• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Handheld SNES (Cartridges, Multiplayer, TV-out) Releasing this Summer

Bear

Did a search and didn't find anything, but an interesting new handheld SNES is going to see a release in a few months. It isn't an emulator, but an actual handheld SNES shaped like a slightly enlarged controller with a 3.5" LCD in the middle. It also supports TV output and 2 controller ports.

Third party gaming accessory manufacturer Hyperkin has just announced the upcoming SupaBoy, a handheld console that plays original SNES cartidges.

handheld-snes-announced-20110413023030975.jpg

Due for a release this summer, the SupaBoy will currently only play US cartridges, with a UK PAL release yet to be confirmed. The handheld device is currently only a prototype, but we do know that it will come in at 318g, have a 3.5 inch LCD screen, and a claimed battery life of around five and a half hours.

handheld-snes-announced-20110413023029897.jpg

As you can see from the prototype images, the SupaBoy has an A/V stereo output to plug into your TV, and capacity to plug two original SNES controllers to play on the bigger screen with.

handheld-snes-announced-20110413023029069.jpg

I'm assuming this isn't officially licensed. Have the SNES patents expired yet?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I kinda feel like the controller ports, LCD screen, and TV out are a bit much. I'd like a tiny portable SNES, and I'd like a handheld SNES, but I don't think I want both. Just visually busy and feels like it'd take away from the comfort level.

Bear

Stumpokapow said:
I kinda feel like the cartridge ports, LCD screen, and TV out are a bit much. I'd like a tiny portable SNES, and I'd like a handheld SNES, but I don't think I want both. Just visually busy and feels like it'd take away from the comfort level.

The cartridge port is the main reason for the size, and there really isn't any other way to play SNES games without emulation. At least the design is smaller and neater than the bulky DIY projects we've seen over the last few years. If this thing isn't too big, I'd consider it. Going by the size of the screen, this will probably be quite a bit larger than the GBA or original DS.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Does it use AA/AAA/etc batteries or am I just not seeing it properly?

Bear

bernardobri said:
Does it use AA/AAA/etc batteries or am I just not seeing it properly?

No, it's uses rechargable batteries, they say it should last 5 and a half hours.

If you mean the battery cover in the second picture, it's held in by a screw so it's definitely not using cell batteries.

Ignignort

Stumpokapow said:
I kinda feel like the cartridge ports, LCD screen, and TV out are a bit much. I'd like a tiny portable SNES, and I'd like a handheld SNES, but I don't think I want both. Just visually busy and feels like it'd take away from the comfort level.

Yep I agree, even something that has a region switch would be cool if possible.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Bear said:
No, it's uses rechargable batteries, they say it should last 5 and a half hours.

If you mean the battery cover in the second picture, it's held in by a screw so it's definitely not using cell batteries.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

Judging by the photos seems like it's about a little more bigger by the sides than a PSP, which it's kinda okay for me considering all the additional perks...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The second image in kind on confusing since it shows a Jpn/PAL cartridge when the text says it doesn't support this format.

Also lack of YRBG buttons for the lose.

jarosh

several snes and genesis handhelds have been released over the last few years. nothing special about this one.

this is going to eat up the kids market while the NGP steamrollers the teens and adults. nintendo have really fucked - 3DS is dead in the water.

/farnham

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'll buy this. Portable SNES? Yes, please.

Link1110

Sword Familiar said:
I might have been interested if this thing wasn't region locked, but naw.
Snes had 2 tabs that kept you from inserting Japanese carts. I have no idea why you can't just get them off this thing as well.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Smiles and Cries said:
where can we still find the carts for this?

Ebay, Amazon, local Mom and Pop game stores, etc, etc.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Link1110 said:
Snes had 2 tabs that kept you from inserting Japanese carts. I have no idea why you can't just get them off this thing as well.

PAL region says hi though.

Bear

Link1110 said:

I'm guessing the tabs were never built in, because according to the press release the system supports US but not UK carts. Removing the tabs will let you play NTSC-J games, but PAL compatibility would require additional hardware.

Anyone playing North American or Japanese game should be fine, but PAL gamers are out of luck.

Isn't this copyright infringement? What do Nintendo have to say about this? Especially considering they're planning on releasing "remakes" of a lot of SNES games for the 3D Classics service on the 3DS.

If it's a legitimate product, I'll definitely pick one up if the price is right. Though I'm not happy with the region-locking. I own both PAL and NTSC SNES games.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Stumpokapow said:

you mean controller ports?

Wonder if the S-Video cable will work with this?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
levious said:
you mean controller ports?

I did mean that, yeah.

Ben2749 said:
Isn't this copyright infringement? What do Nintendo have to say about this? Especially considering they're planning on releasing "remakes" of a lot of SNES games for the 3D Classics service on the 3DS.

Three types of intellectual property

Trademark; the words "Super Nintendo". Not infringing, not misrepresenting as made by Nintendo.

Patent; the proprietary tricks used in the physical construction of the device; these are expired. (14/17/20 years depending on the way the application worked and which kinds of patents, 20 years from 91 would be 2011)

Copyright; artistic works, doesn't apply to the console.

Interesting, but if the NGP gets hacked then emulating SNES games on that (with much better screen + region free + other perks of emulation) would be a much better option than having to carry around a giant bulky system with a giant bulky cartridge sticking out of it.

linkboy

Ben2749 said:

If it's a legitimate product, I'll definitely pick one up if the price is right. Though I'm not happy with the region-locking. I own both PAL and NTSC SNES games.

No, the patents on the NES and SNES have expired. Clone units are perfectly legal.

I used a Retro Duo and the SNES support wasn't that bad, NES support was downright terrible (compability issues and the sound was off). These units are hit or miss, some are good (my Generation NEX wasn't that bad) and some are terrible (see the Retro Duo for NES games).

edit
Beaten, badly

Cheerilee

Bear said:
I'm guessing the tabs were never built in, because according to the press release the system supports US but not UK carts. Removing the tabs will let you play NTSC-J games, but PAL compatibility would require additional hardware.

Anyone playing North American or Japanese game should be fine, but PAL gamers are out of luck.
All the hardware it would need is one switch.

There's no need for this system to output a PAL signal, so it doesn't need PAL hardware.

Some PAL games (not all) had copy protection which made them refuse to boot on an NTSC system. If you cut one wire in your SNES, it's enough to bypass the security. Reconnect the wire anytime after you pass the security check on bootup and you're just fine.

gdt

Lol, why would anyone get this? I couldn't imagine carrying this thing around. It uses cartridges for fucks sake. It's an anti portable.

Now, if your ancient SNES dies, this could be a solid replacement for home.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Curious: what good snes games are out there that haven't received ports or virtual console releases?
Unirally/racer. Blame Pixar for its death.

Stumpokapow said:
I did mean that, yeah.

Three types of intellectual property

Trademark; the words "Super Nintendo". Not infringing, not misrepresenting as made by Nintendo.

Patent; the proprietary tricks used in the physical construction of the device; these are expired. (14/17/20 years depending on the way the application worked and which kinds of patents, 20 years from 91 would be 2011)

Copyright; artistic works, doesn't apply to the console.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. So I'm assuming it's releasing when it is for the sole reason of that's when it is first legal to do so?

I guess that would also explain why in recent years, we've seen quite a few Mega Drive/Genesis systems with built-in games?

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Curious: what good snes games are out there that haven't received ports or virtual console releases?

I'm far from the best person to answer this question, as my SNES collection is pitfully small on account of not getting one until well after it's lifespan was over, but right off the top of my head, I can think of Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, Earthbound, and Pilotwings. Yoshi's Island did get a GBA version though, but the SNES version had better quality music, and Yoshi had his much better classic sound effects, rather than the awful voice that he got in Yoshi's Island.

krae_man

Ben2749 said:
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. So I'm assuming it's releasing when it is for the sole reason of that's when it is first legal to do so?

I guess that would also explain why in recent years, we've seen quite a few Mega Drive/Genesis systems with built-in games?

The ones with Built in games are officially licensed by Sega.

As for legality, SNES Clones have existed for years, the timing of the device probably has nothing to do with patents.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So this got released. Engadget had an article on it today.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/02/supaboy-portable-snes-the-most-fun-you-can-have-without-a-solde/
Supa Sweet Handheld Console Shaped Like a SNES Controller With 3.5 Inch Screen that Plays SNES Cartridges

Hyperkin will launch the highly anticipated SupaBoy Handheld Video Game Console December 1st, 2011 in time for the holiday shopping season. Equipped with a 3.5" screen, the SupaBoy is designed to look like an original SNES controller with a top loading port that plays original 16-bit SNES and Super Famicom cartridges.

The SupaBoy will play original SNES cartridges on a built-in 3.5" LCD screen and is designed to emulate an original SNES controller including a D-pad, face buttons, as well as right and left shoulder buttons. The SupaBoy also includes two front loading ports that are compatible with full-size SNES controllers and video/audio out, allowing up to two players to play the SupaBoy on a regular TV screen.

"There is definitely a nostalgia factor for the SupaBoy for the older generation of gamers who grew up with the Super Nintendo," stated Leo Liang, Hyperkin's National Sales Director. "Yet, at the same time, it introduces and exposes the new generation of gamers to this beloved console. Not only is it compatible with original SNES and Super Famicom cartridges, you can also run it through your television, plug two controllers in, and play with another person. The SupaBoy is a very cool, very fun product, and is a perfect Christmas gift for anyone who loves video games."

SupaBoy will be compatible with multiple SNES titles including: Super Mario™ World, Starfox™, Donkey Kong™ Country, The Legend of Zelda™ A Link To The Past, Super Mario™ Kart, Chrono Trigger™ and others.

Top Bottom