• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

"We are releasing a number of new modes, but there will be no Invasion." - Josh Holmes Twitter

Nooooooooooo. Sad face...

I guess I'm the only one who liked Invasion. :(

I had a lot of fun with friends in that.

ElRenoRaven

"We are releasing a number of new modes, but there will be no Invasion." - Josh Holmes Twitter

Nope I loved it too. It will be missed.

It's really going to come down to functionality and ease of use. Something that of course, we will have to use to test.[/QUOTEIt's ]extremely easy to use. Theirs not much more it can tell you, besides needing to drop 20 pounds.

Tunavi hit the Tashi ceiling tonight.

GhaleonEB

cant decide

this:
412baREwWrL.jpg

or this:
41rUHVKgeHL.jpg
I went with the blue, red just doesn't go well with my pasty white flesh.

Forge Breakdown by APK.

-$1,000,000 budget: Halo 4's Forge features 10x as much budget. Although the budget it "larger" numerically, the significance of this numerical increase is dependent on the scaling of how much the pieces cost.

-3 Forge Environments: Halo 4 will ship with three unique Forge environments, one of which appears to be a Forge World successor, which features the same pallet but with remastered and updated textures.

-Object Highlighting - Now when you place your Monitor's reticule over a group of pieces, Forge will highlight the piece you are hovering over in green and display the name of the piece, which is an attempt to address the issue of not knowing which piece you are grabbing before you actually do so.

-Piece-locking: Forgers now have the option to lock pieces in place, preventing them from being moved or deleted until unlocked.

-"Duplicate Object" feature: Forgers can now duplicate pieces without scrolling through the object menus to spawn the same object.

-Object-magnetism: Forgers now have the option to turn on Object magnetism, which gives Forge pieces magnetic properties in order to allow Forgers to "snap" pieces to each other with more ease and precision.

-Dynamic Lighting remastering: Objects are more responsive to the dynamic lighting of the base map, while also having the pieces themselves cast shadows.

-Player Trait Zones: Forgers can now place up to four "Player Trait Zones", which allow Forgers to essentially create a new setting set that will affect players within the zones. This feature has infinite possibilities, including the ability to create a low-gravity zone or an invincibility zone.

I'm still catching up - and probably will never catch up - but this sounds good. They're clearly working within the framework of Reach's Forge, and that's not a bad thing so long as some critical additions and updates are made. From this list, the ability to group and snap pieces together is simply enormous - editing maps will become dramatically easier as large sections can be fused and moved.

Between that and dynamic lighting, the tool got a huge upgrade.

Next on my wish list: performance checker and terrain objects (hills, etc. to build non-flat space with).

Overdoziz

Banned
Whoever is complaining about the H4 UI doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about. It's great; a natural evolution of what's come before.
From seeing active roster all the time to having to press X to see it.

Evolution.

From being able to see all players in the lobby easily to having to tilt your head to even read the names properly.

Evolution.

Half the screen is filled with the players in the lobby with the names displayed side-ways. Not exactly efficient or useful. Also, I honestly couldn't give a shit about how people's spartan's look like, there's no need to show it right away. You could easily display it one menu deep.
And then there's the top half of the screen that's filled with four buttons. FOUR BUTTONS FILL HALF THE SCREEN. I don't even know what to say about that.
From this list, the ability to group and snap pieces together is simply enormous - editing maps will become dramatically easier as large sections can be fused and moved.
Is this the case? From what I've seen they only snap together easily, didn't see anything about being able to actually move objects as a group.
I hear you on this but I would add a caveat. If forge in Reach (let alone forge in H4) had no framerate issues and you could literally build whatever you want, allowing for budget and object count restraints, the maps you could forge would be so much better and more diverse. Yes, even with all the gray. You could use more objects; you could use aesthetic objects and things with lights on them; you could use COLORED FRIGGIN' LIGHTS. I've made a couple of beautiful maps that I had to abandon due to unsuitable framerate, and I've seen maps from others that were nearly as pretty as on-disc, non-forged maps. But you'll never see a map like that in Reach matchmaking because of performance. It sucks.

So here's to hoping that 343 has somehow fixed that damn framerate nightmare. That, along with a couple of new palettes (and maybe some other unrevealed surprises) would go a long way to making forge maps more tolerable, and not just a repetitive series of coliseum wall boxes with a few ramps and 2x4 blocks in them.
On this note; I'm sad to see the budget return. We should be limited by framerate, not some number. A map using all of its budget doesn't mean it will cause framerate issues, let use add stuff until the framerate goes to shit and from there you can start removing stuff until the framerate is smooth again. Also, I didn't play attention to it in the Forge video but I really don't want a limit on objects in a certain category. A global object limit would be so much better (although still not optimal like I just mentioned) . Being close to finishing map and noticing you only have objects left in categories that are of no use for you is incredibly frustrating and unnecessary.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Good games guys, wife wants to watch a movie so I'm out, sorry about the rustyness. Awesome to get the super jackpot on last game though, haha.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Evolution.

From being able to see all players in the lobby easily to having to tilt your head to even read the names properly.

Evolution.

Half the screen is filled with the players in the lobby with the names displayed side-ways. Not exactly efficient or useful. Also, I honestly couldn't give a shit about how people's spartan's look like, there's no need to show it right away. You could easily display it one menu deep.
And then there's the top half of the screen that's filled with four buttons. FOUR BUTTONS FILL HALF THE SCREEN. I don't even know what to say about that.
Yup.

Edit : And yeah, I hate to back out so early, but I have chronic carpal tunnel and it's been flaring up really bad lately. Hurts (literally) to play.

Havok

I've got about 300 Invasion games on this tag. I liked it quite a bit, especially as a way to play with just one other person in the party.

But nobody was ever willing to support it. The BTB map roster suffered from its inclusion, a full separate player trait class had to be balanced (I wouldn't be surprised if that's why the Plasma Repeater is such a piece of junk--can't give someone who has more health and better agility a gun that's on par with the opponent) and on top of that, they were never even able to mix up the phases enough so that half of them weren't a giant mess. Not even one single loadout was changed from launch to the game's death, even though it was fairly obvious that shotgun and grenade launcher spawns were going to be a problem. Even then, they shoved Invasion Slayer into the playlist when one team has a clear, irrefutable advantage over the other for the first third of the game.

As someone who liked the mode well enough, looking at the problems it caused and the complete unwillingness to support it past adding some passable community maps makes me glad they're making the right decision.

Edit: Over nails the UI criticism there. Saying there's nothing else it can really show you is hilarious considering that there is zero information about the gametype and that you have to pull up a friends list separately. Even then, vertical names are silly and the overlapping card display is radically inferior to the Active Roster vertical expansion model Reach had for showing off player models.

I have a question, is it possible for Forge to have an FPS counter? I think that would be a great feature. Then again, Reach's lag should not return in the first place

Evolution.

Evolution.

And then there's the top half of the screen that's filled with four buttons. FOUR BUTTONS FILL HALF THE SCREEN. I don't even know what to say.
I'll tell you now, it's not the big deal that you're making it out to be. There's nothing that distracts you from playing. I can't be more clear on that without becoming shitty.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
OH YEAH GUYS.

I forgot to mention that my team (Senador / Tawpgun / Loginius / Me) are going up against 789Shadow's team (dunno who that consists of) tomorrow for the tournament. It's scheduled for 4:30 PST / 7:30 EST.

I'll tell you now, it's not the big deal that you're making it out to be. There's nothing that distracts you from playing. I can't be more clear on that without becoming shitty.
He's not talking about the HUD, but the UI. I'm slowly coming to accept and be okay with the mess that is Halo 4's HUD notifications, but the UI/menus are terrible in so many ways. It's not going to break the game obviously, but it's a huge step back from Reach (and 3, and 2).

Always liked to play Invasion but until a few weeks ago, nobody on my friends list wanted to play it.

That said, I can understand why it's gone in Halo 4. Havok explained it very well.

Nutduster

Neo Member
Is this the case? From what I've seen they only snap together easily, didn't see anything about being able to actually move objects as a group.

There was nothing about it in the demo and I don't think APK's recap mentioned it either. This should be considered just a wishlist item for now; magnetism is a separate feature.

On this note; I'm sad to see the budget return. We should be limited by framerate, not some number. A map using all of its budget doesn't mean it will cause framerate issues, let use add stuff until the framerate goes to shit and from there you can start removing stuff until the framerate is smooth again. Also, I didn't play attention to it in the Forge video but I really don't want a limit on objects in a certain category. A global object limit would be so much better (although still not optimal like I just mentioned) . Being close to finishing map and noticing you only have objects left in categories that are of no use for you is incredibly frustrating and unnecessary.

The video doesn't get into object limits at all, I don't think, though something might be revealed if you look closely at the briefly-opened object menus. Personally I'd be fine with it if they just doubled the count on most categories. Sounds like budget will be dramatically higher unless lots of objects cost way more than in the past, so that's hardly a concern - I never maxed budget in all my time forging in Reach, anyway.

Vire

I've got about 300 Invasion games on this tag. I liked it quite a bit, especially as a way to play with just one other person in the party.

But nobody was ever willing to support it. The BTB map roster suffered from its inclusion, a full separate player trait class had to be balanced (I wouldn't be surprised if that's why the Plasma Repeater is such a piece of junk--can't give someone who has more health and better agility a gun that's on par with the opponent) and on top of that, they were never even able to mix up the phases enough so that half of them weren't a giant mess. Not even one single loadout was changed from launch to the game's death, even though it was fairly obvious that shotgun and grenade launcher spawns were going to be a problem. Even then, they shoved Invasion Slayer into the playlist when one team has a clear, irrefutable advantage over the other for the first third of the game.

As someone who liked the mode well enough, looking at the problems it caused and the complete unwillingness to support it past adding some passable community maps makes me glad they're making the right decision.
Who knows, maybe they'll have a reborn Conquest/Invasion type mode that takes the idea to the next level similar to Spartan Ops from Firefight.

One can dream at least. Granted, Invasion wasn't perfect, but I had a damn good time with it, and in the end - that's all that counts.

I would save 2 puppies from an animal shelter if it meant we got a performance meter.

Why are you even in here if you canceled your pre-order?

senador

Banned
Retina display acquired. Thanks for the help guys!

Also is the OP updated with links from today?

Nice! I'll be getting one soon as well. If you upgrade the non-retina to similar specs, it ends up being more than the retina, as well as heavier, fatter, louder, no retina.

Did you compare it to the standard display? was it alot better?

There is no comparison. It's absolutely stunning. Computing over the next few years is going to get awesome with these displays.

Get better between now and 4:30 PST, hah.

Was going to ask, we are for sure on? Everyone knows?

Overdoziz

Banned
There was nothing about it in the demo and I don't think APK's recap mentioned it either. This should be considered just a wishlist item for now; magnetism is a separate feature.

The video doesn't get into object limits at all, I don't think, though something might be revealed if you look closely at the briefly-opened object menus. Personally I'd be fine with it if they just doubled the count on most categories. Sounds like budget will be dramatically higher unless lots of objects cost way more than in the past, so that's hardly a concern - I never maxed budget in all my time forging in Reach, anyway.
I just feel like if I have 10000$ budget I should be able to place 10000$ worth of 2x4 blocks.

Nutduster

Neo Member
I have a question, is it possible for Forge to have an FPS counter? I think that would be a great feature. Then again, Reach's lag should not return in the first place

I'm sure it would be possible and probably easy for 343 to add such a tool, but their incentive is low (most forgers wouldn't use it), and it might even be the opposite of incentive if framerate is even half as problematic in this game as in Reach. They really would shoot themselves in the foot by giving us a utility that shows how bad the performance is - people who previously barely cared about such things would start bitching non-stop, and those of us who were already bitching would blow a gasket.

But your second sentence is the part that needs to be underlined. Framerate should be their primary concern when it comes to forge. And if it wasn't, then I don't know if I'll be doing much forging any more.

Nutduster

Neo Member
I just feel like if I have 10000$ budget I should be able to place 10000$ worth of 2x4 blocks.

You probably would, too. BECAUSE YOUR MAPS ARE BORING GRAY CRAP Y'ALL HA HA

I s'pose I agree, but I feel like if they just increased each category by about double (or in the case of walls, 3-4X) then that's enough for me. I don't really want to play the map made of 500 of the same piece.

I am here currently playing Halo 4 at RTX and I can promise you that Halo 4s movement speed is faster, more crisp, and more responsive than Halo 2 and Halo 3. Its perfect. The aim acceleration has been close to eliminated and you can play much more twitchy looking left and right with ease. This is nothing like the Reach lag when you move left and right. The jump height if way higher than Reach and very similar to H3 but without the floaty feeling of being in the air too long. The DMR can be pulled as fast as you want and you will land all your shots and great distances. I talked to some of the developers on how it just feels like a visual indicator now and does not affect your shot. He gladly told me that its awesome because you can use the weapons how you intend to use them.

This game plays better than anything you could ever imagine. Nothing describes the hands on feel of the game. No video will do justice to these weapons. The wait lines to play the game take close to two hours to either play on Adrift - Regicide (FFA) or Haven - Infinity Slayer (Team Slayer).
The armor ability, specializations, and weapons all pair in so many different ways to allow different styles of play.

If you have any questions you would like me to ask to the team or any questions about the E3 build that we are playing, ask me! They are going to put up LongBow later today or Tomorrow for some Big Team Battle games with vehicles included! I recorded plenty of HD video of the event and will have a video out later this week.
Went 24-11 first game, and 23-9 second game.

tears currently streaming down my face as I shout my praise to the heavens above

Tawpgun

Nice! I'll be getting one soon as well. If you upgrade the non-retina to similar specs, it ends up being more than the retina, as well as heavier, fatter, louder, no retina.

There is no comparison. It's absolutely stunning. Computing over the next few years is going to get awesome with these displays.

Was going to ask, we are for sure on? Everyone knows?

Loginius wildcard.

Next HaloGAF tournament, only HaloGAF classic, people that we play with alot, and regular posters are allowed in.

I hope we'll get an announcement soon about 343 being present at gamescom this year or not. I really want to try out the game and see if it's better than I'm currently expecting, even if I'd be playing with only half the sandbox and against people who probably won't abuse the weapons or AA's.

Please, become shitty
you wouldn't like me when I'm shitty.

There's no way you won't like this game, Tashi. No way.

HL Shield isn't going to be an issue. Not even close to AL. I don't even see the need for Pretnean Vision on the two maps I've played on. Not sure why the MLG guys used it so much, apart from the fact that they thought it was the most powerful AA.

Who knows, maybe they'll have a reborn Conquest/Invasion type mode that takes the idea to the next level similar to Spartan Ops from Firefight.

One can dream at least. Granted, Invasion wasn't perfect, but I had a damn good time with it, and in the end - that's all that counts.
HOPE +10

They said something like scratching that itch about invasion, scratch it damm!

Ramirez

Cyren's impressions sound awesome. Forge was a little lackluster, but really I wouldn't have cared if it didn't return, so whatever.

Overdoziz

Banned
You probably would, too. BECAUSE YOUR MAPS ARE BORING GRAY CRAP Y'ALL HA HA

I s'pose I agree, but I feel like if they just increased each category by about double (or in the case of walls, 3-4X) then that's enough for me. I don't really want to play the map made of 500 of the same piece.
Well of course creating an entire map using hundreds of the same objects probably isn't a good idea but you should have the option to do so. Limiting categories seems like overkill since you're already putting a price on the objects itself.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Loginius wildcard.

Next HaloGAF tournament, only HaloGAF classic, people that we play with alot, and regular posters are allowed in.
I got a hold of Loginius and he confirmed that he's available. I also played with him the other day and he was really nice and held his weight.

But I do kind of agree with you. It's not really a community tournament if half the people playing only post twice a year. Next time we can set some restrictions on that, maybe.

Cyren's impressions sound awesome. Forge was a little lackluster, but really I wouldn't have cared if it didn't return, so whatever.

And Certain Affinity did it right? If so, that's certainly a happy medium. Extended Forge features without draining resources(tm) from 343.

senador

Banned
I asked 789shadow if his team is 100% on board, and he said: "I believe so."

I'm crossing my fingers, heh.

Sweet. I'll be there.

You just get off? Was about to get on. Tweet me or something if you get back on.

Loginius wildcard.

Oh he is? Hope he can make it. Getting the tournament rounds, teams, etc worked out has been a srs bitch. For me it's time of year, I'd be better off in winter, but then it's probably hard for all you guys in school.

The HUD and UIs can be forgotten if the game plays well but the designer in me really fucking despises that UI and I'm going to make that known.

CyReN

That was a THC impressions, but it's finally nice to have a competitive minded player breakdown the game mechanics wise.

I enjoyed the gameplay from earlier also, can't wait to see the other 2 environments or whatnot in 4.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
you wouldn't like me when I'm shitty.

There's no way you won't like this game, Tashi. No way.

HL Shield isn't going to be an issue. Not even close to AL. I don't even see the need for Pretnean Vision on the two maps I've played on. Not sure why the MLG guys used it so much, apart from the fact that they thought it was the most powerful AA.

lol I read that wrong the first time? I was like, "no way I'm going to like it?! wTF?!"

I'm sure I will. My adaption is through the roof.

Save it for HaloGAF Radio this coming week? You and Tunavi?

Blinding

Guess I should start posting more often then.

The only bit of news I was actually pleased with coming from RTX was that weapon lowering would be making a return to online play, and that's just because I started out in the Halo machinima community. Everything about Forge is nice in regards to improvements, but I was hoping they'd turn it into a legit map maker instead of keeping it this crossbred map editor/maker. The menu UI is kinda iffy, I can see how it can work butterly smooth but at the same time information is important, and from the looks we've had of it it's not exactly displaying the most important information efficiently (which I agree Halo 2's UI did best.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom