• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars Playable at E3!

ant1532

Banned
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160918

"The good news for Halo Wars fans who have been hanging in there waiting for more information and or images from the game is that we will be showing a small demo of the game for select members of the press at E3," said the company on their message board. "It just shows a small slice of our game off to give the press an idea of what we're all about.

Never liked RTS games much (Fire Emblem and Advance Wars is about how far I go) but like Halo did FPS love for me I'm hoping this does the same with RTS.

Halo_Wars.gif

The minute they didn't release it for PC was when they lost my interest in it. Seriously, Halo would be perfect for a RTS but they had to make it 360-only.

saelz8

GFW or bust!

We don't know yet, it could still come to PC. We'll have to wait until the press conference. MS could include it in there GFW push.

Death_Born said:
The minute they didn't release it for PC was when they lost my interest in it. Seriously, Halo would be perfect for a RTS but they had to make it 360-only.
Big Red Ecks. I would have instantly bought it for the PC but a d-pad/analog stick controlled RTS? No thanks.

ant1532

Banned
Death_Born said:
Halo 1 and 2 were Xbox only at first too, I doubt this won't be ported in time.

ant1532 said:
Those were, not surprisingly, terrible on the PC. Console designed stuff ported to the PC rarely ever work, if ever. Especially in a specialized genre like RTS.

****ing retarded of Microsoft to not release this one on the PC, given that Ensemble has been building an extremely loyal fanbase there for almost a decade.

titiklabingapat said:
Those were, not surprisingly, terrible on the PC. Console designed stuff ported to the PC rarely ever work, if ever. Especially in a specialized genre like RTS.
StarCraft 2 is on the horizon, I don't think PC gamers would even care if Halo Wars is coming to PC.

What's even worse is that they did it to sell 360's, not because it would work better on the console. In doing so they probably alienated much of the fanbase.

spoon! said:
Only on Windows Vienna™

Windows Final Edition™ Approved

ZeoVGM

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
****ing retarded of Microsoft to not release this one on the PC, given that Ensemble has been building an extremely loyal fanbase there for almost a decade.

Yeah that's... uh.. smart. Not "****ing retarded".

This is an Xbox franchise. Why would they put it out on PC around the same time and make it not an exclusive?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
titiklabingapat said:
Big Red Ecks. I would have instantly bought it for the PC but a d-pad/analog stick controlled RTS? No thanks.
Console RTS games work, like GrimGrimoire is awesome... but it's a 2D RTS. Yeah, I guess this should also be on the PC.

Illuminati said:
StarCraft 2 is on the horizon, I don't think PC gamers would even care if Halo Wars is coming to PC.
That's true. But I've always thought the Halo universe was cool, those commercials for Halo 2 made me wish for an RTS.

ElyrionX

Fragamemnon said:

How is that even retarded? Those "loyal" fans will then have to buy a 360 just to play the latest RTS from Ensemble.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
How is that even retarded? Those "loyal" fans will then have to buy a 360 just to play the latest RTS from Ensemble.

They would have had more luck selling Vista with it I rekon.

The purpose of the 360 version should really be getting the halo fans who only play shooters to try new genres.

Illuminati said:

It's good to have some variety once and a while.

ElyrionX said:

Not retarded, just greedy. If they don't want my money for a PC game, they're not getting it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yeah, this has been known for quite some time, but it won't be a public demo unfortunately...

I'm pretty anxious for this game, as Ensemble Studios is my favourite PC dev, and I own all of the AOE/AOM games, and for them to make a RTS based on one of my favourite franchises of all time is just a dream come true...

ant1532 said:

Each of those had their respective reasons though, it wasn't as if they were ported just for being MS games or something...

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
If this is like Bungie's own Myth/Myth 2, it has a chance of being truly great, and properly controllable on a gamepad. If it's a traditional RTS like the ones Ensemble usually makes, it'll be average at best.

Illuminati said:

Some of us have been buying Ensemble products since the original Age of Empires, and really, really dig the company's work. I know I've enjoyed their RTS games over the years a good chunk more than I have Blizzard's offerings.

C'mon guys. You know how this works. We'll see it for Vista in the next few years. I don't own a PC right now capable of playing these next-gen games the way they should be played, so I openly welcome a console version.

ElyrionX said:

Actually, that's the thing-they won't. No PC RTS player is going to buy a 360 to play an RTS game, that would be exceptional folly.

Borys

Banned
Fragamemnon said:

It will sell easily 5 times more on a 360, I can see MS logic in this move.

Silkotonn said:
I'm pretty anxious for this game, as Ensemble Studios is my favourite PC dev, and I own all of the AOE/AOM games, and for them to make a RTS based on one of my favourite franchises of all time is just a dream come true...

Wait, you (used to) game on a PC?

Fragamemnon said:
Actually, that's the thing-they won't. No PC RTS player is going to buy a 360 to play an RTS game, that would be exceptional folly.
I was just about to post that. PC people, especially the RTS subgroup are...elitist snobs for the most part.

But, a big but, if Microsoft can bundle this with a mouse and make mouse controlled stuff playable on the 360..I'll bite.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
As long as it's specifically and smartly designed with the console in mind, I'm interested. The problem is with these PC ports and these halfway jobs that please no one. PC RTS players may knock it, just like PC FPS players knock Halo, but as long as it's truly a different and suitable approach to the console it has the potential to be great fun.

Fragamemnon said:
Some of us have been buying Ensemble products since the original Age of Empires, and really, really dig the company's work. I know I've enjoyed their RTS games over the years a good chunk more than I have Blizzard's offerings.
IMO Age of Empires III was a huge letdown after Age of Empires II. So for me, Ensemble would have a lot to prove. If Microsoft was letting Big Huge Games do it I would be way more interested.

And I'm sure there are many PC gamers like me, but I would choose StarCraft over any other RTS. So here's hoping they don't release Halo Wars any time around the release of StarCraft 2.

Borys said:
It will sell easily 5 times more on a 360, I can see MS logic in this move.

Age of Empires 3 moved over 2 million units and TWC sold tons too. I know the Spartan Brigade is loyal, but I doubt they'll be able to match those numbers with Halo Wars.

My reaction to Halo Wars is sort of like my reaction to Bioware working on a Sonic RPG-"what a waste".

Age of Mythology(sans the Titans) was pretty awesome though. They successfully trimmed down the Age of Empire formula and made it less boring. Plus, there is nothing better than an army of Hydras petrifying everyone.

They should totally do an Age of Mythology 2, remove the Atlanteans and bring in the Romans, Inca/Aztec/Mayan, Chinese and Indian mythos.

Haunted

ant1532 said:
Never liked RTS games much (Fire Emblem and Advance Wars is about how far I go) but like Halo did FPS love for me I'm hoping this does the same with RTS.
:eek: FE and Advance Wars are most certainly not RTS games. SRPGs are a completely different genre.

That said, I enjoy RTS games in general, but after AoE3 + expansion, Company of Heroes and C&C3 I've had my fill for a while. Still interested in seeing Halo Wars just for the hell of it. :)

Age of Empires 3 is actually terrific online and the home city/deck system is one of the coolest and most innovative features I've seen in a multiplayer RTS. I can't fathom why it gets such a terrible rap here on GAF.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fragamemnon said:
My reaction to Halo Wars is sort of like my reaction to Bioware working on a Sonic RPG-"what a waste"

Me too! Although not in the way you mean, you jaded, cynical bastard.

MaX_PL

Banned
Death_Born said:

why are you posting if you have no interest?

This gives me hope that it's closer than I think. I want this more than Halo 3, truth be told.

edit: Whoops, thought this was a thread for people looking forward to the game.

Top Bottom