• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

J10

Banned
Somewhat unrelated, but I was just thinking - I wish the opening cinematic for Reach had a few shots of the planet BEFORE the Covenant wrecked it.

- Space/planet shot.
- Sunrise.
- Split mountain/heat wave.
- Cracked helmet.
- R E A C H
- Noble Six holding intact helmet, puts it on. Warthogs and Falcons fly into distance.
- Civilians milling about New Alexandria, Exodus areas. Lots of people going about their business as usual.
- Farmers loading hay bales onto vehicles in the Winter Contingency areas.
- Civilian operating a forklift in front of an undamaged Sword Base, moving crates around.
- Workers taking a lunch break at the Boneyard area.
- Cut back to Noble Six's Warthog arriving at the outpost, cinematic finishes as normal.

I just feel like the Halo games have always underutilized the contrast that you would get from showing human environments under normal conditions.

What if ODST had presented a quick view of a heavily populated New Mombasa before Regret's forces arrived? It would have made the quiet abandoned city more jarring as you wander around alone in the rain. We got a taste of how the city must have been during the evacuation from Sadie's story, but you had to search for that and I think you'd get more of an emotional contrast from actually seeing a normal New Mombasa before shit hits the fan.

We got some of this in the marketing leading up to the game's release with the live action commercials featuring Reach civilians. It would have been very cool to see it in the game instead. I generally don't like when game marketing doesn't show off the actual game. Live action shorts are cool to look at, but I'm not playing those.

J10

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
Yes it is the name of the ship. Unfortunately you can't see a lot of details on this pic.

I'm going to say: Halo 4 won't play before 2558.

Wouldn't Cortana have died by then or did she somehow get a new lease on life? I assumed Halo 4 would pick up mere days after the events of three, not years.

feel

Tashi0106 said:
lol letters, I'm gonna bring these posts up when you still complain about Reach post TU.
Oh, very likely that I'll still bitch about Reach post-TU. I have a feeling that in between delivering fantastic Halo1 (3shot pistol) and haloReach (armor abilities) experiences, and in order to not have too many playlists, they won't be including the Halo 2 experience I personally truly crave (bloomless DMR starts , no AAs, fast movement, high jumps) using all great maps that will be at their disposal.

Bring my posts up if I'm leading a BRING BLOOM BACK campaign after Halo 4's release. Otherwise, meh.. :p

Booshka

Is there a level where you can do the Co op dash weekly legit?

I don't really feel like learning a glitch to complete a challenge.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:
Oh, very likely that I'll still bitch about Reach post-TU. I have a feeling that in between delivering fantastic Halo1 (3shot pistol) and haloReach (armor abilities) experiences, and in order to not have too many playlists, they won't be including the Halo 2 experience I personally truly crave (bloomless DMR starts , no AAs, fast movement, high jumps) using all great maps that will be at their disposal.

Bring my posts up if I'm leading a BRING BLOOM BACK campaign after Halo 4's release. Otherwise, meh.. :p

lol fair enough.

Bring my posts up when I say bloom sucks.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Firefights initiate a flight or fight response. You either fire on the enemy or get away from the enemy's fire at you. Bloom takes this natural response and forces you to halt and stop in the heat of a firefight. Not run away, not continue, just stop. You need to stop and wait for the reticule to reset so that the headshot you've already lined up a second ago will actually connect.

It makes no sense. There should have never have been a mechanic in Halo that makes you stop fighting in the middle of a fight, for any reason.
JERKS.jpg

Me: I'll just wait here until you're done.

feel

I didn't pay much attention, but I thought that was the chief half of FUD in the Halo 4 concept!! :O

A separate functional ship and all that it contains means ARs, BRs, marines and warthogs all over the place!! WOOOOOOOOOO

Tashi0106 said:
lol fair enough.

Bring my posts up when I say bloom sucks.
You won't be allowed to brag about shitting on anyone in a game of bloomless Reach or Halo 4, I'll interpret that as Bloom sucks and bring out the wall of quotes.
just teasing ya <3

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:
You won't be allowed to brag about shitting on anyone in a game of bloomless Reach or Halo 4, I'll interpret that as Bloom sucks and bring out the wall of quotes.
just teasing ya <3

Hahahaha, I was gonna say, that's a pretty broad interpretation lol.

GhaleonEB

BlueScrote said:
We just tried that and failed miserably.
ONI is a good quick level. You can skip the first battle, use the target locator on the next, drive to the next two and hit the buttons while barely killing anyone, the plow through to the end. I can do it in around 20 minutes solo, and that's killing everyone. Blowing past should get you to 9 in co-op.

Tawpgun

First of all, LOL @Fyrewulff saying strafing is silly and pointless. I'm still waiting for him to say that's not what he meant and correct himself. Then again, I suppose strafe is pointless when you have an AR.

On that note, who was that person from HaloGAF who posted their stats which showed an AR obscenely high on their ToD?

Second, Fuck you Tashi for getting power back... Tomorrows my last day in this house... What a shitty last week its been. Fuck Irene.

A27 Tawpgun said:
First of all, LOL @Fyrewulff saying strafing is silly and pointless. I'm still waiting for him to say that's not what he meant and correct himself. Then again, I suppose strafe is pointless when you have an AR.

On that note, who was that person from HaloGAF who posted their stats which showed an AR obscenely high on their ToD?

Second, Fuck you Tashi for getting power back... Tomorrows my last day in this house... What a shitty last week its been. Fuck Irene.

Probably me or Xeno. We're some of the few people to rock that thing when we need to. His k/d with it is 1.79 +1220, mine is 1.86 +593. It is even in my top 5, lulz. If you're asking what I think you're asking.

MrBig

Hulud said:
Wait, they are actually removing bloom? Or is it just for a specific playlist?
They are adding the ability for them to to cap the spread on a per-gametype level at the backend. So they can have no bloom for certain weapons in Classic, and then reduced bloom in various other playlists/gametypes.

Hypertrooper said:
I uploaded the pic. But it doesn't look good either.

Again: I can't wait to read Glasslands. The Return by Kevin Grace gives a lot of teases already. After reading I created my own hypothesis and hope I bet right. hehe. (I love that creating a hypothesis in my mind and hoping that you are right. <3 )
I talked at some length about this to Ghaleon, but I tried rereading "Ghosts of Onyx" during my flight to PAX, and I can't get into his writing anymore.

But I love Kevin Grace's writing style. I'm seriously hoping 343 will grant him the time and money to write a full-length Halo novel.

I borrowed "Cryptum" from a friend, so I'll start reading that this weekend.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I talked at some length about this to Ghaleon, but I tried rereading "Ghosts of Onyx" during my flight to PAX, and I can't get into his writing anymore.

But I love Kevin Grace's writing style. I'm seriously hoping 343 will grant him the time and money to write a full-length Halo novel.

I borrowed "Cryptum" from a friend, so I'll start reading that this weekend.
Enjoy the ride. As a non-native english guy I had my problems at the beginning but the book ends really awesome like Halo 2. I hope Amazon will ship Primordium faster this time. I waited for Cryptum nearly two months... :/

And I support the idea that Kevin Grace should write a book. Maybe he should write an extra book for Halo 4 Limited and Legendary Edition like Dr. Halsey's Diary.
I'm so jealous that you talk to him. I blame myself I had the chance so many times. Next year I hope I'll have the chance again.

Booshka

Ramirez said:
Who is he?
Starcraft 2 commentator, former SC1/BW Pro and overall amazing eSports personality.

He does these dailies several times a week that are about strategy, fun and and overall entertainment. It's all about Starcraft though.

Ramirez

Booshka said:
Starcraft 2 commentator, former SC1/BW Pro and overall amazing eSports personality.

He does these dailies several times a week that are about strategy, fun and and overall entertainment. It's all about Starcraft though.

Oh, that's all I was confused about.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tunavi said:
So.........when do we beta test the TU?

I'm watching the Halo Anniversary Panel for the first time (was on my flight to Seattle when this was happening) and David just said mid to late September.

Although, if I'm hearing this right, we won't actually be able to try the features of the TU until early October when the beta hopper goes up.

Hypertrooper said:
I'm so jealous that you talk to him. I blame myself I had the chance so many times. Next year I hope I'll have the chance again.
Mr. Grace was surprisingly easy to talk to. He had an intimidating aura of stress about him, but once we got to talking, he and I talked at length about his life before 343. Very interesting man.

Also, I loved talking to Pete Stacker after the Universe panel. He blew my mind when he told me he was the voiceover for Comedy Central.

No Halo for me tonight, fellas. Hopefully I'll get in some time over the long weekend and see if anyone wants to do the Banshee run/Pelican flight in campaign. This old man needs his beauty sleep.

Havok

Are the Halofest panels not up on the Waypoint 360 app, or am I just blind (which is absolutely possible)? I wanted to watch the Anniversary Campaign panel in HD since I missed it, and I'd rather not suffer through it on my awful PC.

On a side note, that app has made quite a jump in quality since the last time I used it, maybe early last year. Much, much faster than I remember.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Mr. Grace was surprisingly easy to talk to. He had an intimidating aura of stress about him, but once we got to talking, he and I talked at length about his life before 343. Very interesting man.

Also, I loved talking to Pete Stacker after the Universe panel. He blew my mind when he told me he was the voiceover for Comedy Central.
Pete Stacker and Tim Dabado are both awesome guys. PAX Moment #3235: After my failed attempt to take part at the GAF Breakfast Duncan spotted me and we went to the convention hall. On the way Tim greeted us and asked if we knew when Bungie panel starts. It was an awesome moment. Right now I have the opinion everyone who works on Halo loves the franchise. <3

Btw. I sat with Tim and Pete Stacker in a cab. BEST GAMING MOMENT IN REAL LIFE EVER!

Ken

Is anyone going to be playing Halo in about 5 minutes?

Edit: Well, I'll be on MvC3. If anyone wants to play Halo send me an invite. GT: Chocopolka

Yeah it was pretty cool when Tim Dadabo recognized us on the street a day after the Universe panel. You could really tell he was excited to be at HaloFest, I got a kick out of the Guilty Spark pic he had ironed onto the back of his shirt.

PAX gave me a new perspective in 343 as a studio. I love that it's not just a studio of Halo fans. These are truly talented people who earned their place in the company.

Hearing their stories about getting in the industry made me realize I have many years in my life to get where I want to be, and that where I want to be is a job and not a company.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
What...the...this is on the level of the guy taking a picture with his stuffed Pikachu.

Tashi, I found the stickers, the gamepad one is mildly wrinkled, but the Bioshock one is mint. To be honest though, after reading your posts about liking bloom and AA's, I almost made a video of me ripping them up.
lol I've mentioned this to you guys a couple different times. I didn't take the yearbook seriously. Please forgive me.

kylej

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:

Never lost power. Boston/New Hampshire supremacy, bitch.

Trasher said:
lol I've mentioned this to you guys a couple different times. I didn't take the yearbook seriously. Please forgive me.

Don't feel bad. I was in such a teenage anti-establishment "fuck the system" rage all through highschool that I skipped every photo day and never entered a quote in the yearbook. There's literally nothing but a picture of a suitcase (like I was traveling) and an empty space above my name for people to remember me by. Such a dweeb move.

Never really understood why they distanced themselves so much from h1, when you consider people who've played all still list it as the most balanced and fun.

Also I was thinking about other FPSes I've played and compared to most of them, Halo is slow, which I'm not saying is a bad thing, it worked for the series. Reach however straight up stalls whether with bloom or AAs. I don't think anyone (other than Bungie apparently) wanted Halo to play any slower, it was perfect.

soldat7

J10 said:
We got some of this in the marketing leading up to the game's release with the live action commercials featuring Reach civilians. It would have been very cool to see it in the game instead. I generally don't like when game marketing doesn't show off the actual game. Live action shorts are cool to look at, but I'm not playing those.

Fix your avatar, junior.

soldat7

Never thought I'd say this, but I might go back to Halo 3. The beta was fantastic, I adore the campaign, but Reach multiplayer and matchmaking is a miserable pile of crud. Maybe Anniversary will bring me back. Melee, spawns, veto, Forge World maps, lack of new maps (that you can actually play)...it's utter misery.

So how is Halo 3 these days?

soldat7 said:
Never thought I'd say this, but I might go back to Halo 3. The beta was fantastic, I adore the campaign, but Reach multiplayer and matchmaking is a miserable pile of crud. Maybe Anniversary will bring me back. Melee, spawns, veto, Forge World maps, lack of new maps (that you can actually play)...it's utter misery.

Laggy as ever.

feel

soldat7 said:

Narrow/zoomed camera sucks in comparison to Reach's wide one, but other than that it's pretty fantastic as long as you're spawning with a BR, it's good old Halo fun and for now it's still finding games fast. Lag complaints are exagerated, I don't know about btb but most of the 4v4/5v5 games I play everyone is green bars and the bullets actually feel like they're doing damage and not just melting into the enemy's suits and disappearing like in Reach when there's a hint of lag.

Top Bottom