Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Sep 28, 2007
2,986
0
0
D:
Ajemsuhgao said:
Please scroll up this page and read my previous post.

Or actually, here, I'll make it easy:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19468017&postcount=8828
put me in the group of people with perfect eyesight that doesn't notice this type of stuff when playing.
but i also dont notice screen tearing (unless its really bad) or the see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps (unless i switch from the high immediately to the low then i notice it for about 2 min).
 
infinityBCRT said:
On a 26" 1920x1200 monitor right now but have another 360 hooked up to my 46" DLP. I can't stand the stretching at 1920x1080 on a 16:10 monitor. I play in 1650x1050 (which isn't really a loss of resolution considering most games are 720p).

Obviously glasses aren't needed for my monitor but I definitely need to use 'em while playing on my 46".
The stretching bothers me when I'm playing games on the PC. That is actually noticeable, but this? No.
With the terrible image quality I'm getting the stretching is the least of my worries so it really doesn't bother me too much at all.
I've thought about changing to 1680x1050 a few times and indeed did but I find it very jarring to go from using my PC to my 360 and to be shoved into a letterbox.
I'll take the slight stretch over the horrible black bands any day. :)
 
Jul 27, 2007
2,968
0
0
Santa Ana, CA
vhfive said:
put me in the group of people with perfect eyesight that doesn't notice this type of stuff when playing.
but i also dont notice screen tearing (unless its really bad) or the see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps (unless i switch from the high to the low then i notice it for about 2 min).
I rarely notice screen tearing, unless it's really bad like you said. 30fps and 60 fps is noticeable in some games, but I really don't care if a game runs at one or the other.
 
Jun 2, 2008
8,304
0
0
DiabolicalBagel said:
The stretching bothers me when I'm playing games on the PC. That is actually noticeable, but this? No.
With the terrible image quality I'm getting the stretching is the least of my worries so it really doesn't bother me too much at all.
I've thought about changing to 1680x1050 a few times and indeed did but I find it very jarring to go from using my PC to my 360 and to be shoved into a letterbox.
I'll take the slight stretch over the horrible black bands any day. :)
Guess you aren't a movie freak then :p, because those people really value Original Aspect Ratio w/black bands over a cropped image without black bands when watching a movie. I probably tend more towards that side as well. I have 4:3 content as 4:3 on my HDTV instead of stretched like most people do.
 
Jun 7, 2004
77,909
2
0
Oregon
vhfive said:
put me in the group of people with perfect eyesight that doesn't notice this type of stuff when playing.
I've played a whole lotta Halo 3 as well, and I usually only notice jaggies in screenshots; in game I notice the profile of large objects in the distance when I focus on them. I do notice the lack of AF though. But not often. :\
 
Dec 26, 2006
32,007
0
1,035
www.bigblueinteractive.com
vhfive said:
put me in the group of people with perfect eyesight that doesn't notice this type of stuff when playing.
but i also dont notice screen tearing (unless its really bad) or the see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps (unless i switch from the high immediately to the low then i notice it for about 2 min).
My eyesight is far from perfect, but I notice things from the layouts themselves. I personally have no issue with the enemies or vehicles, but when playing Sandtrap, for instance, the big hills of sand shows up, as do the blocks. The jaggies aren't a huge issue, but they are things that show up and shouldn't be happening as much in a game like Halo. Did not have this reaction to Halo: CE or Halo 2 ever if I can recall correctly.

Hoping they can adjust or fix it thoroughly in Reach.
 
Dec 22, 2006
193
0
0
AwesomeSyrup said:
I wish my eyesight was good enough for me to notice all these things you guys are talking about.

It's not so much about eyesight, but perception: what you've trained your eyes to look for. Aliasing, lack of AF, etc.

wanna know what I see when I look at the nightime screenshots we got, even the Bungie-released ones?

Fucking Banding. bothers the HELL out of me. I can't unsee it. I look at that moon and want to gouge out my eyes.

'course, numerous other games are also guilty, and it bothers the hell out of me there too. But not enough people notice it that I can count on it going away in games. =/
 
Jul 27, 2007
2,968
0
0
Santa Ana, CA
DragoNZ DZ said:
It's not so much about eyesight, but perception: what you've trained your eyes to look for. Aliasing, lack of AF, etc.

wanna know what I see when I look at the nightime screenshots we got, even the Bungie-released ones?

Fucking Banding. bothers the HELL out of me. I can't unsee it. I look at that moon and want to gouge out my eyes.

'course, numerous other games are also guilty, and it bothers the hell out of me there too. But not enough people notice it that I can count on it going away in games. =/
I think AF and banding are far more nitpicky than AA. Something that lacks AA hits you in the face. Banding you wouldn't really notice unless you were looking for it, and AF is noticeable sometimes, but normally isn't a big deal.
 
I am sure this has been talked about but this thread has been moving at break neck speeds so I haven't been able to keep up. Is it looking like the BR will be absent from the game? I haven't seen it in any of the screens which is suspicious. I don't see a problem with this because the DMR seems to be the weapon all the BR kids are looking for but I was just curious.
 

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Aug 7, 2007
11,493
0
0
Washington
Captain Blood said:
I am sure this has been talked about but this thread has been moving at break neck speeds so I haven't been able to keep up. Is it looking like the BR will be absent from the game? I haven't seen it in any of the screens which is suspicious. I don't see a problem with this because the DMR seems to be the weapon all the BR kids are looking for but I was just curious.
The Halo: Reach Edge magazine said that Bungie's not keen on leaving "the trusty BR out".
 
infinityBCRT said:
Guess you aren't a movie freak then :p, because those people really value Original Aspect Ratio w/black bands over a cropped image without black bands when watching a movie. I probably tend more towards that side as well. I have 4:3 content as 4:3 on my HDTV instead of stretched like most people do.
Actually, I can't stand watching movies in the wrong aspect ratio but for some reason with Halo it just doesn't bother me.
Probably because of this...

This is what Halo 3 turns into when you're sitting too close to a screen that is too big:







I should be a concept artist.
 
Oct 26, 2005
1,741
0
0
Ajemsuhgao said:
Why?

Because, up close enemies look like this:



Which isn't terrible. It's kind of ugly, sure, but it's acceptable.

The farther away they get, the worse they look. From ~25 feet away(in game...), they look like low res sprites.
It's probably my TV, I've got a KURO plasma, but this is not my experience. I've noticed very little in the way of aliasing. IQ improvements, to me, will mean very little.
 
Jul 27, 2007
2,968
0
0
Santa Ana, CA
gibonez said:


The elite on the right is so epic. Looks menacing, vicious and above all scary.

I don't like the look of the Halo Wars Elite at all. The sword was nice looking, but the Elites themselves looked like big bulky boring chracters. The Elites have always been described as agile, cunning, and strong. Not bulky, weirdly-shaped, with generic sharp teeth and red eyes to signify that they are in fact evil.

DD-11 said:
It's probably my TV, I've got a KURO plasma, but this is not my experience. I've noticed very little in the way of aliasing. IQ improvements, to me, will mean very little.
It is your TV. Halo 3 does look good on some HD sets. But others, especially LCD, it's...pretty bad.
 
Jul 27, 2007
2,968
0
0
Santa Ana, CA
gibonez said:
It might just be the armor. The armor on the elites in the halo games is too bright and flamboyant. The Elites from Halo wars however are very wide and look extremely muscular. The cinematics in Halo Wars also raised their badassery tenfold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWaf8CVS6cg

The arbiter just looks much better with that body type.

I like how the arbiter can lift the sergeant up with one hand, but the sergeant can somehow hold the arbiter's arm down with one hand, while shooting a gun with the other.
 
Dec 26, 2006
32,007
0
1,035
www.bigblueinteractive.com
gibonez said:
It might just be the armor. The armor on the elites in the halo games is too bright and flamboyant. The Elites from Halo wars however are very wide and look extremely muscular. The cinematics in Halo Wars also raised their badassery tenfold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWaf8CVS6cg

The arbiter just looks much better with that body type.
That is an awesome scene.

Reach's Elites seem to be going back to the Halo: CE fold, and that is an easy thumbs up from me. The mysterious, menacing, and intelligent beasts they are; does not hurt they've been the most fun enemies I've faced in the series, by far (Halo: CE Elites).
 
Dec 12, 2008
4,701
0
0
DancingJesus said:
Quick question, is this the new grunt because the one I saw in GameInformer looked a lot different. Maybe they didn't implement it yet?

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/ReachCampaign_m30_InteriorBattle.jpg
Nah, that's an all new model of the standard Grunt. The main difference is that their tanks are now rounded and have glowing bits.
I'm pretty sure the new "keg Grunt" is the one in this shot, but you can't really take a good look at it, because it's being murdered.
 
Dec 12, 2008
4,701
0
0
gibonez said:
http://i47.tinypic.com/mu7ar.jpg

Tell me that is not cooler than the elites in game. Broad shoulders and the extra weight suits the arbiter.
That is not cooler than the elites in game.

I'm slowly starting to like the gorilla elites from Halo Wars, but this design is silly. It looks like it belongs in a fantasy game. A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fantasy game.
 
Apr 7, 2006
10,108
0
0
Flipyap said:
That is not cooler than the elites in game.

I'm slowly starting to like the gorilla elites from Halo Wars, but this design is silly. It looks like it belongs in a fantasy game. A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fantasy game.
Sounds like they'd fit in nicely with the Brutes and the Scavengers.
 
Nov 1, 2006
2,615
0
0
Canada
Blueblur1 said:


For those of you that were unimpressed by the environment shots such as this one that Bungie's Vic DeLeon worked on, here you go:



http://twitter.com/vicdeleon/status/8203605212
Cool. He also replied to the following:

Q: will we see some real grass in Reach? or only this flat textures?! i hope not^^

A: there will be REAL GRASS silly! These are pre-alpha shots :)

Q: env is already looking really nice but can we expect some polish on the textures and a little more defined shapes?

A: Ummm YES!

Q: More wavy grass, a la VGA trailer opening :) trees affected by wind too would be nice.

A: ok!
 
Mar 14, 2007
27,892
0
0
i hope the grass actually appears in reach. in halo 3 you would only see it a few meters around you, then LOD would kick in and any further would be the ugly floor textures making the grass ultimately pointless.
 
Jan 6, 2010
2,594
0
0
gibonez said:


Tell me that is not cooler than the elites in game. Broad shoulders and the extra weight suits the arbiter.
This shit is awesome. Never played Halo Wars, but I always wished for a more frightening Covenant, can't stand the cartoon feeling.

I absolutely hate how Bungie does their mountains =(
Same. I wish they'd broaden everything a little instead.
 
Dec 22, 2006
193
0
0
Ajemsuhgao said:
I think AF and banding are far more nitpicky than AA. Something that lacks AA hits you in the face. Banding you wouldn't really notice unless you were looking for it, and AF is noticeable sometimes, but normally isn't a big deal.
Unfortunately, I didn't have to even look for it to come to my attention. Nevertheless, aliasing is still the largest issue, by quite a margin.

BTW, I like Reach's mountains. So many of the choices, visually, scream Halo: CE and I fully embrace their return. I don't care how unrealistic they look. :D

Oh, and the Halo Wars elites look stupid. The same kind of stupid that Brick in Borderlands fits. Pencil-thin waist supporting a tank-turret torso. (hmmmm.....)
 
Apr 23, 2007
12,311
3
0
Grass? Yes, my life is saved!

Seriously, though. It's promising. Foliage can save even the blandest environment.

Age of Conan looks like shit if you turn grass off.
 
Jul 27, 2007
2,968
0
0
Santa Ana, CA
Truant said:
Fuck brutes. They're the worst thing to happen to Halo. Boring, bland, ugh.

Elites 4 lyfe.

At least they introduced interesting weapons. I loved the brute shot in Halo 2, and the spiker looks awesome.



LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL WEAPON. God damn.

Brutes weren't the worst thing to happen to Halo. Drones were the completely unnecessary enemies. Glad they've been replaced with Skirmishers.