• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Magni

It could be like for FM3, one disk to install, and the other to play. Alright, I'm off to bed, too bad gor GI I'll read their article tomorrow =(

Dirtbag

electricpirate said:
I think you can actually see it firing in the MP trailer, it looks like it has fast moving projectiles that fire at a low rate. Check the scene "Covenant's vs. elites" (1:07) and go frame by frame. You'll see it firing with a long contrail.

You can see standard PR fire for comparison at 23 seconds in, blue rapid fire shots.

I had assumed the elites were all using PR's in the vid, and noticing that slow ROF, now I see they are mostly using this new awesome gun.

Yeah I guess thats it. Seems strange that they would model the guns so similarly. Seems kind of sloppy/lazy.

derFeef

I just wish I were a bit more into Halo multiplayer and could jeer about that infos as well :( Maybe the beta turns me into a console multiplayer shooter crack. Who knows?

Hydranockz said:
I dunno. I am pretty lazy. If the multiplayer disc was in, I would just have to quench my need for SP with some MP instead :p
I feel the urge to make a joke/threat about your head and a very hard/cold curb.
Perhaps better demonstrated in person after the testing tutorial next week :p.

derFeef said:
I just wish I were a bit more into Halo multiplayer and could jeer about that infos as well :( Maybe the beta turns me into a console multiplayer shooter crack. Who knows?
Willing to join Customs some Saturday night?
I think it's having a group to play with that's ultimately what's important in ensuring that you have fun (one can have plenty of fun soloing it too, just don't feel it's as guaranteed as with a group).
A few games of Jenga and/or MLG TS on the Pit and you'll wonder why you didn't realise your love sooner. :lol

GhaleonEB

Dirtbag said:
Yeah I agree. I just thought that was what Urk was referencing about the new plasma rifle looking more like a rifle and not this:

halo-reach-xbox-360-089.jpg

which looks exactly like the plasma rifle to me.
plasmarifle.jpg

They look pretty different to me, though the design is similar enough that I initially assumed it was a redesigned PR that retains the same contours, ala the new AR. But side by side, they're very different beasts. In particular, the new one has what looks like a barrel of some sort in the center. It looks much more powerful.

derFeef

Zeouterlimits said:
Willing to join Customs some Saturday night?
I think it's having a group to play with that's ultimately what's important in ensuring that you have fun (one can have plenty of fun soloing it too, just don't feel it's as guaranteed as with a group).
A few games of Jenga and/or MLG TS on the Pit and you'll wonder why you didn't realise your love sooner. :lol
Would be awesome! But I do not want to ruin the game for everyone else because I am a custom virgin (what the heck does that mean in the first place).

And oh, I am in Euroland. Would that be a problem?

derFeef said:
Would be awesome! But I do not want to ruin the game for everyone else because I am a custom virgin (what the heck does that mean in the first place).

A lot of us are from the Britlands :p Don't worry.

derFeef said:

Nah. And if you don't participate, you'll probably fit in right with Botolf. He loves Halo, but doesn't really play with us, and he's a huge fan of Half-Life (I'm a huge fan of HL too). :p

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dirtbag said:
Seems kind of sloppy/lazy.

The shared design elements are intentional, permeate much of the Covenant aesthetic, and it's really your face that seems kind of sloppy/lazy.

derFeef said:

No worries you dont need to have any 'experiance' or anything of the sort. Im also from euroland and customs start at a ridiculous time, but I think people have been starting earlier recently?

bobs99 ... said:
No worries you dont need to have any 'experiance' or anything of the sort. Im also from euroland and customs start at a ridiculous time, but I think people have been starting earlier recently?
Yup, Dani was to be seen as early as 22:00 GMT last week with gaffers on MM :p

derFeef

Dax01 said:
Nah. And if you don't participate, you'll probably fit in right with Botolf. He loves Halo, but doesn't really play with us, and he's a huge fan of Half-Life (I'm a huge fan of HL too). :p
Great. What should I do now? Whom do I need to add in Live? Or send me a PM, I do not want to hijack this thread with my issues now.

scently

urk said:
The shared design elements are intentional, permeate much of the Covenant aesthetic, and it's really your face that seems kind of sloppy/lazy.
Urk is definitely not doing Mr Nice today.:lol :lol

ManCannon

scently said:
Urk is definitely not doing Mr Nice today.:lol :lol

See I told you he'd be irked at having his BWU spoiled.

And Team Sizzle is going to be off to a slow start in the internal 2v2s, I got schedule conflicts! :(

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
JaggedSac said:
What TimeZone is GameInformer working in?

They be lagging like crazy they still haven't caught up with the rest of the internet and JeuxFrance.

Considering Halo's audience is primarily English speaking and most folks will grab the art assets from the French site or rehosting or linking, they've lost the chance to maximise their page views and revenue from this particular update.

Blueblur1 said:
Dear Game Informer,

I'd like to be informed about this game. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Blueblur1, Dani and vhfive

Co-signed. ;)

Dirtbag

urk said:
That must be why so many of us confused the two guns, or that no one noticed the difference in the trailer that was frame by framed countless times. What confuses me is statements like removing overlap between the guns, yet we have a gun like this alongside a plasma rifle. A palette swap would have done wonders in distinguishing the guns from each other that are already so physically similar.

Thermite

Good lord, the detail on all of the weapons is INSANE! I can't believe how much more improved everything is in Reach compared to Halo 3, it almost seems like a god damned generation gap! JESUS.

Bungie :bow

Edit: Gameinformer article, where are you? ;(

ManCannon said:
See I told you he'd be urked at having his BWU spoiled.

And Team Sizzle is going to be off to a slow start in the internal 2v2s, I got schedule conflicts! :(
Anyone see what I did thar?

har har :/

Do the Executions vary in length at all? Or is it like BAM, here are 20 frames, do what you will and be done!

JaggedSac

Dirtbag said:
That must be why so many of us confused the two guns, or that no one noticed the difference in the trailer that was frame by framed countless times. What confuses me is statements like removing overlap between the guns, yet we have a gun like this alongside a plasma rifle. A palette swap would have done wonders in distinguishing the guns from each other that are already so physically similar.

Looks like a more powerful version of the plasma rifle. The extended back looks to be for bracing to keep fire more accurate.

Kapura

Banned
ManCannon said:
See I told you he'd be irked at having his BWU spoiled.

Is that a euphemism for the bullets missed the targets?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dirtbag said:

Serious face. Glad I didn't take it to red hat territory!

You won't have to worry about distinguishing the two. :)

Spasm

bobs99 ... said:
I'd like to get in on customs too, but I'm shy. I promise not to Laser Dax
too much
!

Dirtbag

JaggedSac said:
Looks like a more powerful version of the plasma rifle. The extended back looks to be for bracing to keep fire more accurate.

Things like that are what confuse me, so whats the point of having a base plasma rifle at all then if this outclasses it, looks like a cooler version of it, and appears to fill the same role.
Why would I bother picking up a plasma rifle then given the choice? Would have rathered another crack at a covie shotgun weapon, at least it would fill a seperate role.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
You won't have to worry about distinguishing the two. :)
Interesting.

Dirtbag said:
Things like that are what confuse me, so whats the point of having a base plasma rifle at all then if this outclasses it, looks like a cooler version of it, and appears to fill the same role.

Why would I bother picking up a plasma rifle then given the choice? Would have rathered another crack at a covie shotgun weapon, at least it would fill a seperate role.
I'm guessing this replaces the Plasma Rifle. It has not been shown (going through the MP trailer, it's not there - just this new gun). Which would make them easy to disginguish. :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
New assets are fucking hot. Those Covenant weapons look AMAZING.

Looking forward to the GI article

In other non interesting news,
I got my 50 back in MLG yay... 25 games played, 8 losses.

NG28

Dirtbag said:

Bungie's got it covered. No need to worry.

ManCannon

Dani said:
they've lost the chance to maximise their page views and revenue from this particular update.

Have they though? Dunno about you but I've been refreshing and revisiting GI.com all day. That's a lot of activity.

I did just receive word from the middleman that it's coming "soon." :D

Dirtbag said:
Precisely what concerns me when Sage mentions on separate podcasts multiple times that they want to make EVERY weapon a viable option.

Really, a Desert Eagle vs a shoe gun is power vs portability, but if it came down to actual combat, I'm sorry, the DE outclasses the peashooter shoe gun. Too much balance in weapons can lead to weird results.

Tashi0106 said:
New assets are fucking hot. Those Covenant weapons look AMAZING.

Looking forward to the GI article

In other non interesting news,
I got my 50 back in MLG yay... 25 games played, 8 losses.
Can haz stream now?
to keep us busy till GI publish something

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
Assumptions: Dirtbag's got'em
If the Needle Rifle is a similar role as the DMR, this almost looks to fill the role of the AR for the Covenant.

Edit: from the GI article: The plasma repeater is the standard issue weapon for Elites

Edit: Looks like the PR is in the game afterall - but in campaign.

We needed a good equivalent to the AR that we could include in multiplayer but not have it break the campaign. We needed to leave the plasma rifle as fairly weak with slower projectiles in single-player to fight against but we also needed something similar, but better, for the Elites to wield in multiplayer. It is their “jack of all trades, master of none” mid-range weapon. The main defining aspect is that it’s heat-based.

Dirtbag

Major Williams said:
Precisely what concerns me when Sage mentions on separate podcasts multiple times that they want to make EVERY weapon a viable option.

Really, a Desert Eagle vs a shoe gun is power vs portability, but if it came down to actual combat, I'm sorry, the DE outclasses the peashooter shoe gun. Too much balance in weapons can lead to weird results.

I'm already a little perplexed at having 3 single shot headshot weapons, rather then making one of them burst.

I understand the clip size / damage / range / rate of fire differences you can tweak between the needler rifle, DMR, and pistol to keep them different, but I can't help but feel they will all amount to a similar shooting experience. Wouldn't it be strange if the needler rifle was the go-to gun... and that becomes the gun everyone wants as their base weapon over the DMR?

GhaleonEB said:
Fixed. Can anyone show me where the PR is shown to be in the game? In all the footage and screens so far, it's clear what appeared to be a PR is actually the new PR-esque gun.

If the Needle Rifle is a similar role as the DMR, this almost looks to fill the role of the pistol for the Covenant.
I agree. I mean, it would work with the canon. The Covenant had this great weapon, but it cost too much and they made bucket loads of PR's (some red) for 4 games :p

Top Bottom