• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday PSP (2 years old)

kenta

Has no PEINS
omg rite said:
Couldn't disagree more. It looks horrible.

What made the original look so cool was the great animation and 2D art.

Now it looks stiff and he has no personality when moving.

Hope they fix that.
I didn't play the original games for their animation and art, I played them because I really liked the sense of humor and thought they were fun and creative. If this manages to bring back the nostalgia then it's on baby, it's on

Matix said:
Its already sold like 10 copies in Japan thus far, but NIS is fighting for it to be brought stateside (by begging its fans)..

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/08/31/nis-help-us-fanboys-youre-our-only-hope/
http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/11/15/most-ridiculous-disgaea-interview-ever/

So some hope is still left, again.. believe.

Isn't there the same type of thing going on with Riviera for the PSP as well?

I'd buy it again. It looks gorgeous on the PSP.

ss-001.jpg

ss-003.jpg

ss-010.jpg

ss-012.jpg

Pristine_Condition said:
Isn't there the same type of thing going on with Riviera for the PSP as well?

I'd buy it again. It looks gorgeous on the PSP.

ss-001.jpg

ss-003.jpg

ss-010.jpg

ss-012.jpg

It looks exactly the ****ing same as the GBA version.

But happy birthday Princess Crown Portable.

Bebpo

Banned
Deku said:
Aren't you some kind of RPG fanboy? How can you put more hours into it than the DS?

Because all the good rpgs are on the PSP?

On the DS front:
-Contact, I got bored with and shelved.
-Mario & Luigi 2, which I got bored of and shelved (I loved the GBA original, but not the sequel so much).
-Tales of the Tempest, forcing myself to slug through it (made 10 hours so far over 2 months!).
-FFIII, I didn't like and shelved it.
-Xenosaga 1+2, didn't like and shelved it.
-Lost Magic, got bored of and shelved it.
-Children of Mana, didn't like and shelved it.
-Egg Monster Heroes, didn't like and shelved it.

So yeah unless you want to count Slime Mori Mori 2 as an rpg (which I absolutely loved and finished it) or the Pheonix Wright games as rpgs (which I also love and finished the first one, playing the 2nd now)...then I haven't actually finished a DS rpg yet because for my tastes they've all been lackluster. The combined hours sunk into all those above probably don't equal more than 30-40 hours.

Meanwhile on the PSP:
-Tales of Eternia, loved it and finished it around 30 hours.
-Tales of Phantasia, loved it and finished it around 30 hours.
-Metal Gear Acid, loved it and finished it around 23 hours.
-Metal Gear Acid, love it and really need to find time to get back to it.
-Monster Kingdom, liked it and put about 15 hours in before backlogging it.
-Brave Story, liked it but backlogged it right away because of time.
-Devil Summoner, didn't like it and shelved it.
-Tengai Makyou IV, liked it but backlogged it right away because of time.
-Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, liked it but eventually moved to the PS1 version instead.
-Suikoden I+II, love the games but played them on PS1 and no time to go through them again.
-Popolocrois, didn't like it and shelved it.
-Princess Crown, didn't like and shelved it.
-Jean D' Arc, love it and currently playing it.

So yeah, besides Devil Summoner (I'm not really into old-school first person SMT games), Popolocrois, and Princess Crown (animation was great, but gameplay was meh) I've pretty much enjoyed all the rpgs/s-rpgs on the PSP and finished a good handful. While a lot of the rpg selection is made up of ports, for games like Popolocrois/Devil Summoner/Tengai Makyou/Princess Crown, these are games never released in the west so they're new to me (and I personally got into the Tales series late so the PS1 Tales were new to me as well). Still that's gotta be 100-200 hours invested right there.

That being said I'm looking forward to the DS Atlus dungeon rpg as well as the FFT-like SRPG. Maybe they'll be the first two DS rpgs I actually finish. Interesting that I've faired a lot better with the GBA rpg library as I finished and enjoyed Mario & Luigi, Golden Sun, FFTA, Mother 3, and liked FF1+2. DS needs more big hits like FFTA and Mother 3 that are highly polished excellent rpgs/s-rpgs.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Speaking of Portable Ops, it's amazing to see a new MGS get released and have so little discussion surrounding it. :\

NomarTyme

Bebpo said:
Because all the good rpgs are on the PSP?
Both system have been disappointing in the RPG department for me. Too bad I don't know any Japanese I might have pick up Brave Story and Monster Kingdom Jewel.

I hated the PSP and didn't want to keep it until I got my 4 gig stick and downgraded.

The PSP is now my most played system this year (although that's half because I'm just not home enough to play my consoles, so it's not really fair), and the library kicked up the pace substantially.

Too bad Sony managed to **** the thing up so bad.

Snaku

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Speaking of Portable Ops, it's amazing to see a new MGS get released and have so little discussion surrounding it. :\

PSP. =/

I'm enjoying the Hell out of it though. Happy Birthday PSP. I'll stick around long enough to play Crisis Core.

pspmy7.jpg

So GITS and PIQ suck, and tokobot is boring, but the rest of those I play on a regular basis (sans unopened katamari)!

PSP's definately proven itself to be awesome, and have lots of fun games. If I'm not playing ones of these, I'm watchin video on it.

And to the nintendo fanboyz, piss off, ds has it's share of port games and hardware issues. If I went into a DS b-day thread and said "OMG stylus and touchscreens are gimicky! Nintendo fails" I'd be insta-perma-banned.

Short story: happy b-day psp!

aeolist

Banned
Snaku said:
Give it another year. Hopefully a cheaper redesign will hit the market soon.
Well I do want Loco Roco and Lumines... but that's about it... and Lumines is coming to the PS2 I think.

Dragona Akehi said:
It looks exactly the ****ing same as the GBA version.

Uh, I have the GBA version and played though it twice.

No, It doesn't look that good. You must have some sort of super GBAs with the really clear, bright, higher res widescreen or something.

You know, the one that doesn't exist.

Also, the PSP version has full voice over, and much better audio from reviews I've read.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Pristine_Condition said:
I pray for a Loco Roco 2 as well, although I'm not complaining about the free downloadable levels they've given us. Can't wait until Tuesday.

If not on PSP, it should be on the PS3 with Sixaxis controls

aeolist

Banned
theBishop said:
Yep. Also, I'd buy a 60" Plasma TV if it cost $8.
Oh man that would be a totally awesome deal, and not at all a comment indicating my inhibitions involved with purchasing the products being currently discussed!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Wario64 said:
If not on PSP, it should be on the PS3 with Sixaxis controls

locoroco will definitely suit the ps3 very well :D. maybe we can hope for a director's cut of sorts, with all the extra levels added in too for the ps3.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
MLB 06: The Show is all I play on mine (not a knock at all, I have literally put hundreds of hours playing all of spring training, 162-game regular season, and playoffs). Such an awesome game -- I can't believe a sports game of that quality is possible on a handheld.

Throw in the other two dozen or so PSP games that I've enjoyed and I'm thoroughly pleased with what the system has offered me. Happy B-Day, PSP!

Still remember the day I got the package (thanks Jonnyram):

im0001863uu.jpg

Dilbert

Has it been two years already? Holy crap. I remember going into work slightly late so I could pick up my preorder on launch day. I had just enough time to charge it before going on a business trip that afternoon. I seem to remember spending all of my time on Lumines and Wipeout Pure on that trip -- didn't even touch Ridge Racer or Twisted Metal: Head On for weeks because of how great the other two games were.

I certainly hope it's still a viable system in a couple of years, since it has gotten some outstanding games in its first two. I couldn't care less about the DS vs. PSP sales bullshit -- just as long as there is enough support from paying customers to keep the new, good games coming.

Still have my imported launch Japanese version, and ceramic white just because it looks so good, imported as well.

Actually it's first handheld system that doesn't put me off, but I use it mostly for media purposes (I play MHF from time to time).

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Neither is mine!

It must be special!!

Saw a friend playing Marvel Versus Capcom and slew of other CPS2 Neo Geo games on his and we all know how crazy those Versus fighters and shooters get....and....well damn, blurry my ass!!

It blew me away though that those emu guys got something like arcade Capcom Versus games going at full speed.

Ghosting!=blurring

do those games really run at full speed?

Barkley's Justice said:
do those games really run at full speed?

Yes, it truly does.

I first thought that it would likely be the older CPS2 games like Super Street Fighter 2 and stuff when they spoke of good speed emulation of Capcom's CPS2 arcade board but when my friend showed me the Capcom Versus fighters on his PSP I pretty much said "Holy Shit!" Same goes for Neo Geo!

I sold my DS back in January to buy a PSP. I have not regretted this move for one second since then.

PSP>>>iPod video - cheaper, too - that's why Sony can get away with not dropping the price for this long, they see iPod as their real competition, not the DS.

Bring on Silent Hill!

Jake.

how are fighting games on the PSP? i would presume they would suck because of the retarded d-pad but is there any truth to that? i thought the DS would suck for fighters but they did an awesome job with bleach overall (control-wise).

Armitage

I have a 1.5 PSP, I'm actually thinking of selling it. The only problem is that is has some dead pixels and a loose power switch. Other than that it's great, no nicks or scratches. I just find myself only using it for music and occasionally some videos. Portable games just aren't for me, I think.

hyp

just thought i'd drop in to give the psp some love. **** the haters, you're still one hell of piece of machinery in my book. happy b-day you sexy beast.

in current rotation: gunpey, every extend extra, bomberman, and dj max portable. oh, can't forget syphon filter via PS3 download.

portables.jpg

bah, all those game lists make me salivate - and now most of those are at good prices as well :D

but the system is $279.99 Canadian, I'm sorry, but my Wii costs the same price, that's quite an investment.

but i will buy one, when it's down to $150 CND

Jake XXX said:
how are fighting games on the PSP? i would presume they would suck because of the retarded d-pad but is there any truth to that? i thought the DS would suck for fighters but they did an awesome job with bleach overall (control-wise).

Dark Resurrection is the best portable fighting game ever made, no ifs, ands or buts. Stuff like Street Fighter that requires quarter circles doesn't work as well, though peopel say Guilty Gear controls great.

Eveybody waiting for a price drop can stop holding their breath now, it's not coming. When Sony came out with it they said they were going to a new pricing model, one that doesn't involve price cuts. They're going for the Apple model, that creates desirability by charging a premium price rather than continuously deavaluing the product by slashing the price every 6 months.

There is NO competition for the PSP, there's nothing that does what it does. On the one side there's the iPod video, which is more expensive, has a much smaller screen and no web or game playing capabilities; on the other there's the DS that can't do anything but play games (nobody actually owns a Play-Yan).

The fact that Sony sold 400k PSPs in November proves that the thing's alive and kicking at that price, and they're making a profit off each unit now.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I've never seen a single person considering an ipod think about getting a PSP. If that was their goal, they went about it all wrong. And it's just now I see ads highlighting just the media capabilities of the unit. That said, if someone wants games and a music video device there really is no comparable choice. A nice little program by Missing Sync even makes it play simple as pie with my Mac.

AniHawk

-jinx- said:
Has it been two years already? Holy crap. I remember going into work slightly late so I could pick up my preorder on launch day. I had just enough time to charge it before going on a business trip that afternoon. I seem to remember spending all of my time on Lumines and Wipeout Pure on that trip -- didn't even touch Ridge Racer or Twisted Metal: Head On for weeks because of how great the other two games were.

I certainly hope it's still a viable system in a couple of years, since it has gotten some outstanding games in its first two. I couldn't care less about the DS vs. PSP sales bullshit -- just as long as there is enough support from paying customers to keep the new, good games coming.

That's the kind of sane, rational thinking I hate to see.

mollipen

I owned one game when I purchased the system at launch back in March 2005. Today I own... er, three games.

I still try to love the little thing anyhow, because it is a nice system in theory. Just a shame about load times, and the fact that Sony hasn't harnessed alien technology to give us a battery worth a damn yet.

Oneself

I'd take a picture of my PSP collection (as I did once in a "PSP has no games thread" but now it's a much more complete collection) but my ****ing camera broke less than a month ago.
And I will complete this superb collection by ordering Parappa in about 5 minutes.

Happy birthday PSP. You're my favorite handheld system ever.

Musashi Wins! said:
I've never seen a single person considering an ipod think about getting a PSP. If that was their goal, they went about it all wrong. And it's just now I see ads highlighting just the media capabilities of the unit. That said, if someone wants games and a music video device there really is no comparable choice. A nice little program by Missing Sync even makes it play simple as pie with my Mac.

I don't think that Sony was aiming for an iPod killer with PSP. I think the PSP was a multidirectional assault. If nobody bought the games and people instead took advantage of the media capabilities, then Sony can claim success. If people bought the games and ignored the media, then Sony can claim success. This type of ambiguity would ensure that Sony can claim some kind of victory regardless of the outcome.

We see that today in Japan: able to sell 20,000 units a week with poor software sales. People are using the PSP for something. Perhaps its to buy secondhand games but I'd say it could be because of the media capabilities. If Sony sells each unit at a profit, then Sony wins with either strategy.

fse

I only have 4 games for it, nothing interests me right now on PSP sadly.
DS is where its at yo.

From my point of view, Sony really over delivered with the PSP. It is a great system.

I wanted a portable multi-media device that would give me gameplay experiences like the PSOne and PS2.

I brought a Japanese launch machine at great expense, but it has been worth every penny.

The games have been great, just stuff like Wipeout, Burnout, GTA:Liberty Stories, Ridge Racers.

To any casual observer these games are indistinguishable from the PS2 versions. That is some amazing achievement.

The PSP has been a lifesaver for long journeys, we use the movie playback feature with my kids all the time, it has got us to many a long haul holiday destination in happy spirits.

The photo viewer is also a great way to carry around family photos to show friends and relatives.

My wife and I met up with some old schools friends in New York back in January. I took a few home videos of my kids and put them onto the PSP, it was a great way to share that sort of stuff.

The internet browser is still a little clunky for anything but viewing, but it is use to have it there when you need it.

I'm looking forward to using the remote connection with the PS3, being able to access the harddrive content from anywhere will be extremely useful.

Favourite games: Pro Evo Soccer 5, Loco Roco, Burnout Legends, Daxter, Everybody Golf

Happy Birthday PSP

M3wThr33

Banned
I love my PSP.
I love the case that came with MPO, and the game itself. I also finally picked up MGA2 for $13 at Circuit City.

I have plenty of games I want for it in the near future, like Lumines II and a compilation or two.

I jumped in, what, a couple of months ago; swapped my GameCube and a couple unwanted games for one from a friend who wasn't interested with it anymore. Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins, Lumines, and LocoRoco have been solid. Ace Combat X, and Field Commander have been ****ing ace. For what it's worth, it's been a good secondary handheld for me alongside my DS (a somewhat lengthy commute makes portable gaming a mainstay in my gaming life); the very least I can do is salute it for a second birthday, perhaps not quite so well earned, but earned all the same. :)

Cdammen

So... have the fixed the square/directional buttons yet? I want one soo bad but I ain't buying defective hardware. I've played a friend's PSP and I had to mash the directional keys hard to get a input.

Top Bottom