• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo splitscreen co-op RIP 2001-2015

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Shame really. I'll still enjoy online co-op whenever I buy the game and an Xbox One but the local splitscreen has always been a big draw for me with this series.

Einbroch

Banned
You still don't get it.

Let me explain further. You know that HALO has a campaign mode right? well you can play ONLINE with you're buddies to play that campaign. Up to three other people can join that mode and play as the blue team members or Osiris members.

I totally get it. I quoted someone saying the title was misleading, when it's not at all.

Co-op in Halo has always meant campaign, and in a broader sense "co-op" never refers to online competitive multiplayer.

Ign uses the phrase split screen coop. So I am assuming split screen local mp is in.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/09/xbox-live-gold-not-needed-for-halo-5-online-co-op

Edit: 2player split screen mp online and local.

So false alarm...maybe

Interesting the people coming out the wood work.

I totally get it. I quoted someone saying the title was misleading, when it's not at all.

Co-op in Halo has always meant campaign, and in a broader sense "co-op" never refers to online competitive multiplayer.

Alright

Jigorath

Banned
343 and Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Halo culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame and especially SPLIT SCREEN COOP are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in other fps games where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Halo, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. 

What this means is the Halo public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Halo 5 for Xbox One, nor will they purchase any of 343i's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but 343i has alienated an entire market with this move.

343i, publicly apologize and put in SPLIT SCREEN COOP for Halo 5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

This shit is tired.

Just tired.

Numb

Co-oped the MCC with my bro after he got me into Halo recently and we were both looking forward to playing the new one together.
For shame.

This is not cool

When I had MCC I did all the campaigns with my brother. Was great fun

Did the same with Halo 3 and ODST on the 360 too

This is a dealbreaker for me as I have no interest in the multiplayer

Omadahl

Banned
I have 0 interest in getting an XBOX but this is driving that number into the negative. They just ripped the heart out of their best franchise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It has splitscreen multiplayer (a mode where framerate is more critical than campaign)
It has coop campaign for up to four people online, so the campaign is built to be played coop.

Given that, it is very surprising and disappointing not to have local splitscreen coop campaign

watership

60 fps is more reason to have split screen coop. The multiplayer features that the game does have suggest that much of the infrastructure is already there. It's bizarre that they'd remove it; certainly more bizarre than the idea that Microsoft is in it for the money.

You really, actually think this is about money? The reason that the feature has gone out of style in practically every genre and game in the past decade is the fact that it's not as used by the mass populous and many people play games online together in far greater numbers.

I don't use split screen myself, and I think this is a shame that it's not going to be in Halo 5, but you have to be the most "1995, Slashdot reading, M$ hater" to actually believe this is about money.

Why the fuck is everyone just sitting here saying "oh this sucks no buy" instead of making your fucking voices heard by MS/343? Is this not the same community that sparked the No DRM PS4 thing? You guys are talking about how you loved to play halo with your friend/gf/family, when you love something would you just let it die?. Show everyone that people still want splitscreeen FFS. JUST DO IIIIIIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

It has splitscreen multiplayer (a mode where framerate is more critical than campaign)
It has coop campaign for up to four people online, so the campaign is built to be played coop.

Given that, it is very surprising and disappointing not to have local splitscreen coop campaign

Something had to give i guess.

343 and Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Halo culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame and especially SPLIT SCREEN COOP are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in other fps games where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Halo, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. 

What this means is the Halo public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Halo 5 for Xbox One, nor will they purchase any of 343i's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but 343i has alienated an entire market with this move.

343i, publicly apologize and put in SPLIT SCREEN COOP for Halo 5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I love you, and I love fragmaster.

But man, I just got 4 X1 controllers! All for nothing.

Gestault

Why the fuck is everyone just sitting here saying "oh this sucks no buy" instead of making your fucking voices heard by MS/343? Is this not the same community that sparked the No DRM PS4 thing? You guys are talking about how you loved to play halo with your friend/gf/family, when you love something would you just let it die?. Show everyone that people still want splitscreeen FFS. JUST DO IIIIIIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

It's very, very likely there's a practical reason it can't be included. The mea-culpa of free online co-op sort of gives that impression, as well. You don't need to throw a tantrum to convey disappointment, and it's loud and clear in the thread here that people are bummed.

Im a die hard Halo fan, and its a bummer that its not in...With that being said, I don't want them to have to sacrifice any new technologies/features just for the sake of having spilt screen present. Basically If spilt screen by chance would cause any graphical/tech sacrifices, I would much rather them push the hardware forward and leave split screen behind tbh..

I won't miss it, and I am actually happy that the resources invested into making that feature work will be put somewhere else.

Split screen co-op was great for past generations, but it's time to move on.

move on to what? there's no alternative to the experience split screen provides without owning your own console and copy of the game (live as well, if you want to play MP with more than one other friend at a time, local or otherwise)... guess everyone should just 'move on' from playing affordably with the people they live or share spaces frequently with, huh? that's bunk

and split screen co-op has the potential to be WAY better in this day and age than it ever was before.

jem0208

move on to what? there's no alternative to the experience split screen provides without owning your own console, copy of the game, and live subscription...

and split screen co-op has the potential to be WAY better in this day and age than it ever was before.

You don't need a gold sub for online co-op.

farisr

Im a die hard Halo fan, and its a bummer that its not in...With that being said, I don't want them to have to sacrifice any new technologies/features just for the sake of having spilt screen present. Basically If spilt screen by chance would cause any graphical/tech sacrifices, I would much rather them push the hardware forward and leave split screen behind tbh..

They don't need to sacrifice that stuff, it's well within the realm of possibility to have splitscreen mode run at a lower fidelity, while not impacting the quality of the game when being played solo.

They are just being "lazy" aka they didn't deem it worth it to focus on that aspect and just went, we'll just not include it.

It's very, very likely there's a practical reason it can't be included. The mea-culpa of free online co-op sort of gives that impression, as well. You don't need to throw a tantrum to convey disappointment, and it's loud and clear in the thread here that people are bummed.

What? I think you (understandably) misunderstood me I personally don't really care if its there or not but why just sit here and do nothing? there very well could be a reason for it's absence but nobody wants to know why? I was taught that in these situations an answer is better than no answer.

jem0208

They don't need to sacrifice that stuff, it's well within the realm of possibility to have splitscreen mode run at a lower fidelity, while not impacting the quality of the game when being played solo.

They are just being "lazy" aka they didn't deem it worth it to focus on that aspect and just went, we'll just not include it.

There it is, the "lazy dev" comment...

Gestault

move on to what? there's no alternative to the experience split screen provides without owning your own console, copy of the game, and live subscription...

I wonder if we're reaching a point where the geometric growth in some parts of the processing required for two+ player splitscreen is bumping its head against reasonable system requirements.

jem0208

or if you read my comment I say "lazy" rather than saying they're actually lazy, and explain what's meant by that.

Honestly I think you're completely wrong.

I'm sure if it were technically feasible to include splitscreen they would. However I wouldn't be surprised if it's inclusion meant they had to compromise too much.

so is not spawning with a loadout or ADS, but they pissed that away.

honestly ads ain't even half as important to me

in fact i've been warming up to that, and to the prospect of halo 5 as a whole. if this game is the shit i'll still buy it, but i probably won't keep it around for very long as long as i can't play with my brother and two of our local friends who have been getting together with us to play halo for years without at least two xbones, and at most four.

MLCodest

Sucks for anyone who was going to play it splitscreen but this day has been a huge win for 343i personally. Drop in drop out online co op, 20 maps at launch + another 15 free, and no XBL Gold required for online co op.

farisr

Honestly I think you're completely wrong.

I'm sure if it were technically feasible to include splitscreen they would. However I wouldn't be surprised if it's inclusion meant they had to compromise to much.

That's usually the go to excuse to save face.

What it really is, is that they just felt it wasn't worth spending the time and money on implementing the mode. As I said, games in the past have shown that solo experience can be left untarnished, uncompromised, whereas the splitscreen experience can run at a lower fidelity to make it work.

Maybe they felt it would take too much time to optimize because there are a lot of factors involved, or maybe they just didn't want videos of the splitscreen version going out there misrepresenting how great the campaign really looks in solo mode.

In the end, they basically stripped away a feature that is a franchise staple, because they didn't think it was worth it. I said "lazy" specifically as a dig on those "lazy dev" comments that happen from time to time, the actual devs themselves aren't lazy, I know that very well, heck that is one of the main reasons why I was put off from actually pursuing a career as a game developer.

I already knew local multiplayer was being cut from 4 to 2 but no 2 player co-op is a fucking disgrace.

The whole reason for Halo's existence for me (and all of my friends) was the splitscreen experience.

Halo's dead to me now. This is not hyperbole.

On the one hand, I cherish the memories of playing Halo 1 & 2 in splitscreen co-op. On the other, every Halo since then I've played co-op with multiple Xbox systems and TVs online or in the same room.

I sympathize with those that have no other way to play co-op, but if this change positively impacts the environment design or graphics then it's a win for me personally.

VinFTW

I already knew local multiplayer was being cut from 4 to 2 but no 2 player co-op is a fucking disgrace.

The whole reason for Halo's existence for me (and all of my friends) was the splitscreen experience.

Yes, yes it is.

KORNdoggy

So much for me buying that then. It was a favorite of mine and my friends, and as someone who doesn't play online it kills the value for me

Woorloog

Banned
I have to say i'm surprised at people being disappointed. I always thought it really was a minority who cared (like me).
Perhaps it still is a minority but sure is bigger than i thought.

Gestault

I can relate to the enjoyment and disappointment, but dang, that's a whopper of a reaction. I guess the things I get out of most games are a little more broad.

Posteezy

Neo Member
No split screen? That's really depressing, now I have to break the news to my wife and hold her while she cries, thanks a lot 343.

bengraven

This annoyed me in PvZ:MW (last gen) as well.

Because apparently people don't play with their friends in the same room anymore.

TripOpt55

I have actually played all six Halo campaigns in splitscreen co-op with this one friend. We have gamed together since high school, but he was never as into them as me and at some point he stopped getting new consoles. He still comes over to play at my house once or twice a month though. He was never really into shooters until we tried Halo co-op and that really opened up our options as far as co-op went. We started branching out more. Still with six games, there is nothing we have played as much together co-op over the years as Halo. So this news really bums me out :(

Euron

I won't miss it, and I am actually happy that the resources invested into making that feature work will be put somewhere else.

Split screen co-op was great for past generations, but it's time to move on.
It's always been a staple for Halo games though and seems like it would have been an even more significant feature since there's a bigger focus on co-op this time around. Replaying the last level of Halo 3 in split screen over either Thanksgiving or Christmas has actually become a tradition for some of my cousins and me. And last year we played a ton of H2A campaign. The Halo campaigns are some of the most fun splitscreen experiences ever. Warthog and vehicle antics, looking for skulls, finding easter eggs, and simply killing each other on the occasion makes for a great time.

The problem for me is, almost everyone I know who has an Xbox One either isn't a Halo fan or has given up on the series after 4 and MCC and insists 5 is going to suck no matter what (yes those people do exist outside GAF and the Waypoint Forums). You can't just have a friend over and check out the game by jumping into a game co-op anymore. Now everyone needs their own console and game.

Yes I know this is a technical matter but can't some sacrifices be made? Even Call of Duty is putting in splitscreen campaign co-op this year. 343 seems to be doing a lot right with this game but at the same time they're still making disappointing choices such as this. Hopefully there's co-op matchmaking at least.

I can relate to the enjoyment and disappointment, but dang, that's a whopper of a reaction. I guess the things I get out of most games are a little more broad.
I agree but, for me, specifically Halo was about gathering with friends. Nothing more and nothing less.

The term "Halo night" amongst friends didn't start because people played in their own houses via Xbox Live, I assure you.

Rayme

No it's not.

I literally (and I do mean LITERALLY) don't give a shit about Halo if it doesn't have splitscreen. And no 2 local online multiplayer is not enough. Not even close.

...I don't think anyone was literally giving a shit. I'm not even sure how you would. I mean, maybe? Probably not legal via US Mail. Courier service? In person? Maybe you just need a waiver?

Top Bottom