• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands on the dashboard. PS4 30fps

Raonak

Banned
*shrugs*
framerates never really bother me, when im playing the game for longer than 10 mins, i naturally adjust to the framerate to the point i don't notice.

Aliasing bothers me way more.

texore

I think the problem is , some people get way too hung up on numbers when most of them will make the smallest of differences.

Majority of people don't give the slightest of shits if a strong pc can render a few more blades of grass or has a shadow that's slightly sharper 60 feet away.

It's pretty damn juvenile and I'm glad I'm grown out of that crap.
Yeah growing up I didn't even know what any of the games fps were I just knew what I enjoyed and what I didn't. If I wasn't on the internet so often I probably wouldn't even think about it.

liquidtmd

Banned
My hands. Send 60fps dashboard Noa

tumblr_lsqfp6PSod1qii6tmo1_400.gif

Wil348

Who's fault is it that OP expected high graphical fidelity and 60fps out of a small, sub-£300 machine? If you want 60fps, don't buy a console. If a console is your only option, deal with it. 30fps is by no means ideal but it's not unplayable.

Aliasing bothers me way more.

Absolutely this. That's one thing I am hoping to see improvement on this gen.

rjc571

Banned
I never bothered with the PS3 or Xbox 360 because they don't have a single 60 fps game that I want to play that I can't get on PC, and it's looking like the same is going to end up true for the PS4 and Xbone. Meanwhile my DC, PS2, GC, Xbox, Wii and Wii U all got tons of 60 fps love.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I never bothered with the PS3 or Xbox 360 because they don't have a single 60 fps game that I want to play that I can't get on PC, and it's looking like the same is going to end up true for the PS4 and Xbone. Meanwhile my DC, PS2, GC, Xbox, Wii and Wii U all got tons of 60 fps love.

Hahaha, what? Tons of DC, PS2, and GC games ran at 30FPS. In fact, most GC and Wii games cap off at 30FPS. The Dolphin Emulator boosts it past 30 but it's not normally like that, such as Xenoblade and The Last Story.

texore

Hahaha, what? Tons of DC, PS2, and GC games ran at 30FPS. In fact, most GC and Wii games cap off at 30FPS. The Dolphin Emulator boosts it past 30 but it's not normally like that, such as Xenoblade and The Last Story.
Haha your avatar matches your reaction!

rjc571

Banned

I didn't say that EVERY game on those systems was 60 fps, just that many of my favorite games were. It's hard to have a discussion with people who don't know how to read.

I didn't say that EVERY game on those systems was 60 fps, just that many of my favorite games were. It's hard to have a discussion with people who don't know how to read.

You said "got tons of love", as in those systems carried many 60FPS games. Nothing referenced only games you liked in that sentence.

No need to get offended at your own mistake. It's only video games, my friend.

nib95

Banned

Whilst I don't know what your personal favourite games of all time are, many of the most revered and highest rated games of all time actually run at 30fps or less.

Final Fantasy VII - PS1 - 30fps / 15fps
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - N64 - 20fps
Grand Theft Auto SA / VC / 5 - 30fps
Uncharted 2 - PS3 - 30fps
The Last of Us - PS3 - 30fps
Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube - 30fps
Super Mario 64 - N64 - 30fps
Metal Gear Solid - PS1 - 30fps
Halo: Combat Evolved - Xbox - 30fps

And so on.

rjc571

Banned
Whilst I don't know what your personal favourite games of all time are, many of the most revered and highest rated games of all time actually run at 30fps or less.

Final Fantasy VII - PS1 - 30fps / 15fps
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - N64 - 20fps
Grand Theft Auto SA / VC / 5 - 30fps
Uncharted 2 - PS3 - 30fps
The Last of Us - PS3 - 30fps
Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube - 30fps
Super Mario 64 - N64 - 30fps
Metal Gear Solid - PS1 - 30fps
Halo: Combat Evolved - Xbox - 30fps

And so on.

Mario Galaxy series - 60 fps
Metroid Prime series - 60 fps
Jak series - 60 fps (mostly)
Ratchet & Clank series - 60 fps
Sly Cooper series - 60 fps
F-Zero GX - 60 fps
Every major Sega game on the original Xbox (Outrun 2, JSRF, PDO, etc.) - 60 fps
Devil May Cry series - 60 fps
Ninja Gaiden - 60 fps
Rallisport Challenge series - 60 fps
Super Monkey Ball series - 60 fps
Klonoa series - 60 fps
Rayman platforming series - 60 fps
Sin & Punishment 2 - 60 fps
Tales of Symphonia series - 60 fps
Star Ocean 3 and Valkyrie Profile 2 - 60 fps

And so on.

F-Zero GX - 60 fps
Ninja Gaiden - 60 fps
Klonoa series - 60 fps

And so on.

Shenmue on the Xbox is definitely stable 30FPS.

nib95

Banned
F-Zero GX - 60 fps
Ninja Gaiden - 60 fps
Klonoa series - 60 fps

And so on.

I don't know if I'd pit most of those in the same regard as the games I listed, but sure. My point wasn't to suggest that great games can't be 60fps (obviously). If we look at the top 20 highest rated games of all time on Metacritic, not including duplicates because of different platforms, 12 of the top 20 run at 30fps or less. Point I'm trying to make is, the quality and enjoyability of a game has never been decided purely on the merits of its frame rate. Likewise with graphics too, exemplified by the recent incredible reception to Undertale. I regard Super Mario 64 as the best 3D Mario game ever made, and it happens to also be the only one that was 30fps. It's not the frame rate alone that determines the quality of the gameplay.

How you gonna list 60 fps games and leave off MGS2?

That game was a damn technical marvel.

Also, lumping in the bottom half of that list with the top "30 fps" games is one hell of stretch. I love me some 60 fps but if we're talking revered console games <30 takes the cake.

Banned
I don't know if I'd pit most of those in the same regard as the games I listed, but sure. My point wasn't to suggest that great games can't be 60fps (obviously). If we look at the top 20 highest rated games of all time on Metacritic, not including duplicates because of different platforms, 12 of the top 20 run at 30fps or less. Point I'm trying to make is, the quality and enjoyability of a game has never been decided purely on the merits of its frame rate. Likewise with graphics too, exemplified by the recent incredible reception to Undertale. I regard Super Mario 64 as the best 3D Mario game ever made, and it happens to also be the only one that was 30fps. It's not the frame rate alone that determines the quality of the gameplay.
True but my theory on that is the masses don't even know what a frame rate is and probably have never been exposed to it outside of CoD. And they probably just say CoD and FIFA feel so smooth and fast but they won't know it's because of the frame rate.

For example I'm 27 so I remember 60fps being common during gen 6 and earlier.

But today's teens and teenyboppers and college kids grew up on PS3/360 where 30fps became the norm in the HD era so they can't tell what 60fps is.

And devs will never use power for frame rate. Sony could release a console with GTX 980Ti in SLI and all the devs would do is make it as pretty as possible and cap it at 30fps. It's easy to advertise graphics because its tangible and marketable. It's hard to demonstrate 60fps and its benefits in the mainstream media in a 30 sec tv commercial.

Bolivar687

Banned
I don't know if devs are ever going to prioritize framerate. In that Polygon piece Samit Sarkar wrote, most devs responded that they'd rather leverage horsepower for more advanced physics, enemy AI, draw distance, and more than chasing the 60fps promised land. I play PC games on a 144Hz monitor, almost every game above 100fps and I really don't have a problem when I go back to PS4. I have to think that a lot of this is the placebo effect that so many of us hardcore tweakers know firsthand about.

F-Zero GX - 60 fps
Ninja Gaiden - 60 fps
Klonoa series - 60 fps

And so on.

I don't think comparing Jak to The Last of Us and Sin & Punishment to Ocarina of Time is the counter-balance you were going for.

True but my theory on that is the masses don't even know what a frame rate is and probably have never been exposed to it outside of CoD. And they probably just say CoD and FIFA feel so smooth and fast but they won't know it's because of the frame rate.

But today's teens and teenyboppers and college kids grew up on PS3/360 where 30fps became the norm in the HD era so they can't tell what 60fps is.

And devs will never use power for frame rate. Sony could release a console with GTX 980Ti in SLI and all the devs would do is make it as pretty as possible and cap it at 30fps. It's easy to advertise graphics because its tangible and marketable. It's hard to demonstrate 60fps and its benefits in the mainstream media in a 30 sec tv commercial.

I'd say some of the college kids probably don't know what framerate is because they also came from an era with 30FPS and lower games, like Star Fox on the SNES, many games on the 64, and a whole host of titles on the PS1.

nib95

Banned

I honestly don't think that's necessarily it, especially when we're talking about critical acclaim by gaming press, or hardcore gaming forums like this. Those games are rated by hundreds of outlets and journalists whom likely know exactly what the difference between 30fps and 60fps is, but the reality is it just doesn't matter all that much. The same way graphics or resolution don't either. At least regarding a games overall quality or fun factor anyway.

I'm 30 years old now, and I started gaming when I was just a child. Despite that I still prefer 30fps with more ambitious world's, more bells and whistles and better visuals, over 60fps, with the majority of games genres. It's all just a matter of preference.

FPS and racing games running at 30 fps are truly pathetic. Just wait for the remastered versions on PS5 (if there's no PC release).

If you can't tolerate 30fps don't buy consoles. Maybe buy a Wii U even their more demanding games like Zelda and Xenoblade are 30fps. So yeah just stick to PC.

rjc571

Banned
How you gonna list 60 fps games and leave off MGS2?

That game was a damn technical marvel.

Also, lumping in the bottom half of that list with the top "30 fps" games is one hell of stretch. I love me some 60 fps but if we're talking revered console games <30 takes the cake.

I thought I put it in, my bad!

<30 definitely does not take the cake. Every game in history that runs at 30 fps would be a better game if it ran at 60 fps with downgraded graphics. There isn't a single game in history which runs at 60 fps that would be better off running at 30.

I might be going crazy, but I remember lots of PS1 games being 30 fps. Currently replaying Mega Man Legends and it's 30 fps during the game, 60 on menus.

Yeah, that's true. But it's why I mentioned the sixth gen systems in particular; something like Legends would've looked even better and run at a sure-fire 60 on PS2.

It's the only 3D gen where 60 seemed like the standard and 30 was the exception.

nib95

Banned

<30 definitely does not take the cake. Every game in history that runs at 30 fps would be a better game if it ran at 60 fps with downgraded graphics. There isn't a single game in history which runs at 60 fps that would be better off running at 30.

You simply can't know that for sure, because with console games it's not always such a simple alternative. Choosing 30fps over 60fps doesn't necessarily boil down to considerations on concessions to graphics alone. It can also include things like the size of game worlds, complexity of physics, number of NPC's, amount of on screen content or geometry and so on. For all we know games like Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Uncharted 2 etc, may not have been possible as they were, without being the frame rate they were, even with a reduction in graphics.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Uh, that makes no sense, because 60fps is already ingrained into the game design at the outset in console development. The game itself is DESIGNED for 60fps or 30fps, just the same as games for consoles always are in any gen including this one. They are designed for the base framerate they are run at.

Your saying a 60fps game would not benefit overly from running at 30, but that's obvious because its already designed for 60, thus cutting the FPS only leaves visuals to upgrade.

Conversely then, that also means that there are 30fps games with development pipelines that literally could not exist in the form they were launched if they were 60fps games.

SOTC being one of the major examples.

IvorB

As much as I love GAF....

Sometimes I turn on my PS4 when the wife is out and kids asleep and play a game.

Like I did in in the 80's.

Good old fashioned fun.

30 fps is gank and you know it is. Cheapskates.

Ha ha ha!! Way back in the eighties, man. Those were the days hey?

javac

Uh, that makes no sense, because 60fps is already ingrained into the game design at the outset in console development. The game itself is DESIGNED for 60fps or 30fps, just the same as games for consoles always are in any gen including this one. They are designed for the base framerate they are run at.

Your saying a 60fps game would not benefit overly from running at 30, but that's obvious because its already designed for 60, thus cutting the FPS only leaves visuals to upgrade.

Conversely then, that also means that there are 30fps games with development pipelines that literally could not exist in the form they were launched if they were 60fps games.

SOTC being one of the major examples.

This doesn't make much sense.

BruceCLea

Banned
There's actually a dial on the back you can twist to turn on 60 fps mode. It's on 30 fps for power consumption reasons.

I've been playing all my games 60 fps/1080p. It's great.

I play counter strike and battlefield at 120fps on a lightboost monitor.

Framerate matters, but your eyes get used to it. I only really notice when you switch from one to the other.

Playing bloodborne felt fine because I was playing bloodborne all the time.

Playing destiny felt weird because I had just played 100 hours of mgs5 at 60fps.

I don't even understand the title of the thread.

I get the idea of what you are saying but it comes across like word Vomit.

I agree for the most part. 30fps is barely playable to me anymore. Years of PC does that to you.

I'm 30 years old now, and I started gaming when I was just a child. Despite that I still prefer 30fps with more ambitious world's, more bells and whistles and better visuals, over 60fps, with the majority of games genres. It's all just a matter of preference.

I guess the problem comes in where the user has no choice (which is maybe what the OP means? idk, drunk thread). So while it is nice that a game is apparently more ambitious at 30fps (even then this is kind of debatable if a game is primarily GPU heavy), that is just a "virtual" thing. The same game wouldn't be considered technical ambitious on better hardware.... and since the consoles are kinda low end...one can draw that comparison more easily. It tends to feel like a compromise as soon as one compares to other things.

Have many 30fps console titles this gen pushed world interactivity and physicalization in an ambitious way? Games that seem to be pushing those categories in new and ambitious directions seem to run poorly: AC U and dead rising 3 come tomind.

Top Bottom