• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

The problem with any sort of ranked vs unranked dichotomy is that ranked will seem too serious to most, so they won't play it in favor of unranked. Thus making unranked a bigger population, but not set up with adequate matchmaking, plus overcrowded with guests and the like. Ranked will be full of mostly "serious" players.

Everything should be ranked (except Team Training see below). Period. It's the only way to ensure less quitting and better overall team playing. It should be done by W/L with some extra variable thrown in if you're an exceptional player constantly thrown on bad teams, like thee henery over there. There should be MM for groups and MM for solo players. Guests should be given one playlist and the priority should be to match guests with guests. Full teams of no guests should be thrown out. And that is the one playlist that shouldn't be ranked or go towards your overall stats, like Team Training kind of was.

Devolution said:
The problem with any sort of ranked vs unranked dichotomy is that ranked will seem too serious to most, so they won't play it in favor of unranked. Thus making unranked a bigger population, but not set up with adequate matchmaking, plus overcrowded with guests and the like. Ranked will be full of mostly "serious" players.

Everything should be ranked (except Team Training see below). Period. It's the only way to ensure less quitting and better overall team playing. It should be done by W/L with some extra variable thrown in if you're an exceptional player constantly thrown on bad teams, like thee henery over there. There should be MM for groups and MM for solo players. Guests should be given one playlist and the priority should be to match guests with guests. Full teams of no guests should be thrown out. And that is the one playlist that shouldn't be ranked or go towards your overall stats, like Team Training kind of was.
What you're essentially saying is that we can't give people a choice because they will choose to degrade matchmaking by avoiding the ranked lists. I agree, and I think Reach demonstrates this to an extent. But why not have the setup you describe without the incentive system being tied to rank? Is it really necessary?

HiredN00bs said:
What you're essentially saying is that we can't give people a choice because they will choose to degrade matchmaking by avoiding the ranked lists. I agree, and I think Reach demonstrates this to an extent. But why not have the setup you describe without the incentive system being tied to rank? Is it really necessary?

I've said before I think credits/vanity shit should be for playing games but ranking should be separated from those. So you'd essentially earn credits and be able to buy stuff but they'd have nothing to do with ranking. That way you're still incentivizing play through earning credits but they go to strictly to purchasing items, not your overall rank.

FyreWulff

Making Reach entirely ranked save one playlist would seem to contradict the virtual couch/socialness of the game, IMO. Call of Duty does fine with 100% "social" setup aswell. You have to remember that making a playlist ranked means the max party size becomes the team size.

Versus Halo Wars which is 100% ranked but it's also not a social game like Halo 2-Reach are.

I mean even MLG was offered Arena rankings and they turned them down.

I don't really understand the hate on guests. Guests in a game mean less boxes that need to communicate and therefore better latency during that session.

I would like to see them try a Team Mercenaries with Max Local and Max Party Size set to 1.

Halo 2 only had the ability to be ranked and disallow guests or be unranked and allow guests. Both variants had the same ELO-based skill matching, unranked just hid the number. DLC could only be required for a playlist or have it not show up at all.

Halo 3 has (had?) the ability to be ranked and not allow guests, unranked and allow guests, and restrict max party size. They were building off what they did in Halo 2 after all, and while the ranked system did it's job there were pitfalls such as playlist duplication (and it's cousin, population split) and the fact that turning splitting off increased search times dramatically. Both social and ranked used the same Trueskill matchmaking, Social playlists just hid the number. DLC could be made optional to a playlist and show up if all players had it without requiring it, but didn't attempt to match DLC owners.

Halo: Reach has the ability to allow guests, disallow guests, control max local players, control max party size, control if voting is visible, locked, or invisible to the other team, control whether if you can see who you're being matched up with, control skill strictness, control whether to max groups or not (called Big Party size), and show a rating all independent of each other. They've clearly evolved their systems to a point where they have a lot more ways to execute matchmaking than Halo 2 and Halo 3's limited systems could. All playlists use Trueskill matchmaking minus Halo 3's hill climb additions. The system can also be set to attempt to match DLC owners together.

MLG: Max local 2, Max party 4, No Guests Allowed, No Arena Rank

Squad Slayer: Max Local 4, Max Party 5, Guests Allowed, Big Party Restrictions apply to 4 and 5 player parties

Arena: Max local 2, Max Party 4, No Guests Allowed, Strict skill searching on, locked voting

Action Sack: Max Local 2, Max Party 8, Guests allowed, loose skill matching

This amount of flexibility in these 4 playlists alone did not exist in Halo 3.

edit: I kind of want locked voting introduced in more playlists though. Vote cycling gets annoying and tends to lag into a map/gametype with the least amount of votes winning.

Devolution said:
I've said before I think credits/vanity shit should be for playing games but ranking should be separated from those. So you'd essentially earn credits and be able to buy stuff but they'd have nothing to do with ranking. That way you're still incentivizing play through earning credits but they go to strictly to purchasing items, not your overall rank.
Displaying rank is an incentive system (even in the Arena), but making it visible in every playlist makes it the predominant incentive system. I just don't think that's necessary to implement your model, and I'm asking if you think it is, why is that?

FyreWulff said:
Halo: Reach has the ability to allow guests, disallow guests, control max local players, control max party size, control if voting is visible, locked, or invisible to the other team, control whether if you can see who you're being matched up with, control skill strictness, control whether to max groups or not (called Big Party size), and show a rating all independent of each other. They've clearly evolved their systems to a point where they have a lot more ways to execute matchmaking than Halo 2 and Halo 3's limited systems could. All playlists use Trueskill matchmaking minus Halo 3's hill climb additions. The system can also be set to attempt to match DLC owners together.

MLG: Max local 2, Max party 4, No Guests Allowed, No Arena Rank

Squad Slayer: Max Local 4, Max Party 5, Guests Allowed, Big Party Restrictions apply to 4 and 5 player parties

Arena: Max local 2, Max Party 4, No Guests Allowed, Strict skill searching on, locked voting

Action Sack: Max Local 2, Max Party 8, Guests allowed, loose skill matching

This amount of flexibility in these 4 playlists alone did not exist in Halo 3.
The playlist management at 343 Industries has a lot of tools at its disposal.

HiredN00bs said:
Displaying rank is an incentive system (even in the Arena), but making it visible in every playlist makes it the predominant incentive system. I just don't think that's necessary to implement your model, and I'm asking why you do.

To display the rank? I don't really care if it is or isn't. I just want to see something that makes more people give a general shit about playing better and staying in game. Right now we have a ranking system in which it doesn't matter since you can just farm other avenues (campaign/firefight) for credit and quitting games doesn't cut/negate any of your progress to a higher rank.

H3 had one thing right, you quit, you lose an EXP point. This coupled with MM banning would be best. I didn't care much about losing EXP points but I can assure you many others did since it wasn't like you could farm wins like you can farm credit in Reach. I just see the whole current system in Reach as the wrong way to get people to play and have fun.

Devolution said:
To display the rank? I don't really care if it is or isn't. I just want to see something that makes more people give a general shit about playing better and staying in game. Right now we have a ranking system in which it doesn't matter since you can just farm other avenues (campaign/firefight) for credit and quitting games doesn't cut/negate any of your progress to a higher rank.

H3 had one thing right, you quit, you lose an EXP point. This coupled with MM banning would be best. I didn't care much about losing EXP points but I can assure you many others did since it wasn't like you could farm wins like you can farm credit in Reach. I just see the whole current system in Reach as the wrong way to get people to play and have fun.

I have no idea why you don't lose credits if you quit.

Tawpgun

At my schools first home game (pre-season) and this was on the empty side of the rink.

LnFLH.png

Looks like The Dong House.

Made me lol.

Havok

FyreWulff said:
I don't really understand the hate on guests. Guests in a game mean less boxes that need to communicate and therefore better latency during that session.
Because guests are much more likely to be awful, awful players that the matchmaking system seemingly has no idea what to do with. If you've got a box of 4 on your team, best of luck, cause you aren't going to win 99% of the time.

I don't hate on guests but they really fuck trueskill up if you think about it. If you're matching with them a lot on the opposite team, you're practically boosting (if they're on your team you're getting deranked). That doesn't help the system.

Tawpgun

Devolution said:
I don't hate on guests but they really fuck trueskill up if you think about it. If you're matching with them a lot on the opposite team, you're practically boosting (if they're on your team you're getting deranked). That doesn't help the system.

What if you play with guests

philosoraptor.jpg

That are MLG Pros.

kylej

Banned
Booshka said:
Easiest day of Reach MM ever for me today, not one game was a challenge. The one game we thought was going to be competitive, they ended up rage quitting a couple minutes in. Got some cool plays, but nothing too interesting since everyone was walking in a straight line and playing like a moron.

Doesn't get much more boring than today. Could've shoved my controller up my ass and still gone positive in half our games.

Still waiting for that TrueSkill to even everything out!

A27 Tawpgun said:
What if you play with guests

philosoraptor.jpg

That are MLG Pros.

I played with some pals on a friend's account in Shotty/Snipers. Talk about making kids rage quit because the best scores were the guests.

kylej said:
Still waiting for that TrueSkill to even everything out!
TrueSkill can't match you with something that's not there. Remember when we searched in Arena? We couldn't even get a match. I'm sure there are people that play Reach that are close to your skill or my skill, but with all of the playlists the chance of searching at the same time and place as them is proving to be slim.

kylej

Banned
HiredN00bs said:
TrueSkill can't match you with something that's not there. Remember when we searched in Arena? We couldn't even get a match. I'm sure there are people that play Reach that are close to your skill or my skill, but with all of the playlists the chance of searching at the same time and place as them is proving to be slim.

There have to be people closer in skill to us than someone who has played 2 games of Reach. We got five or six Sergeants today. It's so boring. I know Reach is about two weeks away from having the $10 downloadable original Call of Duty port eclipsing it in online players but c'mon y'all.

OG2 got a stream. He's about to play the Sudds. Tune in to watch some kids get absolutely shit on. http://www.twitch.tv/ogre2

If they get goosed again I might die laughing.

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
I have no idea why you don't lose credits if you quit.

There's two reasons I can think of.

1) Derankers.

2) I talked about it here on HBO, but systems that remove EXP/cR/whatever are less effective the longer you play. To dissuade longtime players from doing it, you'd have to subtract a significant portion of their cR to make them feel the same hurt as newer players. At certain points you could be taking away up to a week or more of their cR just for lagging out of a game - and that wouldn't go over well.

kylej said:
There have to be people closer in skill to us than someone who has played 2 games of Reach. We got five or six Sergeants today. It's so boring. I know Reach is about two weeks away from having the $10 downloadable original Call of Duty port eclipsing it in online players but c'mon y'all.

OG2 got a stream. He's about to play the Sudds. Tune in to watch some kids get absolutely shit on. http://www.twitch.tv/ogre2

If they get goosed again I might die laughing.

Sudd 2 just dropped a -20 bomb.

FyreWulff said:
Joe Staten said the reason Truth was changed is that they felt people didn't trust him enough so him turning out to be a jerk wasn't the twist it was supposed to be.. and the Halo 3 actor is not a bad actor.. but damnit, the Halo 2 Truth voice just fit the character SO much better.

Regret's voice actor is great, but they can only use him in prequels like Halo Wars since they killed his character off :p
Don't you dare say a bad thing about Terence motherfucking Stamp. As soon as I heard the H3 promos I knew that getting General Zod as Truth was a correct and totally awesome choice.

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:
CoD Elite is looking good from what I hear.

Battlelog is looking good.

Waypoint better step up its game.
I am sure Waypoint will be built into Halo 4. Would be really awesome if there where the case

Booshka

Let's not worry about stat tracking in Halo 4, let's worry about wanting to play Halo 4. I don't give a shit about stat tracking if your game is fun to play.

FyreWulff

squidhands said:
Don't you dare say a bad thing about Terence motherfucking Stamp. As soon as I heard the H3 promos I knew that getting General Zod as Truth was a correct and totally awesome choice.

I wasn't saying anything bad abALL HAIL TERENCE STAMP

Fyrewulff, y u so good at Rock Band? I think I only best your scores on songs you rarely play on Bass!

Let's just be clear that many local players are fine as long as they have their own tags and guests are confusing for Trueskill and should be put in a box together.

wwm0nkey

Booshka said:
Let's not worry about stat tracking in Halo 4, let's worry about wanting to play Halo 4. I don't give a shit about stat tracking if your game is fun to play.
Speaking of Halo 4 I just realized we might get our first look in 2 months if they decide to show it at the VGAs :D

(Also hopefully we see Destiny too)

heckfu said:
oh i forgot, sorry! were you there?
Thankfully, no. I was tempted to buy a ticket, but I decided to visit my girlfriend instead. (Such a frustrating game. I turned it off during the 2nd quarter and went to bed.)

Edit: Supposedly, some guy was at the game cranked up on speed. The police went in to eject him from the stands because he was being obnoxious, and they had to tase and pepper spray him before they could arrest him. Awesome. The cops at UF just love to tase people. (Don't tase me, bro!)

Ramirez

Letters said:
people just call it update without title: "Actualizacion"

"Actualizacion de Titulo" would be the proper translation

85% Bloom + slowmovement/sprint/AAs.. yay!!

So, they release a ZBS custom gametype, but it's not even going to be in the MM hoppers?

FyreWulff said:

Christ.

Ramirez

Hydranockz said:
There will probably be a ZBS version of SWAT or something.

Really? I haven't been keeping up with anything Reach related the past few weeks, but to release a ZBS custom gametype, then exclude it from the voting options in the hoppers would be a real kick in the nuts.

Top Bottom