• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
One of the biggest problems I have is that I suck (I do all right in my low skill bracket) at this game and most, if not all, of the people on my FL are considerably better at the MP aspect of the game. This leads to a couple of problems:

- I get killed a lot by the better players that Truskill matches to the rest of my team
- If I hang back and let the rest of my team 'protect' shitty ole me, I don't contribute much and I feel like a crutch.

I do enjoy playing with friends, and in all honesty I don't really care about k/d stats. I just don't like letting a team of friends down, so I rock solo more often than not. Maybe playing more MP games than Campaign would be the thing to do to get better at the game, idk...
This usually my experience. When I play in a party with GAFers, I usually get destroyed because everyone else is higher skill level than I. I still (usually!) have fun, because playing with friends makes it so. But it's definitely a pro/con situation when partying up for me.

It's one of the reasons I like the wacky/testing side of GAF customs more than the serious games: I get utterly destroyed in the latter. Which is usually okay, but sometimes GAFers take it too seriously. A few weeks ago I overhear, "Someone tell Ghaleon to suck more," mid game, when I was sucking as hard as I possibly could, and that was enough to get me to leave.

FourDoor

CyReN said:
Halo 1 you could.

With the skill gap, powers ups, etc it made it very possible.

Everyone thought they were the best in Halo 1 because it was largely limited to playing with your friends on LAN (minus XBC). Then Halo 2 comes out with XBL support and you're no longer super solo hero but just average so-so Halo player being donged on by kids half your age. LOL

Did the Halo 1 tournaments ever feature any kind of team slayer or objective? All I remember watching were FFA matches.

We should make it our goal to post as many batshit crazy clips so that HaloGAF completely dominates the next IGN Top 10.

Also, the triple kill (#3) and the homicidal ghost (#1) clips were awesome.

Edit: That map below this post looks amazing.

Also, the comment of the final stage being inside the ship reminded me of Zoolander.
Hansel said:
*talking about the files* They're in the computer?

GhaleonEB said:
This usually my experience. When I play in a party with GAFers, I usually get destroyed because everyone else is higher skill level than I. I still (usually!) have fun, because playing with friends makes it so. But it's definitely a pro/con situation when partying up for me.

It's one of the reasons I like the wacky/testing side of GAF customs more than the serious games: I get utterly destroyed in the latter. Which is usually okay, but sometimes GAFers take it too seriously. A few weeks ago I overhear, "Someone tell Ghaleon to suck more," mid game, when I was sucking as hard as I possibly could, and that was enough to get me to leave.
We should play together more (stupid two hour time difference), I'm down for whatever
firefight, lol

Speaking of customs, I feel that this should be played. Looks incredible. Final two stages are inside the ship.

silentbarbmedshot.jpg

reach_10301290_Full.jpg

^Holy Blam! that sounds/looks awesome. I admire forged work and all but it sounds like a sweet Invasion idea for invasion. Anyone down to run a custom of it tonight?

CyReN said:
Halo 1 you could.

With the skill gap, powers ups, etc it made it very possible.

Halo 2 also allowed for that(a lot more than 1 imo)

But the point still stands that in every Halo game even good player can't carry a garbage team fully if they are playing a smartly coordinated team of decent players. If your playing without a Mic or chat sound you might as well just play rumble pit :p.

squidhands said:
We should play together more (stupid two hour time difference), I'm down for whatever
firefight, lol

Speaking of customs, I feel that this should be played. Looks incredible. Final two stages are inside the ship.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m519/JuanezSanchez/silentbarbmedshot.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m519/JuanezSanchez/reach_10301290_Full.jpg

That looks amazing. I'd definitely like to try it.
Hopefully the framerate is okay :p

I might actually make it for GAF customs this weekend, for once I'm not going out of town.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
squidhands said:
firefight, lol

silentbarbmedshot.jpg

reach_10301290_Full.jpg

unf

squidhands said:
firefight, lol

*pictures of huge-ass awesome-looking Covenant ship*
I was gonna post my "Mother of God"-pic or something similar, but since IMGur's being a bitch I'll just say it.

Mother of God.

wwm0nkey

squidhands said:
firefight, lol

Ok this NEEDS to be played during the next customs.

Oozer3993

squidhands said:
firefight, lol

silentbarbmedshot.jpg

reach_10301290_Full.jpg
Great googly moogly. I must play that.

squidhands said:
firefight, lol

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m519/JuanezSanchez/silentbarbmedshot.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m519/JuanezSanchez/reach_10301290_Full.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
I can get behind this.

MrBig

Barrel Cannon said:
How does the GAF customs work? Is it just first come first in basis?

Also speaking of these customs I'll be free within 7 and a half hours.
Dani's GAF customs are usually around 8pm EST on Saturdays.

Louis Wu

CyReN said:
Wait are you the guy from the Making of H2? Woa major props, that's my favorite part of the thing. That got me into lanning with friends and locals.
Awesome. That lan was a LOT of fun - I still remember details fondly, 7 years later. :)

Deputy Moonman said:
I know this. But when it comes to just jumping into games with no friends, I like to do my own thing; and not out of selfishness or anything. It's just that I play better that way. I'll still wear a headset if necessary and talk to the team. I'll still give support to my team and things like that. But I'm a disruptor in games, or a player that initiates things, a flanker, and a rogue. If the rest of my team wants to sit back and snipe or camp with the sword/shotgun, then fine. But I'm gonna get things started. I'm gonna draw people out into the open or get kills the way I get kills, or even be killed. But I play the game to play, not to sit back and eat popcorn.

I'm not talking about flinging myself up against multiple players and being stupid with the decisions I make during a game. I'm just talking about the issues I have when I encounter a player 1v1. That's just as much a part of Halo as teamwork.
I don't know...from here it looks like that's exactly what you are talking about.

MrBig

They're really pushing firefight this week with all these dailies dedicated to it that everyone who wants the weekly will have to get.

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:
I'm currently engaged in a discussion, erm, argument on Optimatch with someone who insists that they should be enabled so he can look badass stabbing people. It's like talking to a robber explaining that that stuff is mine, and he's like, "but I can steal it!".

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=58427742&postRepeater1-p=5#58499125

Though the feedback seems tilted roughly 10:1 in favor of turning assasinations off, so I'm hopeful they will be.

My last game of Hockey was going that way when I dropped it. Not sure I'll be in the playlist again unless I have a full party that can force a different game type, until that gets fixed.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm currently engaged in a discussion, erm, argument on Optimatch with someone who insists that they should be enabled so he can look badass stabbing people. It's like talking to a robber explaining that that stuff is mine, and he's like, "but I can steal it!".

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=58427742&postRepeater1-p=5#58499125

Though the feedback seems tilted roughly 10:1 in favor of turning assasinations off, so I'm hopeful they will be.

My last game of Hockey was going that way when I dropped it. Not sure I'll be in the playlist again unless I have a full party that can force a different game type, until that gets fixed.

Yeah its ridiculous. That game was just in was 1 on 4 for about half the game and they were just trying to surround and assassinate me. I still managed to score on them and keep them from scoring (they weren't really trying to). Also, not a problem with the gametype, but a lot of people don't seem to realize what the AR is for and slam the ball with hammer when im shooting the ball into the goal (same team).

Action Sack has some cool gametypes in it, but it is definitely a playlist where the voting system being a blessing and a curse is in full effect. In two days, I have played almost nothing but Hockey and Haloball. Never would have thought I would need a full team in Action Sack just to play some of the gametypes I want to.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah its ridiculous. That game was just in was 1 on 4 for about half the game and they were just trying to surround and assassinate me. I still managed to score on them and keep them from scoring (they weren't really trying to). Also, not a problem with the gametype, but a lot of people don't seem to realize what the AR is for and slam the ball with hammer when im shooting the ball into the goal (same team).

Action Sack has some cool gametypes in it, but it is definitely a playlist where the voting system being a blessing and a curse is in full effect. In two days, I have played almost nothing but Hockey and Haloball. Never would have thought I would need a full team in Action Sack just to play some of the gametypes I want to.

Really? I've only played two games of hockey, and like 8 of speedflag at this point. I enjoy speedflag, but I go to that playlist to play something distinctly zanier than that.

MrBig said:
They're really pushing firefight this week with all these dailies dedicated to it that everyone who wants the weekly will have to get.
It's pretty easy to get at least 3 in one game, but the way Score Attack is structured it becomes a pain in the ass to get Gruntpocalypse on Glacier.

electricpirate said:
Really? I've only played two games of hockey, and like 8 of speedflag at this point. I enjoy speedflag, but I go to that playlist to play something distinctly zanier than that.

I have yet to play speedflag, I vote for it everytime it comes up.

Kuroyume

Banned
Sounds like what goes on with Multi Team. Go in there for some Slayer and you end up playing Rocket Hog over and over and over and over and over...

Kuroyume said:
Sounds like what goes on with Multi Team. Go in there for some Slayer and you end up playing Rocket Hog over and over and over and over and over...

Which is why I kind of prefered the old voting system, sure we have more control now... but that just means your going to end up playing the same thing over and over.

Deputy Moonman said:
But I'm a disruptor in games, or a player that initiates things, a flanker, and a rogue. If the rest of my team wants to sit back and snipe or camp with the sword/shotgun, then fine. But I'm gonna get things started. I'm gonna draw people out into the open or get kills the way I get kills, or even be killed. But I play the game to play, not to sit back and eat popcorn.
You're a maverick, bro. A loose cannon. Don't let us hold you back.

bobs99 ... said:
Which is why I kind of prefered the old voting system, sure we have more control now... but that just means your going to end up playing the same thing over and over.
I never looked at it that way. I always wondered why Bungie had gone from a vote system in the Halo 3 Beta to a veto system in the final release. But that explains why.

What is ironic is that I never ever had a match of Rocket Hog selected in Multi-Team which sucked for me because I was wanting to get the achievement for many months. Luckily I managed to get a near full party of my friends to help me to win the vote and get it a couple weeks ago

Kuroyume

Banned
bobs99 ... said:

That's crazy talk. None of this wouldn't be a problem if they took all the retarded gametypes and put them in a playlist so you would never have to play them ever. Headhunter? Rocket Hog? Elite Slayer? Dump them somewhere where people would never have to play them ever again and things would be fine. This is what happens when you have matchmaking. So annoying...

Anyway, tried classic and I'm not a fan. Really awkward going from Reach to that Frankenstein gameplay of Reach and old Halo. It's just really weird. That Hybrid map is terrible. Never played it in Halo: CE since I've never touched Halo: CE multiplayer. I kept falling off the edges. ARs and grenades are very annoying as many people have said in the thread. Not really a fan of the remakes either. Forge is just so terrible. It doesn't feel right. If you get caught in a corner the camera goes behind walls which can screw you up. Everything feels so cramped. I don't recall those maps feeling so small. I'll probably jump in for some more but it would be really nice if we could get a classic Halo game without the tools/armor abilities nonsense because this classic mode just feels too weird.

Gui_PT

Deputy Moonman said:
But I'm a disruptor in games, or a player that initiates things, a flanker, and a rogue. If the rest of my team wants to sit back and snipe or camp with the sword/shotgun, then fine. But I'm gonna get things started. I'm gonna draw people out into the open or get kills the way I get kills, or even be killed.

going_rogue_sarah_palin_cover.jpg

Crucio

oddworld18 said:
Looks like someone at Bungie took Minnetonka's advice!

Its Firefight Thursday. Every week since the release, Thursdays have had Firefight challenges.
:)

That Covie ship, Invasion map looks sweet! Looking forward to playing it. You know the last stage of the invasion could be to arm a bomb instead of stealing a core. Is that possible?

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
I think they're making the daily Challenges easy this week because the weekly requires you to get so many. And playing a bit of catch up - there had been more MP Challenges earlier in the month.

For the month overall, they're about the same. My Challenges spreadsheet is at home, but the past several months MP and Firefight have run about even, within just a couple of each other. They did for March as well, doing a quick tally:

Code:
Firefight       48
Multiplayer     45
Campaign        17
Any             12
Other           2
Total           124
Crucio said:
Its Firefight Thursday. Every week since the release, Thursdays have had Firefight challenges.
:)
Heh. I never picked up on the pattern. Now I'll be looking forward to Thursdays that much more, dammit!

Barrel Cannon said:
I never looked at it that way. I always wondered why Bungie had gone from a vote system in the Halo 3 Beta to a veto system in the final release. But that explains why.

What is ironic is that I never ever had a match of Rocket Hog selected in Multi-Team which sucked for me because I was wanting to get the achievement for many months. Luckily I managed to get a near full party of my friends to help me to win the vote and get it a couple weeks ago

What was the veto system like in the H3 beta? I can't remember it.

Tawpgun

I'm thinking I can get close to 100 kills I'm my first score attack, then in my second game I'll hit all the challenges in the same game. Will screencap.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm thinking I can get close to 100 kills I'm my first score attack, then in my second game I'll hit all the challenges in the same game. Will screencap.
Technically, you could do them all in one game of Gruntpocalypse, Sniper Attack, Fiesta Attack or Score Attack 2X as they all have 120 enemies in them. You might miss by not getting enough headshots (easy to do in the ones where you do extra damage), or if enemies blow themselves up without your help (freakin' Brutes).

I got 3/4 in one game of 2X on Glacier this morning, but fell some headshots short thanks to the Jackals. It's always a fun little meta-game to see how many I can knock off in one game.

G4TV is having another Videogame Deathmatch. This time, it's pitting franchises against each other.

In the first round, it's Halo versus The Legend of Zelda. (Those bastards!)
Lazslo said:
Yes, Yes. You both should go at 7pm since your both on the Best Coast and join me for some Team Classic. I played for the first time yesterday but for only two games- I got Team DRM's on Midship then Team Classic on Hang Em'- I couldn't ask for anything better and the games that didn't get voted for were just as great, There's so much potential with that hopper.
Beast Coast > Best Coast. Word.

Lazslo

xxjuicesxx said:
I wanna play Classic for a few hours in an hour or two, anyone from GAF down?.
vhfive said:
I'll probably still be on later also.
Yes, Yes. You both should go at 7pm since your both on the Best Coast and join me for some Team Classic. I played for the first time yesterday but for only two games- I got Team DRM's on Midship then Team Classic on Hang Em'- I couldn't ask for anything better and the games that didn't get voted for were just as great, There's so much potential with that hopper.

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
Technically, you could do them all in one game of Gruntpocalypse, Sniper Attack, Fiesta Attack or Score Attack 2X as they all have 120 enemies in them. You might miss by not getting enough headshots (easy to do in the ones where you do extra damage), or if enemies blow themselves up without your help (freakin' Brutes).
Actually, 2X has 125.

Edit: That's not including vehicles. :)

Willeth

A27 Tawpgun said:
I was so close to doing that just now. One extra kill in the bonus round would have got it for me.

Top Bottom