• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

GhaleonEB

Don't call it Halo Universe, makes it sound like discussion is about the lore and story.

It was just a term I used to mean broader Halo discussion. I'm open to any ideas.

Halo Universe |OT1|

HaloGAF Community |OT1|

Halo General Discussion Topic of Discussing All Things Halo |OT1|

That sort of thing.

I'm also VERY MEEPO!!!!!!!

feel

RE: Halo Universe thread:

There it is.

Commence arguing about thread titles.

Good job on the pm Ghal.

I'd call the new OT just "Halo", short and to the point, leaving tons of room for bigger subtitles, which I'd vote for the first edition to stay without.

just

Halo |OT|

edit-
Didn't see your post before sugesting the same Tashi :)

Seriously, I don't see anything wrong with Halo Universe. Look, anybody who's a huge Halo MP fan or new will gravitate toward the only active Halo thread. Yeah, it may look like it's about the story and the lore, but as the only active Halo thread, people will visit it regardless, and they'll see it's not about those two things only.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
HaloGAF |OT| Discussion Devolved

HaloGAF |OT| There are those who said this thread would never come. What are they to say now?

HaloGAF |OT| Something on your mind?

HaloGAF |OT| Keep your head down, there's two of us in here now.

HaloGAF |OT| We exist together now, two corpses in one grave.

MrBig

Just want to say that Marty's magic is so damn good

e: also I haven't played AC:R since I played through that first base defense thing.

Have a teeny tiny progress picture of my warm up sculpt so far.

qBn3P.jpg

Why are you doing a hard surface base in zbrush?

Seems silly to do hard surface work in zbrush doesn't it? However with newer versions it's faster, just as precise, and more detailed as zbrush is capable of pushing a lot of polys. I can break down the workflow for you if you're interested.

MrBig

Seems silly to do hard surface work in zbrush doesn't it? However with newer versions it's faster, just as precise, and more detailed as zbrush is capable of pushing a lot of polys. I can break down the workflow for you if you're interested.

I've seen what people have done with the new tools, but it still seemed silly to not at least make the base mesh in max and build upon that in zbrush. Especial with something like armour. What you have now looks really organic and not as if its hard, formed metal. Although my use of zbrush is limited to nothing but sketches, so my view doesn't really mean much.

I've seen what people have done with the new tools, but it still seemed silly to not at least make the base mesh in max and build upon that in zbrush. Especial with something like armour. What you have now looks really organic and not as if its hard, formed metal. Although my use of zbrush is limited to nothing but sketches, so my view doesn't really mean much.

Base meshes started to be easier in zbrush with the advent of z-spheres, and that workflow became even more obsolete with the introduction of dynamesh, which is a constantly adaptive mesh that maintains evenly spaced quads no matter what you do to the mesh. It does look very organic right now, so I'm hammering away with the trim-adaptive brush and d-standard to define harder edges and shapes.

However that sculpted feel will persist until I redo a basic topology over that mesh, produce an adaptive skin from that, crease it (much like adding edge loops in max) and sub-d. This allows me to also separate the armored plates from each other into more subtools, allowing my polycount to sky-rocket for further detailing. By the time I'm done you won't be able to tell which program it was made in.

EDIT: The reason I'm sticking to this workflow for this project is because I've done hard surface modeling in 3ds max for years, and with these new developments I feel like there is going to be an industry wide shift in what hard surface modelers use. I see it slowly happening all over the dev forums, around CGsociety, and even DeviantArt. It's not just a more artistic workflow but it's faster and is even viable for developing assets for games with more efficiency.

Also the reason why I'm doing this on Halo material, primarily from Issac Hannaford's concepts, is because in the near future I'd like to apply to work at Bungie and 343(although they seem to be filled with veterans I'm not so easily deterred)

MrBig

EDIT: The reason I'm sticking to this workflow for this project is because I've done hard surface modeling in 3ds max for years, and with these new developments I feel like there is going to be an industry wide shift in what hard surface modelers use. I see it slowly happening all over the dev forums, around CGsociety, and even DeviantArt. It's not just a more artistic workflow but it's faster and is even viable for developing assets for games with more efficiency.

Also the reason why I'm doing this on Halo material, primarily from Issac Hannafords concepts, is because in the near future I'd like to apply to work at Bungie and 343(although they seem to be filled with veterans I'm not so easily deterred)

Yeah, I can see why that can be very lucrative. I love seeing changes like this and subd taking over so rapidly

I'd love to work at Bungie or 343, but I got a long way to go before that can be an option :lol for now they're just an inspiration for me to do more work

Yeah, I can see why that can be very lucrative. I love seeing changes like this and subd taking over so rapidly

I'd love to work at Bungie or 343, but I got a long way to go before that can be an option :lol for now they're just an inspiration for me to do more work

This industry moves so fast, but that's the best part, always having something to learn is great. Some consider it a threat to their respective studies but it's a blessing, it would be boring if it was always the same.

Bungie put up a Hard Surface Modeler position which I can't resist, big fan of the studio and it's my passion. I love doing this king of stuff, it's been 8 years of my life and I never want to stop learning it or see where it goes.

If you need assistance in learning modeling, texturing, material building, rendering, lighting, or rigging, let me know.

This industry moves so fast, but that's the best part, always having something to learn is great. Some consider it a threat to their respective studies but it's a blessing, it would be boring if it was always the same.

Bungie put up a Hard Surface Modeler position which I can't resist, big fan of the studio and it's my passion. I love doing this king of stuff, it's been 8 years of my life and I never want to stop learning it or see where it goes.

If you need assistance in learning modeling, texturing, material building, rendering, lighting, or rigging, let me know.

Zero experience, any advice?

Zero experience, any advice?

To start? If you're a college student Autodesk offers their software for free, if that isn't the case you can trial software such as 3d studio max, maya, and photoshop, or go for freeware like blender. Zbrush has a full feature trial that is very much worth looking at and playing around with. Join communities such as 3D Total, CG Society, and deviantArt to gain various view points on your progress and to be exposed to different techniques.

The best thing to do when you first open up a new program is to play with it, try everything that catches your eye and explore, fool around with as much as possible so everything looks a little less foreign and strange. When you're satisfied with that, look for a tutorial that looks like it would be something you'd want to learn. If you have any questions or need direction towards specific goals or tutorials let me know by sending a PM.

I started just because I was curious with what some people were doing with halo 1 assets in 3d studio max, and that curiosity persists today.

You should check to see if there are tutorials for those programs on lynda.com.

Pretty much the Khan Academy of 3D (and other computer software) from what I hear, I have no experience with it those tutorials however so I can't give a proper review, all I can say is look for more than one way to do something.

MrBig

To start? If you're a college student Autodesk offers their software for free, if that isn't the case you can trial software such as 3d studio max, maya, and photoshop, or go for freeware like blender. Zbrush has a full feature trial that is very much worth looking at and playing around with. Join communities such as 3D Total, CG Society, and deviantArt to gain various view points on your progress and to be exposed to different techniques.

The best thing to do when you first open up a new program is to play with it, try everything that catches your eye and explore, fool around with as much as possible so everything looks a little less foreign and strange. When you're satisfied with that, look for a tutorial that looks like it would be something you'd want to learn. If you have any questions or need direction towards specific goals or tutorials let me know by sending a PM.

I started just because I was curious with what some people were doing with halo 1 assets in 3d studio max, and that curiosity persists today.

Being familiar with the UI of whatever program you're using is one of the most important things. Photoshop, Max, and zBrush quite literally have hundreds to thousands of tools and options each to use in just a few clicks.

Definitely join up at Polycount or any of the communities he listed.

I started in arts with Halo as well. I got Halo PC back in 2004 and started making skins for stuff in Gimp. That slumped off after a while but I got a tablet a couple years ago and now I'm planning on going to college for it and am doing stuff like this

Iv had a bit of texture experience before for various games.

But its mostly been retexture work, i know photoshop like the back of my hand so ill grab the zbrush trail and 3ds max tomorow and see how i get on.

Hard surface work in Zbrush 4r2 is actually very straight forward and simple. There's a couple Eat 3D videos that explain a great workflow that you can buy. Still, comparing Zbrush hard-surface to traditional hard-surface done in Maya and 3DS Max is like comparing apples to oranges. They are completely separate workflows and usually yield very different looking results.

Also, to DcLevartho, are the shoulder pads a different subtool? Or is this just a dynamesh type sketch thing? It looks like they are connected to the torso right now. Are you going to build a low-poly mesh and bake down? What type of presentation are you going for? I'm sorry if these questions have already been answered.

Top Bottom