Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

zumphry

Banned
Jul 16, 2009
2,377
83
0
Hitmonchan107 said:
My guess: Being a "mission designer" means level crafting, and the lack of levels hints at an open world where quests and the like are the rule of the day.
Same here. Where instead of a level like Tsavo Highway with encounters, Destiny'll have missions/quests like the pre-xbox Halo reveal trailer with the Spartans going into the control room and taking Banshees, and the one video with the Chief/Cyborg sniping Elites at an outpost so the Marines could go into the tunnels until they got their asses kicked.

Plus if it's like that, then I could see Firefight like missions where you're either defending an area from other factions, or where you're taking back an area or fighting your way in. Like Firefight+Invasion, but not horrible.

I just hope most challenges/quests aren't of the "Kill X number of X type of Space Rats" variety...
 

Ramirez

Member
Jun 7, 2004
34,254
0
1,310
I loved MLG in Halo 3, after they implemented the new ranking system it was pretty much all I played, and I played it by myself, and actually had fun. I just don't find it that fun in Reach, and I know most of it stems from bloom and other mechanics I despise in the game. Add the fact that I don't have friends that enjoy it, and I don't know enough about the actual call outs and stuff to join Tashi, and the other few who do play it here, and I'm in a rock and a hard place. :p

It does suck like you said though, to constantly play games and never really get challenged, that's one thing I don't understand about Reach, I got plenty of great games all the time in Halo 3's non MLG playlists.
 

thezerofire

Banned
Nov 8, 2010
8,868
0
0
Ramirez said:
I loved MLG in Halo 3, after they implemented the new ranking system it was pretty much all I played, and I played it by myself, and actually had fun. I just don't find it that fun in Reach, and I know most of it stems from bloom and other mechanics I despise in the game. Add the fact that I don't have friends that enjoy it, and I don't know enough about the actual call outs and stuff to join Tashi, and the other few who do play it here, and I'm in a rock and a hard place. :p

It does suck like you said though, to constantly play games and never really get challenged, that's one thing I don't understand about Reach, I got plenty of great games all the time in Halo 3's non MLG playlists.
I'll try and jump into it with you. I don't know shit about the maps but two people would be more fun than 1, right?
 

Devolution

Member
Mar 18, 2007
53,263
0
0
California
thezerofire said:
Yeah, MLG takes way more teamwork than ordinary Halo. At the same time, however, I don't think Reach rewards individual skill like previous Halo games did, so it's really difficult to have fun when playing it alone. You don't have one player making clutch plays really, which is good and bad I guess. I mean, watching at Anaheim was such a trip. When I was there in 2009, people would go nuts for Killtacs and overkills and stuff, but now people were like "oh shit he got a double kill."

I much preferred Halo 3's MLG. just my two cents.
I had this discussion literally just the other night with someone that Reach made it that much harder to take on two people at once, even if you're damn good. All they have to do is run around with their ARs out, and even if ARs aren't available they have twice the nades. Couple this with bloom/one shot DR and it's just =/.
 

Risen

Member
Apr 12, 2010
1,807
0
0
Ramirez said:
Add the fact that I don't have friends that enjoy it, and I don't know enough about the actual call outs and stuff to join Tashi, and the other few who do play it here, and I'm in a rock and a hard place. :p
.
Since Tashi can't post yet... I'll go ahead and say it... he doesn't really call out anyway ;) you'd be right at home!

<3 u tashi

Seriously though... you should come play one night... if nothing else, customs can be fairly easily found and you could get used to the call outs. Bloom and other mechanics still suck... but for my play time, MLG is the best place to find competitive games...

or high ranked Onyx... but you have to play through a week of lopsided games to get there...
 

Ramirez

Member
Jun 7, 2004
34,254
0
1,310
thezerofire said:
I'll try and jump into it with you. I don't know shit about the maps but two people would be more fun than 1, right?
Yea, we could try, only problem is usually when I'm on it's late at night and we have way more than 4 people.

MLG is definitely always competitive when I do play it, no doubt that it's the best playlist for that. Arena is full of AA cheesers the higher you go up, and the one nade+radar really kills the playlist for me.
 
Dec 9, 2008
2,795
0
780
USA
majorwilliams.blogspot.com
Devolution said:
I had this discussion literally just the other night with someone that Reach made it that much harder to take on two people at once, even if you're damn good. All they have to do is run around with their ARs out, and even if ARs aren't available they have twice the nades. Couple this with bloom/one shot DR and it's just =/.
I've started to become the AR's best friend recently. Burst fire is just great with it, and whenever there is an assist challenge, I can complete it pretty easily haha.

Off Topic - Your avatar is amazing bro.
 

ncsuDuncan

Member
Apr 9, 2010
4,383
0
0
I keep staring at these mountains and dreaming of how fun it would be to drive around on them in a Warthog, especially online with friends.

Forge in Halo 3 and Reach was an excellent feature, and fans managed to create some amazing levels and structures despite its inherent restrictions. What if Bungie is trying to capture that creativity and put it at the core of the new franchise? I think we can all agree that Forge is not the focus of the Halo games, it's an extra feature that can't take away too much development time from Campaign and Multiplayer.

What if a main feature of Destiny is a deliberate attempt to combine Forge creativity with Minecraft and Far Cry 2's editors, wrapping it all up in a massively awesome multiplayer FPS? Borderlands and Spore crossed with Mass Effect 1 and EVE Online... Buy a plot of land on some remote planet, carry out Manifest Destiny and terraform it to your liking. Use the new editor to upload your map to the multiplayer server storage that replaces what used to be your file share. Travel to the campaign planets to progress through the story as you switch between various factions. Return home and defend your land online as opposing factions explore the vast number of unique planets...

I'm letting my imagination run wild. Maybe I should adjust my expectations to "Duke Nukem Forever crossed with Two Worlds" so I can be pleasantly surprised later.
 

feel

Member
Jul 16, 2009
16,605
0
690
Ramirez said:
I'm starting a GAF/FB/RL prayer chain when I board my flight. :p
Praying for the complete lack of bloom once you pickup a controller and fire that first shot at Halofest or for the plane not to crash against the side of a mountain?
 

senador

Member
Jul 5, 2011
3,280
0
0
33
UT
bigshinyrobot.com
Letters said:
Praying for the complete lack of bloom once you pickup a controller and fire that first shot at Halofest or for the plane not to crash against the side of a mountain?
Duh. That the plane doesn't have bloom yo.

Steelyuhas said:
If that plane has bloom its not going to be able to avoid slamming into the side of a mountain.
Armor Lock

:p
 

Gabotron ES

Member
Jul 1, 2011
4,975
0
520
26
Málaga, Spain
So say we will be able to play a bloomless version of Reach in the Classic+ playlist, will I be able to save those gametypes and play them on the built in maps?
If so, HaloGAF customs will be much enjoyable :D
 

Steelyuhas

Member
Apr 22, 2010
17,217
0
0
senador said:
Duh. That the plane doesn't have bloom yo.
If that plane has bloom its not going to be able to avoid slamming into the side of a mountain.

Gabotron ES said:
So say we will be able to play a bloomless version of Reach in the Classic+ playlist, will I be able to save those gametypes and play them on the built in maps?
If so, HaloGAF customs will be much enjoyable.
Well I assume that all customs games, GAF or no, will become Beaver Creek customs once CEA drops.
 

GhaleonEB

Member
Jun 7, 2004
77,909
2
1,490
Oregon
Dax01 said:
That's really awesome of Dan to answer all of those questions. He's going to be at PAX? Damn. PAX is sounding more awesome all the time.
Dan is as nice a person as he is a great designer. We've met for drinks and chow the past several years at PAX. It's one of the reasons I look forward to PAX each year.
 

thezerofire

Banned
Nov 8, 2010
8,868
0
0
Devolution said:
I had this discussion literally just the other night with someone that Reach made it that much harder to take on two people at once, even if you're damn good. All they have to do is run around with their ARs out, and even if ARs aren't available they have twice the nades. Couple this with bloom/one shot DR and it's just =/.
it's frustrating yeah. Even if you get a good nade on two people it just takes too long to get both of them.

Ramirez said:
Yea, we could try, only problem is usually when I'm on it's late at night and we have way more than 4 people.
the late night part is no problem, but yeah we do seem to have more than 4. maybe we could get 8 for customs?
 

Steelyuhas

Member
Apr 22, 2010
17,217
0
0
Devolution said:
I had this discussion literally just the other night with someone that Reach made it that much harder to take on two people at once, even if you're damn good. All they have to do is run around with their ARs out, and even if ARs aren't available they have twice the nades. Couple this with bloom/one shot DR and it's just =/.
The individual skill gap has been very narrow in H3 and Reach. It's a damn shame because its one of the things that made H1 and H2 so magic. It's a team game, and you have to work together, but individuals could also dominate in H1 and 2 if they were good enough. That aspect is basically gone in H3 and Reach and is one of the main factors that makes H3 and Reach inferior multiplayer games to the first two in the series.
 

Homeboyd

Member
Feb 27, 2011
10,584
0
515
Gabotron ES said:
So say we will be able to play a bloomless version of Reach in the Classic+ playlist, will I be able to save those gametypes and play them on the built in maps?
If so, HaloGAF customs will be much enjoyable :D
I think the idea is to unlock these options for us to toggle in our custom games. I see what you're saying though.. Hopefully an official answer comes down soon because you're right... the base maps would need an upgrade as well if we want to run the new goodies on them.
 

Hypertrooper

Member
Jul 12, 2007
10,068
0
0
Germany
Why did Reach show me the last two-three matches, that I have the best connection? If I threw grenade, I see the grenade trajectory one second later. If I use a GravLift, I see the jump 3-4 times before I land. My DMR shots reach the opposite guy a few seconds later. WTF?
 

Sean P.

Member
Dec 12, 2009
444
0
0
Bellevue, WA
Risen said:
I have to say, I am a real fan of Astro Gaming. In an age where dollar is bottom line and the customer experience is almost always taking a back seat to profitability, they are a breath of fresh air.

Their product isn't perfect, but my experience with their customer service has been outstanding.

They honestly do have an unbeatable customer service. They know their product isn't perfect, and they will do anything to ensure you have the best customer experience.

Now that they belong to Skull Candy I expect them to really take off and just make better and better products.

BTW, if any HaloGAF PAX attendants want a discount on some Astros, I should be able to hook you up.
 

The Librarian

Banned
Apr 22, 2008
44,148
0
0
27
GhaleonEB said:
Dan is as nice a person as he is a great designer. We've met for drinks and chow the past several years at PAX. It's one of the reasons I look forward to PAX each year.
I'm going to die of envy before this year's PAX is over.

Edit: Also, today I discovered that you can see the burned wreckage of the ONI headquarters in NMPD HQ.
 

Hypertrooper

Member
Jul 12, 2007
10,068
0
0
Germany
Sean P. said:
They honestly do have an unbeatable customer service. They know their product isn't perfect, and they will do anything to ensure you have the best customer experience.

Now that they belong to Skull Candy I expect them to really take off and just make better and better products.

BTW, if any HaloGAF PAX attendants want a discount on some Astros, I should be able to hook you up.
I'm really thinking about to pick up Astros, when I'm in Seattle. But Astro Tweet is saying, that they won't have a booth this year.

Dax01 said:
I'm going to die of envy for this year's PAX is over.
If you had only the German pupil moral, you would be able to go.
 

thezerofire

Banned
Nov 8, 2010
8,868
0
0
Sean P. said:
They honestly do have an unbeatable customer service. They know their product isn't perfect, and they will do anything to ensure you have the best customer experience.

Now that they belong to Skull Candy I expect them to really take off and just make better and better products.

BTW, if any HaloGAF PAX attendants want a discount on some Astros, I should be able to hook you up.
Skullcandy makes terribly mediocre products, however. But still, how much of a discount are we talking?
 

Sean P.

Member
Dec 12, 2009
444
0
0
Bellevue, WA
Hypertrooper said:
I'm really thinking about to pick up Astros, when I'm in Seattle. But Astro Tweet is saying, that they won't have a booth this year.
To the extent of my knowledge they do, I visited them a few weeks ago and their main event coordinator said he'd have to be at MLG Raleigh (lame) but Stan and everyone else would be at PAX.

They are also listed as a Sponsor still on the PAX site, so they should be there
 

Sean P.

Member
Dec 12, 2009
444
0
0
Bellevue, WA
thezerofire said:
Skullcandy makes terribly mediocre products, however. But still, how much of a discount are we talking?
Skullcandy is just their overhead, they are still their own company making their own product line.

Last year I was able to get 15% discounts

EDIT: Sorry for DP D:
 

Hypertrooper

Member
Jul 12, 2007
10,068
0
0
Germany
Sean P. said:
Skullcandy is just their overhead, they are still their own company making their own product line.

Last year I was able to get 15% discounts

EDIT: Sorry for DP D:
If they have one, I would accept your offer. Buying Astros in America is a lot of cheaper than here in Germany.
 

thezerofire

Banned
Nov 8, 2010
8,868
0
0
Sean P. said:
Skullcandy is just their overhead, they are still their own company making their own product line.

Last year I was able to get 15% discounts

EDIT: Sorry for DP D:
while tempting, my current headset works well enough where that's still expensive. thanks for the offer though
 

feel

Member
Jul 16, 2009
16,605
0
690
I need one of you guys going PAX to keep an eye out for the physical copies of the Bastion soundtrack that will available for purchase somewhere in there. I want one! Will pay for all expenses related to it of course.
 

Sean P.

Member
Dec 12, 2009
444
0
0
Bellevue, WA
Hypertrooper said:
If they have one, I would accept your offer. Buying Astros in America is a lot of cheaper than here in Germany.
I emailed their coordinator, turns out you are right, no booth due to MLG :[ sad sad day
 

MrBig

Member
Apr 2, 2009
9,231
0
0
California
Blue Ninja said:
So, he's a fan of "overworld designs" and there's no more 'missions' in Bungie's next project.

If they make an open-universe RPG (that you can play with as many friends as you want at the same time), I'm going to die in pure bliss.
fixed
 

Hydranockz

Member
Nov 5, 2009
9,854
0
0
Ireland
Hypertrooper said:
Stop being offline, Hydranockz! Come back!
Sorry bro. I'd still be on but I have a friend staying over and she's sleeping where the tv is.

Can't actually believe PAX is on our doorstep. I hope I can keep up to date whilst in Mexico. I might even be able to recover my tag and see what American timezones do to the player base :p
 

GhaleonEB

Member
Jun 7, 2004
77,909
2
1,490
Oregon
Blue Ninja said:
So, he's a fan of "overworld designs" and there's no more 'missions' in Bungie's next project.

If they make an open-world RPG (preferably not an MMO :lol), I'm going to die in pure bliss.
Yup. I get all tingly just thinking about it.
 

Hypertrooper

Member
Jul 12, 2007
10,068
0
0
Germany
Hydranockz said:
Sorry bro. I'd still be on but I have a friend staying over and she's sleeping where the tv is.

Can't actually believe PAX is on our doorstep. I hope I can keep up to date whilst in Mexico. I might even be able to recover my tag and see what American timezones do to the player base :p
But you have a girl friend!
Don't you have a USB stick? You could save your profile on this and take it with you