• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker

Nuh uh. I crowned it the worst map in the game. This is based on the fact I played one sided objective on it a handful of times but slayer a thousand. The forcing of gametypes on maps not intended for it is pre-school MM management, an insult to the playerbase and something that absolutely has to stop for Halo 4.
Out of all the more well known asymmetric maps in the Halo series, I don't think I've played worse spawns in slayer than in that map. I don't know what made that click, but you'll be shooting at enemies in the gate and so often will they spawn in the rocks by the Shotty spawn or on the small cliff near Overshield. Quick grenade to the back and eventually death unless you have equipment to save you.

Like snowbound is a bad map for its own reasons, but like you said, the flow and the design lend themselves to BR battles so well.
What?

Greg Bear books & Terminals.

Im tempted to say that the Greg Bear books at this stage aren't really required, especially considering that the last one comes out after Halo 4, potentially might be better to read a summary than slog through the books themselves. In my opinion they are more off putting than interesting, Terminals would be a good idea to watch through though!

Also I want to jump into Halo 3 with Gaf sometime, hopefully people go on today.

You'll be glad after you watch that movie that you're going into it with low expectations.

100% disagree with this statement.

You know what, im with VHFive, screw you guy. :p

I think I would say that it doesnt quite live up to the highs of The Dark Knight, but thats more because of Heath Ledger, and the types of scenes the Joker got through the film more than anything, I mean little snippets like the pencil magic trick are things only the Joker can really do, and I think its those kinds of things I really loved about the last one. Films still damn good, its just a shame the pacing was off, I know a lot of people lost interest until about halfway through when things finally got good.

Akai__

It is really bugging me that I don't have all the achievements in Halo Wars, ODSt , and Halo 3. If any of you are up to it or need those achievements let me know.

I would be up for it. I'm nearly every day online between 12 am and 9 pm Central European Time. Have to work at night.

If I'm not online, just post here and ask me to get online. I will respond as quick as possible, if I can get online.

Should I bother with the other books or should I just dive into Bears' Forerunner trilogy?

I would recommend all of them apart from The Flood and the Cole protocol. These two don't really add much, even if I liked them.

The books are entertaining.

For me it's a toss up between, Cryptum, Fall of reach and Ghost of Onyx, for best Halo book.

TheOddOne

Dear Plywood,

Wolves suck. And your avatar makes something that already sucks look even worse. I hope you eat a meal before bed and it is absolutely awful, and I hope your sleep is filled with nightmares.

Best Regards,
Ryaaan14
I wake up to this? Why you break my heart, Ryan?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I thoroughly enjoyed it besides the sex scene at the end.
bosom gyrated

Avery entranced

tactical error

he was spent

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

I enjoyed the grunt side of the book.

I would recommend all of them apart from The Flood and the Cole protocol. These two don't really add much, even if I liked them.

The books are entertaining.

For me it's a toss up between, Cryptum, Fall of reach and Ghost of Onyx, for best Halo book.

Fall of Reach is by far the best, it gets to go into the backstory and the Spartan training and generally sets the scene and characterization. The other books dont get to delve into that but they are still good. I think Nylunds novels in general for me are why I love the Halo backstory so much, I dont know how much is him and how much is Bungie but im glad that stuff got put out there.

I think I just dislike the Forerunner saga in general, it seems like Bear deliberately makes it hard to read to try and keep the mystery of the Forerunners going. Reading those books felt like watching a movie whilst trying to hold a conversation, I just have no clue whats going on. I catch glimpses here and there and sort of have a general idea of the larger picture, but the page by page detail is just totally lost on me. It also seems like large chunks of those books are very much filler, it was hard for me to finish Cryptum and Primordium. Considering the next one doesn't come out till after Halo 4, im tempted to say avoid them until then, Halo 4 may make it easier to visualize some of the stuff in the books.

I think Ghosts of Onyx was pretty interesting in terms of how it set up the scene for the next book, something I think Glasslands threw away. :( Nylund should have really followed up the story himself.

Bobs'.

He hates reach.

I don't hate reach though, but bad maps, bloom and more importantly quitters have kept me on H3 recently.

I don't hate Reach, I just think its less fun than repeatedly poking myself with a rusty nail.

Should I bother with the other books or should I just dive into Bears' Forerunner trilogy?
For Halo 4 stuff, Traviss and Bear stuff, but neither are my favourites.

Disappointed with all 3 of the books from the two of them, although Cryptum is the (fairly rough) gem of the bunch.

Out of all the more well known asymmetric maps in the Halo series, I don't think I've played worse spawns in slayer than in that map. I don't know what made that click, but you'll be shooting at enemies in the gate and so often will they spawn in the rocks by the Shotty spawn or on the small cliff near Overshield. Quick grenade to the back and eventually death unless you have equipment to save you.

Someone in Plywood's satirical GAF>internet>GAF thread questioned why Halo didn't ship with more maps to accommodate the vast and varied gametypes the game has. And I agree to an extent. Ten maps is fine if all the maps are stellar and there aren't maps that don't instil dread at the mere prospect of playing them. Unfortunately, Halo history tells us that there inevitably will be poor maps at launch and the only question is: how many will be of questionable quality?

Say three of the ten maps are poor. We have seven maps of decent quality. OK that's far more than Reach but now we have to stretch these seven maps across 4v4 slayer, 5v5 symmetric objective, 5v5 asymmetric objective, 8v8 slayer, 8v8 symmetric objective and 8v8 asymmetric objective. It starts to sound a little threadbare.

Many of these problems can be adequately circumnavigated with the use of the Forge tool set. Really, if you set aside the distracting and wholly false endeavour to push Forge as a mapmaker (which it is quite poor at), you are left with a wonderful and simple function that allows you to hone, refine and adapt pre-existing maps over the years they spend in matchmaking. Bungie started brightly enough when they recognised small things like the Maulers on Guardian being a problem, removing Flares and radar Jammer's and later on they made small adjustments to Narrows (moved rockets, swapped camo for OS, changed the spawns) and The Pit (removed attic spawns).

However, as Forge moved further towards a quasi-mapmaking package, first with Sandbox and then with the bloated and flawed Forge World, the emphasis appeared to shift towards installing user created maps into matchmaking rather than refining the maps that were already there. You can take any map from Reach's opening palette and see problems with it that are fixable with Forge but haven't been. Take Reflection for example. Its initial team spawns and weapon placement are 'fine' for the one-sided objective gametype the map was built around. Problem is, I've played one-sided objective on it less than five times. Its Team Slayer (a gametype in which I have played the map hundreds of times) initial spawns and weapon placement are senseless in comparison; Red team are gifted Rockets directly in front of them, have easier access to the Shotgun and, providing one of them chooses Jetpack, have a better chance of securing the Sniper. That leaves the Sword as the only given for the Blue team off of spawn.

The solution to this is quite simple in a world where Forge exists. You adjust the opening spawns, the weapon placement or both. MLG figured it out with their first attempt at making a Reflection Team Slayer gametype. They spawned Blue and Red opposite each other on the walkways either side of the Rockets. Even with Bungie weapon placements, this simple adjustment to where the teams initially spawn ensures that both have an equal chance at securing rockets and sniper while one is gifted Shotgun and the other the Sword. Simple changes that don't require TU's and expensive man power but just a bit of forging and are to the infinite improvement of the MM experience. And yet very little is done. At best it's thoughtlessness on behalf of the people in charge and at worst rank laziness. This pairing of various different gametypes to the same team spawns and weapon placement across all modes is the equivalent of hosting a marathon on a 100 metre race track; just because they both involve running, doesn't mean it's going to work.

http://i.imgur.com/pIw1E.gif

You guys suck, enjoy your Floaty Bad Netcode Rage Simulator 3 while I frolic in the master playlist that is Team Swat on Reach.

Floaty physics are awesome, Elzars mum proves that.
huh?

Netcode is something I dont understand, maybe a year ago when Reach was in its 'prime', but now the netcode is pretty mediocre on that game, I guess it comes down to who you play with, but for me its been pretty bad for ages.

Swat is OK in Reach, but that's only because its stripped a lot of the crappy stuff Reach has out, im judging Halo based on BR battles, Sniping, BTB, Team Slayer, Objective. Swat is a nice diversion, but isnt Halo.

Ultimately though, Reach isnt a bad game, its just less fun than staring at paint dry.

Akai__

pIw1E.gif

You guys suck, enjoy your Floaty Bad Netcode Rage Simulator 3 while I frolic in the master playlist that is Team Swat on Reach.

I think SWAT is still my most played playlist (working on MLG) and I like it. If only there wasn't the stupid simultaeniously deaths. I hate them. That and the amount of getting killed through a wall. I could make a montage about it...

Still liking SWAT, you can get like 30 kills if you play alone.
but you still lose :p

http://i.imgur.com/pIw1E.gif/IMG]

You guys suck, enjoy your Floaty Bad Netcode Rage Simulator 3 while I frolic in the master playlist that is Team Swat on Reach.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/2010/04/09/slushie.gif

Enjoy your slushie non believer!

Also on Halo's tonight Myyke?

TheOddOne

I think I just dislike the Forerunner saga in general, it seems like Bear deliberately makes it hard to read to try and keep the mystery of the Forerunners going. Reading those books felt like watching a movie whilst trying to hold a conversation, I just have no clue whats going on. I catch glimpses here and there and sort of have a general idea of the larger picture, but the page by page detail is just totally lost on me. It also seems like large chunks of those books are very much filler, it was hard for me to finish Cryptum and Primordium. Considering the next one doesn't come out till after Halo 4, im tempted to say avoid them until then, Halo 4 may make it easier to visualize some of the stuff in the books.

I think Ghosts of Onyx was pretty interesting in terms of how it set up the scene for the next book, something I think Glasslands threw away. :( Nylund should have really followed up the story himself.
This is very valid complaint and totally understandable why somebody would dislike the Forerunner books. It is one of the those books that tells a lot, but actually has very little to say. Not to say it’s a bad thing though, but it’s still in first gear regarding the back fiction – the same gear we have been for years. For new readers it’s kind of understandable or even people who don’t follow the games storylines that it would focus on the basics, but for people who are more invested in it, it just gives too little information on the grander back-story. Or maybe it’s just me.

The Forerunner books have their faults, such as pacing and confusing analogies, but it’s still worthwhile to read them. There is still tons of potential for a very grand story, which is weird to say seeing we are already two books in. From the little mind-blowing stuff we have read in the books, they have all been pretty fascinating and could lead to making the scope and size of the Halo universe larger than ever. It is one of those stories that could either turn out utterly fantastic or we will be scratching our heads at what the hell they were thinking.

No disrespect to Karin Travis, her writing is fine but I would rather read Greg Bear. Even though he keeps us too much in the dark, it’s still more enjoyable to read.

Myyke

Neo Member
I think SWAT is still my most played playlist (working on MLG) and I like it. If only there wasn't the stupid simultaeniously deaths. I hate them. That and the amount of getting killed through a wall. I could make a montage about it...

Still liking SWAT, you can get like 30 kills if you play alone.
but you still lose :p

The only thing I wish they would change to SWAT would be to add Zero Bloom as a voting option. From my experience of Zero Bloom SWAT in customs it does play quite differently and would add a nice bit of variety (SWAT Potato does not count as variety IMO).

Enjoy your slushie non believer!

Also on Halo's tonight Myyke?

When we went to get our cinema snacks before the movie they said that the slushie machine would be ready in about 15 minutes. My girlfriend went back down to check about half way through the movie and they still couldn't sell them. I'm starting to wonder why they even have a slushie machine there at all, since I've only been able to buy a slushie once in the last 5 times I went to the cinema.

I'm just going to smuggle my own slushie in next time.

Also, I should be on tonight.

What?
Was fun in social, rage filled in ranked

m23

Someone asked me the other day which was my favourite Halo book, I said these three books as well.

Primordium was great, learned a lot but for some reason I was much more immersed when reading Cryptum.

I almost refuse to go in solo as of late it just blows my mind how I can get matched up with people who have 10 games or less under their belt at times or have my team be stacked with guests. It's just ridiculous at this point.

(^-^*)/コンチャ!
It was around October of 2008, after a similarly frustrating session of solo Halo 3 that I drew a line in the sand and said no more solo Halo.

Akai__

The only thing I wish they would change to SWAT would be to add Zero Bloom as a voting option. From my experience of Zero Bloom SWAT in customs it does play quite differently and would add a nice bit of variety (SWAT Potato does not count as variety IMO).

Also, I should be on tonight.

Yeah with ZB I probably wouldn't miss that much, cause I tend to spam the trigger if I have a triple kill or a higher multikill. Also, I don't like any objective gametypes in SWAT. It just doesn't fit into that playlist, in my opinion.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Someone asked me the other day which was my favourite Halo book, I said these three books as well.

Primordium was great, learned a lot but for some reason I was much more immersed when reading Cryptum.

Primordium is great only if you judge the last 10% of the book

90% of it was basically just filler

I do not recommend anyone actually read it- it's all walking, talking about usually stuff that doesn't build character or story and constant complaints of "we are hungry"

I felt the same way as the characters... Didn't even get a crumb of story for countless chapters

m23

Primordium is great only if you judge the last 10% of the book

90% of it was basically just filler

I do not recommend anyone actually read it- it's all walking, talking about usually stuff that doesn't build character or story and constant complaints of "we are hungry"

I felt the same way as the characters... Didn't even get a crumb of story for countless chapters

I wouldn't say skip the book, I mean there is a lot of interesting stuff in the book, things that will no doubt play a part in the games as well. It does start slow but even then there are small tidbits of information that are revealed which you may miss if you read fast.

ElRenoRaven

I wouldn't say skip the book, I mean there is a lot of interesting stuff in the book, things that will no doubt play a part in the games as well. It does start slow but even then there are small tidbits of information that are revealed which you may miss if you read fast.

If by start slow you mean wastes 3/4ths the book before being worth reading then you'd be right.

I hated Cryptum and Primordium I borrowed from a friend. Needless to say after both of those I'm not even wasting my time on the 3rd. Sad too because before those 2 I had loved every single book for the franchise. Hell even though I thought Karen's book had some issues, namely in regard to treatment of Halsey, I felt it was even a hell of a lot better then either of Bear's books.

Louis Wu

I put in a link to the game. If it even works for anyone else.
No, it doesn't. It wouldn't, even if Waypoint were working correctly, because you neglected to add your gamertag to the URL (as is true for every link I've seen you post). It goes after the 'gamehistory?' and before the '#'... when things are working.

As I mentioned a few nights ago, though, things AREN'T working - and at this point, you cannot view anything except the service record of any player that you're not logged in as.

There are NO game links that work for other players - not even the overall Game History link.

FyreWulff

No, it doesn't. It wouldn't, even if Waypoint were working correctly, because you neglected to add your gamertag to the URL (as is true for every link I've seen you post). It goes after the 'gamehistory?' and before the '#'... when things are working.

As I mentioned a few nights ago, though, things AREN'T working - and at this point, you cannot view anything except the service record of any player that you're not logged in as.

There are NO game links that work for other players - not even the overall Game History link.

I have to manually fix the links with my gamertag? Didn't even know that. Bungie.net just used it as extra information for links.

edit:

Aaaand I'm alive! Might play some Halo later, depends if Krow is gonna stop playing Body Harvest on the N64. He bought it at a con yesterday for cheap.

At the same con, there was a Halo tournament. Krow, Gazzawa, myself and a friend. It was Team Slayer Pro and 3 rounds to progress. We beat the first team by a hilarious amount. I mean, because it was st to 3 rounds, we had to play Asylum again straight after the first round (switching sides and team colours too). I think the score after the second round was 100 - 9. At one point in the first round it was 20 - -1. They deemed us the winner then rather than put the other team through anoter round.

I had to back out after feeling unwell (got really sunburned yesterday and was pretty dehydrated) but Krow and co later went on to win the tournament. Fun times.

Well I think it comes down to - why are you interested in the books?

1) If its to try and grab tidbits which may hint towards Halo 4, those tidbits are pretty hard to find and are pretty far and between, it would be a lot easier to just read the Cliff Notes, people on Forward Unto Dawn have probably analysed the books already. Trying to analyse them yourself is probably not worth it considering the payout. Unless of course, you enjoy doing that kind of analysis for yourself, which is pretty much the only outcome I would suggest anyone reads the books.

2) If its just for the general Forerunner ethos and to read more about the Halo Universe in general, in my opinion the books do a bad job at this. I dont know if/ dont think Greg Bear is a bad writer, but I do think he deliberately kept the books as convulated and hard to read as possible in order to keep the mystery alive, then again I don't read hard sci-fi and it might just be him following the staples of the genre? Either way this was the aspect I was most dissapointed about.

3) If its just to read for enjoyment, these novels aren't exactly entertaining reads, I think thats a pretty big problem with them, nothing clever really happens, nothing entertaining, sometimes things get quite dark and perilous, but the way the story handles these moments doesn't really lead to interesting outcomes, in my opinion.

I think Greg Bear has probably influenced Halo in a pretty great way, but I personally wouldn't want to re-read the books lol.

Aaaand I'm alive! Might play some Halo later, depends if Krow is gonna stop playing Body Harvest on the N64. He bought it at a con yesterday for cheap.

At the same con, there was a Halo tournament. Krow, Gazzawa, myself and a friend. It was Team Slayer Pro and 3 rounds to progress. We beat the first team by a hilarious amount. I mean, because it was st to 3 rounds, we had to play Asylum again straight after the first round (switching sides and team colours too). I think the score after the second round was 100 - 9. At one point in the first round it was 20 - -1. They deemed us the winner then rather than put the other team through anoter round.

I had to back out after feeling unwell (got really sunburned yesterday and was pretty dehydrated) but Krow and co later went on to win the tournament. Fun times.

aww yeah.

Probably my favorite pre-rockstar game.

Who said that Guilty Spark's line "Curious indeed! [...]" backs his theory that the Didact is the geas of the Chief? I am allowed to laugh? The curious indeed refers to the whole human history, Guilty Spark learns about the first time.

kylej

Banned
Someone in Plywood's satirical GAF>internet>GAF thread questioned why Halo didn't ship with more maps to accommodate the vast and varied gametypes the game has. And I agree to an extent. Ten maps is fine if all the maps are stellar and there aren't maps that don't instil dread at the mere prospect of playing them. Unfortunately, Halo history tells us that there inevitably will be poor maps at launch and the only question is: how many will be of questionable quality?

Say three of the ten maps are poor. We have seven maps of decent quality. OK that's far more than Reach but now we have to stretch these seven maps across 4v4 slayer, 5v5 symmetric objective, 5v5 asymmetric objective, 8v8 slayer, 8v8 symmetric objective and 8v8 asymmetric objective. It starts to sound a little threadbare.

Let's not forget that each map in Halo 4 was apparently designed for a specific gametype rather than making simple structures that work for many.

I still don't have a real clue what the big revelations were in Primordium. The book seemed to be leading up to some massive bombshells and then fucking nothing happened.

Fuchsdh

It's not that bad. Staten's a great writer, and it's the first one you should read if you're going chronologically.

In terms of overall quality, Contact Harvest is the best Halo book, hands-down. It's just a shame he ended it with that cringe-inducing sex scene (and that was after he went on the Bungie podcast to talk about how he wanted to avoid cliches...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom