• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

I understand the preference for head-shot capable weapons, because you always want to reward players for being more skillful. But I still think there's a place for automatic weapons in Halo.

Thats why I think the AR should have an advantage over the pistol within AR range. At the very edge of AR range and into mid-range, sure, give the pistol the advantage. Let AR users protect themselves using burst fire. Obviously, a skillful pistol shooter will win the day, but a burst-firing AR user should still be able to protect themselves and potentially win the battle, ESPECIALLY if they're able to maneuver the battle closer, into AR range.

If the pistol always has the advantage, they may as well leave out the AR and just give players Pistol/DMR starts.

Frags having a bigger radius is exactly what I felt was missing since Halo 1, they felt quite puny since and required someone to actually be standing on it to kill them. I am also happy that nade spam will be less in this too, I favour a single strong grenade over multiple weaker ones.

big ander

Dax01 said:
Wait... the new season of RvB is up? Cause I want to watch it!
Hostile Paradox said:
Gentlemen, in some Halo related news, I bring you the PAX EAST Red Vs. Blue exclusive (for now) clip.... ignore the laughing.

If you cannot ignore the laughter, blame Blueblur, vhfive, and vhone.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EMRNOI8K

158MB

Hope you enjoy :D
As Steve said, seems it's temporarily unavailable. Lurkers DLing it too much maybe?
Unfortunately, the direct feed of the episodes doesn't start until Thursday. Also, that's the first 3 episodes right there, so we now have to wait 3 weeks to see
who stops Maine/Meta.
ZayneH said:
Yeah, though, it was a good season.
same here

We might want to make a RvB thread, or something.
I've thought about it, but I've had two main reservations:
1) Gaming or OT?
2) Does anybody still watch it? :lol
But I'd be all for putting up a thread, or helping you do it.

EazyB

Banned
dslgunstar said:
If the pistol always has the advantage, they may as well leave out the AR and just give players Pistol/DMR starts.
Being a newer member I must've simply underestimated how dense you are but I'll copy/paste my response to this as many times as it takes to get you to understand how Reach could benefit from a weaker AR's place in the sandbox:

Because the pistol is only better if you're really good at landing precision shots and with toned down auto-aim it'll be harder to do that than ever. If I had my way there wouldn't be any spray and pray weapons in Halo. Then again, if I had my way my girlfriend and the millions of other casual Halo players would get extremely frustrated at how hard it is to take someone down with the pistol.

With a AR that is almost always worse than the pistol it's like they're effectively taking it out of highly competitive gameplay. I get what I want. But to the million that wouldn't be able to take down someone as fast with the pistol, they can spray away with the AR and if MM is doing its job than the people they're playing against are also spraying away with their ARs until they meet in a glorious simultaneous beatdown.

They get their approachable, noob-friendly gameplay, and I don't have to worry about something being rewarded for spraying like a madman while I'm laying down skillfully placed bullets from my magnum.

Chances are the AR will be more powerful than this and folks like you who want to be disproportionally rewarded for spray and pray will be able to outgun pistol users most of the time at really close ranges. But even if Bungie hears my prayers and that isn't the case, the AR serves a vital purpose.

dslgunstar said:
Thats why I think the AR should have an advantage over the pistol within AR range.
I'm not sure you're looking at this the right way.

The AR does have the advantage because it's much easier to use and be effective with it at close range. The pistol will be only have a chance in the hands of great player.

Hey Dax,

Being a newer member I still don't quite understand it. Why the pistol is the new BR? You are saying I should exchange my AR for any other weapon now to avoid disappointment... right? Could you please enlighten me again and again?

Cheers,
A Junior

jk :p

Nutter

I hear Cocop is giving MS employees AR lessons for free. I am sure he would help out fellow gaffers on being a pro with the AR.

Oozer3993 said:
"After you kill them with the AR just keep firing into their corpse, you know, really rub it in." :lol

Oh my god, someone did that to me recently. Got matched against a second accounter on Narrows, and every time he killed me he'd empty his AR in my corpse. It was kind of funny, and a little bit humiliating.

Pennybags

Shake Appeal said:
Sage truly is the great bearded hope.
oKorf.jpg

I never took to watching RvB much. I should have a marathon session on Waypoint one of these days.

The effects stuff in the new episode blew my mind.

EazyB said:
Being a newer member I must've simply underestimated how dense you are but I'll copy/paste my response to this as many times as it takes to get you to understand how Reach could benefit from a weaker AR's place in the sandbox.

I already understood your personal position regarding the assault rifle and its place in the sandbox. There are other opinions in play though.

Repeat yourself as much as you see fit.

I really enjoyed the podcast yesterday. Lots of hot and juicy information loaded into that thing.

All the info about the weapons sounds really nice. Glad to hear about the pistol. I have to say, I like the way the Grenade Launcher works. I really like the "alt fire" that it has. I can see that adding to gameplay in a lot of ways. I really hope the emp effect disable jetpacks. :lol

So, another podcast this week? That should be really nice. I wonder what info will be talked about this week. Whatever it may be I hope we get some new pictures alongside the update.

big ander

Since HaloGAF is the only place in Gaming I go:
what's up with XBL? Hyrb's twitter says there may still be problems purchasing. My little brother tried to redeem a 1600 space point code, and it said "the card was not activated at the store, call them." We called and went back to Best Buy, they said it was something wrong on MSs end, and then gave us a new card. The new card says the same thing. Is it just the screwy Live right now?

big ander said:
what's up with XBL? Hyrb's twitter says there may still be problems purchasing. My little brother tried to redeem a 1600 space point code, and it said "the card was not activated at the store, call them." We called and went back to Best Buy, they said it was something wrong on MSs end, and then gave us a new card. The new card says the same thing. Is it just the screwy Live right now?
That Lightz dude has taken the XBL account wtf?!?! :p

GhaleonEB

It's kind of funny how much we know about Reach's MP and how little at the same time. Ranking and rating systems, social features, weapon balance. But very little about what we actually do with all that: game types and maps. Bungie's definitely saving the big stuff for the end.

Schmitty

GhaleonEB said:
It's kind of funny how much we know about Reach's MP and how little at the same time. Ranking and rating systems, social features, weapon balance. But very little about what we actually do with all that: game types and maps. Bungie's definitely saving the big stuff for the end.
I think I like it this way. Tell me the things that have changed concerning weapons and balance, and leave the maps and gametypes for the beta. Of course, an explanation of Invasion would be cool

GhaleonEB said:
Just goes to show how much they are packing in to the game. Bungie love their teasing game they play prior to release. I can only imagine what we'll know by the beta. The campaign is still very much under wraps bar the multiplayer spaces we will be playing in.

big ander said:

XBL was down most of this morning and afternoon thanks to the MW2 Stimulus debacle. It's still not entirely cleared up:

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox/xboxstatus.aspx

Schmitty said:
I think I like it this way. Tell me the things that have changed concerning weapons and balance, and leave the maps and gametypes for the beta. Of course, an explanation of Invasion would be cool

Yeah, although everything points to a large-scale objective-based gametype that pits stronger Elites (with more shields, more health, larger bodies and enhanced mobility) against Spartans (less health, weaker shields that recharge faster, slower speed) with armor abilities.

I'm thinking I'm going to be spending way more time with Invasion than the Arena. Im a big fan of objective gametypes.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Stimulus download huh? No wonder! I did prefer good connection today in MLG and matched against 3 guys from the UK and had a guy from Germany on my team.

It's broken...we won anyway...I'm still a 48 :'(

Louis Wu

Hostile Paradox said:
You're welcome. Hope I don't get sued or something over this...
You won't. Burnie's response:
I've come around on my way of thinking about this kind of thing-- if people want to watch shakeycam and have a lesser experience, I guess that's their call right? We did put it out there in a public space. And you can't really pirate what's already free.

Gui_PT

Tashi0106 said:
Stimulus download huh? No wonder! I did prefer good connection today in MLG and matched against 3 guys from the UK and had a guy from Germany on my team.

It's broken...we won anyway...I'm still a 48 :'(

I haven't been catching your streams, I miss them
48 on your main account?

Listened to the podcast last night (kept me occupied during my flight)...

The secondary fire on the grenade launcher sounds really interesting. I am curious if it will end up being a viable tactic to launch grenades onto the flag stand and wait for an enemy to come take the flag.

Also being able to shoot/explode grenades that are laying on the ground is awesome. I really like all of the work they've done to grenades.

Devin Olsen said:
Listened to the podcast last night (kept me occupied during my flight)...

The secondary fire on the grenade launcher sounds really interesting. I am curious if it will end up being a viable tactic to launch grenades onto the flag stand and wait for an enemy to come take the flag.

Also being able to shoot/explode grenades that are laying on the ground is awesome. I really like all of the work they've done to grenades.
I'd imagine players will still be able to shoot those cooked grenades anyway. It's just a matter of finding them. I think it will add something to the tactics anyway.

If the player cooking that grenade gets killed, will the grenade detonate or will it become a dud essentially?

EazyB

Banned
dslgunstar said:
I already understood your personal position regarding the assault rifle and its place in the sandbox. There are other opinions in play though.

Repeat yourself as much as you see fit.
It's one thing to read one's opinion and then counter it but it's a totally different thing to say "there is no reason for the X to exist", get slapped in the face by one's explanation of X's value, and then shrug the explanation off and repeat the same tired statement without rebuttal. What's one more junior on ignore though?

Kibbles said:
I'm disgusted that people are even buying that crap... so much so that they have to aslpode XBL. I mean, what the hell?
As much as I hate Activision and think MW2 is a shade above shit I don't get the outrage over the pricing for that map pack. We payed $10 for a remake and two original maps but when you throw an additional remake and original map in there it isn't worth the extra $5?

Top Bottom