be true about the spawns and map control for MLG but in regular slayer, your spawns aren't tied down to a certain base. You can spawn anywhere. Map control is a whole lot harder in Narrows Slayer. And forget about it with AR starts, there are hardly any type of set ups involved.

I also think Narrows is actually a pretty good map. Just not the way Bungie implements it. I'd rather play MLG Slayer/Flag on Narrows than Team BRs on Narrows any day of the week.

About the whole AR vs BR thing...I think BR start with AR secondary is the way to go. I really do. With that start, you are fully equipped to handle almost every situation Halo 3 can throw at you. Now, I love the BR but that doesn't mean I hate the AR. The AR comes in handy in close range situations. There are a lot of situations on a lot of maps where AR beats BR (with competent players) almost all of the time. For example, you have one guy up in one of the purple lifts on Construct with an AR out and the other is lifting up with his BR out. If I'm in the that situation with the AR, I'm winning that fight 10/10 no matter who the hell is coming up that lift. Even if it's juices.

I can deal with some AR starts even though I get really pissed but when ARs on Valhalla comes on ARs on Standoff, I just get so fuckin furious.
Also, the monster satellite dish on Standoff still leaves me in awe whenever I see it. Sooo good looking.

"Even if it's juices" ??? WTF

Jeez I'm embarrassed lol

edit:lol oh shit remember gamevee?

Homeboyd

Pleeeeeeeeease drop some MP/Forge vidocs! Like others mentioned, BTS' are nice but they don't give the kind details we're looking for.

LD2k

Neo Member
Glory days of SMG starts on BTB maps, standbying, cheaters, modders, etc. etc. DEM GLORY DAYZ.

Halo 2 on XBL was a great game, but man, the nostalgia is thick for some of you. :p
It was the most fun I've ever had with the series. Halo 3 was great too - but Halo 2's MP was amazing. Of course the cheaters, SMG starts on BTB's and cheating/modding ruined some of the experience, my Halo 2 career had the biggest smile on my face. Maps, BTB epicness and pacing of matches were the best days in terms of MP for me.

Hell, Reach makes me miss it more than ever; Halo 3 as well.

One too many actions for the amount of triggers and bumpers.
Not enough buttons.

Yes there is. Can't be on face buttons, but you still have the sticks.
RT: shoot
LT: grenade
RB: AA
LB: sprint
left stick: crouch

Then the rest...
A: jump
B: melee
X: reload/pickup
Y: switch weapons
D-pad: switch grenades
right stick: zoom

Definitive control scheme for Halo 4 right there, at least for me. Seriously, can this be in the game?

I've been lurking here since a guy from another forum I posted at and used to play with some on live mentioned it once way back in 06 or 07. His username was prvt pegleg if any of you old timers remember him.

Followup post, I don't even know why nobody cares but I'm tired so I'm typing anyway lol. His username here was HugBasket apparently, dude got permabanned everywhere and I see it happened here too.

Tawpgun

Reach BTB was playable...

Then they brought in Heavies.

Like seriously, wtf is this shit.

My score will be like 30

But I have 18 kills

Get this shit outta here.

out

out

It's the combination of the cross mappin DMR with vehicles made out of paper.

In hindsight, the scoring in Heavies is a bit like the points in Infinity Slayer, as you get bonus points for headshots. It sort of takes the same concepts and drops it into Reach Slayer. (I don't like it either, but that has more to do with Heavies being Heavies.)

Kills X 10 still equals one's score though right? I thought the bonus points for headshots etc. only counted towards your ordnance drop meter?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Then the rest...

Definitive control scheme for Halo 4 right there, at least for me. Seriously, can this be in the game?
I still want a proper BJ (lol), but this would make a fantastic default. Much better than the current default.

Kills X 10 still equals one's score though right? I thought the bonus points for headshots etc. only counted towards your ordnance drop meter?
Yeah, I think you're right.

GhaleonEB

Correct, that is what I was referring to, though I wasn't clear. The general concept of gaining more points for certain types of kills (or actions) is what got dropped into Heavies, though the implementation in Infinity Slayer is different. Just drawing a loose parallel to the idea, rather than the execution.

Homeboyd

What if the phones...rang?
image.php

You. Have. The.

PPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAH!

Anyone with knowledge of the Halo lore: Why are UNSC ships so friggin small?

I mean a Frigate is like over a thousand feet and some change? Really? 500 years in the future and ships are barely larger than an Nimitz class Aircraft carrier? Um...why? Why would you have a ship so friggin small against an an armada of alien ships that completely outclass you in pretty much everyway?

And Covenant ships reach up to 95,000 feet in length?! Jesus H. Christ.

In hindsight, the scoring in Heavies is a bit like the points in Infinity Slayer, as you get bonus points for headshots. It sort of takes the same concepts and drops it into Reach Slayer. (I don't like it either, but that has more to do with Heavies being Heavies.)

Team score in Infinity Slayer is only +10 for a kill, just like regular slayer. Individual and team scoring is separate (yes, just like COD).

^Appears it was already covered.

I still want a proper BJ (lol), but this would make a fantastic default. Much better than the current default.

Yeah, everyone has the actions that they feel are a priority to not be on face buttons, but I really think that is a great one that gets most of the key actions off the face buttons. Given you can't have it all, cause there is simply too many actions in H4, but that would be great for my taste.

MONSTER BALLS: I have marked myself with a scarlet number so that all will know my shame. Our loss was not yours my Ball Brothers, but mine. I shall wear this symbol of my shame until I have cleansed myself of failure, that I may return to be amongst the rest of you already clean Balls.

Edit: I could live with the control scheme that Steely posted as a default, but, like kittens, I still want a functioning BJ scheme.

I mean a Frigate is like over a thousand feet and some change? Really? 500 years in the future and ships are barely larger than an Nimitz class Aircraft carrier? Um...why? Why would you have a ship so friggin small against an an armada of alien ships that completely outclass you in pretty much everyway?

Seems realistic to me. Ships in space are expensive to make and before the covenant war they didn't need things bigger. I believe the much larger halcyon class ships (pillar of autumns class) were discontinued because of their size and cost.

Humanity isn't insecure.

Then the rest...

Oops, I didn't see that melee wasn't on your list of not on face buttons. Melee on RB is perfection.

Oops, I didn't see that melee wasn't on your list of not on face buttons. Melee on RB is perfection.

I agree, but something has to go, and given that I avoid melee like the plague and Halo 4 seems to have a extreme lack of emphasis on it, it seemed better to move it than sprint or AA, which I cannot fathom using on a face button.

This is of course, for my tastes. I think the default (at least how it is in the E3 build) is good with the glaring expect of crouch on B, which is horrifying.

Krispy

As for our match, I'm pretty sure Krispy had to have been dealing with a fair bit of lag as well and he played effectively, so I think connection issues probably evened out, I just couldn't figure out a way to still contribute.

It was surprisingly quite smooth for me. We'll have to play again soon. Hopefully the lag wont be so bad.

To my teammates; sorry about the hearing damage. I have a tendency to be pretty bipolar while playing Halo.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Finally looked at the bizarro control schemes, this is what I'd like personally:

RT: Fire Weapon
LT: Throw Grenade
RB: Melee
LB: Use Armor Ability
Left stick: Movement/Crouch

A: Jump
B: Action/Reload
X: Sprint
Y: Switch Weapons
D-pad: Grenades
Right Stick: Look/Zoom

I wouldn't mind bumper jumper as it is in Reach, but I really prefer melee with LT. Don't know why it bothers me so much, but it bothers me enough that I sacrifice Jump to the A face button using Boxer controls. For Halo4, I do agree with those that think having to click the left stick in to sprint is a really, really horrible idea. I'll get used to it one way or the other, especially if you only have to click once to engage and click once more to disengage, but I'd prefer it somewhere else. In other news, I'm still a halo scrub.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
1. I wonder if the campaign vignette titles will return in Halo 4. I dunno exactly what to call them, but I'm talking about the short phrases that sometimes preface new sections of a mission. They've traditionally been really corny, and while part of me appreciates the humor and fan service, I'd prefer if they weren't there.

2. I'm playing through Halo 2, and The Arbiter + Oracle collectively are one of the best missions in the series. It's awesome in gameplay, level design, pacing, variety, story, atmosphere, setting... everything.

GhaleonEB

They're really fast, which is a good thing, but after watching both gifs for 30 seconds, I'm not sure what's happening in either one.

Ken

They're really fast, which is a good thing, but after watching both gifs for 30 seconds, I'm not sure what's happening in either one.

Gif 1: Snapping neck and arm?
Gif 2: Pulling back and slamming into ground, followed by knife to neck?

Liking the new assassinations but I still hate the way the camera awkwardly returns to first person. I realize it must be pretty hard to make the transition look better given that one has control over the camera during the kill but it's still bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom