• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare

Gestault

Trimming down that clarification in the OP to bullet points may help those not so into reading, so there are fewer blow-ups.

• The Ultimate Edition included the Season Pass and full Halo Wars Remastered
  • In addition to the leader add-ons already released for the Season Pass, two new leaders (Jerome and Arbiter) were announced at E3. Two additional leaders will follow.
  • Two new story missions which branch off the main campaign will be released for Season Pass owners.
  • Today's announcement is a new campaign, complete with new cinematics by Blur Studio, with new multiplayer modes including Solo/Co-op survival Firefight, and a new set of heroes. These will be released after the last of the Season Pass content is released, and isn't included. It adds on to the main game.

On one hand, I kind of get this not being in the season pass for the reasons listed.

On the other, announcing it before other pieces of season pass content have even been revealed... eesh

Memory

See above. It's a full-on new campaign with Blur Studio cinematics, coming after the rest of the season pass content is delivered (which includes several of its own single-player missions as extensions to the main game's story).

Someone needs to put this in the OP before everyone overreacts

Trimming down that clarification in the OP to bullet points may help those not so into reading, so there are fewer blow-ups.

How does this make it better? They have not even honoured or even outlined the season pass yet and we have been suffering delay after delay in regards to the content.

Yet here they are asking for more money for new content i'm not confident didn't used to be part of the season pass.

Remember the changes from 12 months worth of support to only 6 months?

You guys can be cool with it, that's fine no one is saying you can't be. But don't try to insult people for being deservedly pissed about what is at best shoddy messaging and at worse disgusting cash grabbing.

iFirez

Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare
  • Singleplayer Expansion bookended by Blur Cinematics
  • Fight as the Banished as they uncover the Flood
  • Play a brand new mode - Firefight Terminus: protect your base and forerunner terminus with up to 2 other players against waves of increasingly difficult enemies.
  • 2 Brand new Banished leaders to play as.

More Season Pass Content coming BEFORE the expansion:
  • 2 new leaders being shown at E3. Jerome and Arbiter.
  • 2 more new leaders coming soon.
  • 2 brand new single player missions coming before the expansion.
These will fulfill the season passes content all owners of it were promised.

Free content:
  • 2 new maps for traditional modes are coming later this year and will be free for all.

Gestault

They have not even honoured or even outlined the season pass yet and we have been suffering delay after delay in regards to the content.

Yet here they are asking for more money for new content i'm not confident didn't used to be part of the season pass.

Remember the changes from 12 months worth of support to only 6 months?

You guys can be cool with it, that's fine no one is saying you can't be. But don't try to insult people for being deservedly pissed about what is at best shoddy messaging and at worse disgusting cash grabbing.

Saying "you didn't read the details" isn't an insult. And you didn't read the details, based on this post. As of E3, we have new details on the Season Pass content, which you can find in this thread. This was announced in addition.

Not included in the season pass...
Wait... what?
Wow, get fucked 343.
Why would you announce this without showing the single player content we were promised first?

_Aaron_

Screenshots:
Halo-Wars-2_Screen-Shot_Orbe.png

Werd

Wish I knew exactly what campaign content the season pass IS getting, hard to judge but it will be disappointing if it's poor quality while this gets all the effort.

That said I doubt there will be a HW sequel any time soon so ultimately I'll take the extra content and will likely buy it at one point or another, I liked the campaign and a firefight mode that has full base building and additional defense measures should be a nice addition.

U2NUMB

I so need to get back to this game. Only played first couple levels.. enjoyed it, other stuff just got in the way.

This looks good... Glad it's getting the support.

The initial horrible miscommunication about the DE release and the miscommunication about this expansion in the season pass will make halo wars 2(despite being 343s best game to date) rub people the wrong way for sure.

Kill3r7

• The Ultimate Edition included the Season Pass and full Halo Wars Remastered
  • In addition to the leader add-ons already released for the Season Pass, two new leaders (Jerome and Arbiter) were announced at E3. Two additional leaders will follow.
  • Two new story missions which branch off the main campaign will be released for Season Pass owners.
  • Today's announcement is a new campaign, complete with new cinematics by Blur Studio, with new multiplayer modes including Solo/Co-op survival Firefight, and a new set of heroes. These will be released after the last of the Season Pass content is released, and isn't included. It adds on to the main game.

Thx for taking the time to put this together. That said, I am done buying deluxe editions from MS.

The initial horrible miscommunication about the DE release and the miscommunication about this expansion in the season pass will make halo wars 2(despite being 343s best game to date) rub people the wrong way for sure.

I understand why people were mad about the DE mixed messages. But today's confusion has little no no net effect on anything, people are overreacting.

Gestault

Thx for taking the time to put this together. That said, I am done buying deluxe editions from MS.

I'm absolutely in the same boat, unless it's some sort of promo offer. I lucked out with the price I paid for HW2 Ultimate, which is probably part of why I'm so nonchalant about it.

Jacqli

I am betting on this: we will receive two shitty story campaigns so that they can say they fulfilled the season pass. I should not have bought the ultimate edition when it was on sale, my bad.

pitchfork

Looks and sounds great and love that we're playing as the banished, but yeah, as an owner of the not so ultimate edition, bit of a kick in the stones having to fork out for it

mcrommert

Banned
Can this kill the whole "Halo Wars 2 sold terrible way way under expectations" nonsence

They wouldn't make an expansion if it had been that bad..this thing is taking a whole year to make pas the original game launch

The Horde mode sounds like it could be a lot of fun in an RTS. I think one the Warhammer 40K games (Dawn of War 2?) had a similar mode that was really good.
• $60 Buy to Play
• $3-100 Booster packs (not cosmetics) Microtransaction
• $30 Season Pass
• $20 Expansion
This is why (unless I'm interested in multiplayer), I always try to wait for GOTY/Definitive editions and/or sales before buying games.

The only games I preorder or get day one anymore are ones I'm VERY hyped for, but even then I can get burned, like with Mass Effect Andromeda recently which dropped in price about a month after release and wasn't so hot at launch either.

Spasm

I don't play multi, and only bought the Ultimate Edition for the promise of campaign expansions. Kinda pissed. Will definitely pass.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I don't know why, but I get the feeling that the intention was to give this away as part of the Ultimate Edition, but they decided not to because it turned out expensive, and are now throwing in the token gesture of a couple of missions to "fulfil the agreement".

Can't say I'm happy about the situation, although I'm irritatingly really interested in this expansion.

snap

Banned
This not being part of the season pass is real shitty. I bought the ultimate edition expecting to get a single-player expansion and this was the reason i was going to come back to the game. guess i'll just skip out on this and hope for a halo wars 3.

What the hell was the point of the ultimate edition then?

I saw the headline and thought, "I passed on this, but I might jump in with a later Ultimate Edition that includes this stuff."

And now I'm hearing that there already is an ultimate edition and that it is not very ultimate.

Nevermind, I can do without.

Hawk269

I think the 2 new single player levels and all the leaders they added was pretty good for the Ultimate edition, plus the new MP maps they are adding will be free....so I think they have provided a lot for the ultimate edition, yeah it would of been nice if this was also part of that, but given the amount of content they have added, it is not bad.

I still think there needs to be at least 3 more Blitz maps and about 8 more MP maps. That is the biggest concern for me is the MP maps. After all this story stuff is played and done, what is left currently is only 8 MP maps with 2 new ones coming. So we will have only 10 in total. Original game had 18 or so.

EvB

Is this game good for single player? I wouldn't mind a strategy game right about now.

Single Player is ok, but the campaign never really kicks up into full scale base building that you have in a multiplayer / skirmish

JaggedSac

This not being part of the season pass is real shitty. I bought the ultimate edition expecting to get a single-player expansion and this was the reason i was going to come back to the game. guess i'll just skip out on this and hope for a halo wars 3.

Yep, pissed about the "ultimate" edition as well.

Top Bottom