• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
War Games is what 343 are calling the versus multiplayer suite. Infinity Slayer is a slayer game-type that includes a personal ordnance system that rewards players with power-ups, weapons, etc. Infinity Slayer doesn't replace more traditional Slayer game-types.

Infinity is also the name of the UNSC ship that War Games takes place on (holodeck).

You lol'd at yourself I'm guessing...
Thank you, sir. If they're gonna have a traditional slayer game mode, they need the power weapons to be static. Like Steely was saying, there is almost no way it's going to feel like traditional slayer. Might as well call it Dumbo Circus. Hedging between two completely different modes like they did in Reach was a failed experiment.

Not really digging that new OST sample from expertzone. Seems kind of generic much like the first song in that waypoint sample video.

I do like the other tracks for the most part. Requiem, the BTS samples, and the second sample in this video.
I can listen to Halo 1-3 just about anywhere anytime. Perhaps having the luxury of experiencing Marty's music in game (as it was meant to be experienced) has allowed his music to transcend the game itself. I really hope that Neil's music is able to accomplish something similar once I experience it in H4.

Not really digging that new OST sample from expertzone. Seems kind of generic much like the first song in that waypoint sample video.

I do like the other tracks for the most part. Requiem, the BTS samples, and the second sample in this video.
I can listen to Halo 1-3 just about anywhere anytime. Perhaps having the luxury of experiencing Marty's music in game (as it was meant to be experienced) has allowed his music to transcend the game itself. I really hope that Neil's music is able to accomplish something similar once I experience it in H4.
I think people sharing too much memories with Martin O'Donnell's work. I love the OST because specific parts remind of stuff I did in the game. If I had not played Halo before I listened to the track, it would have definitely not had the same impact. I would only say it is good and not amazing. The music and its placement I heard in the E3 presentation were magnificent. So I do not have the fear that the OST is going to be too generic. There were already released part which were not. (Art trailer, E3 stuff)

JonCha

Team Computron and my team, the schedule says 9PM is when we're all free. Can you all message me on here or XBLA with a yes or no answer, and I'll send out friend requests once we've locked down a time.

Ideally we can do the match tomorrow night so we can get in some practice, but tonight's also good if that's isn't too short notice.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Team Computron and my team, the schedule says 9PM is when we're all free. Can you all message me on here or XBLA with a yes or no answer, and I'll send out friend requests once we've locked down a time.

Ideally we can do the match tomorrow night so we can get in some practice, but tonight's also good if that's isn't too short notice.

I'd pm them that, thread's hard to keep up with

Hey Monster, are there any teams that are in need of one more person? I can be an alternate if necessary. I work overnight during the week and I'm off on weekends, so my schedule is pretty much open.
Dunno but I think Ram changed to Kylej team, so I need a fourth one! Summer break starts today so I have a lot of time.

TheOddOne

Source: 343 Industries Have Discussed Halo 2 Anniversary
According to a close-to-development source, 343 Industries has indeed discussed a Halo 2 Anniversary, following the success of Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary.

“It’s been talked about, however I’m not will to say anymore at this time,” said our source. This is the same source that told us last June that “unexplained laps in time” would be used to incorporate Halo Reach elements, which it indeed does.

Dunno but I think Ram changed to Kylej team, so I need a fourth one! Summer break starts today so I have a lot of time.
Keep me posted. I don't think I play up to Ram's level, but if you need someone I'm game. Means I need to jump back in and get some practice. I'm gonna be really, really rusty if I don't.
Halo 2 would be an interesting way to launch the Xbox 8 if they keep original multiplayer.
Am disappoint if they do that since Halo2 spent so much time already on live. I'm still waiting for that other Halo game that never had the opportunity to be on live to get a chance.

Am disappoint if they do that since Halo2 spent so much time already on live. I'm still waiting for that other Halo game that never had the opportunity to be on live to get a chance.
Sorry bro, can't have CE with proper online multiplayer. Would've split Reach's userbase! Or it just wasn't in their budget or timeframe. They never really nailed down the exact reason.

Striker

While I loved me some Wizard and Battle Creek (which still wasn't as good as Creek since it used ladders), most of CE's maps are either destined for 2v2 or FFA (Chill Out, Rat Race). Chiron and Derelict were big turd nuggets themselves. You can say the same for Boarding Action.

If they added its PC maps, it would probably get better use.

Halo 2 would be an interesting way to launch the Xbox 8 if they keep original multiplayer.
I'm in firm belief they wouldn't include a MP, at least its own. Maps for H4 or H5 most likely. :\

Nando13

I didn't have an opportunity to play Halo CE or Halo 2 multiplayer and I want to experience calssic Halo. I hope they do.

EagleBurn

Banned
Sorry bro, can't have CE with proper online multiplayer. Would've split Reach's userbase! Or it just wasn't in their budget or timeframe. They never really nailed down the exact reason.

I don't think there was one exact reason, just multiple ones. Not splitting the fanbase and making the Anniversary maps as DLC for Reach seems like a reasonable way of doing it.

Akai__

Have I missed something? What is the Xbox 8? I hope it's not the way there are calling the next Xbox, just because of Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8... Terrible name for the next Xbox.

I don't think there was one exact reason, just multiple ones. Not splitting the fanbase and making the Anniversary maps as DLC for Reach seems like a reasonable way of doing it.
It's a tragedy because while the shiny new visuals were pretty and all, it was the opportunity to do the one thing that a lot of people wanted out of CE from day one of Live. The map pack for Reach might as well not even exist for me, strolled through them in Forge and never touched them again as I haven't played Reach multiplayer in about a year nor do I have any interest in ever touching that part of Reach ever again. You couldn't split me from Reach, I was no longer there.

EagleBurn

Banned
Have I missed something? What is the Xbox 8? I hope it's not the way there are calling the next Xbox, just because of Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8... Terrible name for the next Xbox.

It's not. They're not calling it the 720 either. Those are all just placeholder names we use in the meantime until they announce something.

Infinity Slayer, without question.

That would be unsettling if it does indeed make the top slot. Top slot has always been assigned to the gametype that represents the games core personality. That gametype has always traditionally been Team Slayer. The thing about Infinity Slayer is that it conceptually, in my mind, seems to provide not a lot of incentive for map movement. For example, In Sword Base, a guy camping Red lift with a sword at least has to drop to blue spawn every ten kills to grab a new blade. Now imagine a scenario using Sword Base again but with Infinity Slayer. Two equally matched teams duke it out for the initial skirmish. Red team are up 4-2 after that first battle. Now they set up in potted plant room (adjacent to green lift); the room a team always sets up in when they gain a lead. Currently, Blue team can wait for Grenade Launcher and Sword to spawn and have a go at breaking that set-up; or after a while Red team have to move out of that room to reacquire power weapon control. In 'Infinity Slayer' they have no reason to move; they have the superior set-up, know they don't have to move because they have the lead, and when the other team inevitably become impatient and frustrated and rush, Red team eviscerate them and get rewarded with a power weapon or an overshield which only further reinforces the impregnability of their set-up. This is me imagining a worst case scenario, it might not play out this way at all...

I'd prefer it if the 'random' weapon spawns with waypoint indicators and pre-set drop points was the 'vanilla', top slot gametype. At least with that a team has an incentive for movement and, with both teams knowing when and where thanks to the waypoint, it promotes team battles over the power weapons.

Infinity Slayer empowers the individual more than the traditional TS, and in many ways I agree with that. However for the standard slayer experience I think it's a little too insular for a team game.

Keep me posted. I don't think I play up to Ram's level, but if you need someone I'm game. Means I need to jump back in and get some practice. I'm gonna be really, really rusty if I don't.
I do not care. I am rusty too. Haven't played Reach serious for weeks now. At the end I am just playing for fun in this tournament. So if you want to join, you are welcome. Until Ram says that his team change was a joke.

ive had to bury my bitterness in regard to the decision to remake the campaign and not redo halo1 multiplayer. it's best if i dont talk about it lol.

It's a tragedy because while the shiny new visuals were pretty and all, it was the opportunity to do the one thing that a lot of people wanted out of CE from day one of Live. The map pack for Reach might as well not even exist for me, strolled through them in Forge and never touched them again as I haven't played Reach multiplayer in about a year nor do I have any interest in ever touching that part of Reach ever again. You couldn't split me from Reach, I was no longer there.

Yeah I'm still pretty bitter over that, pretty much a wasted opportunity given its unlikely we will get another halo 1 remake anytime. Playing that game over live was the only reason a remake interested me, like you I don't really play reach mp much, so it would have been nice to have a mp experience to jump into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom