• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

xxjuicesxx said:
I don't think it needs any of that. Xbox Live activity consistently show BLOPS + MW2 both ahead of Reach. Thats right MW2 still does better than Reach, meanwhile Halo 3 is down in the double digits, hell most lists would have cut it off.

I'm sorry but most Halo fans probably have moved on and or are bitching about it on forums because it lacks many things. The two primary things are good playlist management and good gameplay. Hell, they had to add like 3 different modes of Slayer to change it from what they released at start, thats not a good sign.

Its been out for only 7 months I think??? Yet it feels like years...

I'm not arguing that that are most certainly higher.

Karl2177

xxjuicesxx said:
I don't think it needs any of that. Xbox Live activity consistently show BLOPS + MW2 both ahead of Reach. Thats right MW2 still does better than Reach, meanwhile Halo 3 is down in the double digits, hell most lists would have cut it off.

I'm sorry but most Halo fans probably have moved on and or are bitching about it on forums because it lacks many things. The two primary things are good playlist management and good gameplay. Hell, they had to add like 3 different modes of Slayer to change it from what they released at start, thats not a good sign.

Its been out for only 7 months I think??? Yet it feels like years...
Reach got old way too quickly. I just got done watching some old Halo 3 rendered videos of mine, and it looked like more fun than what I was having in Reach. Could be nostalgia, but it seems a lot of people feel this way.

Also, Big Bro Slayer on Spire: What a fucking joke. I had two pretty cool triples, but other than that the game was boring as hell. Same game, answering anything about latency affecting bloom and the like yea it does. Watch this: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=16767034&player=Karl2177 (Cooking at the moment) Done.

Karl2177 said:
Reach got old way too quickly. I just got done watching some old Halo 3 rendered videos of mine, and it looked like more fun than what I was having in Reach. Could be nostalgia, but it seems a lot of people feel this way.

Also, Big Bro Slayer on Spire: What a fucking joke. I had two pretty cool triples, but other than that the game was boring as hell. Same game, answering anything about latency affecting bloom and the like yea it does. Watch this: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=16767034&player=Karl2177 (Cooking at the moment) Done.

The more I play Reach the more epic moments I seem to have. So I don't know about the rest of you but it seems to grow on me each play through, especially firefight and campaign.

Population

I don't understand the obsession with comparing Reach population to Black Ops and MW2.
- There are more people on XBL now than when Halo 3 came out, so just because Reach ranks lower relative to COD doesn't necessarily mean less people are playing Reach than Halo 3.
- If Halo had the same kind of gameplay as COD it would make sense to compare the population of the two in discussing how 'good' the games are. In reality it just shows that the XBL masses flock to COD gameplay more than Halo gameplay these days.
- Who cares, as long as Matchmaking times stay short (and they are incredibly short, just think of how long it took in Halo 2.) I don't think anyone is about to pull the plug on Reach's life support because the Matchmaking hoppers are an empty wasteland.

Forge World

As much as I love the amazing technical feat that is Forge World, in hindsight* I think it may have been better to keep it as 5 separate (smaller) maps.
- Obviously it would limit the creative areas people could pick to build maps, but I think most Forgers would trade that for a better frame rate.
- I'd really like to see multiple Forge-focused maps with different textures on the peices. I don't care if the actual object geometry is identical, it would just be nice if the Canyon and the Coliseum had different colored peices. I know that adds to the artist load, but I'd even be okay with incredibly ugly and low-res textures if it meant Forge objects came in more than just gray.

*Hindsight is 20/20, I honestly believe Forge is the best console map editor out there in spite of the minor issues.

Striker

Karl2177 said:
Halo 3 got old after a year for me. Poor playlists, tiresome things like the melee, AR, maps, etc. The popluation factor for 3 is intriguing, depends how Bungie recorded it. The alt accounts inflated it fairly I'm sure. We don't have the same amount of new account griefing as we did then. I have no issues with the population - I don't know why people continually do. The playlists would be healthy if they nixed or rearranged the niche types on a weekend basis (looking at you Living Dead and Grifball).

Why not rotate:

Community Invasion
Community BTB
Community Infection
Living Dead
Grifball (have this show up every weekend, the others rotate in & out)
Covenant Skirmish (Elite CTF/Assault)
Rocket Race (so they can remove Rocket Hog Race from Multi-Team)

CoD is more popular now, and has been since '07. WaW and MW often beat Halo 3 and those two games didn't have the sales Black Ops has had. It's just a change of times for now - surely it'll change. It always does.

That said, there's 4 CoD games ahead of Halo 3 on the charts.

kylej

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
I don't think anyone is about to pull the plug on Reach's life support because the Matchmaking hoppers are an empty wasteland.

Being on life support is a good way to describe matchmaking.

*Hindsight is 20/20, I honestly believe Forge is the best console map editor out there in spite of the minor issues.

I can't respond to this without jumping out a window. Here is a Dachshund instead.

tumblr_ktt08jUmhk1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm on that clip grind again! Just got an out BR for Episode 05. Listening to some Radiohead as I play, doing pretty well actually lol

GhaleonEB

I'm in the process of finishing up my Reach campaign review, and one of the things I gush about is the gunplay and weapon feedback loop. It's the best in the series, just incredibly satisfying. Just picking up, reloading, switching, firing weapons feels meaty and satisfying. It's one of the reasons I love Firefight so damn much. The gunplay is superb, and stuff like bloom works well.

Just not for multiplayer. Campaign and Firefight combat is rock solid, but in multiplayer it's incredibly frustrating; combat feels better tuned for fighting AI than PvP. I don't know if that's how other people feel, but it's where I've settled, and it's the first Halo game where I've had this schism. It's also enough for me, because the campaign and Firefight are great. But I think it highlights the difficulty of making one set of mechanics work in three different contexts.

kylej said:
Being on life support is a good way to describe matchmaking.
I think the better analogy is that Matchmaking is the tobacco industry. It's probably not healthy for the population long-term, but enough people think smoking is cool to keep it working. Just because more people drink alcohol these days doesn't mean cigarettes aren't still popular.

Okay, maybe we should go back to the life support analogy.

kylej said:
I can't respond to this without jumping out a window. Here is a Dachshund instead.
The key word here is console. And when I refer to Forge I'm also talking about the way the maps are implemented in the Community and Matchmaking. Sure, games like Far Cry 2 have impressive map editors, but the entire package pales in comparison to Forge. The next best console map editor I can think of would be in one of the Timesplitter games, but those were horrible online.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm in the process of finishing up my Reach campaign review, and one of the things I gush about is the gunplay and weapon feedback loop. It's the best in the series, just incredibly satisfying. Just picking up, reloading, switching, firing weapons feels meaty and satisfying. It's one of the reasons I love Firefight so damn much. The gunplay is superb, and stuff like bloom works well.

Just not for multiplayer. Campaign and Firefight combat is rock solid, but in multiplayer it's incredibly frustrating; combat feels better tuned for fighting AI than PvP. I don't know if that's how other people feel, but it's where I've settled, and it's the first Halo game where I've had this schism. It's also enough for me, because the campaign and Firefight are great. But I think it highlights the difficulty of making one set of mechanics work in three different contexts.
Looking forward to your review.

vhfive

ncsuDuncan said:
The key word here is console. And when I refer to Forge I'm also talking about the way the maps are implemented in the Community and Matchmaking. Sure, games like Far Cry 2 have impressive map editors, but the entire package pales in comparison to Forge. The next best console map editor I can think of would be in one of the Timesplitter games, but those were horrible online.
Have you used Far Cry 2's map editor? I would fucking kill that Dachshund to have that in Reach.

Tashi

Trasher said:
Good man. I do the same thing.

Yea I usually don't listen to music at all but I'm not taking it too serious right now. I don't even have my mic in. I've got OK Computer and King of Limbs on right now shuffled.

Tashi0106 said:
Yea I usually don't listen to music at all but I'm not taking it too serious right now. I don't even have my mic in. I've got OK Computer and King of Limbs on right now shuffled.

They released two new songs the other day. Very good stuff.

vhfive said:
Have you used Far Cry 2's map editor? I would fucking kill that Dachshund to have that in Reach.

I rented FC2 from Gamefly, but mailed it back after a few days in the underwhelming campaign. Didn't touch multiplayer or the map editor, but I am very familiar with the youtube videos and various Halo remakes made in it.

Would I be happy for something like that in Reach? Hell yes, of course! I'd be dropping Dachshunds out of hot-air balloons for something like that. But again, that's assuming it gets the rest of the package that Forge benefits from. I wasn't trying to start a Best Map Editor Debate, I was just trying to say that I still enjoy Forge and Forge World despite the framerate and color palette issues. Complain about Forge if you want, but in my opinion, Halo Reach as a whole has the best custom map implementation on a console.

And if you still disagree with me you are wrong entitled to your own opinion. :p

vhfive

this
ncsuDuncan said:

is different then this
ncsuDuncan said:
I rented FC2 from Gamefly, but mailed it back after a few days in the underwhelming campaign. Didn't touch multiplayer or the map editor, but I am very familiar with the youtube videos and various Halo remakes made in it.

Would I be happy for something like that in Reach? Hell yes, of course! I'd be dropping Dachshunds out of hot-air balloons for something like that. But again, that's assuming it gets the rest of the package that Forge benefits from. I wasn't trying to start a Best Map Editor Debate, I was just trying to say that I still enjoy Forge and Forge World despite the framerate and color palette issues. Complain about Forge if you want, but in my opinion, Halo Reach as a whole has the best custom map implementation on a console.

And if you still disagree with me you are wrong entitled to your own opinion. :p

Why do people complain about the AR, its a different weapon. It can be useful in situations. As many situations as a DMR? No. But come on its a fine weapon and I think perfectly balanced in Reach.

A27_StarWolf said:
The more I play Reach the more epic moments I seem to have. So I don't know about the rest of you but it seems to grow on me each play through, especially firefight and campaign.

This is the process i've gone through with Reach. It went from praying for a patch in February to actually really enjoying the game. I think the refinement of the arena (in particular the removal of armour lock), the classic playlist and a plethora of little changes around the playlists in April have really enhanced Reach.

However, with that said I still think bloom is it's most grave shortcoming and the maps that shipped with the game were less than stellar though the dlc has remedied that somewhat.

Sadly, the talk of mm population has led me to believe that some of the changes have been to late. The overall population isn't bad at all it's the low numbers in the arena and classic that concern me. I think the impression the arena left in it's first few seasons has been too much for some to consider venturing in there again.

vhfive said:
this
is different then this

I know.

So in summary:
ncsuDuncan posts criticisms of Forge World, makes offhand comment that Forge is the best Map Editor on consoles
kylej, wwm0nkey, and GUI_PT rightfully call out ncsuDuncan for his brash statement about Map Editors
ncsuDuncan backpedals clarifies that he meant the Overall Custom Map Implementation
vhfive voices support for Far Cry 2's map editor
ncsuDuncan agrees about Far Cry 2 and further clarifies his position on Custom Map Implementation
vhfive points out Map Editors are not the same as the Overall Custom Map Implementation
ncsuDuncan makes a poor attempt at humor with a self-referential summary post
some random GAFer posts either Inception_WeNeedToGoDeeper.jpg or Xzibit_YoDawg.jpg
a HaloGAF regular complains about bloom and/or armor lock

GAF, don't fail me now. :p

thee henery said:
This is the process i've gone through with Reach. It went from praying for a patch in February to actually really enjoying the game. I think the refinement of the arena (in particular the removal of armour lock), the classic playlist and a plethora of little changes around the playlists in April have really enhanced Reach.

However, with that said I still think bloom is it's most grave shortcoming and the maps that shipped with the game were less than stellar though the dlc has remedied that somewhat.

Sadly, the talk of mm population has led me to believe that some of the changes have been to late. The overall population isn't bad at all it's the low numbers in the arena and classic that concern me. I think the impression the arena left in it's first few seasons has been too much for some to consider venturing in there again.

Same here, I really hated the game when it came out. Force myself to play it anyway, then my friends started hating and jumping ship to BLOPS. Now with the Team Classic playlist, I'm starting to really enjoy reach again.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ncsuDuncan said:
Far Cry 2 map editor wants a word with you. edit: I see you responded to that and I disagree with you.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I love the Needle Rifle. Love the gentle rumble when you pick it up and the weird, faint noise when you scope in and out and the fact that it has given me a new way to insert long pink needles into people's faces.

Don't drop the weapon next game, pretty please.

Gui_PT

ncsuDuncan said:
I know.

So in summary:
ncsuDuncan posts criticisms of Forge World, makes offhand comment that Forge is the best Map Editor on consoles
kylej, wwm0nkey, and GUI_PT rightfully call out ncsuDuncan for his brash statement about Map Editors
ncsuDuncan backpedals clarifies that he meant the Overall Custom Map Implementation
vhfive voices support for Far Cry 2's map editor
ncsuDuncan agrees about Far Cry 2 and further clarifies his position on Custom Map Implementation
vhfive points out Map Editors are not the same as the Overall Custom Map Implementation
ncsuDuncan makes a poor attempt at humor with a self-referential summary post
some random GAFer posts either Inception_WeNeedToGoDeeper.jpg or Xzibit_YoDawg.jpg
a HaloGAF regular complains about bloom and/or armor lock

GAF, don't fail me now. :p

Who are you!

A27_StarWolf said:
Why do people complain about the AR, its a different weapon. It can be useful in situations. As many situations as a DMR? No. But come on its a fine weapon and I think perfectly balanced in Reach.

There is nothing wrong with the AR in itself, its that the precisions weapons take so long to kill. If I pull off a perfect 5sk with the magnum at mid range, an AR user shouldn't be able to get me to no shields and possibly red health.

GhaleonEB

I'm on hold with Gamestop's online order customer support line to argue with them, and they're playing Halo 2's soundtrack (from the announcement trailer).

It might backfire on them, as it's actually getting me kind of pumped up.

*cracks knuckles*
Tunavi said:
Just had a 43-49 epic comeback win in the arena.
You must be mistaken. TrueSkill does not permit such comebacks.

Tashi

GhaleonEB said:
I'm on hold with Gamestop's online order customer support line to argue with them, and they're playing Halo 2's soundtrack (from the announcement trailer).

It might backfire on them, as it's actually getting me kind of pumped up.

*cracks knuckles*

:lol :lol 4 shot their asses Ghal!

Havok

ncsuDuncan said:
Right, because The Cage and the 99% of Community Big Team Maps that happen to be abominations that enter matchmaking with game-breaking flaws should be the poster child for user-generated maps on consoles. At least there are those 3 good Community Slayer maps.

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
:lol :lol 4 shot their asses Ghal!
I got a Perfection.

Story:

I ordered The Orange Box from gamestop.com after reading up on the awesome that is Portal 2 and getting the hankering to re-play Portal (I'd owned TOB before, but sold it since Portal was the only one on the disc I liked). I'll snag Portal 2 in a month or so.

I'd somehow missed that Portal was released on XBLA. A fellow HaloGAFer let me know. (Thanks, Dax.) I have a couple points cards laying around that I picked up on sale just last week, so that works out perfectly.

I try to cancel order using gamestop.com's site, but their system hits an error in processing and tells me to send an email.

I send the email requesting the cancellation. A few hours later, I get the email telling me it shipped.

I write custom support, saying I don't want to take the shipping charges when I return the game, because I tried to cancel before it shipped. They write back and say, sorry, lol.

I pick up the phone.

To their credit, the customer rep understood and credited the shipping charges to my card right away, triggered when I return the game to a retail store. So I'm happy.

Clearly, their customer service rep system does not use a pure version of TrueSkill, since it matched me up with a customer service rep who I was able to work through too easily. It wasn't even a fight.

Tashi0106 said:
I'm on that clip grind again! Just got an out BR for Episode 05. Listening to some Radiohead as I play, doing pretty well actually lol
I've been listening to Kid A all day.

Best music to study to. Well, that and Aphex Twin.

Edit: Would anyone be willing to play ODST Firefight tonight? I just realized I have four more of the 200,000 point achievements I need to get to 100 percent complete the game.

vhfive

Steelyuhas said:
There is nothing wrong with the AR in itself, its that the precisions weapons take so long to kill. If I pull off a perfect 5sk with the magnum at mid range, an AR user shouldn't be able to get me to no shields and possibly red health.
This, plus the disparity between reward and ease of use. I guess it fits into Bungie not wanting overlapping weapon roles but people aren't fond of being taken down by some guy just holding a trigger and running forward while they're trying to pace their shots with the Magnum but bloom is all over the place.

Barrow Roll said:
This, plus the disparity between reward and ease of use. I guess it fits into Bungie not wanting overlapping weapon roles but people aren't fond of being taken down by some guy just holding a trigger and running forward while they're trying to pace their shots with the Magnum but bloom is all over the place.

Agreed. As a general rule of thumb for arena shooters, precision weapons should have fast kill times than automatic ones because they by nature, more difficult to use.

Steelyuhas said:
Agreed. As a general rule of thumb for arena shooters, precision weapons should have fast kill times than automatic ones because they by nature, more difficult to use.
At longer ranges I'd agree, otherwise once again the DMR would be all that anyone uses. As the distance to target shortens in I think the pistol should have an advantage, followed by the AR which should dominate both of those up close.

NullPointer said:
At longer ranges I'd agree, otherwise once again the DMR would be all that anyone uses. As the distance to target shortens in I think the pistol should have an advantage, followed by the AR which should dominate both of those up close.

Yeah, I agree. Obviously it should be within ranges.

The range that the AR is effective against the Magnum in this game is awful IMO. It is especially irksome because the Magnum is so much fun to use in this game.

Ken

Hitmonchan107 said:
Edit: Would anyone be willing to play ODST Firefight tonight? I just realized I have four more of the 200,000 point achievements I need to get to 100 percent complete the game.

I'll be up for some ODST tonight since my Portal 2 buddy isn't coming online till very late tonight.

@GhaleonEB: Do you have a PC that can play Portal because I have an unredeemed copy of it on Steam I could send to you.

Steelyuhas said:

I disagree 100 percent. 9/10 if you got killed by an AR and you were wielding a precision weapon it was in close range battle. The AR should be 100 % more effective close range than a weapon like the DMR or BR. ( I don't say NR because it could be argued as a fully automatic weapon).

The DMR is built for medium to long range. You can't rage that you got killed by an assault rifle in a close range fight because you had a DMR. One of the great things about Halo is having two weapons. If you don't have a close range weapon than shame on you.

*also- IF someone gets your health down from far away with it, they are using short controlled bursts, no different than controlling the bloom on a DMR.

However I do understand why AR starts are less enjoyable with a map that has a numerous amount of precision weapons. The pistol does a great job of remedying, but still not curing this however.

NullPointer said:
THIS

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah, I agree. Obviously it should be within ranges.

The range that the AR is effective against the Magnum in this game is awful IMO. It is especially irksome because the Magnum is so much fun to use in this game.

I think a lot of people just panic and spam with the magnum, this is why they die.

Striker said:
The playlists would be healthy if they nixed or rearranged the niche types on a weekend basis (looking at you Living Dead and Grifball).

Why not rotate:

Community Invasion
Community BTB
Community Infection
Living Dead
Grifball (have this show up every weekend, the others rotate in & out)
Covenant Skirmish (Elite CTF/Assault)
Rocket Race (so they can remove Rocket Hog Race from Multi-Team)

I'm afraid your suggestions make way too much sense for Bungie to even take them into consideration. Playlists that barely support a 1k player population are working out just fine as far as they're concerned.

A27_StarWolf said:
I disagree 100 percent. 9/10 if you got killed by an AR and you were wielding a precision weapon it was in close range battle. The AR should be 100 % more effective close range than a weapon like the DMR or BR. ( I don't say NR because it could be argued as a fully automatic weapon).

The DMR is built for medium to long range. You can't rage that you got killed by an assault rifle in a close range fight because you had a DMR. One of the great things about Halo is having two weapons. If you don't have a close range weapon than shame on you.

*also- IF someone gets your health down from far away with it, they are using short controlled bursts, no different than controlling the bloom on a DMR.

However I do understand why AR starts are less enjoyable with a map that has a numerous amount of precision weapons. The pistol does a great job of remedying, but still not curing this however.

THIS

I think a lot of people just panic and spam with the magnum, this is why they die.

I was speaking about the AR vs. the Magnum the whole time. The DMR vs. AR is not as big of a deal because you can easily spam the DMR to kill faster.

I agree in close range, but I was speaking of medium range, where if a Magnum user misses a single shot he is probably dead from an AR. I do not think that is the correct balance at all.

I almost never spam with the Magnum (outside of obvious very close range situations), and if I nail a perfect reset 5sk with the Magum at a solid medium range, I will in all likelihood have no shields from an AR, practically begging any other player in the game to nick me with just about anything and I'm dead. It just creates a game with a smaller skill gap because everyone is on the verge of death after an encounter.

Ken said:
I'll be up for some ODST tonight since my Portal 2 buddy isn't coming online till very late tonight.

@GhaleonEB: Do you have a PC that can play Portal because I have an unredeemed copy of it on Steam I could send to you.
Awesome! I was starting to wonder if I was on everybody's ignore list now. :lol

Give me an hour or so to find a stopping point on studying and to cook spaghetti for supper.

Top Bottom