• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Yeah, it will... but isn't the only difference between TS and IS the fact that you may get 2-3 ordnance drops that will last a few seconds here and there?
As well as a point system that is not like traditional TS. Not that it matters because personally I don't think they should bother with 'classic' playlists that will likely not play out like there counterparts and there's no need to dilute the population like Reach does with its variants.

edit: Expanding on this, my point is: Either go all out or don't bother at all.

How are those any different from something like Camo/OS? I think they're pretty slick additions and would've been a perfect addition to move the franchise forward with the classic playlists by having them as pickups.

They would be ok as pick ups but I don't like the idea of them as killstreaks I can see infinity slayer just being a party game mode

Louis Wu

Unless Wu goes Wulf, we will be the only members left in the pack afaik.
Yeah... no.

why_wus_not_a_wolf.jpg

Homeboyd

As well as a point system that is not like traditional TS. Not that it matters because personally I don't think they should bother with 'classic' playlists that will likely not play out like there counterparts and there's no need to dilute the population like Reach does with its variants.
No I agree with you, I was just asking whether or not having to play IS over TS was going to make that big of a difference. The different point system still only counts towards your ordnance drops, right? (i.e. all the extraneous stuff you do like assists, distractions, etc.. that net you points towards your ordnance, don't count toward the game's score). Both TS and IS go to 60 kills now...? I couldn't remember if we've seen a standard TS game, but I'd imagine it will be IS without ordnance, and whether it goes to 50 kills or 60, it will still play exactly like IS without the drops unless there's more to one of these game modes we haven't seen.

And you're right; at this rate, we'd have TS, IS and CS.

Did I miss something? What's CS?

I'm also really curious about the playlists and hope that BTB's focus will shift to more objective-based matches, too.
Wow, I'm really missing those 2-flag CTF matches on Valhalla with friends right now.

FyreWulff

No I agree with you, I was just asking whether or not having to play IS over TS was going to make that big of a difference. The different point system still only counts towards your ordnance drops, right? (i.e. all the extraneous stuff you do like assists, distractions, etc.. that net you points towards your ordnance, don't count toward the game's score). Both TS and IS go to 60 kills now...? I couldn't remember if we've seen a standard TS game, but I'd imagine it will be IS without ordnance, and whether it goes to 50 kills or 60, it will still play exactly like IS without the drops unless there's more to one of these game modes we haven't seen.

Hey Homeboyd, I just thought of a workaround to my hdd-less situation. check ur pms

Tawpgun

Based on the base gameplay we have, a classic playlist seems perfect. No more health, faster movement, BR is back, bleedthrough is back... Seems perfect to me.

Our classic customs in Reach were really fun. The ones that emulated Halo 2/3 not Halo 1.

Akai__

may I ask what makes that download so unique? i understand that you'd prefer iTunes to work, but what's so special about that version, that makes you not listen to the Sparkast until you have downloaded it from iTunes?

Nothing, I'm just not at home and I would like, to download it on my iPhone.

kylej

Banned
Classic TS is dead in the water until 314 shuts me up otherwise.

Infinity will run the show.

343 has learned from their Reach mistakes by hiring a man to run the playlists who took 4 months to remove a fusion coil from Valhalla. Halo 4 matchmaking is going to be a train wreck like all the other games.

So did I miss anything big in the last 2 days?

We had a power shortage in the area where our hotel was that took 9 hours to fix and when I woke up the next day, there were 20 pages to catch up to.

Oh, and happy birthday Heckfu and Zero :)

Chad's a designer now, as far as I know. I don't see how you can conclude that he will manage the playlists...

343 tried to fix Reach. imo it wasn't worth the effort, but I commend them for trying. The TU was a step in the right direction, but it turned Reach MM into a mess of variants and versions.

Halo 4 will be a clean start, and to quote Frankie, "will have focused playlists".
We can only hope.

Swarmerr

Anyone know whats up with halocouncil.com?

I can't seem to connect due to some "service unavailable error" :/

edit: happy birthday heckfu and zerofire!

So I finished the Fiction panel. Frankie was talking a lot about how everything is intertwined and how all the fiction pieces connect with the each other. This leaves me wondering: If the events of Spartan Ops take place about six months after Halo 4, will players need to know those events for what happens in Halo 5?

Probably a question that doesn't need answering, but if 343 is able to realize their vision with SpOps, that's a lot of content to play through and be caught up on. Which probably means the events of SpOps are independent from Halo 5.

Oh my word:

YeMqM.png

Frankie knows the internet:
"Um. I would just like to ask if there was going to be dual wield in Halo 4?"
"Uh. I know people on the internet are now mad at you for asking that question because they feel like you could've asked something else."

I wonder how long, on average, the Halo 4 terminals will be. Comparable in length to the CEA terminals? (Good question about the terminals, monkey).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I finished the Fiction panel. Frankie was talking a lot about how everything is intertwined and how all the fiction pieces connect with the each other. This leaves me wondering: If the events of Spartan Ops take place about six months after Halo 4, will players need to know those events for what happens in Halo 5?

Probably a question that doesn't need answering, but if 343 is able to realize their vision with SpOps, that's a lot of content to play through and be caught up on. Which probably means the events of SpOps are independent from Halo 5.

Oh my word:

YeMqM.png

"Uh. I know people on the internet are now mad at you for asking that question because they feel like you could've asked something else."

I wonder how long, on average, the Halo 4 terminals will be. Comparable in length to the CEA terminals? (Good question about the terminals, monkey).

If you watched the fiction panel your question was answered. Everything works as a stand alone piece.

Halo 5/6 could take place before SpOps, SpOps could be tangential

Oh my word:

YeMqM.png

Heckfu immediately came to mind when I heard that... :lol

If you watched the fiction panel your question was answered. Everything works as a stand alone piece.
That doesn't mean certain elements from SpOps won't play into Halo 5. The same way information from Glasslands (and soon to be The Thursday War), Primoridum and Cryptum, look to play into Halo 4.
Halo 5/6 could take place before SpOps, SpOps could be tangential.
Hm! Good point.

a zoojoo

Banned

Oh my word:

http://i.imgur.com/YeMqM.png[/MG]

I wonder how long, on average, the Halo 4 terminals will be. Comparable in length to the CEA terminals? (Good question about the terminals, monkey).[/QUOTE]

Frankie ruined that kids day. haha
Plywood, check your pms

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That doesn't mean certain elements from SpOps won't play into Halo 5. The same way information from Glasslands (and soon to be The Thursday War), Primoridum and Cryptum, look to play into Halo 4.

Hm! Good point.

They play in, but you don't NEED to play Halo 4 at all to enjoy/understand Halo 5-6 etc. Frankie said as much in that panel.

Overdoziz

Banned
Chad's a designer now, as far as I know. I don't see how you can conclude that he will manage the playlists...

343 tried to fix Reach. imo it wasn't worth the effort, but I commend them for trying. The TU was a step in the right direction, but it turned Reach MM into a mess of variants and versions.

Halo 4 will be a clean start, and to quote Frankie, "will have focused playlists".
We can only hope.
TU (and especially zero bloom) was great but the playlist management in Reach was as terrible as in previous Halos. Whoever thought Super Slayer was a good replacement for Squad Slayer should go back to drawing textures or something.

JonCha

343 has learned from their Reach mistakes by hiring a man to run the playlists who took 4 months to remove a fusion coil from Valhalla. Halo 4 matchmaking is going to be a train wreck like all the other games.

Two things:

is Sketch even doing the playlists? I thought he was in another role.
and if someone is given a brief, they're going to have to stick to it.

L1NETT

Sorry if a tad random, but say the Nextbox launches next year (Autumn) will Halo 4 just be played on that? (assuming it has backwards compatibility)

Two things:

is Sketch even doing the playlists? I thought he was in another role.
and if someone is given a brief, they're going to have to stick to it.
Shishka, Chad Armstrong, I believe you mean.

edit: ninja'd..

edit edit: And to answer your question, we (well, I) don't know. All I know is that he is a designer on Halo 4. He hasn't even posted anything on linkedin

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How cool would it be if waypoint integration allowed a direct download of Halo 4 for owners of the game when the next console releases.

Not gonna happen, but it would be sweet none the less.

Akai__

Sorry if a tad random, but say the Nextbox launches next year (Autumn) will Halo 4 just be played on that? (assuming it has backwards compatibility)

Regarding to the leaked documents it has full backwards compatibility. I really hope they don't change this feature. I would like to play some "oldschool" games in the future sometimes, too.

Striker

Some quick thoughts:

• H2 Vehicle Health Structure, vehicles should not be papier-mâché
  • Better balanced vehicle weapon strength, they should be strong but not overpowered like Banshee, Scorpion and Gauss Hog can be in Reach
  • H2 Style Maps, especially ones that are like Containment and Waterworks where the map is very wide yet you can get to the other base very quickly and there are many avenues to get there.
  • There should also be a fair amount of cover from Point A to Point B unlike in Reach where BTB maps tend to be mostly wide expanses. Under no circumstance should a player be able to shoot someone across the map(base to base.) This would be mostly due to map design not allowing that not necessarily weapon range.
  • Should be mostly Objective and no BTB Snipers/Weapon Specific Gametypes
Lots of this, plus more.

For starters, stop jamming slayer down everybody's throat in BTB. While Reach's Big Team had its share of issues (Bungie's fault in the first place by ignoring BTB maps at launch). But eventually things got cleaned out, and Objectives were a focal point and a heavy dose in the votings. Lots of Assault and CTF with that splash of Territories. So what did 343 do? Put Boneyard/Spire on top of the list so they are appearing ALL the time. Objectives had gone the dodo, it's slayerslayerslayerslayerslayerslayer everywhere, Heavies got introduced for who god knows why. It sucked balls in 3 and it sucks now. Halo 4's BTB game modes should be focused on Flag, Assault (if it's even in the f'n game), Territories (per map basis), and Plots (three designated areas).

They must nail these maps and gametypes. A playlist like this lives and dies off this. Longbow is a nice introduction, but is it set for CTF? Or is it more slayer focused (snore)? A healthy mixture of symmetrical and asymmetrical is a must - both were extremely lacking in both Halo 3 and Reach. At launch I'm very hopeful for at least two symmetrical and one asymmetrical - no mid-sized settings, all large. That would be a tremendous starting point to have at least five or so by the end of 4's tenure.

Vehicle-infantry combat is another. So far I've been underwhelmed by acknowledging that the Spartan Laser is back, and it appears to be vehicle health back as well. Both are a fair detriment to the gameplay. Hopefully power weapons are still set on the map and there's no ordinance drops for players - 16 players is too many for these types of circumstances, i.e. 8 players on a team possibly getting rockets or sniper. Loadouts in this is obviously a big feature. Will the Plasma Pistol be permitted? Is it able to EMP vehicles? If so, dump it. Plasma grenades in loadouts? No thanks. Start players out BR/Carbine/DMR (I'm in the assumption that the DMR won't have the same power it does to vehicles in Reach), frag, and Mag secondary. How 343 plans to limit and structure these AA's and packages are also big. I don't know enough about them or the map design to really get a good idea how balancing can be addressed.

Do you have some sort of program that randomly generates troll posts based on a few buzzwords, or do you seriously waste your time coming up with this shit?

Nutduster

Neo Member

That was 343's mistake. The TU should have applied across the board (like a patch) with ZB the only new variant. I ran into very few people who actually both a) understood the difference between TU and vanilla, and b) felt the vanilla experience was better; and I believe pretty strongly that most people playing vanilla slayer today do so not out of loyalty to vanilla settings, but because it's the playlist called Team Slayer that they've always clicked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom