• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 20th birthday PS2 (Japanese launch )

Zero7

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the Japanese launch of thr best selling and ome of the greatest consoles of all time, the ol mighty PlayStation 2.

From the start the PS2 had some of the greatest games of it's time. Ridge Racer v, Tekken Tag Tournament. Then along came other amazing games, like GT3, GTA3, MGS2 the list goes on.

The PS2 also sparked the DVD market to become the sucess it is amd offered full BC with all PS1 games and accessories.

It also seen off all its big and more powerful competitors like the Xbox and Gamecube. Even forcing Sega to quit consoles altogether

I never had a dull moment with the PS2 it deserves the legacy it still has

Happy birthday you black box of awesomeness

Naibel

No joke, I played my PS2 more than my PS4 in 2019. Amazing system that will never die.

Same lol ! The PS2 is my favorite Playstation system by far, and I simply enjoy playing its games more than a lot of the modern ones. No system updates, no installation, no DLC, everything's onto the disc and it's just quicker to jump in and have fun.

And also, in terms of graphics, many of those games have aged exceptionally well. To think they're approaching the 20 year mark is nothing short of astonishing !

For example, MGS2, ZOE 2, Silent Hill 3 (those facial animations were gorgeous back then), Burnout 3/Revenge, Gradius V, Gran Turismo 3/4 and SMT : Nocturne held up surprisingly well. And guess what, they are great-playing games too ! I regret sleeping on many of those titles, simply because I was a lot more into GameCube at the time.

Happy birthday to that big black monolith of greatness. 20 years... Damn, I feel old... :messenger_dizzy:

PS : I love how low-key the Japanese PS2 launch ads were. Simple slice-of-life moments, showing people's excitement over Sony's new machine. They should do more of them for PS5.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

My first "modern" console. (My last console was the MegaDrive)

Got it as a teenage, for Metal Gear Solid 2...

Then Metal Gear Solid 3, Final Fantasy X/X-2, Guilty Gear X/X2, Devil May Cry 1/3, Guitar Hero, Dragon Ball : Budokai... So many hours went on these and many others :)

ZywyPL

Banned
PS2 thin was the best looking console.

Fixed for accuracy ;)

It's not a coincidence it's the best selling console of all times, it was simply the best console of all times - the tech, the looks, and the damn games, that was Sony at their peak. It actually feels like a bad joke that PS4 is catching it up in global lifetime sales, it's basically a low-end PC with 4-5 TPP games...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
PS2 thin was such an amazing looking console.

I don't know if both me and my brother weren't as careful enough as kids or if the console itself was just extremely fragile (i think there's truth on both) but that optical disk drive worked like 20% of the times.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonF

THE GOAT

Happy birthday, I can only hope we get another generation as great as the ps2 gen. Lots of genres, lots of great games, creativity, risks...

Shin

Banned
Not even PlayStation Japan gives a flying fuck, that's some shit.
Players and the media are remembering the legendary console though.

ESM1aQeUYAAxv92

Shin

Banned
I still have my PS2 somewhere
Lucky you, the worst thing that could have happen to mine did.
There were more memories and nostalgia related to mine than any other console.
My idiotic parents gave it away or something, I have some of the games still but the console and joypads are nowhere to be found.

Poop!

Fun fact: the launch PS2 didn't have the DVD drivers on the internal hardware, they were on a memory card so every launch unit came on with a memory card for this reason. Once the DVD drivers were added to the internal BIOS then the memory cards were not included.

Fun fact: The PS2 launch unit did not have an empty bay for a HDD. If you wanted to use the HDD on a launch unit, you were forced to buy an external one.

Fun fact: Tekken Tag Tournament was *not* a launch game. The best launch launch game was Ridge Racer 5

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That was an epic moment!

Almost a million units in a single day.. first time that ever happened!

Happy birthday sexy shoe box! :messenger_beaming:

Top Bottom