• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Sai-kun

Banned
blazinglazers said:
So good, and so excited for team/class objective based Halo multi.

And that music was sci-fi hotness too!

Oh god. The music was awesome. It's from Halo 2 somewhere. I don't remember what song though :D

Not a Jellyfish said:
Don't know but the other death animations shown in the vid (especially via melee and not just the assinations) look considerably better than previous games in the franchise.

You got a point there.

Well, though it looks odd indeed, that waving-hand death is now a steeple for the series.

But since everything is going for more variety throughout, I'd like new death animations.

Flipyap

That tank turret Elite cracks me up. The new neck makes him look like a regular dude wearing a mask. So goofy.

24wvpyu.jpg

Regular HUGE dude, that is.

broony

There seems to be a few different invasion modes.

One is Invasion where the score is 2 - 0. The film shows someone blowing up a banshee and the score does not increase, so there must be some sort of ojective as well as it being human vs covie.

The other is Invasion Slayer where the score is 37 -28 which would suggest a more traditional TDM with oposing species.

I hope each species is different in their abilities as it seems they might be.

derFeef

metareferential said:
You got a point there.

Well, though it looks odd indeed, that waving-hand death is now a steeple for the series.

But since everything is going for more variety throughout, I'd like new death animations.
Yup. They are rigid and look pre-animated. Simple ragdoll would do the trick I think. Would also look better if you explode. Now its like it does not matter where something explodes on you, you are just waving hands.

Woaw

2iucp60.jpg

First strike?
killed with [insert weapon here]?
New medals?

It scares me how excited/confused I get about small changes, but I guess for most people like me that's just Halo. Not too sure about the jetpacks just yet, but I really should put my head back together first.

NG28

Does ODST come in two discs? And if so which one grants access to the beta? I don't want to buy used and only get the one disc I don't need for the beta.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
NG28 said:
Does ODST come in two discs? And if so which one grants access to the beta? I don't want to buy used and only get the one disc I don't need for the beta.
Yes 2 discs.

Campaign/Firefight disc is the one you want.

user_nat said:
*snap*

Best part.

No shields, low health... NO RED SCREEN.
Yes, yes, yes! Thank you, Bungie! I am so tired of the red screen. It's been way over done, and I've come to really hate it.

Reach looks really good. It also looks a lot different from Halo 3, but still the same. This video raises a lot more questions, too. Headhunter - some sort of variant of Oddball? Active Roster? Loadouts (well, we can probably guess what that means)? Invasion? The Arena?

- There's a new Covenant weapon at 0:50. Looks like an anti-vehicle weapon from the way the guy used it.
- Looks like another new Covenant weapon at 1:20.
- The AR looks awesome. Range seems to have been increased.
- Pistol looks good as well.

Bungieware said:
killed with [insert weapon here]?
Looks like it reads "killed _______ with grenades."

Flipyap

The concept is cool, but I really don't like the jetpack design. It looks really tacked on.
I think it would look nicer, if it matched the base color of your armor. It especially sticks out in team gametype shots.

Wow, remember when there was debate about landing with more weight after a jump to improve the look of the character physics? Look at 1:28...his knees collapse briefly when he hits the ground!

Tashi0106 said:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/tashi0106/holdx.png[/IMG

Halo 2 default set up? BXR Confirmed!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]
I know you're joking about the BXR part, but it's cool to see Bunge including more control schemes. Though, I hope it's just more than one addition.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Wow, remember when there was debate about landing with more weight after a jump to improve the look of the character physics? Look at 1:28...his knees collapse briefly when he hits the ground!

I noticed that... and for a second I could have sworn I saw the metal underneath him flex upon landing

4p6s4.jpg

NOKYARD

Are you guys sending physic messages to my dog?

He woke me up to go out. First time in like, forever. Of course i had to check out this thread on the way by…

Jetpacks!!! been waiting to use another one of those since an old n64(?) Star Wars game. :D

Bravo, Bungie, Bravo!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That seems like it is most likely when you jump off a high ledge or come to a landing from your jetpack.

broony

When the generator is blown up there is two bars in the the bottom right for 'A' and '.C'. C is blown up in to footage and the bar disapears. I would assume that there was a 'B' earlier in the match.

So it's an objective gametype where the aim is to blow up and destroy generators. Kind of a mix between territories and bomb. Or Battlefield Bad company 2.

Matty McDee

Neo Member
NOKYARD said:
Are you guys sending physic messages to my dog?

He woke me up to go out. First time in like, forever. Of course i had to check out this thread on the way by…

Jetpacks!!! been waiting to use another one of those since an old n64(?) Star Wars game. :D

Bravo, Bungie, Bravo!
I can make dog's bladders swell with my mind.... fortunately this power has come with great success.

Falagard

Well, we know what weapon made the mystery sound back when the weapon sounds were released.

New anti-vehicle weapon at 50 seconds.

HOLY FUCK!

This game looks fucking incredible...

I cannot believe how blown away I am... I was expecting something awesome, and this just completely blew me away.

I don't even know what to say....

incredible...

I need this game.

Also so what is the deal with it being on youtube with a crazy name... Is this sort of a leak in someways? I am confused about that :\.

Personal bubble shield at 0:26 is awesome. Looks exactly like the shield he threw up in the Halo 3 Trailer

120px-Avatars_Halo_Halo3_Shield.jpg

I need this game immediately...

chapel

Banned
The standard death animation seems like it is varied or even ragdolled but based on what happened. Like getting shot in the head makes a guy spin in the opposite direction he was shot from. Can't wait for more in depth analysis.

Was this a leak, or was it intentional?

Also, completely blown away by this. Love it. Cannot wait!

Falagard

Devin Olsen said:
HOLY FUCK!

I cannot believe how blown away I am... I was expecting something awesome, and this just completely blew me away.

incredible...

I need this game.

Also so what is the deal with it being on youtube with a crazy name... Is this sort of a leak in someways? I am confused about that :\.

Personal bubble shield at 0:26 is awesome. Looks exactly like the shield he threw up in the Halo 3 Trailer

It's a leak.

I missed the personal bubble shield and the fact that the Spartan goes into the pose from the original Halo 3 CG trailer, that's awesome :-D Thanks for pointing that out, I thought it was just a bunch of explosions until I looked closer.

chapel

Banned
Dax01 said:
Headhunter - some sort of variant of Oddball?
Looks almost exactly like Ut3's mode. Where you kill someone and collect their skull, you can accumulate them and if someone kills you, they drop like you were sonic and his rings. They can then collect them and add to theirs. In UT3 it showed who at the most, and made them more valuable and easier to find targets, but you also got benefits if I remember correctly. Oh and to score you had to bring the skulls to a certain checkpoint, usually in your base iirc.

I loved Tribes, so it really gave me a good vibe to see the jetpacks. I really am curious how they will play. It does give it a more vertical feel which halo seemed to always have but this increases it so much more. It also gives players more variation in how they want to play, so it isn't always the same vanilla halo anymore.

Kibbles

OMG if anyone says this is more of the same... :d

also "spartans vs elites" is one of the new modes. Yess.

I'm viewing from my iPod so I can't see any sexy details. Has anyone translated that taiwan page it came from?

broony

chapel said:
Looks almost exactly like Ut3's mode. Where you kill someone and collect their skull, you can accumulate them and if someone kills you, they drop like you were sonic and his rings. They can then collect them and add to theirs. In UT3 it showed who at the most, and made them more valuable and easier to find targets, but you also got benefits if I remember correctly.

Yeah I noticed in the video where he kills someone they have '8' over their head and the score is 8-0. Then when he dies he drops the skulls.

also "spartans vs elites" is one of the new modes. Yess.

Im thinking that is like an umbrella statement rather than a specific gamemode. So you have spartans vs elite game modes and then arena game modes where it is traditional spartan vs spartan.

Louis Wu @ HBO said:
The full version (true 720p, not this overcompressed thing) will be up at Bungie.net in just a few hours. What's out there is out there - but do yourself a favor and grab the uncompressed goodness once it hits B.net. .

eggandI

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
HOLY FUCK!

incredible...

I need this game.

Wow I missed the bubble shield part. That's awesome. I was pissed at how shitty Halo 3's bubble shield actually was compared to the one in the commercial.

I hope elites actually have different abilities than the Spartans/play differently.

chapel

Banned
eggandI said:
Wow I missed the bubble shield part. That's awesome. I was pissed at how shitty Halo 3's bubble shield actually was compared to the one in the commercial.

I hope elites actually have different abilities than the Spartans/play differently.
Looking at the bubbleshield thing, when he activated it right before the ghost ran him over, it actually deflected the ghost and made it flip. I wonder if it could make a tank stop?

Dabanton

Kibbles said:
OMG if anyone says this is more of the same... :d

You know an attention seeker will say it sometime today.

Also does general player movement seem more fast to anyone else?

I really like it.

Dabanton said:
You know an attention seeker will say it sometime today.

Also does general player movement seem more fast to anyone else?

I really like it.

Maybe it's just the motion blur or the better framerate, who knows.

If this turns out to be running at 60 fps people will freak out :lol

iSimon

Anyone else not 100% sure it's a shield.

If you watch it in slow motion it looks like he bends down, charges up then releases a blast of energy.

16918054.jpg

19743785.jpg

26764910.jpg

58743213.jpg

15929149.jpg

Kibbles

chapel said:
The standard death animation seems like it is varied or even ragdolled but based on what happened. Like getting shot in the head makes a guy spin in the opposite direction he was shot from. Can't wait for more in depth analysis.

Was this a leak, or was it intentional?

Also, completely blown away by this. Love it. Cannot wait!
I think someone just broke embargo, it should be on bnet sometime today I would assume.

chapel

Banned
iSimon said:
Anyone else not 100% sure it's a shield.

If you watch it in slow motion it looks like he bends down, charges up then releases a blast of energy.
Interesting, though I think the explosion is from a sticky nade, if you watch that part, it makes the sticky noise and then the explosion.

Top Bottom