• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Veterans Day 2022

ahtlas7

from one vet to any others
Sexy American GIF

I joined in early 2002, went to Pensacola Florida for A-school, did a lot of coke, ecstasy, and strippers (not necessarily in that order), then got out. I didn’t do anything in my time with the military except learn how to mess up in life, so it’s strange to me when people thank me, especially when I get recognized at work for it. It makes me feel weird and brings me down a notch.
Truthfully I straight up feel bad when people thank me.
However, to the vets that have actually contributed to something positive for the US military, I thank you…but will never thank myself, or accept thanks for the things I saw or did in my time with the military 🤷‍♂️

poodaddy

I joined in early 2002, went to Pensacola Florida for A-school, did a lot of coke, ecstasy, and strippers (not necessarily in that order), then got out. I didn’t do anything in my time with the military except learn how to mess up in life, so it’s strange to me when people thank me, especially when I get recognized at work for it. It makes me feel weird and brings me down a notch.
However, to the vets that have actually contributed to something positive for the US military, I thank you…but will never thank myself, or accept thanks for the things I saw or did in my time with the military 🤷‍♂️
I did nothing with my service but get broken trying to make 1st Group. Missed deployment too as a result and everyone thought I did it on purpose. I'm not too proud of my service either, but at least we had the guts to sign up ya know? I often say the best thing I did for my family was break a lot of shit in the Army trying to be something I just wasn't cut out to be. I sometimes think about what kind of example that is for my daughter, that I pay our mortgage because I wasn't even good enough to make it through one special training school without snapping like a weak twig.

Eh, we all make it somehow I guess.

I did nothing with my service but get broken trying to make 1st Group. Missed deployment too as a result and everyone thought I did it on purpose. I'm not too proud of my service either, but at least we had the guts to sign up ya know? I often say the best thing I did for my family was break a lot of shit in the Army trying to be something I just wasn't cut out to be. I sometimes think about what kind of example that is for my daughter, that I pay our mortgage because I wasn't even good enough to make it through one special training school without snapping like a weak twig.

Eh, we all make it somehow I guess.
So much this! I’m glad I’m not the only one. I was young and dumb, and wanted to follow in my Dads footsteps as he retired a Master Chief in the Navy after 22 years. I’m sure I get like I wasn’t accepted by him unless I did similar. We are great now though, that’s the silly thing, I was in my own head lol.
But you are correct. I can honestly say that I scored in the top 5% in the asvab, successfully completed boot camp, AND survived the gas chamber in boot camp lol.
Anyway, thanks for sharing! This holiday has always sucked for me because I legitimately feel like I’m garbage for 24 hours even though I’m what I would call a successful civilian.

poodaddy

So much this! I’m glad I’m not the only one. I was young and dumb, and wanted to follow in my Dads footsteps as he retired a Master Chief in the Navy after 22 years. I’m sure I get like I wasn’t accepted by him unless I did similar. We are great now though, that’s the silly thing, I was in my own head lol.
But you are correct. I can honestly say that I scored in the top 5% in the asvab, successfully completed boot camp, AND survived the gas chamber in boot camp lol.
Anyway, thanks for sharing! This holiday has always sucked for me because I legitimately feel like I’m garbage for 24 hours even though I’m what I would call a successful civilian.
Bro our paths are so similar haha. My dad was a Master Chief in the Air Force, 23 years retired. Felt like his shoes were impossible to fill, joined at 21 as I was just a drunk nobody in TN, filling my days with mudding, talking shit, and smoking. I thought joining would make me worthwhile, just made me feel like even more of a nobody in the long run. I'm doing fine now, and yeah I think my father would have never given a damn about me if I didn't join, but ....I sometimes wish I could remove the whole damn thing from my mind. Just like delete the memories haha.

Fuck that goddamn gas chamber though dude lol. Fuckin evil shit.

Bro our paths are so similar haha. My dad was a Master Chief in the Air Force, 23 years retired. Felt like his shoes were impossible to fill, joined at 21 as I was just a drunk nobody in TN, filling my days with mudding, talking shit, and smoking. I thought joining would make me worthwhile, just made me feel like even more of a nobody in the long run. I'm doing fine now, and yeah I think my father would have never given a damn about me if I didn't join, but ....I sometimes wish I could remove the whole damn thing from my mind. Just like delete the memories haha.

Fuck that goddamn gas chamber though dude lol. Fuckin evil shit.
Right!!! Like, they should legit get rid of Veterans Day. Truthfully, all my friends who have served don’t care for it at all lol. Should be appreciated 365…only in America do we set a specific day to celebrate something important because we are so self-centered, 🤦‍♂️.

Mondai

I feel the same , I wasn’t in for long (4 years) but I know I didn’t contribute anything substantial to the US military and I joined purely for selfish reasons so I feel like a tool when people thank me for my service (thankfully that really doesn’t happen anymore).

Top Bottom