• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Dani said:
They won't. There isn't any new Armour, no new Armour Abilities, no Rainbow effects, no new Visor colours, no Covie or Flood themed map, no Reach Mythic Map Pack, no five player Firefight.

These are stupid rumours fuelled by stupidity. Why do folks continue to spread so much bullshit without doing some source checking and fact finding.

New Armour is impossible. This has been confirmed by the engine developers at Bungie. This has been independently confirmed by players looking at the game's source code and internal files and how they operate. We know there's an engine level restriction in place and it cannot be overcome without significant changes - its not feasible for a retail game already released.

So Armour, helmets, visor colours, effects will not be happening.

Any significant update to the Reach's engine would require a title update. Not just a small update either, but one hell of an update, probably the same size as the game itself. Additionally, all user created content wouldn't work with this new modified and updated engine. However this is not happening. There is not going to be a title update.

Bungie have confirmed that Reach's future will be decided by playlist updates and other backend support. They are not working on any title update. 343i don't appear to be working on anything Reach related either. The Defiant map pack was made with Certain Affinity, not 343i alone and any significant title update would require much knowledge about the engine and how to update it, something 343i has shown no interest in whatsoever.

The whole Armour bullshit started on a hacking forum (source of stolen Defiant Map packs!). This guy offered no evidence or source. So why would anyone believe him? Why? He claimed that there would be this and that, he claimed there was a 3rd map pack called "Mythic" (haha!) and there would be a title update. Come on. Total bullshit.

So come on. There are no more new maps hidden away. No Covie theme Forgeworld. That particular rumour was started by a single commenter on Youtube. The dude couldn't even speak English properly but many hundreds of silly folks believed him? With no evidence? Here I might have some magic beans to sell you!

One of the new images appears to "confirm" one of the things claimed. Since you should know by now that all the claims are bullshit, then realise that the picture confirms nothing. It can't be a new Armour included in the map pack because it's impossible (well its possible to have new content on the new maps but the same Armour pieces wouldn't work on older maps so it would be pretty pointless).

Stop being such a killjoy, people talking about rumours doesn't mean that they are going to come true. That said why would they release pictures with new armour permutations if its not something they plan on releasing? I don't believe it was just a bit of internal fun and it was accidental that we saw the results of that. I agree 100% about the rest of the rumours though, covie forge world is the stupidest thing I have heard lol.

You keep saying that its impossible but you are really just passing on what Bungie staff have said, you haven't personally looked at the engine so your claims that its 100% impossible to do this stuff makes me laugh. I agree that its slim odds that the guys at 343 have found ways to do things that the Bungie guys haven't, but its a possibility you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss.

Just to clarify... I don't really want new armour DLC but if 343 could do it I would be interested to see what else they could do.

A27_StarWolf said:
Why do people have a problem with bloom? Bloom has been in other halo games, it just got visualized with the reticule, and sure the DMR is a precision and those did not have bloom before, but the CE pistol did, the AR in Halo CE did as well.

Or is it only DMR bloom people care about?

You sir are crazy if you think this is really the case. Sure technically bloom existed in Halo 1, but it existed in a form that literally no one would suffer from it lol. Basically bloom only kicked in if you held the trigger down. Anyone who was playing competitively would have pulsed the trigger... how is holding a trigger down accurate?

Just so its clear, even if you held the trigger down, the bloom was like 0.03% or something, basically you wouldn't notice it unless you were at extreme long range. DMR bloom is a whole nother ballgame - if your honestly telling me bloom doesnt bother you then you missed out on an awesome aspect of the Halo combat from past Halo games.

I should probably have read the last few pages before posting this, but I dont hate bloom because of the fact it sometimes robs me of kills... I hate bloom because of what it has done to the midrange/ shortrange precision weapon gameplay.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
lybertyboy said:
Seriously though, it was our pleasure to have you at the event tonight. Personally, I'd like to have more community involvement at events like this as you are all an important part (if not he most important part) of what we do each and every day.

Really looking forward to you all being able to play these maps for yourselves. In the ramp up to the release of the map pack we'll be showing more about the iterative and design process for these map packs. I hope you will enjoy the maps as much as I already have, and appreciate the hard work that goes into creating something like this.
MS should have an event in NYC, I'd love to go.

Streeeam

Neo Member
Barrow Roll said:
lmao, perfect.

Now I have a Machine Gun
Earn 100 kills with automatic weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking.

I hate this challenge. So much. Ugh.

I don't even use automatic weapons in MM.

DMR, Tank and Banshee. All I need to spawn kill.

Crucio

N-N-NANI? 8 Player Firefight? Cool! Looking forward to hearing the specifics.

@streeeam: Dude, Multi Team is the way to go for those pesky automatic kills.

Gui_PT said:
Sounds good to me.

All this talk about Armor Effects made me wish we had a Frankie Armor Effect. Would definitely buy.
Just use the Pilot helmet, and you're halfway there. All it needs is a pink visor color.

Sibylus

Banned
Hate me all ya want, but I rather like a lot of what Reach did multiplayer-wise. It has scratched itches I never knew I had, and is satisfying in ways Halo 3 and 2 weren't for me.

- Bloom: Expanding reticle or no, I play a fair amount of shooters with inaccurate weapons fire. Precision weaponry will always have its place, but I get bored when it doesn't have any significant drawbacks or is essentially being delivered to players constantly. The DMR strikes a nice balance, I think.

- Armour Abilities: They're fun and make for interesting situations. Yes, even Armour Lock (when not abused/overly frequent).

- Invasion: I love objective rounds being ordered in multiple stages. It works for TF2 (Payload), and it works for Reach. Plus, Spartans vs Elites with unique loadouts is a really refreshing change of pace. It's about time a Halo game had it.

- Level Movement: Sprint, Evade, and especially Jetpack really open up the levels for player movement in ways that previous Halos have lacked.

Spire is pretty one of my favourite levels in the series because of how well it plays with the Jetpack. I probably spend 75% of my time on that tower or making my way there, because it's one of the most enjoyable places for me anywhere in matchmaking. Soaring into action with a jetpack bro or two, doing battle above the map with the other team's squad of like-minded Firebirds, sneaking off the Spire's roof to covertly kill an enemy from behind, and jumping from the edge to make a narrow escape, it's just a place of gameplay nirvana. The multiplayer in the series doesn't have anything quite like it (though the mountains of Paradiso are like it in some ways, I have a lot of fun there too).

- Elite Slayer BTB: On larger maps, it's a real joy. Carnage everywhere, but the vehicles have counters at every turn, and not even Wraiths find storming a base effortless.

- Firefight Limited: Brutal and awesome. The perfect stage for badass heroics.

By many counts, Reach is the most fun I've had with a Halo game. I'd be really bummed to see a lot of what it brought to the table go.

Barrow Roll said:
Well, you can either sit there crying and eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell enough like dog food to make your dog come back -- or you can go out there and buy a new hard drive!
:lol

I like you. You are a good junior.

Blueblur1

Domino Theory said:
Shishka's at 343 Industries.
Awesome! He's a nice guy and i'm happy for him.

I'm also happy for HaloGAF. HaloGAF wouldn't be HaloGAF without people bitching about a known playlist manager! :lol

Botolf said:
:lol

I like you. You are a good junior.
Junior? Who's a junior? :3
We should play sometime. Add me, my GT is the same as my GAF name.

I also just had a pretty boss idea for a new Invasion map/gametype. Combine Generator Defense and Invasion. Just a quick mockup; 2 phases that last longer than your usual Invasion phase. A Spartan base is setup with shield doors blocking access to the inside. Elites must destroy 3 generators to get inside and capture whatever the objective is. 8vs8. It would be so awesome.

Barrow Roll said:

I also just had a pretty boss idea for a new Invasion map/gametype. Combine Generator Defense and Invasion. Just a quick mockup; 2 phases that last longer than your usual Invasion phase. A Spartan base is setup with shield doors blocking access to the inside. Elites must destroy 3 generators to get inside and capture whatever the objective is. 8vs8. It would be so awesome.
Congrats!

I'm working on an invasion map, and hearing that makes me wish we could put down those Generators. :(

Sibylus

Banned
Barrow Roll said:

Oh snap, congrats on the tag upgrade.

My GT is GeneralBotolf (I think). I'm having a hard time remembering at the moment, it's 5:20 in the morning and I'm really tired. Sleep time!

O D I N

Plywood said:
Saturday 8:00 (Or is it 8:30 pm EST?) msg SlightlyLive.

I will try to be there. It depends on what the wife wants to do after work (I'm done at 7 central saturday), so we'll see. I have work early the next morning (6 am. @__@). But I'll check back in here, see what's going on.

Also.

8 player FF??! O___o 4v4 versus? Yes please. <3

You know, if that's true and all.

Botolf said:
Oh snap, congrats on the tag upgrade.

My GT is GeneralBotolf (I think). I'm having a hard time remembering at the moment, it's 5:20 in the morning and I'm really tired. Sleep time!
GeneralBotolf, sir! Friend request sent.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Domino Theory said:
8 player FireFight, actually.

Yeah right dude, we all KNOW that shit isn't happening. NOTHING IS CHANGING!!!

amirite? :p

Domino Theory said:
I was heavily focused playing Gears 3 and suddenly I feel this person do a bearhug on me and Ellis tells me to look up for a quick photo. :D

Man what a fucking INCREDIBLE night. Unbelievable. I'll post impressions and talk about other really cool stuff tomorrow because I just got back from the event and I'm tired.

I'll leave this here for people to speculate, wrongly accuse/blame and bitch, but I'll clarify more tomorrow:

Shishka's at 343 Industries.

Night, dudes!

How did they know it was you? You go to a lot of these things?

A little OT, but if you could pop into the GOW3 GDC thread and share some impressions there that would be kind of you. ;)

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:
MS should have an event in NYC, I'd love to go.

I agree. The east coast gets shafted in terms of the big gaming events. Sure we have PAX East maybe, but everyone knows Pax Prime is a million times better.

I live in the NYC area and I'd love to be able to go to something as big as E3 or Comic Con.

kylej

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you.

As long as he's not near the playlists I'm fine. Sometimes when I'm in the shower I get flashbacks of Smashed ARs and can't do anything the rest of the day. It's debilitating.

O D I N

A27 Tawpgun said:
I agree. The east coast gets shafted in terms of the big gaming events. Sure we have PAX East maybe, but everyone knows Pax Prime is a million times better.

I live in the NYC area and I'd love to be able to go to something as big as E3 or Comic Con.

That's how I feel. :(

I live in Chicago, and I'm not familiar with ANY big gaming events that come anywhere near here. The only cons I'm aware of are Anime Central (obviously not game related) and Wizard World (Comic Con Jr.). I would love a big time gaming event. My wife wouldn't like the price tag, but that's another story.

ElRenoRaven

Well it's good to hear Shishka didn't just disappear for good. That would explain why he's been quiet too. He's probably busy.

And please spare me. At least the east and west coasts get events. Try living in the redneck capital of the world Oklahoma.

O D I N

PsychoRaven said:
Well it's good to hear Shishka didn't just disappear for good. That would explain why he's been quiet too. He's probably busy.

And please spare me. At least the east and west coasts get events. Try living in the redneck capital of the world Oklahoma.

I thought that was Kentucky? :-/ Still see your point. Sorry man.

I think we need a 'Central Coast' event.

Maybe a Bungie Triumphant return to Chicago? One night only?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
O D I N said:
That's how I feel. :(

I live in Chicago, and I'm not familiar with ANY big gaming events that come anywhere near here. The only cons I'm aware of are Anime Central (obviously not game related) and Wizard World (Comic Con Jr.). I would love a big time gaming event. My wife wouldn't like the price tag, but that's another story.
You used to have E3 back when it was part of CES. I saw Cruisn USA there on the Ultra 64.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
vhfive said:
Is 343 gonna be at PAX East?
We don't have a booth or panel, but we'll be at PAX East.

Don't think it's a secret, but there's some sort of tournament featuring the Defiant maps there.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
kylej said:
Interning.

Cereal was sooooo close to going all over my monitor :lol :lol :lol

I live an hour upstate of NYC, that's probably why I didn't go to that huge launch event. I wouldn't have had a train ride back home that late lol

lybertyboy said:

Don't think it's a secret, but there's some sort of tournament featuring the Defiant maps there.
Is 343i gonna be at GamesCom this year again?

I hope that works

At first I was like ... and then I was like ...

yea, that whole thing. Thank god hes not touching playlist management.

Also may I suggest a live updating Active Roster on the side of the Halo Waypoint? Bnet has the friends button you can click and it pops up a window. Thats cool and all, but I feel like a better immersion would be if it was just there with a click of a button and maybe pop ups for online/offline. Like SC2's system.

Botolf said:
Hate me all ya want, but I rather like a lot of what Reach did multiplayer-wise. It has scratched itches I never knew I had, and is satisfying in ways Halo 3 and 2 weren't for me.

- Bloom: Expanding reticle or no, I play a fair amount of shooters with inaccurate weapons fire. Precision weaponry will always have its place, but I get bored when it doesn't have any significant drawbacks or is essentially being delivered to players constantly. The DMR strikes a nice balance, I think.

- Armour Abilities: They're fun and make for interesting situations. Yes, even Armour Lock (when not abused/overly frequent).

- Invasion: I love objective rounds being ordered in multiple stages. It works for TF2 (Payload), and it works for Reach. Plus, Spartans vs Elites with unique loadouts is a really refreshing change of pace. It's about time a Halo game had it.

- Level Movement: Sprint, Evade, and especially Jetpack really open up the levels for player movement in ways that previous Halos have lacked.

Spire is pretty one of my favourite levels in the series because of how well it plays with the Jetpack. I probably spend 75% of my time on that tower or making my way there, because it's one of the most enjoyable places for me anywhere in matchmaking. Soaring into action with a jetpack bro or two, doing battle above the map with the other team's squad of like-minded Firebirds, sneaking off the Spire's roof to covertly kill an enemy from behind, and jumping from the edge to make a narrow escape, it's just a place of gameplay nirvana. The multiplayer in the series doesn't have anything quite like it (though the mountains of Paradiso are like it in some ways, I have a lot of fun there too).

- Elite Slayer BTB: On larger maps, it's a real joy. Carnage everywhere, but the vehicles have counters at every turn, and not even Wraiths find storming a base effortless.

- Firefight Limited: Brutal and awesome. The perfect stage for badass heroics.

By many counts, Reach is the most fun I've had with a Halo game. I'd be really bummed to see a lot of what it brought to the table go.

Pretty much representative of the way I feel about it as well. While Reach isn't perfect by any stretch I still get plenty of enjoyment out the game especially in terms of MM when comparing it to 2 and 3. Much more variety these days and of course AR/pistol starts in Reach are a significant step up from the default settings that we've had to endure in the past.

With that said I'm still hopeful for a patch that would maybe provide everyone with some sort of toggle option for bloom among other things. I'm fully aware that the chances in that regard are very slim but I still hold out hope non the less so that, at the very least, this community would have one less thing to worry about.

quick edit: Pretty much figured that 343 was Shishka's new destination. While the efficiency his playlist management was debatable I think the level of hate has been a tad overboard. Kudos to him.

Dax01 said:
No. Charlotte or Raleigh, North Carolina.
Seconded! I live in Virginia now, but I'm originally from Salisbury (parents still live there) and I went to college in Raleigh.

lybertyboy said:

Awesome. Can't wait.
My first PAX!

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
What is he doing then?
He's also a designer. Not sure if that's what he'll be doing at 343i, but he's designed maps for an XBLA game that Certain Affinity did as well as helped on several aspects of Reach. Playlist management was a small component of his job.

He also happens to be a nice guy and not deserving of all the shit he (still, for some reason) gets here. Personally, I'm quite glad he landed there, both for him and them.

wwm0nkey

Awesome to see Shiska works at 343i. Speaking of which is 343 pretty much taking over Reach support now?

Oh also Frankie for toying with us I now have to troll you if I see you at E3 this year lol

O D I N

OuterWorldVoice said:
You used to have E3 back when it was part of CES. I saw Cruisn USA there on the Ultra 64.

I was probably in the 7th grade at that point. But now I'm really bummed. :(

EDIT: More bummed at the fact that the good stuff was when I was young. Oh well.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
He's also a designer. Not sure if that's what he'll be doing at 343i, but he's designed maps for an XBLA game that Certain Affinity did as well as helped on several aspects of Reach. Playlist management was a small component of his job.

He also happens to be a nice guy and not deserving of all the shit he (still, for some reason) gets here. Personally, I'm quite glad he landed there, both for him and them.
Oh, he deserves it. He's from Alaska. But yeah, he's a great guy, an even better lunch bro, and he will not punch you if you ridicule his enormous cranial structure.

Top Bottom