• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 14th Anniversary, Final Fantasy IX!

Squire

Banned
0u3C4hX.jpg

So, apparently today is the 14th anniversary of Final Fantasy IX. That's going around my twitter feed right now and according to Wikipedia at least, the game was indeed released on July 7, 2000.

I actually just finished playing through the game for the first time, myself. Like, I literally just finished it a few hours ago. What timing, eh?

I started about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago after a friends high recommendation. I didn't do an LTTP, but I posted in the FF community thread some, I tweeted a whole bunch, and I even went on the RPGSite podcast to talk to them about it.

They say they don't make 'em like they used to and boy howdy - they ain't lyin'.

Anyway, GAF I'm madly madly in love with this game. I think it's brilliant from top to bottom; it really touched my soul. A very happy anniversary to you, FFIX. Well done. Well deserved.

This was one of the hardest games I've ever played. I've gone through the first disc without finding a good way to heal (very few potions, no Healing spell) so boss fights were very irritating.

stephen08

As time goes on I find myself thinking more and more this game is my favorite Final Fantasy. Absolutely incredible game.

Hated it. To me, it was just an easy mix of the older FF games without any inspiration. And the battle system oh my god...

At least FF8 tried something.

liquidtmd

Banned
I appreciated and liked VII very much, I found VIII to be a good solid experience but yes my love is reserved for IX.

Fantastic game. I see it as a wonderful end and culmination to the VII-IX PS1 Fantasy trilogy.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I bought it as PSOne Classic for Vita last Saturday! I always wanted to try FFIX, but never got around to doing it... maybe because I really don't like FFVII and I don't see any appeal on FFVIII. This would be my first time playing IX
if the game wasn't in Spanish. I refuse to play a game in Spanish. English or burst. I'm calling SCEE today to see if I can get the English version of the game (doubt it) or a refund.

But I'd love to play FFIX on my Vita :)

As time goes on I find myself thinking more and more this game is my favorite Final Fantasy. Absolutely incredible game.

Absolutely agree. I think this is the one which has aged best too, with no bad voice acting to cringe through. It's probably my second or third favourite, after FFVII and as good as FFVI.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
So long ago... Remember being in elementary school and buying this on launch day; surprisingly well actually. Goes to show how much of an impression the game made on me. :)

random25

My 3rd most favorite Final Fantasy game, and up until this day I consider the perfect model of a Final Fantasy game. It is just the perfected formula of the series: characters, story, balance, difficulty, setting, music, art.

This is also the game where stealing is the most frustrating thing to do, especially when doing it against bosses lol.

Squire

Banned
My 3rd most favorite Final Fantasy game, and up until this day I consider the perfect model of a Final Fantasy game. It is just the perfected formula of the series: characters, story, balance, difficulty, setting, music, art.

This is also the game where stealing is the most frustrating thing to do, especially when doing it against bosses lol.

Agreed 100%. I really think FFIX is the model to follow. I feel like it has everything you want from a game like this and it does it all so well!

I really liked that they made Zidane your Thief. That made it so I never forgot stealing was an option.

nubbe

I never used steal when I was a kid, because stealing is wrong

But killing is ok

the things we learn our children :p

This may not be my favourite Final Fantasy, but it embodies everything I love about the series. I adore the entire cast, the world is my favourite of the entire series, the music is incredible and really memorable and I especially like the pacing and direction of the cutscenes.

The slowness of the battles and the final boss battle are its only blemishes in my eyes.

The high point of the franchise, and one of my all-time favourite games ever. Best art direction I've ever seen in an RPG, a story that has all the best adventure tropes while also having some wonderfully personal and poignant dramatic moments, a battle system that was easy to understand, but provided a load of depth... the one main complaint I have is the Trance system.

Aside from that, probably my most loved and most played RPG. I must have sunk 300 hours into this game over various playthroughs. The music alone is enough to keep me coming back .

NateDog

Still my favourite FF game after playing IV, VI, VII, VIII and XIII so far and I doubt it will be dislodged. Really have to go back and replay it some time, the game has such wonderful charm that I haven't experienced in any other title.

Tu101uk

My personal all-time favourite FF. This and FFVIII had the best OSTs for me, and I love almost all of the characters. It really embodies the very best aspects of fantasy RPGs, and the FF series in general.

This is a wonderful game. Yeah, the battles are too slow, but there's so much else to love. It's got an amazing soundtrack, characters like Vivi and Steiner, and I really dig the whole feel of the game. Happy anniversary!

KeRaSh

Great game, great music,
best card game!
I had a physical version of Tetra Master back in the days. I should try and find it. I loved that game so much...

Zelias

Banned
One of my former housemates left his PSX on overnight playing the Chocobo Hot & Cold theme. I can still annoy friends just by playing a bit of it, as I like the song :)

And I think I'd say IX is my 2nd favourite after VI. Great story, great classic FF atmosphere, wonderful music. Battle system being slow is its major flaw, but the rest is near flawless.

BasilZero

My most favorite FF game and actually one of my first purchased FF games (all the other ones I've had before such as IV and VI were all rented and afterwards I went backwards in purchases lol).

I need to play this again.

Manu

Happy birthday, you slow, ugly*, overrated, but yet still pretty good game.

*ugly as in character designs. The game looks great.

Tizoc

Still one of my fav. RPGs, despite having the most snorefest battle speed in the series.

...and why can't you guys wait a year...I mean anniversaries every 5 years is better...because 5>10>15>etc.

curb

Banned
IX is my favorite Final Fantasy and one of my favorite game experiences of all time. I did my third playthrough a couple summers ago when I first got my Vita and I think it's still fantastic.

NotSelf

I remember this game completely taking me out of reality games don't really do that to me anymore probably just my age but ya definitely have fond memories of playing it.
tumblr_lrqaq399zy1qi7rrx.gif

Dezcom

And with that news to wake up to, I am older than I would like to admit.

The PS2 came out that year in US as well.

That was one of the great things about BC: developers not having to worry about sending their games out to die at the end of a gen/new gen hype, you could throw your PS1 in the closet and take your memory card and the game and continue your progress on the PS2.

Jarnet87

My personal favorite in the series. The best cast of characters, fantastic soundtrack, great classic battle system. It's got your classic save the world story, but I thought they did a much better job with character development. My only gripe is the Chocobo Hot and Cold game, I am absolutely terrible at it. I was recently playing IX again and I decided to try learning the mini game, all it did was completely derail my progress and I ended up just putting the game down. I've only finished the game once or twice, every time I restart it I get to disc 3 or 4 before stopping.

sasliquid

Definetly one of the best 3d entries in the series and the last in terms of 'classic ff design'. Would be my undisputed fav 3d ff if not for the slowish combat and the drawn out and poorly paced parts at the beginnings of discs 1 and, especially, 3. It's highs are amongst the best in the series though
'you are not alone' rivals parts of FF6 to me in the feels department and that's one of my favourite games of all time

My god, the towns in this game are fucking mind blowing. Daguerreo :3

Best FF, easily IMO. Shame about the battle load times but it's a small price to pay when everything else is so good.

My favourite Final Fantasy without a doubt.
The music, the town, the characters... They are the best in every department.
Vivi and Steiner best comedic duo ever!
Also the intro that still gives me goosbumps.
Vivi watching the airship in the sky just was a hint of the discoveries you will see, and the music crescendo during the title is the stuff of legends. Here starts your adventure!

I loved that bravely Default was a (small) return to this type of FF. Too bad the w¡towns are small in that one.

TheGamer

This is one of my favorite final fantasy games. I really hope next year they come out with a special edition to celebrate the 15th anniversary. I would love an HD remake like they did with FFX.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I liked a lot about it back in the day but got bored some point around the second disc (I think) and never beat it. Shame the snail-paced battle system makes it unplayable for me nowadays, I've been having a blast replaying FF7.

Top Bottom