• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach's Forge Mode Revealed

Heretic said:
quoted for the new page :D
"Starting from scratch" is probably the wrong way to look at it, but I don't think they own the engine.

Could be wrong about that, but don't think so. I'm not sure if it was ever explicity said either way.

Heretic said:
quoted for the new page :D

Bungie generally builds their engines around a very specific content pipeline, and a very specific set of requirements. While those requirements will probably fit for another Halo game, I have a feeling training a studio without a ton of previous bungie employees will make sense to keep them on the same content pipeline.

I wouldn't be surprised if 343i ends up liscensing a new engine for their first outing.

bobs99 ... said:
Not sure if theres a WWU thread, but one part of it worried me. Campeign spaces are taken from Multiplayer, but Arena style spaces dont work well for campeign so the maps are all asymettric.

So campeign suffers from using Multiplayer spaces, and Multiplayer suffers from limitations on the spaces possible. I hate to be negative, but I still would have preferred to see something like space combat cut to make it possible to have the resources for proper maps in both single player and multiplayer, because after all, the maps are core to the experience.

Maybe im being negative for no reason, and the maps are a lot better than I imagine (and looking from the pics, they seem amazing). I also love the idea that each multiplayer map will have significance, but symmetric maps are my favorite type of maps.

Homorage, Sanctuary Remake, and heretic are all symmetric I believe, padiso may be also. And we haven't seen all the maps yet. From the epic BWU.

As for the effect of the MP maps in the campaign, I really like the way Bungie is approaching it,
Chris: One of the decisions we made early on, was that if we wanted to share spaces between campaign and multiplayer, one of the two should take point and create the space to meet their needs. The other group should work with whatever was created. We went in with the assumption that multiplayer is much less forgiving to spaces than campaign. A multiplayer space that has exploits is very difficult for the designers to fix, while campaign can set up the encounters and AI in such a way to bring out the best parts of a space and diminish any negatives of a space. Through development we found that the circular style of many multiplayer maps was difficult to design classic Halo encounters, and the more we tried to make a classic Halo encounter in those spaces the less compelling those encounter became. Eventually we embraced the non-linear elements of the multiplayer spaces and made new types of encounters in them. In the end, many of the multiplayer spaces have encounters that are a great change of pace from what we do in the campaign only spaces, and ended up making the campaign just a little more varied.

That sounds great to me, sometimes if you don't shake up the process, you can't shake up the results.

Also, I'm really, really not sure why space combat would have anything to do with this split in SP or MP spaces. That seems like a really wrong thing to focus on; I can't imagine modeling a ton of empty space with a few ships took that much time away from designing new MP spaces.

Top Bottom